• Published 23rd Feb 2013
  • 6,073 Views, 41 Comments

The Doctor Whooves Chronicles Episode 1: Derpy - Doctor Perseus



Following an accident with the TARDIS, the Doctor finds himself in a strange universe with a new body that he didn't gain from regeneration. Meanwhile, a pegasus named Derpy is unaware that her life is about to change forever.

  • ...
3
 41
 6,073

The Box in the Forest

Chapter 1: The Box in the Forest

Gaia, 1002 C.E.

Derpy woke up fairly early the following morning. She looked out her bedroom window to see a thin trail of smoke rising from the Everfree Forest and into the morning sky. She rubbed her eyes and yawned before hopping out of bed. Derpy could tell that Carrot Top was still asleep due to hearing her friend's loud snores reverberate down the hallway. Derpy giggled as she passed by Carrot Top's bedroom and made her way downstairs. Her stomach growled loudly.

"Time to eat," she said with a smirk as she began looking through the cupboards for any side of food. After ten minutes of searching, all she was able to find was a bag of English muffins. "Ugh! English muffins!" Derpy was a fan of muffins but English muffins were the only exception. She didn't just dislike them. She hated them. Nothing about them said muffin. They were just tasteless pieces of yeast to her. The thing that Derpy found the most perplexing about them was their name: English muffins. What was up with that name anyway? It didn't make any sense. Yeah, English was the main language of Equestria but why name a quote-unquote muffin after it? Then again, why was English even called English? It wasn't really a word that sounded Equestrian. It sounded so odd and bland and average compared to the names of other languages like Draconese, the old language of the dragons, or Fantaisie, the main language of Prance. Equestria just had English, the sore thumb of a world of varying languages.

Derpy shook her head. Her mind had been trailing off again. She had a habit of doing that. Her stomach growled again. She sure was hungry. She looked at the English muffins and shook her head. Sure, she was hungry but she wasn't that hungry. She threw the bag of English muffins deep into the back of the pantry and closed the doors. She then grabbed a money pouch, exited the house, and began making her way towards the store. She had to do a few errands and have a proper breakfast before her mail shift started. As she made her way to the store, her eyes drifted back towards the trail of smoke rising from the Everfree Forest.

The Doctor was incredibly sore when he woke up. Everything was blurry. He tried to stand up but found that he didn't have the strength to do that yet. His insides burned like fire while his outsides were chilled to the bone. His breathing was raspy and disorganized and one of his eyes was twitching a bit. His vision began to clear up and he was at least happy to see that the interior of the TARDIS wasn't too badly damaged. It was certain that the ship needed her rest though. The Doctor then turned towards the doors to see that they were slightly open. An odd smell was drifting through the doorway. It was a smell that consisted of the odors of several bizarre plants and creatures. The Doctor tried to pick himself up but his body was still weak. However, he found that he could crawl to an extent. He began crawling his way over to the doors.

Eventually he made it. He poked his head through the doorway and took in a huge breath of air. He cocked his head a bit. Everything smelled so strange. He definitely wasn't on Earth. Too many foreign smells. Not even the Earth of the distant past or future smelled this exotic. There was something new about this place. The Doctor pulled himself out of the TARDIS and onto a patch of grass. The TARDIS had parked, or in this case crashed, in the middle of a forest clearing. The TARDIS had created a small, black crater around itself. Patches of burnt grass and flowers spread out throughout the clearing. Some of the surrounding trees had been damaged slightly. A trail of smoke was rising from the TARDIS and up into the sky. The Doctor turned his head and noticed that a stream was flowing through the middle of the clearing. The water looked oddly clean but it smelled wonderfully refreshing. It was at this moment that the Doctor realized how thirsty he was. He pulled himself over to the stream and, without giving it a second thought, brought his face down into the water. It tasted divine and almost immediately brought strength back to the Doctor's body. He lifted his face out of the stream and rolled over onto his back. A feeling of warmth and comfort began spreading throughout his body.

"That feels better," said the Doctor and he proceeded to rub his temple. It was here that he realized something odd about his body. He couldn't move his fingers or toes. Come to think of it, it felt as if he didn't even have fingers or toes. The Doctor looked and his right hand and one of his hearts skipped a beat for he found himself looking at not a hand but a...hoof. A chestnut-colored hoof. He then went on to realize just how odd his face felt. His nose and mouth seemed to protrude away from his head a little bit farther than normal. His teeth felt bigger and his nostrils more open. His muscles felt slightly stronger and his skin felt much more durable. He looked at his body and realized that a chestnut coat of hair covered his entire body. It was at this moment that the Doctor gained enough strength to stand up. When he stood up, he realized that he wasn't standing on two legs but on four! He looked towards his rump to see that a long, brown tail was now sticking out of his upper rump. A picture of an hourglass seemed to be imprinted on both sides of his...flanks. The Doctor took his left...hoof and ran it through his hair. His hair felt much more lustrous and wavy. "Oh, you've got to be kidding me!" The Doctor ran over to the stream and looked at his reflection. To his surprise, a horse version of himself was staring back at him from the reflective water. The Doctor looked all over his body again. His brown pinstriped suit, light blue shirt, and red tie was still on but had been altered to fit his horse figure while his pants and shoes were gone. As the realization of what was happening began to set in, the Doctor shrugged his shoulders and said, "Well...this is new."

Derpy was still thinking about the trail of smoke as she began her mail route. Her shift wouldn't last that long for most of the ponies in town were still up in Canterlot. The wedding was tonight so everypony that hadn't already left was either gone or preparing to leave by this point. Only a select few were staying in Ponyville. After delivering a package to Cranky Doodle Donkey, she made her way back over to the post office to drop off her mailbag and uniform. Upon dropping off her uniform she noticed the trail of smoke again. She shook her head and began making her way back home.

"Just ignore it, Derpy. It's just smoke," she said to herself. However, she couldn't stop thinking about it. The curiosity she had about finding out where the smoke was coming from was just too much to resist. "I'm sure a quick look wouldn't hurt." Derpy fluttered her wings and began flying over towards the Everfree Forest.

It didn't take Derpy long to remember just how dark it was inside the Everfree Forest. It didn't bother her, though. She wasn't terrified of the dark. However, the creatures that lived inside the forest did scare Derpy a bit. She carefully made her way through the collection of dark trees. It seemed to grow darker and darker as she made her way deeper and deeper into the forest. Derpy wished that she could fly over the forest but she had heard many times that the forest had some sort of weird magic working on it that prevented anypony from finding a certain part of the forest by flying over it. From the sky, it would look like a large mass of trees and would block anything from view. The forest housed a lot of things like Zecora's home, an endless abyss, a river, and the Castle of the Regal Sisters. All of which could only be approached on hoof. Even though the canopy of trees above Derpy prevented her from seeing the trail of smoke, she could still smell it. This smoke smelt strange though. It was an odor that was hard to describe. The best word that Derpy could think of to describe the smell was alien. Eventually, a few specks of light appeared in the distance. Derpy broke into a run. She was anxious to get out of the dark.

She found herself in a clearing. It wasn't that big but it was at least warm and welcoming. A small stream curved its way through the clearing. The thing that immediately caught Derpy's eye was a blue box situated towards the edge of the clearing. She quickly identified it as the source of the smoke.

"That's the shooting star from last night?" Derpy asked as she made her way forward. A small, black crater encircled the box. Derpy was surprised to see that the box looked pretty intact. She looked at the words printed above the doors. "Police Public Call Box. Hmm." Derpy pressed her hooves against the doors and gave them a slight push. They were unlocked. "Hello? Is anypony in there?" Just then, Derpy heard a loud roar and a yell emanate from the trees. Birds of sorts flew from the tree tops and into the sky above the forest. Something was coming. In a moment of desperation, Derpy pushed the doors of the box open, ran inside, and closed them behind her. Her eyes widened at what she saw. A massive room was situated inside the box. "It's...it's...it's-" She could hear somepony or something approaching the exterior of the box. Derpy ran over to the center of the room and hid on the other side of the main console. Derpy watched as a strange earth stallion in a suit burst through the doors and shut them behind him. He then locked the doors just before something smashed into the exterior of the box.

"Okay! Time to get back to London!" said the stallion as he ran up to the console and began working the controls. Sparks flew down from the ceiling in response. "Come on! Don't fail me now! Not with a manticore on my tail!"

"A manticore?!" Derpy gasped as she stood up. She and the stallion froze as they locked eyes. Derpy blushed a bit and felt her eyes begin to invert from embarrassment. "Uh...hi. I'm Derpy."

The Doctor looked at the pegasus before him and what to groan in annoyance. First a manticore decides to chase him after he decided to take a quick look at the world he was in and now a pegasus had somehow gotten into the TARDIS. This just wasn't the Doctor's day.

"How did you get in here?!" asked the Doctor.

"The doors were unlocked," replied the pegasus known as Derpy. The Doctor wanted to slap himself. How could he have gone and left the TARDIS doors open?! The manticore slammed into the TARDIS again and the Doctor held onto the controls tightly.

"Oi! Stop hitting my TARDIS!"

"You're what?"

"Listen, Dreary-"

"It's Derpy."

"This isn't the best time to play twenty questions." The TARDIS groaned as the manticore slammed into it again. The Doctor continued to work the controls in vain. "Come on! Work! Work!" The Doctor pulled a nearby lever down with all his might and the TARDIS proceeded to give off its usual sound: VVRROOMMPP! VVRROOMMPP! VVRROOMMPP!

"What's happening?!" Derpy asked as the TARDIS leaned to the right.

"We're getting away from that manticore!" the Doctor replied.

"What? We're moving?!"

"Yes! What did you think this was? A random, stationary box in the middle of the forest?!"

"Actually, yes." The Doctor rolled his eyes. "Where are you taking me?!"

"Yes...well...uh...I don't know. Anywhere and anytime, I suppose."

"What do you-" The TARDIS then shot off through the time stream. Derpy screamed as the TARDIS proceeded to turn, shake, lean, and groan. The Doctor rolled his eyes again as he held tightly onto the TARDIS controls.

"Becoming a horse, ending up in another world, getting chased by a manticore, and now obtaining a hitchhiker and taking a trip off to an unknown time and place. Interesting way to start off one's day."