• Published 27th Feb 2013
  • 3,921 Views, 151 Comments

Macintosh of Arabia - Crisis_Vyper



Big Macintosh......a simple pony managing a fairly simple family business. But when this order of business brought him to the dunes of Saddle Arabia where the laws of the land are utterly foreign to him. As things gets from bad to worse, who could he

  • ...
4
 151
 3,921

Business Proposition

It is late in the afternoon and the red stallion's heart is pounding with uncertainty. What will he expect from this meeting? What will happen during this meeting? What will come out from this meeting? Those are the questions that Big Macintosh asked himself. Vinyl and Fatimah waved goodbye to the two stallions, while several of the Janissary bodyguards guard them in their room. Amanar and the rest of Abu Hamza's bodyguards proceed to form a protective circle around the two stallions as they walked out from their living quarters.

The hallway is utterly devoid of anypony, but the sounds of the birds chirping and the flowing waterfalls could be heard echoing through the hallway. For some reason, this relaxes the red stallion a little for it really reminded him of his time in Ponyville. He is never truly an urban pony, and for him the simple and easygoing life of the farm is a pleasure all in itself. It was not long before they are standing before a very large marble door, carved with floral patterns and fruits. Big Macintosh gulps as he looks upon this imposing door.

"Are you ready my friend?" Abu Hamza asked the red stallion.The Sheikh puts his hoof on the shoulder of the red stallion to calm him down, giving him a smile of reassurance. Big Macintosh could only smile weakly back, but he appreciates the support that the light brown stallion is giving him.

As the large marble doors open up, Big Macintosh could see that the room where they are to meet the council is relatively humbler than the usual architecture of the palace. Instead of intricately carved and etched iconography and diamonds, the interior of the room consist of just smooth white marble. Big Macintosh also see several old ponies sitting down upon finely-sewn carpets, each wearing a very truncated cone made of red felt, with a tassel attached to the top. Their blue robes are simple in design, and something that the red stallion could appreciate. Nonetheless, he also noticed that fully half of the room is empty. In front of the equines, a simple throne carved from a single block of marble could be seen and Big Macintosh could recognize the Grand Vizier from three nights before standing beside the empty throne.

"Presenting Presenting Sheikh Abu Hamza bin Mohammad Hishamudin, The Custodian of Al-Barna of the Remal al-Sahra Al-Khayl clan and Big Macintosh, Son of Apple!" Big Macintosh recognized the voice that announced their arrival, but heed no attention to it. The other elderly equines turned their attention to the entourage, and the sound of murmurs could be heard.

"This afternoon's agenda is that of Sheikh Abu Hamza's business proposal of allowing the trade and sale of the Apple Family's Zap Apple Jam in the lands of Saddle Arabia. For the sake of the Equestrian, this meeting shall be conducted in Equestrian." Suddenly one of the elder equines started saying something in Saddle Arabian in an angry and insulted tone. Before long several other Saddle Arabian elders are also voicing out their discontent. Big Macintosh could only wonder what on Equestria are they talking about before the Sheikh whispered in his ear.
"They do not want to speak in Equestrian. Looks like we are off to a bumpy start." Big Macintosh once again gulped.

"SILENCE!" An elder started to speak, and it appears that the elder is much younger than most of the elders in the room. He is a rather slender brownish-yellow equine, but his dark brown beard and his mane have streaks of white in it. It also appears that the equine has a large amount of influence as the other elders stopped their ramblings, and are now quiet once more.
"Now that the court is in order, may we ask about why this trade would benefit Saddle Arabia?" The murmurs continue on, but it was not long before Sheikh Abu Hamza breaks the murmurs with his own voice.

"We believe," Sheikh Abu Hamza gestured to the red stallion, "that due to the Saddle Arabian's preferences to sweet products, the Zap Apple Jam would be received positively by Saddle Arabians of all strata of society thus allowing for a great amount of profit between our nations.The income from the trade shall help us improve upon the infrastructure of Saddle Arabia, allowing us to create roads that are reliable and easier for the caravans of Saddle Arabia to travel upon without the fear of being harassed by raiders or predators." The council is now quiet, and Big Macintosh could only listen as he had nothing else to say in this rather large court.It was then that another equine, a copper-colored equine with a silver mane started talking.

"Why do we have to trade with Equestria? Surely there are other nations in which we could trade with such as the Hathi Empire? They are rather large creatures to begin with and I am sure that logistic-wise it would be cheaper to trade with them than with the Equestrians as a result of their close proximity to Saddle Arabia." The copper-coated stallion has a point, and some of the other Elders nod their head in agreement. Unfazed by the stallion's early advances, the Sheikh immediately formed an argument against this point that the Elder made.

"As we all know, the Hathi Empire's appetite for food is such that they are even forced to find other food sources to sustain their population. They would not be able to even hand us anything resembling seedlings to help our population. In fact, as a result of that, the Hathi Empire even have to turn on the Equestrians to feed their people. The lands of Equestria is as vast as it is verdant, and the ponies of the land had never experienced starvation or conflict for several thousand years. They have indeed produced surpluses that they are willing to trade to countries that wanted them." The Sheikh said his point eloquently and confidently.

There was even more hushed whispers among the Sheikhs as the copper-coated stallion absorbs the points of the Sheikh, and Big Macintosh could only wonder what on Equestria are they whispering about. Soon enough, the hush whispers stopped and Big Macintosh could only wonder what is going on.The copper-coated elder then turns his attention to the red farmpony. The silvery eyes of the Elder now pierces into the red farmpony's soul, seeking for an answer. His rather steely voice did not help in calming Red Macintosh's nerves.

"Is this true? That you have more food that you could consume?" Big Macintosh takes his time trying to construct his answer, but the only answer that could slip from his mouth is something that even he did no expect.
"Eeyup." The copper-coated stallion is now looking at the red farmpony with a sense of skepticism.
"Just a yes?"
"Eeyup." If Big Macintosh did something disrespectful, he did not mean it. Big Macintosh just realized that his habit of making things into one word is not biting him in the flank, and he did not know how to remedy this awkward situation. It was then that the light brown Sheikh intervenes to ease the conversation between the two stallions.
"Mr. Macintosh is a man of very few words, but he is as honest and wise as it comes. If it sounds like he had disrespected you, he truly mean no harm." The Sheikh is now looking at the copper-coated stallion, and soon enough the copper-coated stallion nods his head in approval. Sheikh Abu Hamza then continued on speaking.

"In addition, by allowing the Zap Apple Jam trade to enter into Saddle Arabia many other trade items such as vegetables and fruits could be brought into the country, thus alleviating the drought and famine of Eastern and Northern Saddle Arabia." Big Macintosh then turns to Abu Hamza, noticing the drought and famine part of his speech.

This is the first time that Big Macintosh had heard about the famine in the country, and now he realize that this is the edge that Sheikh Abu Hamza is after. If he could solve the problems of fully half of Saddle Arabia, he would have many clans behind his back. Not to mention that due to Big Macintosh's background it would create an even bigger web of securities in the Sheikh's play for power in this place. However, a rather large stallion wearing the armor of an Eternal now speaks to the Sheikh.Unlike the other Eternals, there are two marks of Ista on each eye with dripping tear marks running down his mask. A large ruby could be seen fastened upon the turban of the Eternal marking his rank.

"My Sheikh, have you not heard the news?" It is now Sheikh Abu Hamza's turn to be surprised by the inquiry.
"News of what exactly, Lord Eternal?"
"As of this moment, we are at war with ourselves. The areas in which you speak are now rebelling against us. We do not help those that stand up against us. Even now our forces are being mobilized to stop this rebellion.So my Sheikh, we can move away from providing food against the rebels." Big Macintosh could only listen to this view in disbelief. Surely there are civilians out there that are not part of the rebellion, Big Macintosh thought. But alas, Sheikh Abu Hamza is giving a scowl at the turn of evens before recomposing himself to a more diplomatic expression. It seems that the Sheikh decided to not pursue the issue further.

"Lastly, this trade would also strengthen the relationship between our lands and Equestria that would benefit both of us in the long run." Before long, the Sheikhs are now talking to each other in hushed whispers and it was then that the Lord Eternal started to speak again.

"Will this trade allow us to have Equestria channel arms to us? If not, their trade is of no use to us. We are at war here, and we need all the weapons we can get." Soon enough the hushed whispers rise up to a loud murmur among the crowd.A sly-looking purple Sheikh started speaking to the council, silencing the council. Big Macintosh could only think of this Sheikh as an opportunistic dirty rat, and only wanted to get something out of this. If Big Macintosh is left to his own devices, Big Macintosh would have bucked that stallion's face already. Suddenly, the sly stallion started to talk to Big Macintosh.


"Now now, Lord Eternal, think about it in this way; if there is no trade there is no money. If there is no money, there is no weapons.So Equestrian.....I would assume that you are told about our laws in regards to foreigners and their representation in the council?" Big Macintosh could only nod at the sly stallion's question.
"Good, good Big Macintosh of Equestria. So if your country do no support militaristic ventures, then what else can your nation offer to us? Surely there are other boons that could be offered to us in return for our patronage?" Big Macintosh immediately realized that he is now being slowly lured to some unfathomable plot of the byzantine court. Big Macintosh decides to play dumb for now.

"Ah am just a businesspony here to sell mah products sir. Ah could only offer mah produce that's all."
"I believe that you should not be so humble, my dear stallion."
"Ah believe Ah need to be, mah family business is on the line after all. Nopony gets anywhere when they can't keep promises they can't keep."
"Sounds like an experience you have been before, Equestrian." The Sheikh crosses his forearms, looking at the Sheikh with no certain amount of inconvinience.
"Don't we all, sir?" Big Macintosh gives his most charming smile at his inquisitor. It seems that the hall is now rather silent as the audience are watching the two talking with each other. Big Macintosh recalls seeing this technique before, and it is a technique that Granny Smith always uses when she is 'fishing' for something out of Big Macintosh. It seems that the more things change, the more they stay the same. Big Macintosh may be part of a family that find lying an entirely alien concept, but half-truths are truths nonetheless.

"I see. So what are you offering us anyway?"
"Ah was about to offer Sheikh Abu Hamza here around a hundred jars of Zap Apple Jam for like a hundred bits, and if he goes for three hundred jars Ah would offer that for two hundred and fifty bits. And this is per annum mind you. It's a great deal. And from mah recollection, Ah recall that mah family product is worth that much so yer bound to get a profit if yer want to spike the price. And let's not forget about them apples. Do you like'em apples?" Big Macintosh could see that the stallions are now looking at him with no certain amount of confusion and intrigue.
"It sounds like a deal, but wouldn't Sheikh Abu Hamza try to bargain it? Or offer it with other benefits?" The Sheikh is quite persistent in trying to milk something out of this, so Big Macintosh decided to play along.

"Well sir, if Ah have to say anything, if he tries to do so Ah would be leaving. Of course, are ya interested in joining in this business venture then? Cos if there are two ponies, Ah might sweeten the deal fer both of ya. If ya want to join in then ya have to talk to the Sheikh and offer him stuff so that he will let ya in on the loop and both of you get a good deal." Suddenly the Sheikh started to stare at the red stallion with daggers. Soon enough there is a great amount of whispers between the Sheikhs and the ministers. Before long the sly stallion turns to the light brown Sheikh and started talking to him.

"What are you trying to do here Sheikh Abu Hamza?" However, before Sheikh Abu Hamza could even speak, Big Macintosh interjects in and smiles at the sly stallion.
"Ah do not think that he even knows of the deal, as Ah was supposed to tell it to you ponies due to yer weird laws of the land. Of course as they say, when somepony invites somepony to their house, you do what they do. So the question is, what are ya tryin' to do here? And depending on how many ponies are in this, Ah can sure make a deal for all of ya, especially when what Ah heard is that ya get a lot of money that could be used to finance the conflict Ah heard."

The tables are now turned upon the sly stallion, as they too are interested in what the stallion is looking for here. Big Macintosh notices that finally the sly stallion had bit off more than he could chew. Big Macintosh realized that he is better at this than he though he would.

"Well, think about it in this way; if there's no talk between us, there's no trade. If there's no trade there's no talk between nations to finalize this. If there's no talk between nations, there's no chance to talk about the war. If there's no talk about the war, then there's no talk about Equestria helpin' ya asses. Ah remember readin' somewhere that wars make ya poor, so ya need to get cash flowin'. Not everypony wants to trade with ya cos of this weird laws ya have, so if ya want to be broke and head for the streets be mah guess." The whole council descends into chaotic debate among themselves. Some of them started to slip back to Saddle Arabian, while others are just hollering and shouting with each other.

"You just have to stir the hornet's nest don't you Big Macintosh?" Sheikh abu Hamza hissed at the red stallion.
"Mah Granny once told me Ah tend to drive a hard bargain." Big Macintosh winks back at the light brown stallion. As the rest of the court bickered among each other, the conversation between an Eternal and an unknown Sheikh went unnoticed by the rest of the council of Sheikhs. The back of the Sheikh is facing towards the Eternal, but the Eternal knows of who he is speaking to.


"It seems that Sheikh Abu Hamza have brought in a very interesting tool, Milord." The Eternal speaks up as he watch the light brown Sheikh and his red Equestrian ally wade through this impossible tide of emotions in the room.
"So it seems. This is truly exquisite indeed." The mysterious Sheikh said with his tenor voice.
"Do you want to depose of them Milord?" The Eternal asked.
"No, no, no. Everything must fall into place like how the sand flows downwards in an hourglass. Even now any decision that is made will all benefit me. An addition of several Equestrian pawns would not change the plans at all....in fact it will be beneficial to the plan. The rat has a scent of an Equestrian after all....." For a moment the tenor of the Sheikh slips into a rather insidious voice, which is as deep and serene as the darkest of abyss before returning back to its tenor.

It is not long before the mysterious figure started snorting and chuckling with glee, causing alarm from the Eternal. The Eternal stares at this Sheikh for a moment with fear and respect, and could only wonder what is going on within the mind of this most devious of masterminds. The Eternal was reminded of his role as a guard and returned to looking at the crowd, trying to pretend that he is not shaken by the chuckle of this figure..

The mysterious Sheikh had a leering sadistic smile on his face, as he realize that he had several new playthings to manipulate in his grander scheme. Oh, how he would see to it that his scheme will be so grad as to make hell itself tremble. He will make his scheme as such that Saddle Arabia will be awakened, screaming themselves awake and reminding them of what it feels like to live in fear. No matter what happens, there will be a rebirth of Saddle Arabia.

Author's Note:

Once again, lots of dialogues. Given the nature of the chapter this is a given.