• Published 19th Feb 2013
  • 9,058 Views, 800 Comments

The Lion and the Lamb - CrazyChickenLady



After following a baby griffon into a dangerous situation, Fluttershy finds herself rescued by a kind-hearted dragon and ends up befriending him.

  • ...
36
 800
 9,058

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Eighteen: Compliments

Chapter Eighteen: Compliments

A hint of a smile was brought upon Fluttershy’s face. “Really? I mean, I had… somewhat wondered. You being a traveling magician, when you were going to wind up traveling.”

She lowered her eyes. “You know, I… wouldn’t mind seeing a show one day. I’d come to see you.”

“I would like that…” Smokey grinned, another spark of warmth flooding his chest. She really was a wonderful pony. He wouldn’t be surprised if she ended up becoming his best friend. Heck, she was already qualified for the position now that he thought about it. “I also… couldn’t bear to be separated from our little girl. Or, separate her from her mommy.”

The pegasus blinked, eyes widening in realization. “Oh… oh…”

She gazed down at Chenoa, disbelieving at the fact she did not even consider that. The mental image of traveling with him came to mind for a brief split second… but then, who would take care of her animals? And her friends… She simply could not abandon them either. Not for anything or anyone.

Her lips pursed a bit. To suddenly give up traveling… She had never really thought about it at all herself, since she never really traveled all that often--at least, not before she met Twilight Sparkle, at any rate. But to someone who’s done it almost their whole life? That would probably be if she were asked not to take care of animals anymore.

… Perhaps Smokey could do his shows in Ponyville?

“You know…” she spoke up, an idea crossing her mind. “Ponyville has a lot of foals… I think they would be really impressed with stage magic. They also might like the idea of getting to know a dragon like Spike, once they see you mean them no harm. If they could accept Zecora, they could certainly accept you.”

Smokey’s emerald green pools lit up. Foals were usually more accepting than adults. In the past, he managed to catch a few little ones asking their parents if they could ‘meet the dragon’, but always they would be denied out of fear of what he might do to them. Maybe it could happen… Something like that would take a long time, but if he was going to be staying permanently, it was bound to happen eventually, right?

“You… really… believe I’ll be accepted as a fellow citizen?”

“Of course!” Fluttershy nodded, her eyes wide and practically sparkling. “It took Ponyville a little time to acclimate to Zecora… but nowadays you see her mingling in with the crowds and nopony bats an eyelash. And they used to flee in terror, hiding in their homes until she went away. If we can just show everypony that you’re the same way, I’m sure they’ll welcome you with open hooves.”

That was what the scaly beast was hoping to hear--though wasn’t anticipating the zebra to enter the conversation, but she was a prime example of how the residents of Ponyville took to creatures who were different than their own kind.

“I always wanted to be accepted for what I am… I… suppose that is why I became a traveling magician. To travel all over Equestria to find a place where I would belong.”

Fluttershy hadn’t really thought of that. Venturing for a place to call one’s own? She heard such stories.

“Well,” she gave him a warm smile. “… maybe you might have found it.” She closed her eyes. “Give Ponyville a chance. When I’m feeling better, we can see Mayor Mare. I’m sure she’d be willing to at least give you a chance to put on a show in the town square.”

She would really do that for him? That had just further cemented the dragon’s admiration--and affection--for the pegasus. Leaning in, Smokey brushed his snout over her cheek to nuzzle her. A light purr vibrated in his throat to convey his appreciation.

“Thank you. You truly are a perfect angel…” he whispered to her and resumed nuzzling her with another purr.

The feathered pony giggled, nuzzling him back. Blushing lightly, she brought a hoof up to rest against his cheek and draw him into a hug.

“I…” She felt a strong warmth and happiness swell within her at the compliment. “Oh, I’m no angel… I just… I would’ve done it for anypony. Everypony deserves a chance.”

“Oh, you are an angel. A wonderful angel,” he insisted with a louder purr. With his free arm, he furled it around her to return the hug. As yet another purr escaped him, he closed his eyes and basked in the attention, his tongue snaking out to lick her cheek once.

“Um.” She squeaked upon feeling his tongue on her face, blush deepening. “… Thank you.” She closed her eyes, bringing her hoof to her face. “That’s nice of you to tell me that. Nopony’s really… described me as such. Not so often, anyway.”

As he drew back, sitting up straight and stroking his hand over Chenoa--who was prodding him for attention--, he indulged in Fluttershy’s shyness and her adorable blushing face.

“Is that so? I would have expected you to receive compliments like that all the time,” he said with a teasing smirk.

“Oh, no. I generally don’t. I mean…” She blushed even deeper, opening her eyes again. “You’re the first. Really. Nopony outside of my parents ever called me that before. Not ever!”

“That’s rather difficult to believe, my dear. Perhaps others have been blinded by your radiance, rendering them unable to notice what an angel you are.” Smokey chuckled, his chest glowing warm at the sight of the mare’s red visage.

“Oh, stop!” Fluttershy turned away from him, not able to really believe him. He was so sweet for thinking of her like that. “You’ll make me flush!”

“It’s a little too late, Lady Fluttershy. You’re already flushing. It’s quite an endearing sight. Though, I wish you wouldn’t turn away. Your face is too beautiful to hide away.” To put emphasis on his comment, Smokey reached out to cup the pony’s cheek, turning her head to face him.

The pegusus gazed up at him, smiling from ear to ear, her cheek still in his hand. “You’re just saying that…”

She was not used to being so complimented, especially so insistently. Did Rarity ever feel this way when Spike did so? She had never seen her friend blush at all. Nor did she ever ask about how she felt because she believed it wasn’t any of her business.

… Then again, Spike wasn’t near Smokey’s age.

“I am saying it because it’s the truth. It’s a wonder why you aren’t being worshiped over the beauty you possess.”

Did he just say that, he thought to himself as he fought of the urge to blush himself. He developed a habit out of flattery in hopes of gaining an acquaintance, but this was traversing a little out of his normal range. The dragon just hoped he wasn’t embarrassing Fluttershy or making her uncomfortable.

Fluttershy’s eyes went wide, and she leaned back out of the large reptile’s hand before turning away from him with a rather nervous smile. Her mouth opened partially, but she remained silent for a good couple of moments. She wasn’t sure what to say, and was saved from the conversation when her stomach began growling.

“Oh! … Goodness.”

Smokey had taken his hand away when the mare turned away, smile fading, thinking he had gone too far. As he was about to dispense an apology, his ear frills perked at the sound of her belly. Almost on cue, the teapot hissed afterwards, causing the griffon chick to jump into the dragon’s lap.

“I… I suppose… I should get your tea… and medicine… and start… dinner.”

“Um… yes. Please.” She gave him a small smile then turned her gaze onto the small baby, extending her hooves to her. “Here, Chenoa. Come snuggle with Mommy!”

Scooping up Chenoa in his large hands, Smokey handed her over to Fluttershy. The infant didn’t refuse in the least. In fact, she sprang--going over her forelegs--and straight into her chest. The baby slid down the mare’s torso, pressing her head into the mare’s soft fur with a sweet coo. Now that their child was occupied, the dragon stood straight up and left for the kitchenette to first finish the equine’s tea.

Fluttershy felt a little guilty. Smokey had not said anything else, as he dropped the bag of black chai herbs into a mug as it was filled with piping hot water and rummaged through his pantry and refrigerator to gather up ingredients for the cheese fondue and baked potato soup. She was feeling self-conscious. Had she hurt his feelings somehow? She didn’t know…

Smiling and hugging her adopted baby, she began softly singing to her--a lyric-less, wordless melody that gently rose from her throat and wafted through the room.

The draconian was feeling quite ashamed of himself for being so forward with Fluttershy. He actually believed that he just made her uncomfortable with his excessive flattery. He didn’t mean for it to get out of hand--it just happened. If only he hadn’t allowed his mouth to run like that.

Arm full of potatoes, he carried them over to the sink and deposited them into the empty side to clean them right when Fluttershy started singing. His frills flared out to their maximum, her voice ringing through his head. It soothed him into a state of peaceful calm, making him forget his guilt as he proceeded to clean and peel the potatoes.

Smokey was not the only one who enjoyed Fluttershy’s singing. Chenoa’s eyes were wide, twinkling in awe, a broad grin gracing her features while she focused her full attention on her. Even Ross and the doves moved in closer and gathered around, drawn to her voice like a siren.

Fluttershy herself, often accompanied by her beloved animal friends, enjoyed singing. Lifting her eyelids and noticing the rabbit and doves surrounding her, she sang a little louder, but still adding no particular lyrics at all. She let herself be moved, just stringing together notes in a nameless tune guided by her thoughts, feelings, and memories as she wove a tapestry for her captive audience.

The doves caught on, utilizing their vocal chords, cooing in an attempt to imitate the melody. Even the griffon opened her beak, emitting a few short off-key representations with a joyful smile. They were loud enough to be carried across the room and into Smokey’s ear holes. He wanted to tell her how beautiful her voice was, yet at the same time, he wanted to just listen. Fluttershy continued to sing for a few more minutes, raising her tone and pitch to reach some of the higher notes. Hearing the birds and Chenoa join in mad her chest surge forth with pride. The dragon was the tiniest disappointed when the mare’s song finally came to an end, but while it lasted he had savored every second of it.

Turning his head around, his hands working on scrubbing a potato, he called out to her. “That was beautiful, dear Fluttershy. I would love to hear you sing more often.”

“You think so?” Fluttershy called back, reaching down to rub Chenoa on the chin. The baby squealed at the touch, tilting her head back to grant her mother better access “Well, in that case, I just might. I like singing… but I don’t really do so unless I’m in the mood for it…”

“I’m sure we all would enjoy it. Your voice is as beautiful as you. Isn’t that right, everyone?” he queried, his eyes swiveling to his rabbit and doves. The animals responded with enthusiastic nods. The top spines of his ear frills dropped as he mentally scolded himself for being so forward again. They, however, lifted right back up again, listening carefully in anticipation, hoping he wouldn’t detect any negative intonation in the pony’s response.

Hearing his compliment, she was feeling self-conscious again… and smiled when the animals agreed with him. Blushing all over again, she giggled softly. “Um… thank you.”

Relieved that Fluttershy didn’t sound too uneasy, Smokey breathed a sigh, his muscles loosening the starch tension that built up moments ago. “I am glad to hear that… You’ll be getting many more compliments from me in the future. So, you may just have to get used to that.”

“Well, alright. You certainly seem to be… quite generous in your dispensing of them. You might want to watch out, though,” she said, grinning over into the direction of the kitchenette. “I might just get a swell head from all the praise.”

“Shouldn’t someone like you deserve all the praise? I think so.” Smokey chuckled, leaving the sink, having finished cleaning the potatoes and shifted to one of the drawers for the peeler. “Besides, you do not strike me as the type who would easily succumb to a swell head.”

“Oh, no. You’re right about that.” Fluttershy smirked, before realizing what she just said. “I… I mean the… not having a swell head. I’ve known ponies who were like that. I’d never be that self-centered.”

She went back to scratching Chenoa’s chin, hoping what she said was true. She could have easily let such a thing go to her head during her brief modeling career if she had so desired… No, she disliked such attention. She was fairly confident she would remain as humble as she ever was.

PreviousChapters Next