• Published 26th Feb 2013
  • 1,080 Views, 57 Comments

Umbral Travels - pchn00



Umbra has left the ponydark to travel the surface in an attempt to learn what it means to be a pony.

  • ...
3
 57
 1,080

Chapter 11: Cousin Cadence

Chapter 11: Cousin Cadence

I feel quite the fool as Jennifer passes the bracelet about and we all return to our normal forms our wait for the repercussions of our actions is not long. Little more than a moment passes as the train stops and armed guards flood the car.

“We know at least ONE of you is a changeling! You’ll all come with us to the barracks for questioning until your true identities are confirmed.” This my first time seeing a crystal pony and it is easy to see how they earned their name. Their coats shine and glimmer as if carved from precious gemstone. It bothers my eyes a good deal to be honest.

Tak is in his pegasus shape likely to avoid being skewered by one of the incensed soldiers. Though if things turn violent I have no doubt we can overpower them with little difficulty.

Before I act on my thoughts Jennifer steps forward wearing an embarrassed smile. “I can clear all this up for you guys real quick. I’m Jubilant Surprise, Luna’s student? I’m here to meet with Princess Cadence and Prince Shining Armor. I can explain everything, really.”

The leader of the soldiers keeps his stern gaze locked on the young human turned pegasi. “Very well, word will be sent to the Princess. Until then you WILL come to the barracks to await her arrival. Princess Cadence may be the youngest of the alicorns but she’s still got enough magic to put four changelings in the ground if you bugs try anything funny.”

Tak bristles at the insult and even Trixie looks ready to speak up. I lift a hoof calming both at once and follow as we are lead from the train car. I tighten my cloak about my neck and pull the hood low. I have a feeling it will be very bright outside. Trixie and I walk on either side of Tak, both leaning against him to provide tangible support. It seems to go a long way toward soothing his mood.

My guess was not wrong. The empire is dazzlingly radiant. Everything shines and glitters with painful brightness and I am glad for my hood. Despite the odd setting and coat coloration however these crystal ponies carry on like any other city we have passed through. We are receiving a number of stares and I am unsure if they do not often receive outside visitors or the presence of so many guards is the cause.

We are lead to a small squat building near what I assume is the palace. The silence is finally broken as our escort gestures to a small room. “You’ll remain here until the Princess or prince consort arrives to question you directly. Don’t give us a reason to be sorry for trusting you this far.”

The four of us shuffle in wordlessly as the door is shut and locked. Neither Tak nor Trixie seem to be taking our imprisonment well. As she was only recently a fugitive and Tak’s entire people seem to be hated by the ponies in general I cannot blame either.

Jennifer is the first to speak. “So uh…does the princess know about Tak?”

I slowly nod. “Yes. Luna sent word that I would be coming with a changeling companion. Even so she felt it best we keep his identity secret from everypony in the empire save the royal couple.”

The filly sighed in relief and even smiled. “Well then there’s no problem.”

Again our wait was not a long one. The door swung open soon admitting a stallion nearly the size of Big Macintosh. Though this one was a unicorn with a stark white coat and two-toned blue mane. He wore rather impressive looking armor though I suspect it was more for ceremony than function. His gaze sweeps across the room and holds particular malice as he settles on Tak. “On your hooves. We’ll talk once we reach the palace.”

He turns and speaks to his subordinates who do not follow as he leads us from the barracks and into the streets toward the palace. Jennifer seems distracted as she gazes at the brightly glowing heart carved from crystal hovering above the ground. Her delay draws our guides’ ire however. “Don’t dally back there!”

I allow a faint smile as the young pony jumps and rushes to catch the rest of us. We are lead up a shining staircase into the palace proper. The stallion keeps us moving at a swift pace leaving no time for sight-seeing. It is not until we reach what I assume is his office he slows. Taking a seat behind the large desk he glowers at us. “I’d like somepony to explain to me why there are rumors spreading like mad through the empire about a changeling invasion.”

Jennifer clears her throat before speaking. “W-well…didn’t Luna tell you Tak would be coming?”

“Yes. And Cadence allowed it against my will I might add. But she was lead to believe he would keep himself disguised as a pony at all times. Now that the ponies KNOW a changeling is in the empire rumors and panic are going to spread like wildfire!” He finishes by slamming a hoof atop his desk.

I feel my anger rising. While we were in error but I am losing patience with this constant racism toward Tak. Again the filly speaks first. “Um…it wasn’t his fault sir. The changeling they saw was me.”

A look of surprise flashes across his face as he focuses back to her. “How is that possible?”

She rests the leg bearing her bracelet on his desk. “It um…picks up new forms when some other species uses it. Tak and Umbra were being human and I wanted to try being a changeling…”

He regards her quietly before nodding. “I see. It was still very irresponsible. Especially you three. She’s a filly but you’re all adults and should know better.”

Now I speak. “Yes. You have our apologies. It was a very poor choice in judgment on our part that lead to this situation at all. The fault lays with myself over any of the others.” While I do not like him very much thus far he is apparently the authority figure at the moment, and we were warned of what Tak’s presence could do.

He merely grunts at me. “You three are free to go. Keep your noses clean, we’ll be watching. Princess Luna is vouching for you but as far as I’m concerned you’re potentially dangerous criminals running loose in my city. Don’t make me regret it.” Then he looks to Jennifer. “As for you…we’re going to make an official announcement. Explain to the public who you are and how you…change shape. We’ll say I dunno, it’s part of your education on Equestria alright? That should settle everypony’s mind.”

She is nodding eagerly. “Yes sir. That sounds just fine.”

He looks back to me, his frown still present. “Your wagon is waiting for you at the train station. I’ll have one of the guards escort you to it. The empire can be confusing for first time visitors.”

Trixie’s relief at her wagon’s safety is palpable and I bow my head in thanks. “Thank you, we will not cause any more trouble in your city. You have my word.”

Jennifer smiles to Trixie now. “Go ahead and hold onto the book if you want Trixie. I’ll be here for a week according to Luna so as long as you drop it off by then and be SUPER careful with it…”

The mare nods smiling slightly as well. “I will Jennifer. Thank you, it means a lot to me.”

I nod my thanks as well before the three of us depart with haste from the office. As promised a crystal pony mare in the guard uniform is waiting. “I’ve been asked by Prince Consort Shining Armor to escort you to your wagon.”

She is smiling as I have come to expect most ponies I meet to do. “Thank you, we appreciate your assistance.”

“No trouble at all! Just follow me.” She prances ahead with even more cheer than many ponies I have observed. I glance to Tak and find him staring ahead ignoring both Trixie and myself, his expression trouble. I cannot speak freely in front of our guide but once we are alone again I intend to say something to help ease his worries.

My friends have both told me numerous times I should make an effort to be more social. Now seems as good a time as any. “I am Umbra; my friends are Tak and Trixie. We are performers here to see the empire.”

The mare slows her pace to match my own. “Nice to meet you Umbra! And your friends too! And welcome to the Crystal Empire. So the whole misunderstanding with the prince is all set huh?”

I nod forcing a smile. It is small but a smile none the less. My friends say I should try to do that more as well. “Yes there is no trouble. I apologize for inconveniencing you.”

She waves a hoof casually. “No trouble at all. Usually I just stand outside the princes’ door for my whole shift then go home. This is the most excitement I’ve ever had.” She laughs warmly. “Oh! I’m Amethyst Star by the way.”

She is aptly named. Her coat shines like the jewel she is named for and her mane and tail are a radiant blue. “It is a pleasure to meet you Amethyst Star. Perhaps you will see our performance when we have settled.”

“Oh I’d like that! What sort of show?” She is leading us in the general direction we came from.

“Trixie is a magician and Tak her assistant.” The train station is soon in sight and Trixie shouts happily, rushing ahead to her wagon that sits off behind the station.

“A magic show? Wow we don’t see a lot of that up here. You guys are gonna make a killing. I’m definitely gonna look for you. D’you need any directions before I get back to the palace?”

Without speaking Tak follows Trixie to the wagon. “I do not believe so. Though I was hoping I would have a chance to speak with Princess Cadence. When does she hold her open court?”

“Well it’s starting in about an hour I think. She holds court until early evening so there’s plenty of time. Nothing too serious I hope?”

I shake my head. “No I merely wish to speak with her about a matter of passing interest. Thank you Amethyst Star you have been a great help.”

She smiles brightly again. “No problem at all! I always like meeting tourists and you guys seem like a pretty interesting bunch. I’ll try to catch your show. And enjoy the empire!” She departs with a cheerful wave and I relax my face again. Holding a smile for so long gets slightly painful for me.

Trixie is critically examining the wagon as I approach. Tak stands off to the side and I seat myself next to him, letting my tail brush against his. “I do not hate you or your species Tak.”

He blinks and looks at my strangely before he laughs. “You always know just what to say Umbra.” He is teasing me I think, but he is smiling so I do not care.

“Thank you. I am getting more eloquent in my speech I believe.” My smile is not forced now. More and more spending time about Tak and Trixie makes me happy and I just…smile.

“If you two are done making kissy faces we need to find someplace to set up. Let’s get you hitched up Umbra. We have a whole empire of magic less ponies to perform for!” Trixie is practically buzzing with excitement, and I allow her to hitch me to the wagon without complaint.

Trixie hails a passing pony for directions to the nearest public space and we are moving through the streets toward a park, our most common place of performing it seems. Our progress is only slightly hampered by the crowds milling about and we are already drawing a few curious spectators.

Happy for an excuse to forget the previous unpleasantness Tak is flying overhead extolling our one of a kind show to the crystal ponies. Trixie seems quite pleased at his antics. I am just happy to see him acting more himself. “Trixie?”

She looks back at my curiously. “What is it Umbra?”

“Can you manage the show without me? I had hoped to speak with the princess.”

She blinks. “Well…I suppose so. We’ll just have nothing to occupy the crowd during the intermission but if this is something you feel strongly about?”

I nod. “I do. I have questions for her, and an apology would be appropriate I believe.”

Trixie giggles now. “I can imagine you gave her a good piece of your mind when she refused to let Tak come. We’ll be fine. You go ahead and talk to their princess or empress or whatever she is.”

I pull the wagon into the park and Trixie removes the harness. “She is a princess according to Luna. I do not know why she is not empress since this is an empire.” I shrug. “A pony thing I presume. I shall return as soon as I am able.”

Tak watches me go overhead but Trixie jerks him to the ground with her magic before he can follow me. Already they are loudly arguing and I shake my head with a chuckle at their familiar antics. I typically have a poor sense of direction in these confusing surface cities; with no ceilings or walls to keep things contained they seem to grow out in randomly chosen directions. However the crystal palace towers above all so my way back is simple enough to find.

I draw curious glances for my lowered hood but when I return a friendly greeting with a smile of my own it seems to put them at ease. Nearly to the palace I feel a curious tickle run up my spine and glance from side to side. There staring intently at me in front of a large building labeled ‘Public Library’ is a dull coated elderly earth pony.

I turn to regard him fully and feel a terrible chill run over my coat. He is so thin that he seems nearly skeletal. His dull grey coat missing a patch here and there while his mane and tail hang limply. His eyes are the worst though. Dull lifeless grey eyes covered in a milky white film.

Who is he? Why does he stare at me so? I feel my fight or flight response begin to kick in. Typically it is fight but this pony…something about him…I tear my gaze and run as fast as my hooves can carry me away from the library. I do not slow until I reach the palace. I am disconcerted to find my coat slick with sweat and my breathing coming in labored gasps.

I frantically look over my shoulder half-expecting him to pursue but there is no one but a few concerned looking crystal ponies watching me. I force a smile for their benefit and hurry up the stairs into the palace. It is a simple matter to find the line to see the princess.

A concerned servant brings me a glass of water which I thank her profusely for and take up in my magical aura. This draws a gasp of surprise from the ponies about me. I finally realize I have not seen a single crystal unicorn or pegasus. Gently I flick my hood back revealing my horn to the assembled ponies who stare openly.

“I am sorry, is magic…not allowed in the empire?” I fear I may have broken some law or social taboo.

A stallion next to me recovers first. “N-no ma’am we just don’t see many unicorns is all. Aside from the prince of course. “

I nod and sip from the glass smiling my thanks to the mare who brought it. The water has a curious tartness I find pleasing. “I see. You are all earth ponies?”

He nods. “We were! We’re crystal ponies now of course. But generations ago earth ponies left Equestria to get out from under the oppressive unicorns and find their own homeland. We crafted the crystal heart and it changed us over time.”

This was certainly news to me. “Truly? How very fascinating. You do not have any non-earth pony foals? I had thought it not too uncommon for a pegasi or unicorn to be born to an earth couple.”

He was alone in the line and seems happy to have a conversation partner during the wait. Interest in me had faded by now and the other ponies go back to their own conversations. “Nopony’s entirely sure why but no. We’re sort of our very own tribe now like those night ponies you folks have over in Canterlot.”

“Very interesting. I apologize if I seem ignorant; I have only recently come to Equestria from a land where ponies are a rarity.”

It’s his turn to look intrigued. “Really? Where exactly is that?”

I see little reason to outright lie. “The crystal mountain valley is the region it is known to you I think. I was raised by a people who were not ponies at all. I was the only one of my kind for many years there.”

“The valley? Where the frozen ponies are? You grew up THERE?”

I shrug. “Below the surface there yes. I have recently come to Equestria to learn of my people. We travelled across much of the country before journeying here to your beautiful empire.” Another social nuance my friends have drilled into me. Drop small compliments in conversation and your partner will find it pleasing.

It seems to have worked as he puffs his chest a bit prideful. “Well ever since Princess Cadence took over things have been getting better all the time. Lots of ponies have started coming from all over; we even have a few griffons visiting too. They live just north of us over the mountains.”

“Truly? I have not seen one though from what I have heard I would enjoy their company.” That much was true. The stories paint them as a strictly regimented militaristic people.

He chuckles. “Not the friendliest bunch sometimes but they’re good enough if you get to know one.”

We continue to chat, discussing the empire mostly. I probe him with endless questions and he patiently answers them all, only stopping when it is his turn to see the princess. He bids me a fond goodbye and promises to go by the park and see our show. Then I am alone waiting my turn.

It is not a long wait fortunately. The servant asks my name which I supply. He then opens the doors announcing me.

I enter and look upon Princess Cadence in the flesh for the first time. She is about Luna’s size so roughly twice my own. Her mane and tail are a pastel yellow, purple, and blue mix and curiously do not flow and shift like Luna’s. Perhaps it is a trait unique to the princess of the night? I see her visibly stiffen at my approach, but she relaxes as I dip into a polite bow. “Thank you for seeing me.”

Her wings ruffle and she shifts uncomfortably on her throne of crystal. “O-oh well of course Umbra. We’re family after all yes?”

I had not thought of that. But if she is Celestia’s niece and Luna is Celestia’s sister that makes us…cousins of some sort? “Yes I suppose we would be would we not?”

She still does not look entirely at ease. “What can I do for you?”

It is my turn to look uncomfortable. “Nothing. I came to apologize. I lost my temper and have been told numerous times that it can be a dangerous thing.”

Now she looks surprised. “You came to apologize to ME? Umbra I should be apologizing to YOU. Everything you said that night was absolutely right; I was letting my past experiences color my opinion of somepony I hadn’t even met. That was wrong of me.”

She clears her throat and her horn glimmers as the doors open and the servant returns. “Please tell the waiting petitioners I am taking my lunch early. I have to have a discussion with my friend here.”

The stallion dutifully nods and steps out closing the doors behind him. The princess then looks back to me. “Would you join me for lunch Umbra? We can talk at length in my chambers I think.”

Trixie and Tak will be busy for at least two hours or so performing. “Very well, I am not needed anywhere for some time.”

She nods smiling warmly and leads me from the throne room. I have more time to examine my surroundings this time. The walls are decorated with several aesthetically pleasing paintings and intricate crystalline sculptures. What truly draws my eye however is the angry alicorn filly scowling at the pair of us as we pass her door. She has a snowy white coat and bright pink mane and tail. I stare back for a moment before Cadence clears her throat softly and I catch up.

“Was that your daughter?”

She shakes her head nosing open a door at the end of the hall. “My aunt. Luna explained that Aunt Celestia was incapacitated from her years without rest? Well her rejuvenation was more drastic this time. A few months ago she was like a newborn foal, now she’s about…oh eight or nine years I’d guess? She’s aging rapidly but it’ll be awhile before she can retake the throne.”

“She looked angry.”

Cadence sighs softly as I follow her into her chambers. They are much like Luna’s in Canterlot save the floor and walls are crystal. “She’s been…difficult. It’s why we called Jennifer out here. I’ve been told she has a way with problematic foals and I’m hoping she can get through to her. I used to think there was no foal I couldn’t handle but…how do I discipline my aunt?”

I shrug and find a comfortable place to seat myself. “Sternly I should think.”

She laughs at that. “Luna said you could be funny when you wanted to. You can remove your cloak in here by the way, I’m sure it’s uncomfortable for your wings to be smothered all the time.”

I gingerly undo the string about my neck letting the cloak fall. “Not particularly. I kept them folded or covered my entire life. Though it is uncomfortably warm in the empire.”

She is in a small kitchen in the adjoining room preparing our meal I imagine. Cadence emerges soon with a large tray baring several sandwiches with a variety of flowers between the bread and some rather simple soup. A bowl of frosted berry of some sort rests next to the plates. “That can’t be good for them.”

I shrug and with some effort stretch the sickly appendages to their full length allowing her to see them. Her reaction is similar to Luna’s though she hides her shocked horror much worse. “Umbra! They look terrible! How can you even fly with them in such a state?”

I snap them shut with another shrug turning my attention to the food. “I have never attempted flight. There was no need; I lived my entire life beneath the ground. Did Luna not tell you that?”

She slowly looks away from my once more folded wings. “I…yes she did. The…spiderkin raised you? I’d never heard of them before. Then again there is a lot my aunt didn’t tell me when she was raising me.”

I begin to eat my meal, happy to find the flowers a variety I’ve yet to taste. “What of your parents?”

She blinks. “My parents? What about them?”

“You were raised by your aunt yes? What happened to your mother and father?” It then occurs perhaps this is one of those ‘awkward’ questions I should not ask so frankly. “I apologize if it is too personal a matter to discuss.”

She laughs softly. “No, no it’s not. I was…separated from them when I was very young. Aunt Celestia took me in and raised me as her own.”

“Separated?”

“Yes.”

There is a long stretch as I wait for her to elaborate…but she does not. I shrug and shift my focus back to the food. “Why do you hate changelings so?”

My question again takes her by surprise, though she seems to recover more quickly. “Did Luna or your friend Tak tell you at all about what happened two years ago?”

I shrug. “Something about Queen Chrysalis masquerading as you to conquer Equestria yes?”

She laughs again. “You’re very blunt Umbra, but yes. She imprisoned me and stole my face. Then she controlled my husband’s mind and fed off his love for weeks. If not for Twilight she would have succeeded too. I suppose it’s not fair to judge the entire species by the acts of one queen but we know so very little about them.”

“Perhaps you would like to meet Tak? I am told he is…very likeable by all he meets.”

She tilts her head at that, staring intently at me now. “Oh my. You love him don’t you?”

My eyes widen and I nearly spit out the mouthful of soup I was in the midst of eating. Forcing it back down I swallow. “W-why would you say that?”

Her smile is soft now…the same smile Luna had at times. “I’m the princess of love. The subtle shift in your voice, the way you speak about him. A pony loves a changeling all on her own.” She seemed lost in her quiet musings for a moment. “Perhaps I should meet him.”

“Two ponies actually. Trixie and I both have claims to Tak.”

Her eyebrow rises. “A herd? It’s been a long time since I’ve seen one of those.” She laughs. “And with a changeling as a stallion no less. Umbra you are a very strange pony, but that’s not a bad thing.”

“Thank you, I think? I find every one of you ponies to be strange. But that is not a bad thing.” I smile and she smiles back. Our meal is much more comfortable after that. She asks me of my life with my family and what it is like in the tunnels of our home. She seems more curious than put off by the stories of my subterranean lifestyle.

“It all sounds so very exciting. I wasn’t really allowed to leave the castle until I was nearly an adult. It seems like everypony I meet has led a fuller life than me.”

I frown now at her dejected tone. “Nonsense. You are married to the pony you love yes? You have friends, family, and an entire empire you rule over. You and your husband repelled Chrysalis’ invasion and saved Equestria. That is an impressive list of accomplishments in my opinion.”

She stands levitating the empty tray to the kitchen. “…thank you Umbra. I think you’re more of a pony than you realize. You and your friends should come back for dinner. Shining Armor and Jennifer will be there, maybe Aunt Celestia if she behaves.”

“I believe they would enjoy that, and I most certainly would. Tak may need some convincing, your husband was less than kind.”

Cadence sighs as she begins the trip back to her throne room. “I’ll have a talk with him. I think it was worse for him than me, being controlled as he was. Not being able to help me. But he’s a sweetheart underneath it all. He just needs time to warm up to the idea.”

“Very well. We will return this evening then. Thank you for talking with me Cadence. I have been missing my family of late…but Tak and Trixie help. My time with Luna was pleasant eventually, and I certainly enjoyed this afternoon. I did not expect to find family on the surface but it appears I have.”

Tentatively she embraces me. “It’s always nice to make new friends, and meeting new family is even better. I’ll see you tonight cousin.” She grins playfully before seating herself upon her throne once more.

I leave the palace feeling refreshed. Family on the surface. A cousin in Cadence, an Aunt in Celestia one day perhaps? Tak and Trixie are…what? Mate and sister perhaps? And what of Luna? My smile fades as I think on the lunar princess. My birth mother. Queen Spinneret was the only parent I had growing up. But is it not the norm for ponies to have two parents? And not always a mother and father. Two females coupling is quite common I have found and the unicorns use magic’s to allow them to bear foals.

Perhaps I could have two mothers, even if they never knew one another. It would not necessarily be a betrayal to the woman who raised me, merely an acknowledgement of the mare who birthed me. Certainly something to consider when next I meet with her.

I shake my head with a sigh as I approach the park. Pointedly avoiding the route that would lead my by the library again. I arrive in time to hear the thunderous applause signaling the end of the show. I make my way through the crowd to the wagon as my friends step backstage. “It sounds as if the performance was well received.”

“Ha! Well received is an understatement! We killed out there! Oh I was practically swimming in the bits!” Trixie is smiling ear to ear levitating a huge sack of coin.

Tak resumes his stallion shape with a flash. “It was pretty great, y’shoulda been here Umbra.”

I shrug. “I was having lunch with my cousin.”

The pair exchange a surprised glance. “Cousin? You mean Princess Cadence?”

Tak shrugs. “S’pose it makes sense. She’s Celestia’s niece that makes her Luna’s niece too. Luna’s yer ma so that makes y’cousins.”

“Indeed. We are invited to dinner this evening. Cadence is very eager to speak with you Tak.”

His smile fades. “I dunno if that’s a good idea.”

Trixie snorts. “Of course we’re going. If she wanted to throw you in prison or something she wouldn’t need to lure us in with a dinner invitation Tak. She’s an alicorn princess. Immortal and all powerful?”

Immortal and all powerful. Does that apply to me as well? I certainly do not feel all powerful, having been bested by Jennifer and Kilanna. Tak looks about to protest but at the look both Trixie and I give his words die in his throat.

“Cripes it’s like I got two queens alluva sudden. ONE was more’n enough thank you very much.”

Trixie grins. “Well now that that’s settled, what am I going to wear? I haven’t needed formal attire in…ever!”

I shrug. “I do not believe you need it now. She did not seem as though she stood on ceremony very much.”

Trixie snorts. “So? I want to make a good impression.” Her eyes light up as she focuses on the sack of money. “We’re going shopping!”

I gather from the horror stricken look on Tak’s face this is not a prospect he would enjoy. Odd because it seems such a simple endeavor. “For clothing?”

She nods. “Of course! We need dresses! Big fancy crystal dresses! Come on you two the market’s nearby!”

Tak looks reluctant but at my smile he sighs and falls into step with us. Several hours later I understand his hesitance. Trixie insisted on trying on nearly every gown in the poor dress maker’s shop. She forced me into more than a few as well but I made a selection with haste, eager to be done. The hour was already growing late as we left the shop, gowns clutched firmly in her magical aura.

“A quick stop at the wagon to change and then we’ll be off!”

I sigh and begin to protest when suddenly the sun vanished and the moon seems to fling itself into place with unnatural haste. A bright shaft of silver light lances down from the glowing orb aiming somewhere in the city.

“I do not believe this is normal.”

Tak shakes his head. “Sure as Tartarus ain’t. Let’s go ladies!”

Trixie as we break into a run, looking torn between following and dropping her dresses safely at the wagon. With an anguished wail she tosses them to a nearby roof top and gives chase.

If I knew at the time what we were running towards I would have had Trixie remain with the wagon.

Author's Note:

One chapter to go, big finale comin up next! :o