• Published 18th Feb 2013
  • 2,529 Views, 78 Comments

Return to Society - Silent Sir 224



A unicorn has completed his training with Princess Celestia in the Everfree Forest. He has been in the forest without any outside contact for two years. Now he must try to fit in with society again with the help of the princess' personal student

  • ...
10
 78
 2,529

An Unconventional Introduction

With his foreleg injury cleaned up, Dusk was curious to see how the world had changed over the two years he had exiled himself in the Everfree Forest. But, his main concern was interacting with the ponies here, carrying a conversation wasn't what worried him. He was literate and spoke properly, Celestia didn't allow his mind to become dull when he was training his body. What he was worried that ponies still had remembered what he did. Also the possibility that they would try to run him out of town before he could explain himself. The tabloids ate up what happened and portrayed him as some senseless beast. But, he hoped at the very least that he could at least get some medical attention before it happened.

His eyes were fixed on the ground, focusing on his train of thought. Unfortunately, said train was instantly derailed with an obstruction in his path. A young mare with a pale yellow coat and long pink mane and tail had run into him and hit his injured leg. Upon regaining his composure, Dusk felt a fresh sting coming from his wound, but ignored it, showing more concern for the one who ran into him.

"I'm so sorry! Are you okay!?" The mare said as she was helped back on her feet. "I'm sorry I was just in a hurry because I promised to meet someone here and I'm late and..." She noticed a blood stain in the fur on her shoulder, then looked at the wound that had transferred from. "Ohmygosh! Oh my gosh! I did that!? No, no, no come with me! We need to take care of that right now!"

Before Dusk could protest, explain or even say anything in general, he found that he was being dragged to a cottage just outside town. Presumably this mare's home, the entire way she kept apologizing and begging for his forgiveness. After a few minutes of her pleads, he couldn't take it anymore.

"Ms. please stop! I was injured before I came here! You didn't hurt me I promise!" Dusk explained, it didn't stop her from dragging him. It just caused her to go quiet as she took him prisoner. He wasn't complaining though, she was pretty cute, despite her less than calm demeanor. Once they got to the door, she all but threw him inside.

Upon entering the cottage dusk noticed two things: One, the home had at least two dozen creatures inside rushing to greet Fluttershy. Two, she was talking to them and, as far as he could tell, they understood what she was saying. "Take a seat on the couch and don't move! I will be right back!" Dusk did as she asked and sat down, placing his pack down next to the couch. The mare vanished behind a doorway and returned almost as quickly as she left with a white box with a red cross on it. She pulled out a brown bottle of liquid and a wrap of gauze and sat next to him. "This might sting a little." She dabbed the liquid on a cloth and rubbed the cloth on the wound. Jolts of pain followed. The pain was minor, compared to the journey he had to walk with the injury. Peroxide? It looks like she knows how to deal with injuries. Looks like I can skip the hospital visit, thankfully. She finished cleaning the wound and began wrapping gauze around his arm.

"There, does that feel alright?" She asked after she finished.

Dusk flexed the foreleg, testing the mobility. "Yes, thank you. You did a much better job than I could have."

The mare blushed a little at the compliment, though she tried to hide it behind her long pink mane. "Now, I need to know, how did it happen? If you want to aanswer I mean."

"It's the least I could do for your help, just promise you will stay calm," she nodded. "I ran into a few timberwolves... things didn't go as well as I would have hoped. And before you ask, the wolves were much worse for wear."

"Timberwolves?! How many!? Where were you!? The Everfree Forest!? Oh my gosh... what were you doing in there!?" She shouted, although, it wasn't particularly loud.

"Please relax miss, I asked you to stay calm."

"S-sorry, it's just the Everfree is really dangerous. What were doing in there?" she asked in a more composed tone.

"I was going from my home there to this town. I was chased for some time before three of them managed to catch up to me. I didn't have any option other than to defend myself. And, as you can see, one of them got a good swipe in on me."

"That's terrible! Wait, did you say you live in the forest? The most dangerous place in all of Equestria, is your home!?"

"Yes... I live there. Or did, anyway." Dusk explained.

"Did? Where are you living now?"

"I have a room at the inn prepared in town."

She pondered for a moment. "Is your name Dusk, by chance?"

Dusk's blood chilled and visibly flinched at her question, a million possibilities flooded his brain as to how she knew that information. Do ponies remember? Oh no, what happens now? I get chased out of town? Mobs with pitchforks and torches? Something out of Marey Shelly? "Y-yes, h-how did you know that?"

"My friend Twilight was assigned to help you here by Princess Celestia, she asked her friends to help make you feel more welcome. That's why I ran into you, I was suppose to look for you in case you came here earlier than we thought." She blushed at the thought of the incident. "I suppose that it's a good thing that you were the one I was looking for. Otherwise, you would have just wandered into town and we would have had to look for you."

He immediately relaxed at the explanation. Thank Celestia, my sins are dead and buried here. Hopefully, it stays that way. "Okay," Dusk gave a sigh of relief. "That's really good to hear."

"What?" The mare tilted her head in confusion.

He was forced to quickly come up with an answer that didn't involve an explanation as to what he had done. And the only other thing on his mind was the pony he was talking to. "Well... I have a very pretty mare here to help me feel more welcome. That's never a bad thing." He inwardly face hoofed at what he just said, even if it was true, it wasn't the right thing to say.

"I suppose... but you think Twilight is pretty?"

"Well, I don't know I have never seen before." I already slipped up once, I might as well accept it. Better to compliment than hurt her feelings.

"Wait, you think I'm... pretty?" She tried to hide her blush behind her mane again.

"Well, yes. Do you think I could get the name of such a pretty mare?" He decided to continue the attempt at smooth talking. It couldn't hurt to compliment her, especially since she was one of the few ponies who were actually willing to help him.

"It's, um, Fluttershy." She trailed off at the end.

"Pardon?" He leaned in closer.

"I'm Fluttershy."

"Flutter..."

"Shy."

"Fluttershy?" She nodded. "Fluttershy, that's a cute name."

Fluttershy's blush increased and she started to smile. "I, um... thank you." And, now I'm interested, she is just too adorable when she smiles like that.

"I'm just speaking the truth," he smiled back at her. "Don't thank me for doing that."

"Oh, I'm sorry." She fully retreated behind her mane.

"Hey, it's okay." He looked out the window and noticed the night approaching. "Did you say that you were waiting for me, for Twilight?"

"Y-yes."

"Well, how upset would she be if I didn't show up at all today?"

Fluttershy covered her mouth with her hooves and gasped. "We probably should get to the library, now!"

Well, if this Twilight Sparkle is anything like the Princess, then one thing is certain. I'm screwed!

Author's Note:

First story, would appreciate feedback but I prefer it to be more constructive and less criticism.