• Published 29th Apr 2013
  • 16,515 Views, 661 Comments

In a Flash of Lightning - Onomonopia



A hero comes to Equestria to re-capture a villian, but the world is not what he expected.

  • ...
33
 661
 16,515

Hero or Menace

"How could he have failed?" Sombra roared, using his dark powers to destroy a few pillars. He had watched the entire scene from a mystic orb that he had brought in his pack. At first it seemed like his plan had gone off without a hitch, but then the child who became that...hero came in and flattened one of the strongest villains in history. "Erebus was supposed to be able to defeat anything that wasn't the Elements of Harmony! How in the darkest abyss in all of Equestria did he fail?!"

"Maybe you sent the wrong villain," a dark voice whispered to him through the darkness. "Erebus, while one of the strongest, is a complete softy. Did you see the way he refused to harm any of the civilians? That shows that he was weak. We are better off without him." Sombra growled and ignored the voice, walking over to the orb again, replaying the fight with Erebus again to gather data. His enraged eyes never left the orb as he watched the child transform into what the ponies called an angel and proceeded to battle Erebus. Sombra hated his strength, hated his speed, but most of all he hated the fact that this angel had the ability to summon magical lightning, something that could even hurt him. This Billy child was more than a threat; he was a roadblock in his plans.

"I must find a way to defeat this angel," Sombra muttered, looking through Star-Swirls old spell book for a plan. While he did that, the voice in the darkness returned.

"Why not send me and my brothers? We are more than a match for the so called hero," it whispered into Sombra's ear. Sombra shook his head and growled.

"My powers have not yet returned from summoning that fool, Erebus. We must wait at least a few days before I can revive just one of you, let alone four. And besides," he said with a smile, turning towards the five remaining statues. "I'd rather save you four for last." The shadow growled, but vanished as Sombra walked right by it.

"My mistake was to underestimate these ponies and their friends. I've seen now that any friend of the Elements is an enemy of mine." He returned to the orb, continuing his watch over his new enemy.

{CM}

Billy awoke to the pleasant scent of apple pie and tea, something he hadn't had or smelled in forever. He quickly sprang out of bed, starling the still sleeping Spike and rushed down the stairs to the living room, where Twilight had just finished baking an apple pie.

"Look who’s finally awake," she said with a chuckle, watching his eyes widen at the sight of the pie. "Sit down at the table and I'll prepare you breakfast." Billy moved faster than she believed possible, sitting himself down in a flash. She sliced him a piece of the pie and served it to him with a cup of tea.

"Humans eat pie, right?" He nodded vigorously before decimating the pie, downing it in a few seconds. He polished off the tea twice as fast, smiling happily as he wiped his mouth with a napkin.

"That was delicious! Thanks for the meal!"

"No problem. Now, if you don't mind, can you answer a few more questions for me?" she asked politely, sitting down across from him. He shrugged his shoulders as Twilight began asking.

"Alright, you said yesterday that you know nothing of any angel, still care to stick by that answer." He nodded as his response, just as Twilight had predicted. "Okay, now the questions will get a little...personal. Can you tell me what happened to your parents? I don't want to make you feel bad; I just want to know what happened to you." Billy took in a deep breath as he re-visited memories that were better left buried.

"My parents, as I said, were gunned down when I was only a child. Childhood shredding memories aside, this is the main reason that I live by myself. That and my uncle threw me out," he said with a dry chuckle.

"H-how can you just laugh it off like that? You just told me that not only were your parents killed, but your only other family member tossed you out onto the streets! How can you-?"

"Keep my positive and sunny attitude despite all my setbacks?" he finished for her with a smile. "Simple. The past is the past, there's no point worrying about it because I can't change it. All I can do is face each day with a smile on my face." Twilight was stunned. She had never seen somepony so young besides Applebloom who lost a loved one and recovered so quickly. Then again, she had been even younger when her parents had passed away, so she probably didn't remember much. "So, what's the next question?"

"Um, how did you get here?" Twilight asked, not really what she wanted to say next but she was too preoccupied with what he had just told her to think clearly.

"A teleported malfunctioned and the resulting explosion blasted me across the sky into your world, where I then fell from the sky and face high fived the ground," he said with a serious expression. She scanned his face for any signs of lying, but his story was too ridiculous to be true.

"Fine, if you don't want to tell me, you don't have to," Twilight muttered, rolling her eyes. Before their little talk could continue, the door to the library opened and the mayor of Ponyville stepped inside.

"Hello, Princess Sparkle, I trust you rested well?" the mayor asked.

"Yes, I slept fine. Why have you come so early? I still haven't explained to Billy what we're doing today."

"That is un-important, you can explain to it on the way."

"Um, it has a name," Billy butted in, which gained him an uneasy look from the mayor.

"Are you sure it's...he's trained?" Mayor Mare asked. Billy frowned while Twilight rolled her eyes.

"Yes, he won't be a problem. Besides, he's only half the reason for this meeting." Billy was a little confused now, wondering what kind of meeting they were talking about. Twilight had gone upstairs and woken Spike and the four of them headed out to the center of town. Billy heard the crowd before he even saw them, hundreds of ponies gathered in one place and each of them talking to themselves. A stage had been set up in front of the crowd, with six chairs behind a podium. The crowds talking turned to a whisper when they saw Billy and the princess together. He gave them a small wave while Twilight pulled him through the crowd and to the front, sitting him down at one of the chairs and telling Spike to join the other Elements in the crowd. Billy sat there nervously as the mayor walked up to the podium, the entire crowd going silent as she cleared her throat.

"Mare's and gentle colts, today we gather to discuss a number of important events that have come up in our little village. The first of these events is the newest guest of honor to stay in our little town, Billy the human." She pointed to him as she said this, the entire crowd gasping in awe, making Billy even more nervous. "Yes, what a terrible time for Lyra to travel the world," Mayor Mare said with a chuckle. The crowd also laughed at this, Lyra being the only pony who believed in humans most the time.

"Next is the matter of what happened to our town. Princess Twilight will speak her opinion on the matter." The mayor stepped aside and allowed Twilight to step up to the podium. The entire crowd bowed as she approached the podium, making her blush like Billy had.

"There's no need to bow," she muttered, though no one listened. "I wish to speak to you about the menace that attacked us yesterday. Now I know some of you are wondering why I am here instead of Princess Celestia or Luna? That is because the two of them went north to battle yet another menace that had attacked a day ago. From the report...there were no survivors." The crowd gasped in shock at the news, whereas Billy was just as curious as he was shocked. Something that wiped out a whole village. He wasn't sure, but that sounds like the sort of thing Doomsday would do. Then again, he had just fought off another psycho who had tried to destroy the town, so maybe this was a common problem.

"The pony that attacked our town is named Erebus, the pony of darkness and nightmares. I know that most of you considered him an evil pony...in fact, he was an evil pony. But he was still a pony that deserves the right to live, despite what he did. That...angel almost killed him, a crime that we as ponies do not tolerate. So therefor, from now on the angel is a-"

"And maybe that's a good thing!" The crowd gasped and parted, revealing the one pony who had yelled out. He wasn't anyone special, but what he had said had an impact on everypony.

"What do you mean?" Twilight asked, echoing Billy's exact thoughts.

"I mean maybe it's a good thing that the angel almost killed him! I mean, every time a villain comes to our town, it's the same routine. They show up and destroy the place, you or somepony else comes along and stops them, you ship them off to a prison or something, then they break out and we repeat the process all over again," he explained, the entire crowd in silence. "Maybe it's time somepony kept these villains down for good. Somepony who ends them."

"That is not the way we do things," Twilight argued. "Yes, they have down some bad things, but you are exaggerating when you say that they keep coming back."

"Am I? Just a month ago Chrysalis returned and destroyed a third of Equestria in the ensuing battle. How many homes did we lose, how many ponies? If you had just destroyed her when you had the chance, none of it would've happened. Why should we go after somepony who was trying to do the town a favor?" he roared. Some of the town’s ponies looked around at their home, which was still scarred from the battle with Erebus. Then one began to applaud, then another, then another, until almost all of Ponyville was applauding for him. Twilight looked around stunned, not believing how the ponies were reacting. But nothing she was feeling could compare to the agony that Billy was going through.

The ponies were applauding the fact that he had almost ended another’s life. As the applauding grew louder and louder, Billy turned paler and paler, resisting the urge to throw up. He had been trying to protect and show them that they were safe, not that killing was an answer. Yet they were twisting the fact that he had almost killed on accident into an attempt on his life into a twisted version of justice.

"Are you all crazy?! He is not a hero, he is just as bad as Erebus!" Twilight roared, but none of the crowd was listening. They continued to chant for the angel, reaching a massive uproar of voices each calling out for the angel. Billy wanted to slide under his chair and hide, the embarrassment of the situation tearing him up inside. Twilight tried in vain to get the crowd to listen to her, but even her royal authority couldn't calm them down at this point. Billy noticed that none of the other Elements were joining in on the chanting, as they were looking around at the crowd in disbelief just as Twilight was.

"This isn't right." Twilight turned around to face Billy, who was watching the crowd with fear in his eyes. Twilight sighed and walked over to him, wrapping a wing around his shoulder.

"They’re just scared. That pony was right in saying that there have been a lot of attacks lately and that the citizens have been on edge," she explained to him, watching as the ponies got even wilder and wilder. "But that's no excuse to kill. There is no excuse to kill, even somepony like Erebus. But when ponies get scared, they tend to rally behind the dumbest of ideas if they believe it will keep them safe. This...is another one of those instances."

"I know what that's like. People, er, ponies, get so upset that they'll turn to anyone who said they can fix the problem, be that government officials or corrupt billionaires. They don't see who they are, only that they have the solution to their problem," Billy agreed, remembering what Luthor had tried on multiple occasions.

"Correct," Twilight said with a small smile. "You're pretty smart for just a kid of ten."

"Heh, I'm not smart, I've just seen this kind of thing a lot," he said softly, watching as the crowd began to thin out, all of them talking about him. He shook his head sadly, not liking where this might head. Twilight and Billy stood up to leave, the other Elements having already done the same. Spike joined back up with them and the three began to walk back to Twilight's house. Billy turned around to look back at the ponies all excited about the angel, wondering what new way of thinking he had brought to this new world.

{S}

Twilight had left the two alone at the library again, telling the two that she needed to head to Canterlot to inform her brother of the situation in Ponyville. The two decided to go visit the CMC, since there was really nothing else to do. As they walked through the streets, Billy noticed that there was a definite change in the air about town, as most the ponies seemed on edge with each other. Some of the ponies were putting up signs that welcomed the angel, while others were trying to ignore them and focus on repairing the city. Canterlot had sent a number of guards to help the city repair, all of whom eyed Billy with interest as he and Spike passed, already informed of who he was and why he was there.

"So what's it like?" Spike asked after a few minutes of silence.

"What's what like?"

"Being that powerful. I mean...I ready the rest of the section on Erebus and he was one of the ponies that lead to the death of Celestia and Luna's parents. He is insanely strong, yet he couldn't even hurt you," Spike said with a bit of excitement. "Then there was the whole lightning show. That was awesome. How does it feel?"

"It's...scary," Billy said softly, confusing the little dragon. "Yeah the powers are cool and all, but I'm scared of them sometimes. Like if I was to lose control and unleash there full power, I'd don't know what happen." Billy lowered his head and thought about something that had been bothering him for a while, since that one pony had spoken out during the meeting. "Do you think I did the right thing?"

"What do you mean?" Spike asked.

"I mean...letting Erebus live," he said in a whisper. Spike wasn't expecting a question like that, so he didn't even know how to begin an answer. He motioned for Billy to continue explaining, which Billy did with a sigh. "You heard what that pony said, that this isn't the first time that this has happened. The bad guys always show up, they destroy, get stopped and then the whole thing starts again...Should I have killed him, ended his terror once and for all?" Spike didn't know what to say. How could someone answer a question like that?

"I can't answer that for you, Billy. You're the one with the powers, so you get to make that decision. It can't be made by somepony else," Spike said with a shrug. "Just think it over. That's my two bits." Billy nodded, hearing the truth in Spike's words, but that didn't make it any easier on him. He had always been taught by Superman that killing was wrong, that there was never a need to kill others to defeat them. But how many more innocent had died because they hadn't killed the villains and instead allowed them to go free? His parents had been killed by such a villain, leaving him to fend for himself all his life and when he had the chance to take revenge years later, he had been talked down by Superman. But Black Adam just kept coming back, killing and causing more pain. Should he have killed him as well?

"Hey Spike, can you promise me something?"

"What's that?"

"Don't tell any of the ponies that I'm...you know, the angel," he asked in a whisper.

"Sure pal, I won't tell." The two continued to walk, Spike starting to talk about one of his adventures with Twilight, but Billy was too caught up in his thoughts to listen.

"...Hello, anypony in there?" Spike's voice snapped Billy out of his thoughts and back into reality, where he noticed that they had made it to the CMC clubhouse, where they found the three fillies in a heated debate with each other.

"That angel's a monster, Applebloom! You heard what Rainbow and the others said, he almost killed that other pony! Get over your stupid crush and meet the facts!" Scootaloo shouted at her friends, but her words had no effect on the stubborn filly, who stood defiant in front of her.

"If he's such a monster, then why'd he protect us from Erebus?" Applebloom asked in a rage, pressing her forehead right up against Scootaloo's. Sweetie just sighed and shook her head, used to these two bickering. She saw the two boys arrive and ran over to them with a huge smile.

"Hey guys, what's up?" she asked them with a smile.

"Not much, just came to see if you guys were up to anything," Billy said with a forced smile, trying to ignore his thoughts for the time being. "But I can see that you are...detained."

"Just ignore them, they're fighting about the angel that everyponies so excited about," Sweetie said with a sigh, rolling her eyes in annoyance. "Seriously, the only reason this started was because of Applebloom's crush on the angel and that Scootaloo bet he didn't exist."

"Hold on a sec, back up. Applebloom has a CRUSH on the angel?" Billy asked in disbelief, hoping that he had heard wrong.

"Yeah, ever since he saved her. She tries to hide it, but we figured it out fairly quick," Sweetie said with a smile, which turned to a frown as Applebloom and Scootaloo started to wrestle. She sighed loudly and ran over to the two, trying to break them up.

"Wow, everypony seems to like or hate you," Spike said with a smile.

"Why is this happening?" Billy asked, placing his face in his hands.

"Look on the bright side, when the princesses get back, they'll be able to sort this whole thing out," Spike said, trying to comfort his friend. It did help a little, as Billy hoped that the two rulers of all the land would be able to sway the ponies and convince them that he was not a symbol of vengeance or death, but a hero who wanted to help. Hopefully they'd return soon from whatever it was that they were doing. He looked up to the darkening sky, smiling at the thought of a better tomorrow than today.