• Published 26th Feb 2013
  • 1,080 Views, 57 Comments

Umbral Travels - pchn00



Umbra has left the ponydark to travel the surface in an attempt to learn what it means to be a pony.

  • ...
3
 57
 1,080

Chapter 6: Moving On

Chapter 6: Moving On

Well we’re hosed. Umbra’s down for the count, Trixie looks about to wet herself and here’s Luna in all her angry ‘I’m gonna turn you inside out’ glory glaring down at the three of us. Looks like it’s up to me to make sure we come through this with our flanks intact. I do my best to look as dignified and impressive as possible (which next to THE princess of the night is not very easy to do), before dipping into a courtly bow.

“I’m Prince Tak’thiss of the Crystal Mountain Hive requesting formal parley with the royal court of Equestria.”

Trixie forgets she’s in mortal terror for a minute looking at me in astonishment. Man if we live through this is it gonna be fun to hassle her about that ‘duh’ look she has goin on. For her part Luna is just staring at me like pretty much every pony looks at a changeling, like I’m a bug to be smashed underhoof.

“What pray tell, Prince Tak’thiss of the Crystal Mountain Hive makes you think I have any interest in anything you have to say to me?” I’m pretty tall in my natural form. Bigger than most ponies that’s for sure. Our Queens are a bit bigger than I am and Luna’s about the same size as them. Except the pony princess just seems to ooze power and confidence. So I find myself swallowing hard as I look up into her eyes stumbling back as she advances. “Will you regale me of the many excellent reasons you have assaulted my protégé and one of the cadets training in my guard? Both highly executable offenses? Perhaps why you travel in the company of one of the most wanted mares in Equestria?”

Well she’s talking! And if she’s talking she’s not blasting us or launching us to the moon or something. “Ehe…well those are both very excellent topics for conversation your highness! Though if I may be so bold, our friend here is in need of a little medical attention.” I step aside and she lays eyes on Umbra for the first time. I’ll give her this; she’s got a good poker face. She doesn’t seem at all surprised to see a young alicorn.

“You will come to Canterlot with me. Your friend’s wounds will be tended to and then you will explain yourselves. If I do not like what I hear I will not be kind with my judgment.”

Poor Trixie’s looking more nervous than ever. Poor kid, she’s not cut out for this life of a fugitive business. Of course I know this is the best we’re going to get so I dip into another bow. “You’re too kind your majesty.”

She stares at me hard for a minute, probly trying to figure out if I’m making fun of her or not. Maybe I am a LITTLE but I’m working to reign in my more frivolous nature here. “Disguise yourself. Your presence in the castle would cause a small riot I am sure.”

Nodding vigorously I do as she asks. The warm flames lick over my body, softening it to the point I can reshape it with my thoughts. I do so, and am in the pegasus shape I’ve been using the last few weeks. I flinch as her horn glimmers softly, but to my relief she just takes Umbra from Trixie’s own magical aura. Surprisingly Trixie seems reluctant to release her, but at a glare from the princess she does so with a soft whimper. The ancient alicorn looks my friend over for the first time up close frowning at what she sees.

“She is likely dying from her wounds. We will need to travel quickly to save her. I suggest you brace yourselves.” She doesn’t actually wait for us to do as she says before a shaft of silvery light erupts all around us. Despite the less than favorable circumstances I can’t stop from shouting excitedly as we rocket through the air faster than I’ve ever dreamed of going. Trixie’s screaming too, but I doubt she’s doing so in excitement.

Soon, (too soon in my opinion) we’re standing in what I assume is a courtyard in Canterlot Castle. The princess doesn’t speak to either of us, just breaks into a quick canter. Me and Trixie have to work our legs a bit harder to keep up, but Luna probably wouldn’t approve of us wandering about on our own. Rather than head to an infirmary or something she’s carrying Umbra through the castle proper up a long and winding staircase.

A regular, (if stupidly lavish) bedroom is our destination. She settles Umbra on the bed carefully. By now of course we’ve attracted a few of those creepy bat ponies Luna uses as her guards. She glances at them. “Fetch the royal physician. Tell him to come with all swiftness.”

They dart away, obeying without question. Kinda reminds me of the drones from the hive really. Trixie’s huddled up on the floor by the bed shivering something fierce and with a sigh I move to sit next to her, resting a hoof on her back and rubbing gently. It seems to soothe her somewhat. Luna is eyeing me curiously but not speaking yet.

She turns her attention back to Umbra and begins removing the fragments and straps of her armor still fastened. I can’t see a lot of damage; of course with that black coat of hers bruises aren’t too easy to spot. She’s got a few cuts but nothing bad enough to kill her. “What happened? Why’s isn’t she waking up?”

Luna looks back at me. “Her injuries are internal, and very grave. I can only guess at what happened, but likely she forced Jennifer to resort to wielding her magic. The girl has great power but is untrained and has little control. If this mare were anything but an alicorn she’d have died on the spot.”

Trixie’s started crying now, and Luna’s face softens just a bit. “You care for her a great deal, the both of you?”

“We do your majesty. She’s been a good friend to us for as long as we’ve known her.”

An old unicorn stallion is shuffling into the room now, blinking at us from behind a thick pair of glasses. He dismisses me and Trixie right away and even pushes his way by Luna less than gently. “Give me room, give me room.”

The princess obeys without question standing back as the old codger gets to work. His horn glowing with a pale yellow shimmer he runs it along Umbra’s body tsking softly now and then. “It’s a wonder she’s still alive at all. I’ll do what I can. Got a few spells and tricks that should get her on the mend. She took a nasty blow to the head, dunno if she’s gonna wake up. It’ll depend on how bad she wants to.”

Trixie’s crying harder now and I suspect if I had the tear ducts I would be as well. Changelings don’t make friends easy. Inside the hive it’s all about politics, and princes like me are basically stronger and bigger drones. And drones don’t make for excellent conversation. We can pretend to be ponies and make friends outside the hive but it’s only a matter of time before we slip up and get found out. I never heard of that ending well.

“Do what you can doctor. I leave her in your capable hooves. I must see to my other guests. If you will excuse us?”

He doesn’t bother to respond as the princess leads us from the room. She’s climbing the stairs again and I have to help pull Trixie along. She can barely walk on her own. Finally I grunt and thrust her onto my back. She protests but not much. Soon she’s hanging miserably and sniffling now and then.

Luna opens another large door and steps inside, shutting than locking it behind us. We’re in what I assume is her study now. Big fireplace with a nice hot fire already going. Shelves with books, fancy desk blah blah. It’s a Princess’ office. I let Trixie down by the fire and she curls up quietly. Her tears have stopped at least.

The princess stands regarding us coolly; I decide to stay on my hooves too. “You are from the Crystal Mountains Prince Tak’thiss?”

I nod. “Yes highness. And just Tak is fine if you please. I haven’t used my title in a while.”

“Very well Tak. Where did you meet Umbra?”

With a little sigh I begin my story. “I’m a changeling prince. My hive was recently wiped out by Queen Chrysalis who I’m sure you’re familiar with? She killed my mother and siblings to absorb our hive into hers. I ran and escaped with a few of the others of my hive. We split up and went our separate ways. I ended up in some underground tunnels. I was starving by then, not much for us to eat in that valley with all the frozen ponies of course. I found Umbra down there, she offered to feed me and we just sort of hit it off from there. She’d never even heard of ponies or anything from the surface. I offered to tell stories in exchange for nourishment.”

“And she is how old?”

“Eh? Twenty I think your highness. She said Colton was destroyed twenty years ago on the night she was born. Least according to her mother.”

She frowns now. “Mother?”

“Oh. Right well…” I go into Umbra’s story. Getting dumped in the spider tunnels and being raised by their queen as a princess. All the way up to her oldest sister turning traitor on em all and nearly wiping out the whole family. Her youngest sister taking the throne and her decision to come to the surface to learn how to be a pony.

By the time I finish Luna has an odd smile. “She’s a princess?”

I shrug. “Yeah, I mean princess of the creepy talking spider people but yeah.”

She shakes her head slowly. Trixie is dozing by the fire by now and the princess fills a pair of glasses with a sweet smelling apple brandy. “From a friend.” She keeps one for herself and offers me the other. I have a small sip to be polite. Not like I eat or drink food often. It’s pretty good though.

“So uh…what now?”

She takes a longer sip from hers. “Why did you assault Jennifer and Cadet Echo?”

I set my glass aside. “Umbra’s ghost pal, Bleeding Heart? When your Jennifer took her sword the ghost vanished. Umbra assumed the human stole the weapon and ‘murdered’ Heart by doing so.”

“So it was all Umbra’s idea? Trixie didn’t seek revenge? You didn’t…want whatever rogue changeling princes want from unwary travelers?” She is quirking a faint smile at that. I’m starting to like this Princess Luna mare.

“It was. Me and Trixie tried to get her to forget going after the kid plenty of times but she can get a little stubborn. It’s too bad too, we were having fun y’know?”

She drains her glass and finally settles comfortably on her stomach on the floor. “Tell me of your travels Tak.”

So I do. From leaving the tunnels to meeting Trixie. The hair-brained scheme of ours to meander about Equestria disguised as travelling performers. The princess actually laughs at ‘Sunny Days’ with her cheery little cutie mark. I’m actually relaxing by the end of it.

“So uh…what’re you gonna do with us?”

Luna sighs. “Trixie has committed several severe crimes. Though your words paint her in a more positive light than I would have expected, she attacked Ponyville and aided Discord. She did not take part in the assault on Jennifer and Echo but you and Umbra must be made to answer for that as well. I will not levy the full punishment your crimes deserve, but justice must be met. I believe the two of you will perform community service while Umbra recovers.”

Huh. Wish changeling queens were more like pony princesses. “Sounds fair to me your highness! I’m sure Trixie will agree too.”

The princess rises to her hooves. “You two use one of the guest rooms here in the castle for the duration of your sentence. I believe I will put Trixie to work in the libraries. Though I am unsure what to do with you.” Suddenly her smile is not quite as warm and pleasant as I’d like. “Ah! I have JUST the job for you Prince Tak’thiss. Report to the post office at five o’clock this morning. You will volunteer your services to assist a Miss Ditzy Doo. I have been getting numerous requests from her for an assistant. It seems nopony has an interest in delivering the mail with her. She handles all the mail between here and Ponyville.”

Huh. That’s not so bad. “Sure I can run some deliveries while Umbra’s on the mend.”

“Excellent.” She gently levitates Trixie onto my back; the mare only stirs gently but doesn’t wake up. “I will show you to your room and then I must return to the night court. I have been getting more petitioners of late and do not like to make them wait.”

I gotta trot to keep up with her as she takes us back down the tower. I pause at Umbra’s room but the door’s shut and Luna doesn’t show any sign of stopping in. “Er, Princess Luna?”

She doesn’t look back at me as she answers. “Yes?”

“Where’d Umbra come from? I mean…there aren’t tons of alicorns running around the surface of Terra after all.”

She stops walking and opens the door to a room similar to the one Umbra’s recovering in. “Good night Tak. I will leave instructions with the morning guard to expect you and Trixie’s presence. Do not be late to the post office in the morning.”
I frown as she leaves me alone with the snoring unicorn on my back. It’s not like I can force an answer out of her. With a grunt I ease Trixie onto the bed and settle down on the floor, retaking my natural shape once the door is locked. Sleep isn’t easy to come by. All I can think of is my battered friend fighting for her life across the castle.

***

I believe I am dreaming again. At least I assume it is a dream. The last thing I recall is the thief laying me low with her cowardly magic’s. Then I was here. This…plane of infinite grays and fog. I see no ground, no sky, and no walls. Nothing but an endless field of blankness. I find myself yearning for anything to break the monotony, even the accursed sun. It is not to be.
I am unsure how long I have been here, or how far I have walked from my starting position. I walk because I find it preferable to lazing about doing nothing. When I grow still the fog aggressively creeps up my legs bringing a numbing cold with it. I do not intend to be still again.

It feels as if I have been here for days but I have no way of knowing. Something glimmers in the corner of my eye. I almost dismiss it as my mind conjuring something to occupy itself but I soon see it again. A light shining in the darkness. Hope stirring within me I break into a run toward the light. It is so very far, but I am gaining ground. As I get closer I feel a warmth begin to suffuse my being. The light is very bright but it does not hurt my eyes. I simply feel at peace.

I stand before it now. I do not know what it is, only that I am comforted for being so near it. Feeling a smile form move to step into the brightly glowing sphere of light only to find myself halted by an armored hoof cracking solidly against my muzzle. I sprawl back onto my haunches dazed. Though the form of my attacker rocks me back far more than her blow did. It is Bleeding Heart, though she is a good deal more solid than before.

“Tis not thy time to depart for the Elysium Fields Umbra. And after thy behavior toward the children thou so cravenly ambushed tis my opinion the eternal peace offered within be not for thee.”

Never have I seen her so incensed. So furious. It takes several moments to even find my voice. “Bleeding Heart? How...how are you here?”

She advances and against my will I find myself stumbling back. “Thou be near to death Umbra. Near enough to find thy way to the gates of the fields. Because of our past friendship I give thee one chance, and one only to explain thine actions.”
I shake my head. “I do not understand. I hunted her for you! She stole your shield and made you leave!”

If anything my words seem to anger her further. “How dare thee accuse her of thievery! Do not try and pass the lies thou hast told thyself onto me as well Umbra. Thou know quite well none could touch my blade without my permission. She is my chosen successor Umbra, I passed Mercy onto her gladly and my duty discharged I was free to move onto the next part of my journey.” She shakes her head and turns back to the light. “I take my leave Umbra. This be not at all how I hoped our reunion would be.”

“W-wait! Bleeding Heart please! I…” I close my eyes exhaling slowly. “You were my first real friend. You just…left me. Without warning. It was so sudden. The child, Jennifer had encountered a squad of my scouts. She and her companions slew most of them.” I glance up to find her regarding me sternly, but not angrily. “After your departure I discovered my eldest sister had assassinated my siblings and mother. It has been a…difficult period of time. I left for the surface and hunting that…human creature gave me the drive I needed to ignore my grief.”

“Tak and Trixie both tried to dissuade me from chasing her yet I ignored them. I am sure Trixie is already gone, she said she was leaving my company because of my obsession with Jennifer.”

Bleeding Heart settles on her haunches in front of me. “Tell me of this Trixie.”

I do. I tell her of how Trixie was the first pony I met after reaching the surface. She is smiling faintly as I tell of our travels together. The three of us performing for ponies across Equestria. She outright laughs when I tell her of my false name and brand. At first I speak haltingly, but grow more animated as my story goes on.

“I believe it unlikely Trixie has fled your company Umbra. She sounds a good friend. One thou hast taken for granted. Tak as well, he has been by your side longer than she and you two have been through much together.”

With a pained sigh I slump down onto my stomach, head on my forelegs. “I know. I know that now. I suppose I knew it all along. I knew I should leave the girl be but I could not let you go. I am sorry Bleeding Heart.”

She rises and shakes her head. “Tis not I that thou should apologize to. Though it cheers me greatly to know my departing did not leave thee alone in the world. T’would sound that thou hast found another dear friend in my stead.” She gently lifts my head with one of her hooves. “Do not let thy grief consume thee dear Umbra. Loss is a part of life for all, and we must make it a part of us. Do not dwell on what is lost, rather remember what was had.”

I swallow and ignoring the burning in my eyes I embrace Bleeding Heart as I wished to those many weeks ago when she first departed. She returns it tightly, resting her muzzle against mine. “Tis time I took my leave Umbra. We shall meet again though hopefully not for a very long time.” She smiles gently before a look of surprise crosses her face as she gazes over my shoulder. “Twould seem thou has another visitor. I shall make her wait no longer. Grow strong again Umbra. And live a long, full, happy life. For me my dear friend.”

Then she is gone again. Though this time our parting is not quite as painful. Just the opposite in fact. My small smile drops immediately as I turn to find the OTHER surfacer standing behind me. Luna gazes at me with a wary expression in her eye. I scowl now. My anger at Jennifer may have been misplaced but not so with this one. “How much were you listening in on?”
She does not speak at first. Just stares at my in silence long enough I begin to shift uncomfortably. “Walk with me Umbra. I prefer to give the gate to Elysium some distance lest the temptation grow too strong. And neither of us belong there just yet.”

For a moment I think to remain where I am simply to defy her, but I think such behavior would upset Bleeding Heart again. Finally I follow and she slows her pace to match mine. “Why are you here?”

Luna glances down at me. “Why are you?” She is equal to my mother in keeping her face emotionless, though of course her eyes tell me what I wish to know. Two emotions seem most prominent in her eyes. Fear and hope.

I look away first. “I heard a story from my mother. I wished to see if it were true.”

“Mmm. Seeking truth is always a worthy goal. Why did you assault my protégé?”

I find my gaze locked on the ‘ground’ before me. “Because I was acting like a foolish hatchling, lashing out at something I had no business turning my ire on.”

“Hatchling. An interesting phrasing. We say foal among ponykind.”

I nod. “So Trixie and Tak have told me numerous times. I am not sure which of the two enjoy teasing me more.”

“They are certainly an interesting pair. I have spoken with Tak more than Trixie though I plan to rectify that soon.”

“They are unharmed?”

“They are.”

I do not know how far we have walked but looking over my shoulder I cannot see the light any longer. “Is it true? Are you the one who gave birth to me?”

I intentionally avoid asking if she is my mother, and my jab finds its mark judging by the flash of pain in her eyes. “Yes Umbra. My time trapped with the Nightmare is difficult to recall with clarity. When my jealousy consumed me fully I felt myself slip away, as if going into a deep sleep. When next I woke I was imprisoned within the celestial body I governed. I could only vaguely remember what happened. Attacking my elder sister, my banishment.” She finally settles on her belly, forehooves folded gently in front of her.

I simply settle back on my haunches again, listening silently. “My periods of lucidity were few and far between. The most pervading sensation was the crippling loneliness. I am sure it is difficult to imagine being the only living being for a million miles. One day it became too much for me. I splintered a part of my essence and attempted to weave it into a companion. The Nightmare awoke during my work and the being was incomplete. By then it was far too altered to simply rejoin me so it did the next closest thing, and took root here.” She places a hoof against her stomach.

“So…I am not even a true pony? I am a…construct? A magical creation?”

“No Umbra. No. You are a true pony. I must have been erm…” She looks uncomfortable and I find the urge to laugh rising. “…well ready for a stallion at the time. But you are as much a natural pony as any in the land. Your conception may have been unusual but you are most certainly a full flesh and blood pony.” The topic passed us she relaxes again. “I knew there were ponies still loyal to me in Colton. I heard their prayers every night. I sent part of myself to their village, merely a fragment of the true me. It was small and weak enough to slip through my sister’s bindings.”

“I arrived in Colton with you just hours old. As much as I craved companionship I knew the Nightmare would not be kind to you. I had to make sure you were safe. I left you in their care knowing they would raise you with love. Had I foreseen what my actions would wrought upon those ponies still loyal to me I would have risked keeping you in the moon.” Her pain sounds genuine. Too genuine to be faked. “Tak has told me of your life. Amongst the spiderkin, and their queen who was kind enough to take you in. I very much wish I could have met her. She sounded like a fine mother.”

I nod now. “She was very stern. The spiderkin do not show emotion like ponies, most do not experience it. The royal family is expected to be the epitome of our kind. Flawless and rational at all times.” A small smile forms on my face. “But there were times…she would sneak me smiles. Treats she found. Usually especially succulent mushrooms. She would tell me stories when I had trouble sleeping, and gently tend the many, many cuts and bruises I accumulated before I learned to use my magic to see in the perfect darkness of home.” The tears that threatened to flow at meeting Bleeding Heart unexpectedly finally break loose at the memories of my mother. “She was….she was the finest mother I could have hoped for.”

Luna raises one of her hooves. She wishes to reach out to me, to comfort me I can tell but…she does not. “How long have you been free? How long have you resided here comfortable and happy in your Canterlot?”

Her hoof slowly returns to its resting place. “It will be four years this summer.”

“Four years. Did you not think to seek me out in that time?”

“I did!” She jumps to her hooves and I stumble to my own in surprise. “I scoured the valley for any sign of you, praying that you had somehow survived. I did not even know these spiderkin existed let alone lived so nearby! Had I been aware I would have torn the mountain apart searching for you!”

Her perfect mask has cracked at last. Anguish so deep I cannot begin to fathom how it must feel marring the perfection of her beautiful countenance. “I…” I lower my head. “I believe you Luna. I do but…it does not change the fact that you did not. I knew my mother loved me and showed me it in her own way whenever she could but…such times were few. I lived a life of cold passionless duty. That is all there is to being a spiderkin you see? Duty to the queen and family. I eventually had Bleeding Heart and she eased the burden but my whole life I knew I did not belong. I tried to be one of them but…I was not. I was not the only living soul in the deep darkness that was my home, but I was very much alone for most of my life.”

Another stretch of silence between us. “In time I hope you can forgive me my selfishness Umbra. I understand it will take time to heal such deep wounds, if they can be healed at all.” She flexes her wings looking away at a sight only she can see. “You will recover Umbra. You were badly hurt by Jennifer but you are healing. It will take time. Your friends are performing service to the community in lieu of the punishment their crimes have actually earned. So do not fret over their fates. I would like you to focus on recovering your strength. I must leave now. The night is ending and I must rest myself. I can return if you like.”

Slowly I nod. “I believe I would like the company. I prefer not to be alone in the dark for too long.”

“Then return I shall. As soon as I am able. Rest now Umbra. Rest and try to find some peace at last.”

Then she is gone. And I close my eyes, idly wondering if one can dream within a dream.

Author's Note:

More information about Tak! I find myself liking him more and more and have been kicking around the idea of giving him his own story. Probly a prequel deal or something. I've got enough between Umbra and Jen atm but down the line it's something I wanna do. :x