• Published 18th Feb 2013
  • 2,529 Views, 78 Comments

Return to Society - Silent Sir 224



A unicorn has completed his training with Princess Celestia in the Everfree Forest. He has been in the forest without any outside contact for two years. Now he must try to fit in with society again with the help of the princess' personal student

  • ...
10
 78
 2,529

A Lesson in Love

Dusk had been spending his past three days recovering from his head trauma courtesy of Ms. Rainbow Dash, she had already apologized three times and each time he gave her forgiveness. Today I should make it clear, he thought, I hold nothing against her and at that it was an accident and nothing more.

He woke up to a throbbing headache, like the other days he simply swallowed one of his prescribed pills and shook it of by the time he finished breakfast. Having so much free time in his day was something Dusk had to adjust to, he couldn't just sit around and do nothing. Even with his pet, he just opened the balcony door and let him fly out and feed himself before returning. Hummingway did help keep him company when he was bedridden in his home.

So what should I do today? He pondered, I suppose I'll take a stroll around town and see what's new. He nodded in confirmation and set the plan in motion. Dusk walked into the warm embrace of the early morning sun on his balcony and noticed something very different about town, there were heart-shaped decorations that had covered the town.

He saw Rainbow Dash hanging some decorations and called to her. "Excuse me Rainbow Dash," he shouted. "Can you come here for a minute?" She swooped down, showing extra care in her landing, she still felt bad about the incident, even if she was trying her best to hide it.

"Hey Dusk," she replied. "I just wanted to say that I'm really sorry again for what happened, I was careless and I hope you can forgive me,"

"Rainbow," he started. "For the last time, it was an accident so please stop feeling so guilty about it." She was staring at the ground, he lifted her head to look her in the eye, "I forgive you, for the one-thousandth time I forgive you! So will you please stop being so sad, it's starting to make me feel bad." He gave her a reassuring nod before she finally heard exactly what he was saying and smiled at him.

"So now that we finally have that resolved, what exactly is going on with the decor all over town?" He asked.

"Don't you know anything egghead!" She replied, he didn't mind the name egghead, it was reserved for himself and Twilight and complimented their intelligence. "Hearts and Hooves day is tomorrow." Dusk felt his heart sink, back in Canterlot he didn't care about the holiday and found it down right annoying. But this was different, now he had Fluttershy and realized he needed to get something special planned for her, but what?

"Oh Celestia," he proclaimed. "I need to get something planned, do you know anything about what ponies plan for Hearts and Hooves Day?"

"I'm too cool for most stallions to handle," she replied. The narcissism she displayed was nothing short of astounding, "Try Twilight she probably has some books or something." Dusk gave a nod and ran out of the inn and breakneck speed heading straight for the library, time was not his friend right now.

When he reached the library, he calmed himself down and regained his composure before calmly knocking on the door. Spike had answered the door, "Dusk?" He asked, it was clear he had just been woken up too early that morning.

"Oh terribly sorry," Dusk apologized. "I was in such a daze I didn't think you and Twilight might be trying to sleep in."

Spike just rubbed his eyes, "Don't worry about it, I have work to do and sleeping in too much will put me behind, and whenever Twilight sleeps she freaks out as if an Ursa Minor is back in town."

"Wait. an Ursa Minor... What in the world-" Dusk was stopped when Spike began shaking his head.

"You don't want to know," he paused, "So what do you need?"

"I need to talk to Twilight," Dusk replied. "It's kind of important."

Spike simply turned around gesturing Dusk to follow until they reached the stairs. "Now you might want to cover your ears," Spike had warned. He walked up the stairs, Dusk should have heeded the young dragon's warning because a sudden scream filled the chambers of the library.

Back in school, the talk of war brought up the term 'shell shock' and how it came up as the affect a close explosion or equal force had on a soldiers body. That day Dusk finally learned exactly how shell shock affected the body, it threw him into a daze and knocked him of balance.

A minute later, Twilight emerged from her bedroom still combing her mane with her cheeks turning pink. Dusk felt bad for waking her up for such a personal matter, "I'm terribly sorry for waking up I didn't know you wanted to sleep in this morning."

"Oh no I'm glad you came by," she replied. "I can't afford to sleep in on such a busy schedule."

"Oh, if you're too busy I suppose it can wait," Dusk didn't want to impose anymore than he had already.

"No, my schedule is a little relaxed today," she sat in a nearby chair. "What brings you by the library this early in the morning?"

"Well," Dusk began. "Rainbow Dash told me tomorrow is Hearts and Hooves day and I was completely unaware of this and I feel I should set up a really nice date for Fluttershy. But, I haven't the slightest clue where to begin, so I come seeking your advice."

"Carousel Boutique," She replied simply, "that is the place you should go first."

"That makes sense, a nice suit should be the first thing to get."

Twilight stifled her laughter, "No the suit is one of the last things you concern yourself with in planning a date."

Dusk was officially confused, "If the suit is the last thing, why should I go to the Boutique first?"

Twilight answered him with a single word, "Rarity." Dusk gave a sigh, it makes sense that she would be the one I have to rely on for this endeavor.

"Is she up this early in the morning?" He asked, he didn't want to go and wake every pony up early in the morning.

"This close to Hearts and Hooves day, there is no doubt in my mind she is running around her shop filling orders," Twilight smiled. Dusk gave a nod and a bow before heading for the door, "I hope your date goes well, I can't wait to hear about it, from either you or Fluttershy."

Dusk gave a smile as he left the library, I hope she isn't too busy to give me some advice. The town was painted with pink and red hearts and he could say the same about the Carousel Boutique, giving a sigh he knocked on the door. He was immediately greeted by a frazzled Rarity, Twilight wasn't joking when she said Rarity was going to be busy today.

"Oh, hello Dusk," Rarity greeted. "I suppose you are here in need of a nice tuxedo?"

"Good morning Rarity, you are looking beautiful this morning," he greeted, from her body language it was obvious she was overworked. "The tuxedo can wait, I came here seeking advice." Rarity gave him a curious look and gestured him to come inside.

"Thank you for the compliment," she began walking back into her workshop. "But you and I both know I look like a mess. So what exactly are you doing that requires you to seek my advice."

"Well, I had just learned that Hearts and Hooves day is tomorrow and I have yet to plan anything special for Fluttershy. I haven't a clue of how to set up a date, I asked Twilight who immediately recommended I come talk to you."

Rarity's eyes widened, "You haven't planned anything for Hearts and Hooves Day! Have you been living under a rock for the past three days!"

"No," Dusk retorted pointing at the lump that had appeared on his head, "I have been resting this head injury for the past three days. But regardless, I don't even know where to begin."

"Okay, that just barely constitutes as a valid reason," she admitted as she threw him a quill and small notepad. "Now write down the list of things you need to have a successful Hearts and Hooves day. The suit which I will handle personally, knowing you and Fluttershy a crowded restaurant seems too public so you two should have a dinner in some secluded area like Sweet Apple Acres. The dinner itself that you must see a caterer for, flowers and chocolates are a must and the most important thing you must have is your 'gentlecolt' charm and be your usual self."

Dusk had been given quite a list, but raised his head in confusion at the last item on the list, "that's the most important part, to be myself?"

"Yes," Rarity answered. "Most stallions need to act like they can be gentlecolts, but you naturally are one so that won't be an issue in the slightest." Dusk did enjoy being called a gentlecolt, but he had so much to do that he had to get moving if he was going to get everything planned by tomorrow.

"Doesn't AppleJack do catering?" Dusk asked. Rarity nodded yes, "Could I have it arranged at Sweet Apple Acres and have AppleJack handle the catering, leaving you to get me a proper suit?"

"That sounds like a capital idea," she replied, "Fluttershy will love it! I can have your suit to you by the end of today and don't worry about payment, this one's on me."

"There is not a chance I'm letting you do this for free," Dusk protested. "That is just too much for me to ask from you."

Rarity gave a disappointed sigh, "there's that polite charm again, why can't there be more stallions like you that actually know what it means to have class, Prince Blueblood could learn a thing or two from you. But I still owe you a debt for invading your privacy."

Dusk saw no way to convince Rarity that he shouldn't let her give him a suit free of charge. "There is no way for me to talk you out of this there?"

"Not a chance sir," she replied. Knowing full well how much a suit would cut into her profit.

"Well, I thank you one thousand times in advance, all I ask is that you keep it simple, nothing too fancy," he admitted defeat. "Now I must go make the proper arrangements with AppleJack so I will take my leave," he gave a bow and left the boutique. This time he watched the skies upon exiting, no sign of Rainbow Dash anywhere.

Once it was clear, Dusk sprinted to the orchard that AppleJack owned to try to get as much time as he could for preparations. After a few minutes of running, he could see the farmhouse, then he saw AppleJack taking some barrels out of a cellar next to the house and putting them in a stack.

"AppleJack, do you have a minute?" Dusk asked, regaining his breathe.

"Sure I ain't doing anything to important at the moment, what can I do for ya?" she replied.

"I have a very important favor to ask of you," he answered. "I need your catering services for a date with Fluttershy for tomorrow evening."

AppleJack gave him a menacing glare, "Why did ya wait until today to ask? Did you forget?"

"I didn't know Hearts and Hooves Day was coming up until this morning," Dusk answered. "Before you ask, no I haven't spent the last three days living under a rock, I have been nursing my head injury from earlier this week."

"Alright, that's valid enough an excuse," she let it slide. "For a friend I can cater on Hearts and Hooves Day, but you better not do this to her next year or I'll find you."

"I Pinkie promise, so long as I don't suffer another head injury right before," Dusk replied. "Also, if it isn't too much to ask, can we have it on the orchard? It's nice and secluded here and is a perfect place to dine in peace."

"I told you that ya were welcome to use the farm didn't I?" AppleJack answered.

"I really appreciate all of this, you have helped me so much today," Dusk was ready to start kissing her feet. "What time works best for you?"

"A proper date should happen at seven, right before sunset," he nodded in agreement.

"How much will this cost?" Dusk asked, he had to pay for something in this date.

"Not a bit," she answered. "This one's on me."

"No, there is no way I can, let you pay for this out of pocket," Dusk knew where this was going. "I won't be able to convince you to let me pay, will I?"

"Nope."

"I am forever in your debt, now I need to get some flowers and chocolates, good day to you," he had left in a hurry.

The chocolates would be at Sugarcube Corner, and then the flowers would have to be handled. Time was still his enemy as he ran back into town, nearly running past the sweet shop. He ran in to see Pinkie Pie was working there, I really can't pay for any part of this can I?

"Hi Pinkie," he greeted, this was the only friend he didn't really have any experience talking to since their introduction.

"Hi Dusk, it's been forever since I've seen you how have you been?" She replied.

"I've been better, but I'm running low on time, I need a box of Hearts and Hooves Day chocolates," he was feeling anxious.

"Okey dokey lokey, here you go," she handed him the box. "Wait are these for Fluttershy?"

"Yes, but I need to hurry, how much will this cost?" He hated to rush but he couldn't stay and talk he still had things to do.

"This specific box is free," Pinkie answered.

"Seriously, how much?" He was losing patience with this cycle.

"For you and Fluttershy, it's on the house."

"I don't have time to argue so I thank you a thousand times, now I have to run, I'll catch up with you soon." With that he had run out the door looking for the nearest flower shop.

There was one down the road, a pony with an orange mane whom he knew as Carrot Top stood at the counter. "Hi Carrot Top can I get a bouquet for Hearts and Hooves day?"

"Of course," she replied. "May I ask who these are for?"

"They're for Fluttershy," Dusk answered. "So how much will it be?"

"If they're for Fluttershy it's on the house, she's one of my best customers." Dusk dropped his jaw, he really couldn't pay for anything around here.

"I've tried to argue about paying twice today I just give up," he admitted a final defeat. "I thank you a thousand times for this, I will not forget this kindness." He left the shop, there was one thing left to do and that was to ask Fluttershy, the sun had begun to set, and he knew that he needed to hurry.

He could see her cottage and hoped she was home, he knocked on her door and waited a moment. The door opened a crack to reveal one of her sapphire blue eyes, she saw who it was and proceeded to let him in, "Oh, Dusk it's you, what brings to my little old cottage at this hour?"

"I was wondering if you would accompany me to dinner at Sweet Apple Acres for Hearts and Hooves Day," he gave her the bouquet and chocolates as he answered.

"Oh, of course, I was starting to worry you didn't want to do anything special for tomorrow," she admitted.

"I would never dream of doing that to you Fluttershy," Dusk replied. "You are my marefriend, you deserve to be treated as such."

She put the flowers and candy on a nearby table and gave Dusk a hug and a kiss on the cheek, the two stood in each others' hooves for a few moments. At this time, the constant running of that day took it's toll and nearly caused Dusk to collapse in exhaustion.

"Well, I will come by and pick you up at six-thirty tomorrow evening," he announced. "If you don't have any objections, of course." She nodded in agreement. "Well there are still somethings I must do to make sure everything goes smoothly, until tomorrow my dear."

Dusk decided to pick up the suit in the morning and slumped his way back to the inn, the sweet, soft bed calling his name. He finally made it to his room and closed the door behind him, just in time to collapse on his bed and sleep.