• Published 29th Apr 2013
  • 16,515 Views, 661 Comments

In a Flash of Lightning - Onomonopia



A hero comes to Equestria to re-capture a villian, but the world is not what he expected.

  • ...
33
 661
 16,515

Lightning in Her Eyes

Billy opened his eyes and to his amazement, found that he was not in the same place that he had gone to sleep at. He looked around to find that he was completely surrounded by white pillars, with a white stream running through the room that he was now in. He stood up and started to walk around.

"Hello?" he called out, looking around. "Anyone home?"

"Hello Billy." Billy spun around to find a white pony standing behind him, standing nearly as tall as him and covered with a white coat, hiding its face and eyes. He tried to advance towards it, but a magical force held him back.

'I bet you are wondering why you're here,' it said in an emotionless tone. Billy stared at the creature for a while, not sure that he believed that the pony was talking. But he had seen stranger in his life as a hero, so a talking pony wasn't completely weird. But it was sure up there.

"Yeah, where is here anyway?" Billy asked the pony, looking around again.

'This is your dream. I am simply here to speak with you and tell you something.'

"Okay, who are you?" Billy asked, deciding to be blunt. The pony chuckled and shook its head.

'I cannot tell you that, but it is not important at the moment.' Billy didn't like the way she avoided the question, as he had learned from experience and from Batman's constants reminders that a one who avoided questions had something to hide. Next question.

"Alright, what did you want to tell me?" The pony lowered her head and let out a sigh.

'There is an evil presences building, but whose presence it is I cannot discern. I had hoped that somepony would be able to help us, but it seems we got a child instead.' Billy laughed out loud at what she said, causing the pony to give him a strange look.

'Why do you laugh?' Billy stopped chuckling and placed both hands on his hips, giving her a huge smile.

"Because you got more than a child, you got one of the greatest heroes known to man." The pony looked at him in disbelief as he cleared his throat once before tossing his head back and shouting to heavens.

"SH-"

WHACK!

{\/}

Billy shook his head once and slowly opened his eyes a bit, feeling the pain in his now pounding head and the side of his face as his blurry eyes started to look around the tree house. Light was pouring in through the windows, telling him that it was now morning. While he would've liked to look around the room a little more, what was standing in front of him was his biggest priority. He wasn't sure if he still had a head injury or if he was still dreaming, but it seemed to him that three very odd colored ponies were standing in front of him and were talking to themselves. Could ponies talk? The one in his dream had, but he had assumed that it was just an odd dream. From what he could see through his lashes, the yellow one had just hit him and the others were yelling at it. He cracked his eyes open a little more, watching the three ponies argue amongst themselves.

"Applebloom, why'd you hit it?" the orange one asked the yellow one, who had just slapped Billy across the face.

"Because it's sleeping in our tree house! OUR tree house, the one we built together for us and our crusading! Why wouldn't I hit it?" Applebloom yelled in defiance.

"Maybe because it's hurt!" the white one said, pointing to his head. "It probably got hurt and came to our tree house as a place of shelter!"

"Really? And just why would it come here?" Applebloom asked in mock interest.

"Maybe because I was dragged here and woke up to find some psycho pony was punching me in the face." All three of the ponies screamed and jumped away from Billy, who lifted his head up and opened both his eyes, a smile on his face. The yellow one brought her hoof back and delivered a solid hit on his jaw, knocking him flat. She then proceeded to jump on his back and beat him up.

"Owowowowow, stop it!" Billy yelled, trying to shield his face from the pony's onslaught.

"Ah'll teach ya to sneak into mah tree house and call me a psycho!" she yelled in return, trying to hit him in the head. The other two grabbed her fore legs and dragged her off of Billy.

"Applebloom calm down!" the white one yelled, trying to keep her friend from breaking free of their grip.

"Yeah, didn't you hear it? It said it was dragged here! It didn't come here on purpose so please calm down!" After a few minutes of struggling and more arguing, Applebloom had calmed to the point where she wasn't trying to attack Billy, but he still had the other two stand in front of her just to be safe.

"Who...what are you?" the orange one asked once the situation had calmed down. Billy came out from under one of the tables where he had taken cover and stood up, wobbling slightly.

"Name's Billy Batson," he said with a smile. "Which, according to a dragon, is a stupid name." Then he looked a little closer at the two and found to his amazement that they weren't just regular ponies.

"Holy moly! You're a pegasus! And you're a unicorn!" he yelled in total disbelief, pointing at the two in disbelief and excitement. The two ponies looked at each other in concern before giving him a dumbfounded look.

"Uh, yeah, what else would we be?" the orange asked in confusion. "I'm Scootaloo by the way."

"And I'm Sweetie Belle!" the other one exclaimed, pushing past her friend and running straight up to Billy. "I've never seen something like you before. What are you?"

"I'm a human," Billy replied with a smile. "Where I come from there are billions of us. Sorry about my reaction to you guys, I've just never seen a talking unicorn or a pegasus before. That is so cool!"

"Well there are a lot of us around here," Scootaloo said with a smile. "Wait a second, you said a dragon said your name was stupid. Was his name Spike?"

"That was it. Last night Spike found me passed out in the forest and brought me here, saying that he'd inform the owners of the place in the morning. Judging from the way you reacted," he said with a smile, looking at their faces, "he didn't, did he?" Both the ponies smiled and shook their heads.

"Spike's probably still asleep right now," Sweetie Belles said with a smile, rolling her eyes. “He spends most mornings sleeping in."

"And how do YOU know that, Sweetie Belle? Been watching him, have you?" Scootaloo asked with a grin, poking Sweetie in the ribs. Sweetie's face turned bright red and she tried to push Scootaloo over. Applebloom pushed past the both of them and glared into Billy's eyes, causing him to back up slightly.

"How do we know yer telling the truth? Ya could've just made up the fact that ya met a-" The door to the tree house slammed open to reveal a panting Spike, who took one look at the scene and guessed what had happened.

"Let me guess, they found you before I could talk to them?" he asked Billy, who nodded in response. Applebloom marched over to Spike and gave him the same glare that she had been giving Billy, Spike shrinking under her gaze.

"What were ya thinking, letting a stranger into our tree house without asking? How'd you like it if ah dumped a group of chickens over at the library without telling ya?" Billy failed to see what Applebloom's problem was, as it didn't seem like that big a deal to him. Gathering as much courage as he could, he stepped in between the enraged pony and the cowering dragon.

"Look, he brought me here because it was the closest place for me to rest. I was pretty banged up and he tried to help me out. Can't you just let it go?" he pleaded, hoping that she would see things logically. She didn't.

"No. Now get out of here before ah get mah brother down here," she said threateningly with a glare, hoping to intimidate the human.

"Why are you being so stubborn?" he asked her in disbelief, completely ignoring the glare.

"Why are you in my tree house and bleeding on our stuff?"

"Why are you being such a jerk? Do I need to speak with your parents?" Billy went too far with that one. Applebloom's face turned into a look of pure rage and she slammed her fore hoof into his shin. He yelled and fell over, bringing his hands to his face to protect him from the oncoming attack. Before Applebloom could get another hit in, Spike and Scootaloo grabbed her hooves and dragged her back.

"Applebloom, enough! Apologize now!" Scootaloo yelled, putting herself between her and Billy. Applebloom glared into Scoot's eyes, but Spike and Sweetie walked up beside her to back her up.

"Fine," she said begrudgingly after a minute, backing off for now, "I apologies fer hitting ya and fer yelling at Spike."

"Now you apologize Billy."

"For what?" he asked, getting back to his feet.

"For calling Applebloom a jerk."

"Ferget it, ah don't want his apology," Applebloom cut in, turning her back on the four.

"Well," Scootaloo said with a nervous laugh, "Now that that's over with, how about we get started on our agenda. We had a lot of crusading planned for today and I'd like to get started."

"Crusaders huddle, now," Applebloom said. Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle walked over to her and all three of them wrapped their hooves around each others shoulders, forming a circle and talking amongst themselves.

"What's the matter, Applebloom?" Scootaloo asked a bit annoyed.

"It's Bily. We can't just leave him here, he might destroy our stuff," she whispered, glancing over at him.

"Then why don't we bring him with us?" Sweetie Belle asked. "Ot would allow us to go crusading and keep an eye on him."

"True, but ah don't like the idea of him coming along. Or him fer that matter."

"Well, I think it's a great idea," Sweetie said with a grin, breaking the huddle. "Would you two like to come crusading with us?"

"What's crusading?" Billy asked.

"It's were we going doing a whole bunch of cool things to try and get or cutie marks." Billy looked at Spike hesitantly, but Sweetie Belle put on the uppy dog eyes and the two just couldn't say no. "Great! Glad to have you with us!"

"I hope you like river rafting," Scootaloo said with a grin. Sweetie clapped her hooves happily while Spike pretended to vomit, whereas Billy was more confused if anything.

"Why are you asking me to come again?"

"Ah was thinking the same thing," Applebloom muttered.

"Well, crusading much more fun with friends. And you don't have a cutie mark, do you?" Billy shook his head. "Then that practically makes you an honorary crusader!" Sweetie said with a smile.

"But you barely know me."

"So, that doesn't mean we can't be friends. Besides, it will be a ton of fun!" Billy took a second to consider this. On one hand, there was still his mission and the whole reason that he had been sent here. To find and retrieve Doomsday and bring him back to HQ. On the other hand, he had never gone river rafting before and he had heard it was awesome. The desire for fun won out and besides, Doomsday was still probably trapped in that cryo prison J'onn had talked about. And it wasn't everyday someone could say that they went river rafting with a bunch of talking ponies.

"Sure, I'm in!"

"Great! Just follow us to the river and we'll get you two all set up!" Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle opened the door and ran outside, with Spike following them with a frown on his face, not believing that he had been roped into this. That left Billy alone in the room with Applebloom.

"Look, as for what I said, I'm-"

"Ah said ah don't want yer apology and ah meant it," she said with a scowl.

"Jeez, I'm trying to apologize, why can't you just except it?" he asked in confusion.

"Cause," she replied, walking out of the tree house before he could answer. He shook his head as she left, deciding that she didn't like him and he didn't like her. Why didn't she like him though? Had he said something to offend her? He knew he shouldn't have called her a jerk, but was that really something to get angry over? He shrugged and followed the others outside, wondering slightly what kind of land he had ended up in. When he finally saw it, he didn't know whether to be amazed or to throw up. It was bright, colorful and looked like something a little girl would think up. There were butterfly’s everywhere, the sky was blue and the land was filled with different colors and hues.

"Ugh, I'm starting to miss the Watchtower," he said with a groan before heading off for where the others had gone to. After running through a field and past a town (no one saw him) he met up with the others near a river by the forest. The three ponies and one dragon were by a bunch of canoes floating in the river, gearing up with helmets and life jackets.

"Why am I here again?" Spike grumbled as he was forced into a helmet.

"Because being in a library all day isn't good for you," Sweetie said with a grin. Spike rolled his eyes and finished putting on his jacket as Billy ran up to them, looking at the canoes with a questioning glance.

"Shouldn't we be using actual river rafting boats?" he asked in concern. Taking a closer look at the boats he found to his shock that they looked like they had been built by grade schoolers, one of them already leaking slightly. His confidence did not improve when Scootaloo answered him.

"Well, we couldn't afford to buy river rafting boats, so we had to make our own," she said with some pride, pointing to the two boats. "Mine is called the Rainbow Bolt and the other is Golden Delicious. You can guess who built that one."

"Where's Sweetie Belle's?" Scootaloo looked at her friend nervously, who hid her face in her hooves.

"Hers sunk the moment it hit the water. Boat builder isn't her special talent," Scootaloo said with a chuckle. "So, who wants to go on the Rainbow Bolt?" Sweetie Belle raised her hoof immediately while Spike raised his just a bit. "Great, Sweetie Belle and Spike will be with me, which means Billy will go with...oh," Scootaloo said with a small frown as she realized that she had just doomed Billy to being trapped on a boat with Applebloom.

"Why am ah stuck with him?" Applebloom asked enraged.

"Because your boat can only fit two while mine can fit three?" Scootaloo suggested. Applebloom turned her glare to Spike and Sweetie Belle.

"Alright then, who wants to switch?"

"Actually, I'd rather stay over here where it's safe," Spike said softly. Sweetie Belle hid behind him and nodded. Applebloom glared at the two before sighing in defeat.

"Fine," she growled, tossing one of the paddles to Billy. "Get in."

"Um, I'd rather stay on the bank where it's safe," he said. Applebloom turned around and pointed from him to the boat, showing him that she was not to be argued with. He gave up with a sigh and walked over to the boat, carefully stepping inside and sitting down. Applebloom sat in down in front of him, not even giving him a glance. Scootaloo and the others climbed into her boat and kicked off, letting the ship float down the river. Applebloom did the same and soon the two of them were a float.

"Um, if you hate me so much, why did you force me along?" Billy asked in confusion.

"Because getting mah cutie mark means everything to me and ah'll get it no matter what. Even if that means putting up with you." She placed her paddle in the water and began to paddle, following Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle who were already halfway down the river. Billy had to paddle twice as fast to keep up with Applebloom, looking around as he did so. The world actually looked a lot nicer from some of the ones he had seen and he didn't smell any pollution either.

"I like your home. It's a lot nicer than mine," he said, trying to be friendly.

"Ah'm not surprised," she responded, shooting his attempt to be polite straight down. Billy sighed, giving up on trying to make small talk and decided to look around some more. The land was bright and full of life, with pure blue skies and crystal clear water. Also, he felt the underlining energy of some very powerful magic here, something that worried him.

"Hey, do you have any magic users here?" Applebloom turned to face him with a look on her face.

"Of course we have magic user. Every unicorn here can use magic to a degree," she explained, paddling as they went. "Alicorns are the most powerful, followed closely by mages and wizards. Then ya have the everypony unicorn, those who only use magic that their talented at. Everypony knows that."

"So only unicorns can use magic?"

"Eeyup. We've got three types of ponies: Earth, unicorn and pegasi. The pegasi move the clouds, the unicorns use the magic and Earth ponies work the land."

"Wow, seems like the Earth ponies got the short end of the stick, huh?"

"Ah suppose ya could say that," she mumbled.

"Wait, why are you answering my questions if you hate me so much?" Billy asked her in some confusion.

"Because ah have a test on history tomorrow and ah need to practice," she said. Billy knew she was lying, but instead of calling her out on it, he looked ahead to find a fork in the river.

The river had two paths ahead, one that went to the left and one to the right. The river currents here became faster and more dangerous, making it hard to keep the boat straight. While Scootaloo’s group managed to make it to left, where they were supposed to be going, Applebloom and Billy were forced to the right. The river path that they went down led them into a forest that, to Billy, didn't feel right. The trees seemed to be alive and the darkness surrounded them, quickly blocking out the sun.

"I think you made a wrong turn," he said. She huffed at him and started to look around.

"Ah don't know this part of the forest to well. It doesn't look like anyplace ah've been," she muttered to herself. Billy looked over her shoulder and his eyes widened at what he saw.

"Falls," he whispered.

"What?" she asked. Billy pointed over her shoulder and she turned to face a massive waterfall. It was a straight drop down into spikey rocks. Applebloom’s face fell and the two of them started at the drop for a second, both of them trying to take it in.

"AAAAAHHHHHHHH!" They both screamed at the same time, both turning around and paddling like crazy in the opposite direction. It was to no avail, as the water current had them and was pulling them closer to the falls. Billy looked behind the them and noticed something else.

"DUCK!" he yelled. Instead of ducking, Applebloom turned around and went face first into a low hanging branch, the blow practically knocking her out. Without her to help paddle, the boat headed towards the falls even faster. Billy watched with wide eyes as he and Applebloom reached the edge.

"Oh no," was all he could say before the both of them went over the falls. Time slowed down as Billy watched the boat fell straight down the side of the falls. While Billy gripped the side of the boat, Applebloom was still unconscious and fell out of the boat. She had been mean, she had hit him and above all, he didn't like her. But she needed help and Billy Batson always helped those in trouble. And while he didn't want to reveal his powers just yet, it was time for a hero. So as Billy dove out of the boat after her, he smiled to himself.

"SHAZAM!"

KKKKAAAABBBOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!

As soon as the words left his lips, a bolt of magical lightning descended from on high and struck the young child, transforming him. His body grew to that of an adult, power flooded through his veins and most importantly, he was now the hero known as Captain Marvel. Electricity crackled all over his body as a red suit with a golden lighting bolt formed on his chest, complete with a white cae and golden gauntlets. Faster than a human eye could follow, Captain Marvel flew underneath Applebloom and caught her in his arms. While floating there, he watched as the boat that they had been in fell to the rocks below and was completely splintered.

"Ouch, hate to think what would've happened if we were on that," he said in a much deeper voice, chuckling to himself as he flew down to the banks below. He looked down at Applebloom to see if see was alright, worried about her head. She groaned once and opened her eyes half way. For a brief moment, their eyes met. Captain Marvels looked at her in a bit of a panic, not sure what to do. In her eyes, however, she truly believed that she had just been saved by an angel. She reached up with one hoof, touching his face to see if he was real. Before she could ask any questions though, she passed out again.

"That was weird," Captain Marvel said, shaking his head. Marvel touched down on the banks and gently placed Applebloom on the ground, checking her head. Besides a bruise, she would be perfectly okay. He let out a sigh of relief, glad she was safe.

"Hurry up you two! I saw their boat go this way!" Scootaloo’s voice rang throughout the forest. Captain Marvel looked around quickly, making sure that they weren't able to see him yet. While the ponies may accept Billy Batson, he highly doubted that they would be as kind to Captain Marvel. Time to change back.

"SHAZAM!"

After the lightning struck him and changed him back to plain old Billy, he sat down besides Applebloom and tried to shake her awake.

"Applebloom? Hellooooo, you awake yet?" Billy asked, poking her. Her eyes shot opened and she sat up, startling Billy.

"W-what happened? Where am I?" she asked, looking around in confusion.

"You're at the bottom of the waterfall. It's a miracle you survived," Billy explained. She looked to the top of the waterfall confused, then back down to him.

"You said we fell off a waterfall. Yet neither of us are wet and we're both fine," she said in the most dry tone possible. Billy's heart sank. He hadn't thought that far ahead as to explain how the two of them survived such a far drop or why neither of them were wet. Fortunately, he was saved by the arrival of Scootaloo, Spike and Sweetie Belle.

"Billy! Applebloom! Are you two alright?" Sweetie Asked, rushing up to the two. "We saw you both go over the falls and then..."

"Then there was a giant thunderbolt that shattered the landscape! We didn't know what to think!" Scootaloo cut in.

"What was that thunderbolt anyway?" Spike asked, looking at Billy. Billy wasn't sure what to say. How do you explain to anyone that you can call down a magical lightning bolt that changes you from a ten year old kid into a thirty year old god? Before he could even start, Applebloom cut in.

"An angel." All four of them looked at her in disbelief. She slowly got to her hooves and shakily stood up straight

"An angel?" Scootaloo repeated, sure she had heard wrong. "I'm not sure what you're talking about."

"Ah saw an angel! He flew down and saved me from the fall off the waterfall!" When he saw that none of the others seemed to believe her, she got angry. "Ah'm telling ya'll, it was an angel! He was big and powerful! He could fly and had a huge lightning bolt on its chest!" Billy's heart fell again as he realized that she was talking about him. "A white, flowing cape was on its back and it had a white hood!"

Again, when it looked like the others didn't believe her, she turned to Billy. "You saw it, right? You saw the angel save me?"

"Actually, I didn't see an angel," Billy replied. Technically, he wasn't lying. Captain Marvel wasn't an angel so much as a god. Also, Billy didn't see him because he was him, but he didn't feel like explaining that to the others. Applebloom growled in frustration and gave up trying to convince them.

"Well ah don't care what any of ya think. Ah had an angel come down and save me. Ah've got a handsome guardian angel watching over me," she said to herself with some pride, holding her head high. The other ponies rolled their eyes, but Billy shifted uncomfortably, not liking her sudden affection for Captain Marvel.

"Alright, I say that's enough adventuring for today," Scootaloo said, starting to walk off. "If I remember correctly, the way out is this way. Follow me!" She took off, followed closely by Spike and Sweetie Belle. Billy followed after them, but stopped when he didn't hear Applebloom following theme. He turned to find her still staring at the spot where she had seen the angel, blushing slightly.

"Applebloom, you coming?" he asked. She shook her head and looked over.

"Yeah, be right there!" Billy shrugged and took off, leaving Applebloom by herself. She watched him go, realizing to herself that the angel looked similar to Billy. Did that make it a human as well? She knew it wasn't Billy; he was much too small to be him. He had been huge and strong and carried her gently...

She shook her head again, feeling the blood rush to her face. She turned towards where the others had gone and took off, smiling all the while.

{\/}

KKKKKAAAAABBBBBOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM!!

In the farthest most reaches of Equestria, the thunderbolt created by Billy's shout woke ponies, animals and other creatures awake. But deep in the ground, far below the crater that rested above it, a creature that had been lying dormant was suddenly awoken. It could feel a presence, the presence of a most powerful creature, whose might could even rival its own. The creatures programming kicked in and the urge to destroy, to kill became the only thought in its mind. The earth that buried it only annoyed the creature, increasing its lust for blood. So it began to dig, clawing fist after fist into the dirt above it. After what felt like hours, a massive grey hand burst from the ground, freeing the creature from its prison. The rest of its massive body followed, pulling itself out of the ground. Once it completely emerged, it looked around the area, scanning for life. A small town in the distance caught its eyes and with a target to destroy, it began its walk towards the town. The inhibitors that once held it back were no more and the cryo effects had weaken it greatly, to the point where it could barely remain conscious. But its ungodly power had begun to return the moment it had awaken and so had its one desire: to destroy.

Doomsday had arrived.