• Published 29th Apr 2013
  • 16,516 Views, 661 Comments

In a Flash of Lightning - Onomonopia



A hero comes to Equestria to re-capture a villian, but the world is not what he expected.

  • ...
33
 661
 16,516

Call Down the Thunder

Spike had seen a lot of interesting and weird things in his short time, ranging from a bunch of parasprites attacking the town to a full on battle for Canterlot between Celestia and Chrysalis. But what happened when Billy called out that weird of his startled not only Spike but also Erebus. A blast of magical lightning descended from the sky straight onto the pile of dark ponies, blasting them straight back into the oblivion that they came from. The impact of the lightning bolt not only vaporized the dark ponies, but also created a cloud of smoke that hung over where Billy was supposed to be. Both of their eyes were on the smoking crater as a creature much taller than Billy stood up, electricity crackling all over its body. It took a step forward out of the smoke revealing itself to the pair.

"No way," Spike whispered to himself as he took in the full image of the 'creature'. "Billy...you're the angel?" Sure enough, there was the lightning bolt on its chest; there was the white cape and the red outfit. But most of all, it literally radiated power. The creature, a.k.a Captain Marvel, turned towards his friend and gave him a thumbs up, before turning back to Erebus with a stern look on his face.

"I tried to be nice, tried to give you the easy way out. But no, you wanted to be stubborn, you wanted to fight," Captain Marvel said, shaking his head in disappointment. "So now we do it your way. Now...we fight." Captain Marvel slammed one foot into the ground and used the impact to hurl himself at Erebus, shattering the ground from the sheer velocity and power. Erebus barely had enough time to slip into the shadows as Captain Marvel blasted through the darkness where he had previously been standing, coming to a stop when he realized that he had missed.

"Come on out Erebus! You can't hide from me forever!" Marvel yelled out, looking around for his foe. Erebus materialized on top of one of the buildings, trying to collect his thoughts.

"What is he? Nopony can move with that kind of speed. And how did he survive my shadow dancers or the lightning bolt for that matter?" Erebus said aloud, not sure what to do. "Argh, Sombra said that this would be an easy job, put the ponies to sleep then destroy the Elements of Harmony. He never mentioned that there'd be a power house like this. I'd better test him." Erebus jumped down from off his perch right in front of Captain Marvel, holding up a hoof when Marvel went to attack.

"Now now, let's not be so hasty, I just wanted to ask you something," Erebus began, watching closely incase Marvel tried anything. "I am the only one who can return the ponies to normal, so maybe we can strike some kind of deal."

"What kind of deal," Marvel asked, slightly lowering his arms.

"The deal where I win...and you die!" he roared, throwing open his cloak and letting loose the most terrible of pony nightmares. Giant spiders, multiheaded snakes, a bee the size of a small house; all these and more were unleashed from Erebus.

"Didn't I tell you?" He began with a smile, watching as the creatures began to circle Captain Marvel, "that I can also bring the nightmares of my victims to life if I so choose. Defeating you will be a simple task for my pets." To his and Spike's surprise, Captain Marvel laughed out loud at what Erebus said.

"Ha, if you think these pets of yours are a match for me, then you must be dreaming...that sounded so much cooler in my head," Marvel muttered to himself right as the massive bee lunged towards him. His eyes that could see things at light speed watched as the massive stinger came towards him, his brain that could calculate the most advanced problems determining the time until impact. He waited until the last second before he moved to the side and grabbed the massive stinger, using power that would make even Hercules gasp to toss the bee across the town.

"Well then," Captain Marvel said with a smile as the creature came crashing down behind him. "Anything else that you want to throw at me?" The bee got back up and let loose an angry buzz, flying back at Captain Marvel while the rest of the nightmares began to attack. Marvel grabbed the bee again and swung it into the others, the force of the impact blasted the nightmares into shadows.

"Okay, I meant anything else that wasn't weak and pathetic," he taunted, waiting for Erebus to make a move.

"Most impressive, I did not know that a creature could be so strong," Erebus said, clapping his hooves in mock admiration. "You show great promise for one so young. Unfortunately, you will not live long enough to make that promise become a reality." Erebus was now bringing out some of the more dangerous creature. A five head hydra with glowing red eyes and acid dripping from its maw was the first to emerge from the shadows.

"Is this a match for you?" Erebus mocked in return, pointing to the hydra. "What's that, it's not? Then how about we add a little more!" He shot a beam of darkness into the ground, where a massive stone hand reached out and pulled a massive stone colossi pulled itself out of the ground. It swung its massive club and started to advance towards Captain Marvel along with the hydra, both glaring at him with rage. Captain Marvel took to the skies as the stone club came down on where he had been just a second ago, dodging the attack and trying to get behind it. He watched as the behemoth turned to face him, nearly stepping on a sleeping pony in the process.

'That's not good; there are too many civilians for me to fight at my full power. I'm going to have to be careful about how I do this.' Captain Marvel dodged another swing of the colossi's club and some of the hydra's acid, trying to lead them out of the town and keep the ponies safe. The hydra almost stepped on a small filly, forcing Captain Marvel to fly underneath and grab the hydra's foot and keep it from crushing the child. Using his incredible strength and will, Captain Marvel pushed up on the foot and lifted the creature far over the town where he began to spin, building up more and more energy with each rotation. He released the hydra's foot and watched as it sailed off into a field.

"Billy, HELP!" Captain Marvel looked down to find that Erebus had grabbed Spike and was sucking the nightmares from his mind, hurting the little dragon at the same time. Marvel charged at Erebus, but was caught in the face by the colossi's club, knocking him clear out of Ponyville. After tumbling for few seconds, he managed to regain his balance and flew back to Ponyville, trying to get back to his friend. The colossi got in his way again, making it Captain Marvel’s biggest concern and he prepared for a fight. The monster swung its club towards him again, but Marvel didn't even try to dodge. He reached up with both hands and caught the club, the force of the impact driving him down to the ground and shattering the ground where he landed. Erebus had finished drinking in Spike's nightmares and had tossed him aside, watching as Captain Marvel struggled to keep the club from crushing the town.

"I must say that it is impressive that you can even lift this," Erebus remarked, ignoring the glares Captain Marvel flashed at him and walked over at the colossi. "While he's occupied, crush some of the houses. The more despair and destruction means more nightmares." The colossi nodded and lifted its other arm, poised to bring it down on one of the houses. Captain Marvel only had a few seconds to react before someone got hurt, so in order to defeat this creature, he needed to call down the thunder.

"SHAZAM!"

The magic written into that word called down a bolt of lightning so fierce that it sliced through the dark clouds that covered the town, destroying a small portion of Erebus's magic. The lightning headed for where Captain Marvel had been standing only a moment ago, which was right under the colossi. The creature was blasted into ash as the magic lightning coursed through it, its howls of pain echoing across the land. Spike slowly got back to his feet just in time to watch the colossi vanish in a bolt of lightning. Captain Marvel stood up and turned to face Erebus, who looked at Marvel in shock.

"Lightning of Zeus," Marvel said him with a smile. "So, got anything else?"

"Actually, yes. For you see, when I was eating the nightmares of your friend over there, I found that he had a particular interesting fear. One that I believe not even you can beat." Summoning all the power that he held within his body, Erebus shot a bolt of darkness into the sky. The clouds began to swirl as the dark energy summoned the most evil and powerful of nightmares: a giant, angry Twilight. The Twilight towered over the town, twice as tall as any of the buildings, Made entirely of shadows, she was quite a terrifying sight.

"She's your worst fear?" Marvel yelled at Spike in disbelief. "Dude, that's pretty pathetic."

"You haven't seen her when she's mad!" Spike yelled back, afraid to even look at the behemoth. The dark Twilight let loose an earth shattering roar, forcing both Spike and Captain Marvel to cover their ears. She rose up one massive hoof and brought it down on top of the Captain. He flew out of the way (after making sure there were no ponies in danger) and delivered a massive right hook to Twilight's jaw. The behemoth staggered and took a few steps back, crushing a few buildings. She let loose another roar and started to charge magic into her horn, the power she was charging shook the ground. Twilight took careful aim at Captain Marvel and prepared to fire.

"Oh no you don't!" Marvel cried, flying right up to Twilight's face and punched her in the jaw, re-aiming her head straight up just as she fired. A blast of purple energy launched into the sky, piercing the clouds and creating a massive purple hued explosion. Marvel the flew up underneath of the dark alicorn and delivered a bone-breaking punch to the abdomen, nearly knocking her over. He followed up with a spinning kick to the head, catching the alicorn before she could hit the ground and crush any ponies.

'Alright, I can't go all out as long as I have to protect the ponies while having to fight,' he thought to himself. Noticing that the giant Twilight had wings, an idea came to him. He flew up to her and punched her in the face again. "Catch me if you can!" he taunted with a laugh, launching himself above Ponyville. Just as he had predicted, the giant opened her wings and with two massive wing beats, took off after him. He kept climbing until he was well within the clouds, waiting there patently with his arms crossed until the dark Twilight showed her head.

"So, you finally showed up. It's not nice to keep someone waiting," he said with a smile. Twilight responded with a barrage of magical blasts, all fired with the intent to destroy. Marvel smiled and flew towards the oncoming blasts, cracking his knuckles and starting to punch the blasts out of the air with his fists. The magical energies barely bothered him as he was protected against some of the strongest magic’s know to any race. Captain Marvel flew straight into Twilight's gut, knocking the wind out of the dark horse. He flew behind her and grabbed onto her tail, swinging her over his head a few times before tossing her even higher. With a burst of speed, he flew right above her with both fists clenched over his head.

"This is your captain speaking," he began, watching as she got closer and closer. "I'd like to thank you for flying air MARVEL!" He swung both fists into the dark Twilight, launching her straight at the fields outside of Ponyville. She burst through the cloud cover and slammed into the ground with incredible speed, shaking the entirety of Equestria. Twilight twitched once and then dissolved back into shadows, leaving only a smoking crater where she once lay.

"We hope to see you again," Marvel said with a chuckle, turning towards Ponyville and soaring off to the town. He flew through the clouds and landed in front of Erebus, who was still dumbstruck at what he had just seen.

"I assume you're all out of nightmares?" Captain Marvel asked.

"I'm not finished yet!" Erebus snarled, a number of shadow claws forming over his body and he took up a fighting stance.

"You villains just never learn, do you?" Marvel asked with a sigh, cracking his knuckles. "You can't beat me; your strongest creatures barely got me to break a sweat. What do you assume that you can do to me?" Marvel really shouldn't have asked that question.

"Oh, I may not be able to fight you head on. But I might be able to win with a little...help," he said in a wicked tone, hitting his hoof on the ground. A greyish pulse was sent out from the impact, sweeping over the ponies of the town. Marvel watched as their eyes began to open and they started to get up, looking around in confusion.

"W-what happened?"

"Why did we fall asleep?" Then the ponies looked over at the two of them.

"W-what is that thing?" one of them asked, pointing at Captain Marvel.

"Forget him. That black pony is the pony of nightmares. Erebus!" All ponies that had woken stopped and stared at Erebus, fear filling up their eyes.

"And cue panic in three, two, one-"

"AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!" The ponies of Ponyville began to panic, just as Erebus had predicted. While they were all awake and able to get out of the way, this was un-organized panic, meaning multiple ponies ran in front of the two combatants.

"Tell me, child, can you fight me while trying to protect these ponies at the same time?" Erebus asked, shooting his shadow claws at Marvel as well as some of the civilians. Marvel tore through the attack launch at him and threw himself in front of the other attacks, the chains wrapping around his body and restricting his movements. Erebus chuckled and swung the chains, and Marvel, into the side of one of the buildings, collapsing the wall. Marvel grabbed the chains and with a bit of an effort, snapped them into pieces.

"Trying to bring others into the crossfire? That's just low." Marvel flew back out through the hole his body had created and slammed into Erebus, driving the both of them through another building. Marvel grabbed Erebus neck with one hand and slugged him across the face with the other. Two punches to the face was all Marvel could manage to land, as Erebus turned himself into a shadow and vanished through the floor.

"Where'd you go?" Marvel yelled, looking around for Erebus. His answer came in the form of two chains wrapping around his throat, dragging him through the hole in the wall. He left his feet as Erebus tossed him again, this time straight through the Sugarcube Corners building. Captain Marvel landed on one of the cakes he had been enjoying earlier, covering him in cake.

"I was going to finish that cake later! Okay, now you're in trouble!" The two collided again in the center of the town, Erebus trying to hit Marvel with a combo of chains and darkness, whereas the Captain just kept trying to pummel Erebus into the dirt. He brought his knee into Erebus's stomach, doubling the dark pony over. Erebus retaliated by firing darkness into Marvel's face, temporarily blinding him and leaving him open for the chains to smash into his face. The impact flung the Captain out of the building and into the street, Erebus following him outside. The ponies that had originally been fleeing had stopped and were actually watching the battle, waiting to see who would emerge victorious.

"You are surprisingly tough. Nopony had resisted my shadow chains for more than a few hits," Erebus said with some praise.

"And you're plain annoying. Why can't you just give up already?" Marvel asked in return. Erebus snarled and went to attack, but a loud voice interrupted the two of them.

"THAT IS ENOUGH!" Both of the fighters turned their heads to watch as the real Twilight descended in front of the two of them, rage flashing in her eyes. She let loose a torrent of magic in front of the two, cutting them off from each other.

"I don't know who either of you are, but if you don't stop destroying my town and surrender, I will be forced to-" Twilight's words were cut off mid-sentence as a chain wrapped around her throat as Erebus dragged her in front of him, using her as a pony shield. She tried to use her magic, but the shadows wrapped around her and cut off her magic, sucking it into Erebus.

"Why thank you princess, my magic reserves were running low," Erebus said with a snicker, watching as Twilight struggled to escape. "And what better way to restore ones magic than to absorb power from an alicorn."

"Let her go, Erebus," Marvel demanded, looking from Twilight to Erebus in worry.

"As you wish." Erebus spun Twilight once and tossed her into the air, firing a bolt of shadows at her. In the blink of an eye, Captain Marvel moved from where he had been standing to in front of Twilight. The shadows slammed into his chest, but the blast barely fazed him as he caught Twilight in his arms.

"Are you alright?" he asked her.

"I don't believe it," she whispered, eyeing him in disbelief. "You're the angel that Applebloom was talking about. I have a few questions for-" Another volley of shadows flew by the two, forcing the Captain to take evasive maneuvers.

"Can you fly?" Twilight flapped her wings weakly, but managed to get airborne. "I need you to get the rest of the ponies out of here. I'll handle Erebus." Before Twilight could argue, Captain Marvel took off towards Erebus again, dodging his chains and trying to crack his skull. Erebus once again vanished into the shadows, forcing Captain Marvel to look around for him again. Erebus started using the hit and run maneuver, shooting Marvel in the back while vanishing the moment before he was caught. While he did this, Marvel was working on a way to counter the vanishing. He dodged the shots that were being fired at him and watched where Erebus popped out to fire at him, noticing that he always tried to hit from behind.

"Gotcha!" Captain Marvel yelled, spinning around and catching Erebus just as he appeared from the shadows, ramming into him and driving the two of them into a wall. Erebus spat out blood as Captain Marvel drove his fist into his sternum, shattering most of his ribs. Marvel then grabbed the front of Erebus's cloak and swung him into the ground, lifting him again and repeating the slam, furthering damaging his ribs. He lifted Erebus to his face so he could look him in the eyes.

"Why are you so strong? What are you?" Erebus coughed out, trying to move his fore arms and his chains.

"What am I? I'm your something you know a lot about," Marvel said with a chuckle. "I'm your worst nightmare." Marvel lifted Erebus over his head and tossed him into the air. While Erebus flailed in the air, Captain Marvel planted both feet into the ground and tossed his head back with a smile.

"SHAZAM!"

Called upon once again, another massive bolt of lightning descended from the sky and struck Erebus, not just striking him but nearly pierced through his body. The crowd of ponies screamed like Erebus screamed as the magical lightning nearly tore him apart, driving his electrified body back down into the ground. Marvel walked over to the smoking pony and stood triumphantly over him, while Erebus was struggling to breathe and flinched every time he did so.

"That's all folks," Marvel said with a smile, inwardly hitting himself for saying another lame line. The ponies that hadn't fled all started to gather around the smoldering villain with pained expressions, with even Twilight landing besides the dark pony and flinching at his injuries. But much to the surprise of the ponies and Captain Marvel, the dark horse began to laugh.

"You...think this is over?" he asked with a forced chuckle, spitting out some blood while he laughed. "I am but the first of many...the many that will take over this world. While you were able to defeat me, you will find no such fortune against the others. So enjoy your petty victory, for it will not last. I...will...return." Erebus closed his eyes as the last word escaped his lips, the darkness wrapping around him one last time as he vanished into the shadows. The ponies all stared in silence at the spot where the pony had vanished, with Captain Marvel breaking the silence.

"Why do they always last long enough to give one last 'you haven't seen the last of me' speech and then vanish? These villains are all boring," Marvel said with a small chuckle, looking over at the ponies he had saved. But much to his surprise, none of the ponies laughed at his remark, instead only gaining him stares. Twilight marched right up to him and glared into his eyes.

"How can you say that so...coldly? He might have been a villain, but he was still a pony! And all you can do is say is how boring he is and laugh? You almost killed him!" Marvel looked around as the most the ponies looked at him with a number mixed feelings, not sure what to make of him. Some looked at him in disgust and shook their heads at him. Others smiled and nodded, happy of the way he had dealt with the menace. Spike had finally shown up after Marvel had told him to hide, along with the CMC, led by a very shocked Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle.

"I don't believe it," Scootaloo whispered, looking over to the smiling Applebloom. "You were right about the angel." Applebloom's smile widened as her friends each put a bit into her hoof. The group of four ran over to where Twilight was glaring at Marvel, but a Twilight held out a hoof to stop them.

"He was trying to hurt these ponies. I did what I had to stop him," Captain Marvel responded with a shrug, gaining further rage from Twilight.

"That was very noble of you, but your battle destroyed half the town! You should've waited for the Elements of Harmony to arrive and-"

"And what, stop him yourselves? Last time I checked, all the ponies were put to sleep by this guy. I was the only one who could stop him."

"That doesn't matter! Just because you have amazing power doesn't mean that-"

"Doesn't mean what?" Marvel asked, taking a step forward and cutting her off. "I shouldn't have helped and left the ponies to fend for themselves? Sorry, but I will always help those who need it, no matter who approves or disapproves. Farewell." Captain Marvel took to the skies, with Twilight trying to follow him. He smiled as he watched her get closer, tossing up a rock he had picked up just in case this happened.

"Shazam."

The bolt of lightning struck the stone and created a blinding flash, forcing the ponies to cover their eyes. When they could finally see again, Captain Marvel was gone.

{<>}

While looking for Captain Marvel, Twilight found Billy at the CMC clubhouse, hiding under one of the tables inside. After a few minutes of talk, she finally managed to convince him to come out.

"What were you doing in here?" Twilight asked him as he crawled out.

"I'm not sure. All I remember was that dark cloud over head and everyone falling asleep," Billy lied, hoping Twilight wouldn't catch on. "There was a massive battle going on in the town, so I ran out here to hide." Twilight looked into his eyes for a minute, not sure whether to believe him or not. Eventually, she sighed and gave up; mostly convinced that he was telling the truth.

"Alright, but I want you to come with me back to the tree house," she told him, already activating her teleport. "I have a few questions I want to ask you." Before Billy could even respond, a blinding flash covered the both of them as Twilight activated her teleportation field. When the light died down, Billy found himself back in the library, with Spike pacing around nervously.

"Twilight! Billy! You're both okay," he said with a sigh, sitting down on the floor. Twilight walked over to her table and pulled out his chair, motioning for him to sit down. As soon as he did so, Twilight sat down across from him and looked back into his eyes, trying to decide what to say next.

"That was quite the battle down in Ponyville," she said, watching for any sign of emotion. Fortunately for Bill, Batman had spent days teaching him how to handle being interrogated without so much as batting an eye. So all Twilight saw when she looked into his face was a confused look.

"How would I know? I was hiding, remember?" Billy asked, her careful to keep his tone to sound like he was confused by her question. She frowned at his answer, not what she wanted to hear.

"Hiding, right...Billy, what do you know about this angel that Applebloom kept talking about? And don't tell me you've never heard of it, because it only showed up after you appeared. Don't think that I wouldn't see the connection." Billy was in a bad spot, Twilight was way smarter than he could've predicted. He would have to tell her the truth, but not all of it.

"In my world, there are a lot of heroes and villains, it's possible that he followed me here," Billy muttered, feeling Twilight's eyes staring straight through him.

"Billy, that's a lie. You know it and I know it. Didn't your parents raise you better?" Spike flinched when Twilight said this, watching as Billy sunk his head onto his knees and wrapped his arms around them.

"My parents died when I was a baby," he whispered. Twilight's entire demeanor changed as the sheer pain in his voice completely engulfed her.

"I-I'm sorry, Billy, I had no idea," she stammered, all thoughts of Captain Marvel quickly forgotten, Billy shrugged, but he didn't lift his head from his knees. Twilight stood up and wrapped her wing around his shoulder. "I apologize for saying that, I shouldn't have tried to place the blame on you. Come on, you can stay here for tonight." Indeed, it had grown dark out, too dark for a child to wander the streets on his own. Twilight escorted both him and Spike upstairs, where she offered Billy her bed for the night.

"Alright you two, I have to go talk to the mayor and the other Elements, you be good now," Twilight said, giving Spike a look.

"Geez, burn one book and they never let it go," Spike grumbled, rolling his eyes. Twilight waved goodbye to him and then waved gently to Billy, an awkward smile on her face. He waved back and Twilight left, closing the door behind her. Once she was gone, Billy jumped onto the bed and made himself comfortable. Spike lied down in his bed, looking at Billy with a smile.

"I've never seen anypony pull the wool over Twilight's eyes so easily. That was some impressive lying." Billy didn't respond he just continued to stare at the ceiling. "Uh, Billy, what's wrong?"

"I almost killed him," Billy said in a whisper. Spike blinked once and sat up.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean I almost killed that pony, when I summoned the lightning," Billy said with a growl, grabbing his face with both hands.

"Well, you didn't do you? Besides, he was a villain, he didn't deserve any mercy," Spike said with certainty. Billy rolled over on the bed so he could look at him.

"That's not the point. I should be better than that; I shouldn't have to kill my enemies to stop them. That's what it means to be a hero." Spike wasn't sure what to say. To him, Erebus should've gotten the lightning bolt and worse for attacking his town. But Billy seemed certain that he should be allowed to live. It confused him.

"Well, you're the guy with the powers, you did what you feel is right," Spike said with a yawn, rolling over in his bed and closing his eyes. "I still think it was cool how you transformed and beat him." Billy stared out the window at the rising moon, hating himself on the inside. He had the powers of a god, multiple gods in fact, yet ponies had nearly been killed in his battle, including his adversary. He should be better than that, able to stop the villain without anyone, including the villain, losing their lives. But today, he had almost broken that golden rule. What would Superman say if he found out? Billy rolled over and closed his eyes. Spike was already asleep and snoring, leaving Billy to replay the battle over and over in his head.

{D}

Elsewhere, a small pony town was just settling down for the night when the peaceful silence was shattered by an earsplitting scream. Ponies rushed out of their homes to find a monstrosity standing in the middle of their village, a corpse clutched in its hands. The towns ponies began to flee as the guards stationed there tried to defend them against this beast, but they were horribly outclassed. The grey beast let loose a scream that shattered glass and charged the guards, tackling into them and crushing one’s head beneath it's foot. It swung it's massive spike covered arm into another guard, tearing him in half. The final guard launched a beam of magic into the beast’s chest, only to watch in fear as it walked right through the beam, seemingly smiling at the pony’s attempt. The guard said one last prayer as the monster lifted its arm over its head, brining it down on the guard with a sickening crunch. With the guards dealt with, the monster looked around at all the screaming life forms running in every direction, adults and children alike trying to escape it's wrath.

Not one of them did.