• Published 19th Feb 2013
  • 9,041 Views, 800 Comments

The Lion and the Lamb - CrazyChickenLady



After following a baby griffon into a dangerous situation, Fluttershy finds herself rescued by a kind-hearted dragon and ends up befriending him.

  • ...
36
 800
 9,041

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Forty-Nine: Brothers in Arms

Chapter Forty-Nine: Brothers in Arms

Rover rolled his eyes, sighing lightly. Well, whatever. So long as the griffon wasn’t in their hair. He was about to whirl around and head off when…

“UNHAND HER, YOU CREEPS!” a voice hollered out.

The diamond dogs craned their necks, confused -- and spotted two angry-looking dragons standing at the entrance of the main chamber, the smaller pointing in a defiant (if somewhat clichéd) manner from his position next to the older.

“PUT HER DOWN!” Smokey commanded in a no-nonsense intonation, his eyes glowering threatening. His usual sweet and gentle nature was all but tossed aside, allowing his parental instincts to take control if it meant getting his daughter back.

First, this baby griffon, and now dragons?! Standing tall, the top dog crossed his arms, his gaze sharp and uncompromising.

“Who are you?”

Spike puffed out his chest in an effort to look intimidating, which he failed.

“Your worst nightmare,” he said. “Now hand over the baby, and no one gets hurt.”

The muscular dog scrunched up his nose, an amused laugh emanating from his throat. Were they serious? He took out creatures bigger than both of the dragons. Though… did this griffon chick really belong to them?

“You serious? You think you can just barge in and make demands, hotshot?”

“That griffon is my child! I want her back!” Smokey proclaimed, narrowing his eyes a little.

So, the kid did belong to the dragon, Mr. T-Bone surmised. However, the scarf clad canid had other ideas.

“Prove it. Make her call you ‘daddy’,” he demanded.

Wait! That wasn’t fair! Smokey never even heard Chenoa call him by his parental name. How was he going to accomplish that? Well, he might as well try.

“Come on, Chenoa. Say ‘daddy’!”

“Baba,” the chick replied with a wide grin.

The baby dragon blinked, his own defiant pose deflating at the diamond dog’s command. He hadn’t expected this at all. Biting his lip, he glanced over at Smokey then at the child.

“C’mon, Chenoa, you can do it!” he encouraged.

“Chenoa, say ‘daddy’, or ‘dada’! Please say it,” the scarlet draconian pleaded with desperation in his voice.

Spike gritted his teeth. His eyes were wide, glancing from Chenoa to Smokey and back.

“Please… Please…” he whispered, closing his eyes and crossing his fingers. “C’mon, Chenoa…”

“Ummm… Ummm…” Chenoa hummed before blowing one of her raspberries at the diamond dog holding her, tiny specks of saliva dotting his lenses. The action welled up a current of irritation, despite the amusement of the rest of the canines.

If the situation weren’t so stressing, Smokey would’ve found it funny, too. Instead he continued to plead to Chenoa, his voice sounding more and more desperate.

The canine in charge kept his gaze fixated on the dragons. Judging by their facial expressions, he was beginning to believe that the baby did belong to them. Still, the little one didn’t refer to the red winged reptile as her father.

Spike bit his lip again. This wasn’t working. This wasn’t going to work. Opening his eyes and noticing that he wasn’t being watched at the moment -- the diamond dogs’ eyes on Smokey, the younger dragon formulated a plot in his mind.

It was a huge gamble. He wasn’t sure if he should even risk it. But, maybe, if he dove for Chenoa, he might be able to get her out of the dog’s arm and make a run for it. Though… No, no, he might hurt her. He couldn’t take that chance.

The knot in Smokey’s stomach tightened with each minute that passed. After several minutes, the white bundle still hadn’t accomplished her given task. In an attempt, he lunged at the diamond dog holding his daughter with intentions on snatching her back.

Two more canines launched themselves at him, holding him back. He struggled against their grip, surprised at how strong they were compared to him.

“Let go of me! I am not leaving without my child!”

“Well, it looks like that settles that,” Gregory chuckled as he cradled the chick in one arm with a triumphant smirk.

Smokey wasn’t about to give up his child… even if he lost a bet. Clenching his teeth, the dragon utilized his draconian strength to wrench himself from the guard dogs and sprang at Gregory. Almost instantly, he was tackled to the ground by another canine and soon found himself literally underneath a dog pile.

“Smokey!” Spike cried out. Despite his significantly smaller size and his reduced strength compared to his larger companion, he jumped onto one of the dogs to try and pry him off Smokey. Once he found he was unable to even budge him, he decided to go for another method.

It might have been underhanded. It might have been unsavory. It might have been disgusting, but there was no arguing that sinking his teeth into the tail of one of the dogs was surprisingly effective in causing him to jump up and knock a number of his compatriots off of his friend.

The dogs that had been knocked off the pile turned to investigate what had caused the first dog to unintentionally smack them off. Analyzing the beating red on their comrade’s tail, they turned their focus onto Spike with maligned growls.

Spike, for his part, didn’t back down. He had faced three diamond dogs before by himself for Rarity’s sake -- and, had it come to it, he would have faced a thousand had he must. Gritting his teeth and balling his fists, he was just as determined to protect his friend and the baby -- almost daring the mutts to come at him.

Mr. T-Bone watched in amusement, his body relaxed against the pile of gemstones. Several of the canines around a couple dozen feet away from Spike took up his challenge and lunged at him at once, resulting in another dog pile. Smokey grunted and groaned as he tried to physically overpower the dogs still on top of him, but that didn’t work. Their combined strength was too much for them. Pausing and panting from the exertion, the red-scaled dragon resorted to a different tactic. He whipped his free tail around, slapping the canines on him with the pointed tip.

Sounds of a whip cracking and howls of pain reverberated off the walls of the cavern. One-by-one, the diamond dogs hopped off of Smokey, not wishing to receive another stinging whip to their furry hides.

Spike had taken in a breath to try and breathe a blast of flame -- though, his cunning plan had been nipped in the bud when a diamond dog tackled him and knocked the breath out of him. It didn’t stop the baby dragon from attempting to kick and claw at the dogs that piled onto him.

Pushing himself to his feet, Smokey threw his tail at any diamond dog that dared to tackle him again. Once the canines in his vicinity were down, he went to pile drive the few dogs on top of Spike. However, he wasn’t free for long. More canine sentries poured in from the tunnels connected to the chamber. Yelling out, the larger dragon was shoved off his feet again.

As the diamond dogs continued to hold Spike down, the lavender dragon inhaled as deep a breath as possible. Unable to produce a great deal of flame still due to the fact his stomach was still hurting from the earlier tackle, he nevertheless was able to billow out a decent amount of greenish smoke.

The surrounding canids coughed as they inhaled the tiny reptilian’s smoke. Backing away and standing in place to cough gave Smokey the distraction he needed. Kicking out, he removed the canines off of him and rolled forward onto his feet to headbutt more canids away from Spike.

The baby dragon crawled out from the rest once Smokey had headbutted a few off, the others still coughing and unable to see through the cloud of smoke.

“Thanks. Now--”

He was cut off as several more encompassed them. Instead of piling on them again, the canines revealed they were armed with long, sharp, and deadly looking spears that they pointed at the two reptiles as they circled them.

Spike gulped, tilting his head up at Smokey now with a hopeless expression.

Eyes growing round at the sight of the pointed spears, Smokey circled his tail around Spike as if to protect him. He vainly searched in every conceivable direction for something… anything that may aid them in their plight. Wings outstretching on their own accord, it finally hit him.

“Spike, hold on tight!”

Spike was a bit confused, though as he glanced up at the bigger dragon and taking note of his extended wings, he understood. With a look of apprehension, he hopped up on his back and held on for dear life.

Smokey took to the air in an attempt to fly over the guard dogs and confront Gregory. His plan wasn’t successful. Several of the diamond dogs drop their spears to leap up at the dragons. A couple of them managed to grasp onto the end of the older draconic being’s tail and both of them were subsequently pulled back to the ground and surrounded with spear-wielding sentries. Narrowing his eyes as he and Spike rose to their feet, he threw his elbow at one of the dogs gripping his tail.

Eyes wide, Spike jumped forward at the other canid holding his friend’s tail, only for Spot to spring in his way. Not to be deterred, he took a swing, catching the small bulldog in the jaw, and proceeding to toss punches at each other.

Though it was a good show, Mr. T-Bone was quickly growing irritable with the fighting. He figured the best option to stop it before someone actually got hurt was to hand over the baby.

“Gregory, just give the kid back.”

Right when the addressed dog was about to complain, Chenoa soiled her diaper right on cue. The canine holding her wrinkled his facial features in disgust at the foul smell. Extending his arms at their full length, he turned his head away in a sad attempt to escape the scent.

“Never mind! Take her, please!”

As Spot bashed Spike up against the wall, the dog raised his leg to knee him right in the chest. Spike reached up to slug him in the jaw again, and, elbowing him the stomach, he twisted himself around to flip him over and onto his back. It was about then that the baby dragon gave pause, lifting his head to witness Chenoa mess her diaper.

“Ha! Yes!” Spike cheered, relieved that they were getting her back.

Spot grunted, punching Spike once more, with enough force to send him flying off and clear the distance between them and the second dragon to land beside him.

Seeing Spike endure such punishment inspired heavy concern in the larger dragon. Wrenching himself from the canine pair he had defeated, he knelt down to the ground to check on him.

“Spike! Are you all right?!”

Spike was a bit battered, a few bruises lining his face and upper body where he had been smacked around, but aside from that he was mostly dusty.

“Yeah, I’m fine. We’re tougher than we look, don’t worry,” he answered, though he winced lightly as he picked himself up. “Ow.”

“Ya sure don’t look tough, chubby-cheeks,” Rex stated with a smug smirk.

“You leave him alone,” Smokey challenged with a sharp leer.

The stench wafting from Chenoa was becoming more prominent with each passing minute. Finally, breeching the point of toleration, Mr. T-Bone snapped at the scarf-wearing canine.

“Gregory, give them the kid. It stinks!”

Gregory didn’t need to be told a third time. Still keeping the griffon at arm’s length from him, he approached the dragons and offered her.

“Please take her! I can’t stand it anymore!” he begged, his lisp making the situation more comical.

Smokey was bewildered they were just giving his daughter back without any further quarrels. Even the trio they had encountered earlier and any surrounding guards were gagging and pinching their sensitive noses.

“Take the kid and git!” the top dog commanded.

Smokey just stood there, staring at Mr. T-Bone in a stunned silence.

Spike narrowed his eyes, but though he was bruised up, he wasn’t actively bleeding. Which was a bit of a surprise, but he wasn’t going to say anything about it. Even if tears of pain were pooling in his eyes.

Bleeding or not, it still hurt. He was going to save face. He had to be tough, he believed.

“C’mon, Smokey. Let’s just… take her and go. We got what we wanted. Let’s get out of here already.”

“Take the kid now. I’ll throw in some gems and we can forget all this happened,” Mr. T-Bone offered, wanting the smelly child to leave his territory as soon as possible.

“Really?” Smokey was quite astonished at the generous offer. In a manner of seconds, his sea green orbs were drawn to the pink diamond nestled in the canine’s breast pocket. That would make an excellent present for Fluttershy… “Even that pink diamond?”

Mr. T-Bone was hesitant to let such a valuable treasure go just like that, but he inevitably gave in. Fishing it out, he tossed it over where it landed at the foot of the red draconian. Nodding to Rex, he silently ordered him to fill the sack with gems and give it to the reptiles.

Spike had to admit to himself this wasn’t exactly the outcome he had been expecting. Not that he was complaining. He certainly wasn’t looking forward to being the one to flatten filthy mutts. It wasn’t as if he would have gotten in over his head to the point where he would have been a liability more than an asset.

Eenope. No sir.

Still, as the bag was filled with gemstones, including the pink diamond, he couldn’t help feeling the satisfaction of making out like bandits offset his disappointment exponentially. Flashing his best “pleasure doing business with you” smile to the diamond dogs, he gazed up at Smokey as the little guy lifted the bag -- visibly struggling to carry it.

Sharing the same satisfaction with Spike, Smokey gladly accepted the little chick. Despite the fact she still didn’t smell very good, that didn’t stop him from nuzzling and kissing her head.

“I’m sooo glad you’re okay, sweetheart! Daddy was worried sick over you!” he crooned to the squealing and babbling infant.

Taking notice of Spike’s struggle, he cradled Chenoa in one arm and picked up the sack with the other hand.

“Let us get going. We’ve been gone for a while.”

“Gladly,” Spike said, eager to get out of these dark, dank caverns. Making an about face, the young dragon was in such a hurry to leave he had forgotten the way they came. “Hey, uh, I just realized something. I didn’t mark the tunnels with anything to tell us where we’d been… Did you?”

“Uh… I did not,” Smokey responded, eyes scanning the ground for footprints belonging to them or the diamond dogs they followed. Unfortunately, the ones he sought had been covered up by other prints that appeared identical.

T-Bone sighed with a shake of his head.

“Gregory, show ‘em out.”

“You got it, Boss,” he said tentatively, not too thrilled at the fact he would remain with the baby longer. Striding past the dragons, he proceeded to lead them into one of the exiting tunnels.

“I pity the fool who has to deal with that kid. I pity them.”

PreviousChapters Next