• Published 23rd Feb 2013
  • 6,076 Views, 41 Comments

The Doctor Whooves Chronicles Episode 1: Derpy - Doctor Perseus



Following an accident with the TARDIS, the Doctor finds himself in a strange universe with a new body that he didn't gain from regeneration. Meanwhile, a pegasus named Derpy is unaware that her life is about to change forever.

  • ...
3
 41
 6,076

The Artist and the Princess

Chapter 3: The Artist and the Princess

Gaia, 1002 C.E.

Carrot Top awoke to find the house empty. She trudged her way into the kitchen to grab herself a quick bite to eat. She wasn't surprised to find a fresh amount of muffins packaged and stuffed in the pantry. She grabbed the nearest muffin, unwrapped the plastic around it, and took a bite. It was banana nut, her favorite. She sat down at the kitchen table and looked at the clock. It read half past noon.

"I was asleep for that long? Huh. Didn't realize that I needed that much sleep," she said to herself as she took another bite of muffin. "I wonder where Derpy is. Her shift shouldn't have lasted that long today with nearly everypony in town having gone up to Canterlot for the wedding." She turned towards the window and chuckled. "Maybe she went and found herself an adventure. Hmpf...if only."

Carrot Top finished her muffin and walked into the living room. She noticed that a book was sitting on the coffee table and it looked fairly new. She approached the book and read the title aloud, "A Guide to Equestrian History by Morgan Freecolt. Huh. When did he become a writer?" She looked around the room and back to the book. "Did Derpy get this? I can't imagine why. She's not really into history or any of that stuff. Maybe this was a package for Twilight Sparkle that got dropped off here by mistake. I wouldn't doubt that." She picked up the book and examined the cover with a close inspection. Suddenly, a small note fell out of the book and onto the floor. "Hello. What's this?" Carrot Top bent down and picked up the note. It was from Derpy.

Here's a little something that I thought you'd enjoy. Get better soon! Oh! And I recommend that you start on page 57.

-Derpy

Carrot Top tilted her head in confusion as she examined the note and then turned her attention back to the book.

"Why would Derpy get me a book on history, of all things? This is a first," she said as she opened the book. She let out a sick cough and sat down on the nearby sofa. "Well, it's not like I have anything else to do at the moment. I might as well have something to read while I wait for Derpy to come home." She looked back at the note and began flipping through the pages. "Page fifty-seven huh?" She finally came to the page and began reading out loud to herself. "Chapter five. The banishment of Princess Luna. It was only a few short years following the fall of Discord that a dark presence began to make itself known from beyond the eyes of Princess Luna. It was a presence that Princess Celestia noticed almost immediately and-" Carrot Top stopped. Her eyes fell upon the next page, which was home to a picture of an old painting created by a Sir Isaac Longhair. Carrot Top's eyes widened as she took a closer look at the picture. "No way!"

Gaia, 0 C.E.

Derpy was led into a large room somewhere deep in the castle. It was warm and cozy in the room but it was not enough to make Derpy forget about what was happening outside.

"Hello, fair mare!" said a soothing and sophisticated voice from nearby. Derpy looked to see a stallion with a brown coat, paintbrush cutie mark, and an incredibly lengthy dark-brown mane standing a few feet from her. "I am Sir Isaac Longhair of New Equestria! The presence of a radiant pegasus mare such as yourself is quite a sight for these sore eyes, if I do admit." Derpy blushed a bit. She had never been called radiant before. Then again, the Doctor had just recently called her a beauty but she still wasn't sure about what the odd time traveling stallion meant by some of his odd and emphasized word choices.

"New Equestria?" Derpy asked suddenly. She was sure that she should have started off with a thank you for his compliment, but Isaac seemed to take Derpy's question with a calm and polite ease.

"Yes. Of course, you must have heard of it. The wondrous and magnificent garden of heaven that resides in the far east of this great land!"

"Garden?"

"Yes. We grow a lot of apples there. I guess one could call New Equestria one big apple of sorts."

"Big apple? New Equestria? Oh!" It suddenly clicked. Derpy remembered back to her early history lessons in school. "I remember now! New Equestria was what Manehattan used to be called! That is, before the orchards and gardens began to be removed in order to make room for buildings, fancy apartments, and stuff like that." Derpy said this under her breath in order to prevent Isaac from hearing her.

"Have a lot on your mind, fair mare?" Derpy turned her attention back to Isaac and shook her head.

"Yes. No. Maybe. Uh...I'm fine!" Derpy and Isaac were silent for a moment. "My name's Derpy, by the way."

"Derpy. Such a unique and foreign name. Truly, you are a mare who has traveled a long way."

"You could say that."

"Where does your land of origin reside?"

"Ponyville." Derpy wanted to slap herself for saying that for she suddenly remembered that Ponyville didn't exist yet.

"Ponyville? I don't believe I've heard that name before, and I've certainly traveled far and wide, mind you. I've gone into the darkest depths of the Griffin Kingdom and have fought against countless savages in the sandy depths of the Great Desert!"

"Saddle Arabia," Derpy corrected under her breath.

"What was that?"

"Nothing!"

"It is clear that you have a lot on your mind. Do not feel alienated by this. We are all facing internal and external conflicts at this point." The castle shook around them and Derpy jumped. "Case and point: our tragically-lost Princess Luna." Derpy looked around the room she was in and realized that there weren't many other ponies there aside from Isaac and herself.

"Where is everypony else?"

"Yes. This used to be quite a packed abode. Now it's been emptied. Everypony's fled, my dear. They fear the wrath of Nightmare Moon."

"Why haven't you fled?"

"I trust in Celestia to bear good fruit from this conflict. I believe she shall free her sister from her evils and this land will begin to flourish under their rule once again." Derpy gulped. She knew all to well that the outcome of this battle would bear no fruit as good as what he's describing. Derpy looked and realized that Isaac was studying her face. "You harbor some doubt in Celestia? I can see it in the gleam of your eyes."

"I don't doubt her abilities in stopping Nightmare Moon...I just don't think she'll be able to save Luna as well."

"Why be so determined in such grim outcomes? Optimism is the best thing to have in times like this aside from hope."

"I guess. So, Isaac, what do you do?"

"I am a capturer of beauty. I take what I see and apply it to canvas in a barrage of colors and imagination."

"So...you're a painter?"

"Yes, if you choose to describe my profession in such simple terms." Isaac appeared to be slightly hurt by Derpy's unintentional downgrading of his apparent passion and Derpy gave a nervous smile.

"I didn't mean to hurt your feelings if I did. I love looking at art! Art is beautiful!"

"Yes. It can be very beautiful. I can only hope that some of my own creations will be remembered well into the future."

"I'm sure they will, if enough ponies like them."

"That's just it, my fair Derpy. I have yet to show my creations to anypony."

"Then how are you going to know if anypony likes your work or not? That's how you become famous: by showing your work to others and getting feedback!"

"What you say is true. If I survive this war of the Princesses, then I shall do as you say and begin my attempts to hop onto the path of remembrance!" The castle shook again and Isaac took a hold of one of Derpy's hooves. "Come. We must travel deeper into the castle for safety. I fear that the battle will be right above us incredibly soon." Derpy nodded as she proceeded to follow Isaac deeper into the depths of the castle.

The Doctor awoke and rolled his eyes in annoyance.

"Knocked out cold twice in less that twenty-four hours. This interesting day is beginning to have its share of annoyances!" the Doctor snapped as he stood up. He suddenly remembered Derpy and began looking all around him for any sign of the gray pegasus. "Derpy?! Derpy?! Ms...er...damn...she didn't even tell me her last name! Uh...Ms. Derpy?! You here?!" There was no response. The Doctor turned his attention back to the TARDIS doors. "If she's gone out then by the stars of Kasterborous so help me!" The Doctor ran over to the doors and opened them. The exterior of a damaged castle stood before him. He took a few cautious steps through the doors and made sure to close and lock them behind him. "Still need to get used to these hooves. Anyway, I best find that pegasus...I hope nothing bad has happened to her." The Doctor shook his head as he began to approach the castle. Suddenly, a bright flash of light temporarily blinded him.

"WHO ARE THEE?!" asked a commanding female voice. The Doctor regained his vision and looked forward. A tall white alicorn with a sun tattoo on her flanks and a multicolored mane stood before him. A large golden crown was perched on her head.

"I guess it's a thing in this world to have a tattoo planted on your rump. I mean an hourglass for me, bubbles for Derpy, and a sun for this alicorn and...oh! Brilliant! An alicorn!"

"WE SHALL ASK AGAIN! WHO ARE THEE?!"

"I'm the Doctor! Pleasure to meet you Ms...er...who are you?"

"YOU DO NOT KNOW OF US?! WE ARE THE RULER OF THIS LAND, PRINCESS CELESTIA!"

"Oh! So you're Princess Celestia! Pleasure to meet you, your majesty, and might I say that you have quite a pair of lungs. May I inquire about what the shouting and the use of we is about?"

"IT IS TRADITION FOR A RULER TO USE THE ROYAL WE AND TO USE THIS MUCH VOLUME WHEN SPEAKING WITH ONE'S SUBJECTS!"

"Ah. Odd tradition. I do hope you grow out of it in the future."

"WE INSIST THAT YOU GET INSIDE! MY SISTER HAS ONLY RETREATED TEMPORARILY! SHE WILL RETURN AND WILL MOST CERTAINLY BE LOOKING TO SPILL MORE BLOOD!"

"Alrighty then. I shall just make my way into the castle. Besides, I have an acquaintance who may have gotten herself lost in here." The Doctor proceeded to smile, bow, and nod at the Princess. "It was a pleasure to meet you, Princess." Princess Celestia nodded as she walked off. The Doctor quickly took note of how battered and beaten she looked. "That must be some fight going on." The Doctor suddenly thought back to what Derpy had said earlier. "Wait a moment, Derpy said that Celestia co-ruled Equestria with her sister Luna. So why are they fighting now? I best find Derpy and get my questions answered." The Doctor then took off towards the interior of the castle.

Derpy was happy to find that the explosions had stopped but she was still nervous. She was unclear about what was happening outside. Had Celestia already banished Luna, or was the fight still continuing? Derpy and Isaac eventually came to a stop in a lounge located deep within the castle. Nopony else was in the lounge aside from a few weary soldiers.

"Everypony is ready for the day to return. The night has lasted for far too long," said Isaac.

"How long has it been since Nightmare Moon started the endless night?" Derpy asked.

"Oh Celestia, how long has it been? I can't say that I can recall. Time has since faded away since the sun set for its final time."

"It'll rise again. Don't worry."

"I see that my optimism has rubbed off on you."

"I guess you could say that." Derpy was quiet for a moment until a thought popped into her head. "Tell me, has Celestia used the Elements of Harmony yet?"

"Oh no. Celestia has been prolonging her use of those elements for as long as she can. I believe she still hopes that she can reach her sister. I believe so as well."

"Maybe...maybe she will have to use them."

"But you of course were here to see what happened when they used the weapons against Discord."

"How long has it been since Discord was defeated? Sorry, I'm...experiencing a bit of memory loss."

"Oh. Got a nasty bump on the head I would guess?"

"Maybe. I can't remember." Derpy smiled and tried her best to make her lie sound as believable as possible.

"It's been a little over three years since the fall of Discord. Everypony was happy...then Princess Luna began to change. I fear that the incident in the north possibly had something to do with this." Derpy was about to ask another question when suddenly, Captain Iroh burst into the room. He was followed by a group of soldiers and was leading along a group of innocent ponies.

"You shall all stay in here until the danger has passed!" ordered Captain Iroh.

"Oi! No need to be that pushy!" snapped a familiar voice.

"Oh, you've got to be kidding," Derpy groaned. She felt her eyes invert as she spotted the Doctor in the crowd. He noticed her, smiled, frowned, and ran over to her.

"There you are! Why the hell did you leave me alone in the TARDIS?!"

"I...uh-" Derpy choked on her words as she noticed Captain Iroh examining her closely.

"Madame, do you know this stallion?" he asked.

"Uh...no...I don't know him." Derpy turned back to the Doctor and mouthed: I'm pretending to have amnesia! Just go along with it!

The Doctor smiled and mouthed: Brilliant thinking, Ms. Derpy! He then turned to Captain Iroh and said, "It appears that my friend doesn't remember me. I accidentally caused a rock to fall on her head. Nasty accident. Caused her to lose her memory and we got separated when the Princesses began fighting. Sorry about the confusion." Captain Iroh eyed Derpy and the Doctor with intense suspicion.

"Keep out of trouble and out of harm's way. Same goes to the rest of you!" snapped the Captain as he proceeded to lead his soldiers back up towards the outside of the castle.

"So, you are the traveling companion of this fair mare?" Isaac asked as he turned to the Doctor.

"You could say that," the Doctor replied. The chestnut stallion then turned his attention to Derpy. Derpy gulped. "I can save my pointless scolding for later. Right now, I have a few questions."

"Like?" Derpy asked.

"What's caused the fight between your land's co-rulers?"