• Published 24th Feb 2013
  • 1,349 Views, 27 Comments

Maybe for the best - Fat1thatyoulove



Part 18 to the Maybe series Follow the main character thought his newest trails as he tries to better understand the power he possess.

  • ...
4
 27
 1,349

Chapter 1

Maybe for the...

Chapter 1 – Maybe for the best

The train lets out a high pitched squeal as it grains its way into the Ponyville station. You give a relieved sigh as the train comes to a complete stop; you turn your eyes from the floor of the train that you have been studying since you left Canterlot towards the window you sit beside. The small town has never looked so nice, the hay covered buildings and friendly talking ponies outside just seem a lot better than the always busy Canterlot streets. You get a smile as you stare out the window and think out loud, “we’re home.”

Twilight picks her head up from the seat next to you where she has been resting, “We’re back already?” She gives a yawn as she looks to the window.

Spike stands on the seat across from you both with his arms crossed, “ya, home…”

You look at him with a little confusion, “I like Ponyville.”

Spike motions to the window, “Oh no, I like Ponyville, but there are no good places to get a good gem salad.” He licks his lips as he rubs his claws together.

You roll your eyes at the comment as you stand from your seat with a stretch of your front legs.

The brown train pony calls from the door, “Okay everypony, you can get off now.”

You wait by your seat as a few little fillies happily run past you to the door.

Twilight hoovers her bag over herself as she stands, “Spike, Rarity wanted us to bring her some things, maybe she will let you get a gem.”

Spike lets out a joyfully sigh as his gaze turns long, “Awww ya.”

As you follow Twilight to the door you can smell the Ponyville air that is seeping in. You never really liked the smell of grass but after being kept in a city for so long it’s nice to get a deep breath of air that doesn't smell like stone.

As you step out of the train your ears are assaulted by a loud banging sound, your world goes sideways as your equilibrium is lost. As you fight to regain your stance there is only one thought running through your head, oh shit flash bang! Quick call of duty has trained you for this.
But all of your so called training leaves you as the pink bouncing ball of fluff assaults you in a warm happy, bone crushing, loveable, death grip, “SURPRISE!”

As Pinkies grip tightens her words loosen, “Oh my Celestia! It’s been like forever!”
You manage a few words as you try not tripping over your tail as you struggle to break free of Pinkies hug, “Hi…P-Pinkie glad to be b-back.”
Pinkie releases you as she springs for Twilight, “sorryIdidnothavetwopartycannonsIthoughtyouwouldcomeoffthetrainfirst.BUTthatsokbecuaseNOWyougetthebiggerhug.”

Twilight puts a hoof between herself and her flailing friend, “Not so tight Pinkie.”

As Pinkie continues to flail her pink legs she talks, “It’s been three weeks, that’s like twenty one days! Did you get my letters!” she taps her hoof to her mouth as she stops trying to hug Twilight, “well I guess you had to get my letters you wrote back.” She points her hoof to you now, “OH! You’re getting better at writing your name! I could read the first two letters.” She gives a happy smile to you.

You nod as you think, first two!? Pinkie please, I wrote that good.

Pinkie gasps as she pulls a cyan blob to her side, “I almost forgot, Rainbow’s here to say hello!”

Rainbow gives a wave to you three as Pinkie gives another gasp and a jump, lunge towards Spike, “And how could I forget my favorite dragon!?”

Twilight’s body tenses a little as she gives Rainbow a hug, “Nice to see you.”

You watch the exchange with a sense of guilt as the thought creeps into your mind, with Discord happening you never really got a chance to talk to Twilight about…you break the thought as you give another polite gesture to Rainbow.

Rainbow talks in her normal tomboyish proud voice, “So, now that you two are back what Celestia got you doing this time?”

Twilight’s body language changes at the question, “Well, when you all left the Princess had me send Discord away and now she…”

Rainbow and Pinkie both give a sharp eye to Twilight’s comment, “she had you do what?”

Pinkie continues to rant, “Ohman,whenDiscordshowedupandturnedustostone IwasafriedIwouldnevereatacupcake AGAIN!”

Rainbow butts in, “Wait why did Celestia have you do it?!”

Pinkie continues to talk but in a lower voice as she realizes nopony listening.

Twilight holds her head up proudly as she answers Rainbow’s question, “Celestia wanted Discord sent to a place where he could not use his magic, and she need somepony with a strong tie to use the magic to send him to.” She pauses at the word, “Human world.”

Rainbow looks shocked as she questions her further, “But…but how could you use a spell like that? Doesn’t unicorn magic only come from like love and friendship? There’s no way you could have done that spell without burning yourself up.”

You swallow back your thoughts as Twilight continues to proudly exclaim her answer.

“The Princess had me training with the human magic because that’s what I needed to use to send Discord away.”

Rainbow now has a look of confusion as she talks, “But, human magic is like unpredictable right?” She points her hoof at you, “He sucked me into a book with it.”

Twilight shifts a little at Rainbows question as she looks at you, “No, it’s perfectly fine.”

Rainbow can see a sign of disapproval in your face as you take your eyes from Twilight. She stops her questions, “okay that’s cool.”

Pinkie hops back into the conversation with an off topic word, “Cupcakes!”

You stare at her in confusion as she continues.

“All that talk about Discord really makes me want to have a cupcake, anypony else want some?”

Twilight gives a sweet smile as she answers, “I have been craving a Sugarcube corner cupcake, I thi..-“

Pinkie springs behind Twilight in one motion as she pushes her across the wood train station floor, “Good, let’s get some.”

Twilight breaks from her assault as she walks away, “We’ll catch up, I need to check on the library.”

Rainbow spreads her wings as she talks, “suit yourself Twi.”

Pinkie smiles, “okey dokey lokey.” She hops away at the end of her sentence.

As you watch the pink ball of fluff bounce away you laugh to yourself, how can she be trusted around food?

You and Spike follow after Twilight as you start to the library. As you leave the wood station floor your hooves come into contact with the cool dirt for the first time in maybe three weeks, oh sweet…Celestia this feels better than stone.

Your tongue flops out of your mouth as you follow close behind Twilight. But after a few dirty looks from ponies around you, you finally realize how awkward it must be to see a stallion walking behind a mare with his tongue out and his head slunk back a bit.

You straighten your poster a bit as you near the library, Twilight and Spike hurry inside. But you stop outside as you look over the great tree, home sweet home…you smile as your sentence finishes in your head. You take another deep breath before you walk inside.

When you close the door behind you, you again stop to look around; well I still hate the smell of books.

Twilight is to your right struggling to undo the strap on her satchel.

You give a light hearted smile as you stare at her, “need some help?”

Twilight bites at the band with her mouth and tries to talk, “mufffjsjfj.”

You place your hoof on the bag to stop it from shifting as she loosens the band and floats the bag off herself, “Thanks, Pinkie must have pulled the bag when she hugged me.”

You hover the bag from her as you give a playful tease, “oh no a bag, help, help.”

Twilight’s magic overcomes yours as she floats it up the stairs, “Ha ha, I’ll remember that for tonight.”

Your smile fades as your ears perk up.

You hear a knock on the door and your thoughts shift as you hear a knocking behind you, come on Pinkie, we said we would be there.

As you open the door an angry grey unicorn stallion stands in the doorway…well doesn’t really stand, “Um…hi Tombstone?”

The grey pony looks you over before talking in a sarcastically annoyed voice, “Oh, this explains why the library has been closed for the last few weeks, the drunk works here.”

You pause blinking at his comment as you look down at him, drunk?...oh ya.

He floats a book up to you, “Well anyways, here’s your book back. Would not recommend it, does not help at all.”

As he turns to walk away and you close the door. Spike comes up to you, “I got it.” He takes the book from your hoof as you glance at the title, Of graves & roses.

You look to the stairs as you hear Twilight’s hooves hitting the wood, “let’s get to Sugarcube corner before it gets too late, I don’t want to eat dinner there.”

End of chapter 1