• Published 17th Feb 2013
  • 3,058 Views, 36 Comments

Her Dark Inheritance - GoesKaboom



How Twilight was able to become an alicorn

  • ...
3
 36
 3,058

Her Dark Inheritance

Notes: This is just a oneshot for now. I may decide to continue it later, but for now, it is completed, and if I do decide to continue it, it will be published as a separate story.

Disclaimer: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and all associated characters are property of Lauren Faust and Hasbro Inc. No copyright infringement is intended and no money or other profit is being made from the production of this fanwork. I'm just playing with the ponies (I seriously have a little Pinkie Pie right next to me as I'm typing this) in my sandbox.

Her Dark Inheritance

Luna watched, silently, as the ponies of Equestria cheered on their newest princess. Princess Twilight Sparkle. It had a nice ring to it, the night alicorn had to admit. But unlike the other members of the great nation she helped to govern, Princess Luna no Tsukimi, the Princess of the Moon and Stars, wasn't cheering.

I had hoped it wouldn't have come to this... she thought silently to herself, bitterly regretting the actions that had led to this becoming possible.

It wasn't that she wasn't happy for Twilight Sparkle. No, she was glad for her friend's good fortune.

But can I truly consider my descendent my friend?

Thinking about it filled Princess Luna with shame. Twilight Sparkle. Her great-granddaughter, give or take a generation or fifty. The final result of a long, long line of descendents borne out of an act of desperate rage and desire to be loved. The same desires that had led the night princess to seek refuge in the palace of a mad unicorn king far to the north of Equestria. King Sombra had offered the lunar princess the attention and love she so desperately desired. And in her desperation, Luna had accepted. Already well on her way to becoming Nightmare Moon, Luna had ignored the brutality her chosen consort had shown towards his own subjects, turning and looking the other way. And Sombra, for all his faults and psychosis, had at least treated her well. He made her feel like a mare, and the things they did together... well, now, free from the clutches of her own insanity, Luna regretted them deeply. But at the time, everything had felt so perfect and good. She and Sombra would rule together. They had planned to raise a family together- eventually the house of Sombra would become strong enough that it would dominate not only the Crystal Empire, but the entire world, eventually.

Sombra... did you take another wife after I was gone?

A year after Luna had come to live with the mad pony, she had a foal. As far as she knew, nopony outside of the immediate circle of Sombra's court had known about the birth of Princess Twilight Obsidian. Sombra had been thrilled. His first descendent, first in line to take the throne once he- fates forfend- passed away or was otherwise unable to rule effectively.

Those first three months with “Obsy,” as Sombra called her, had been perfect. Luna had a mate, and an adorable little filly to take care of. Due to the foal's parentage, from a few days, the filly had shown an enormous propensity towards magical ability. Closing her eyes, Luna allowed a short reminiscence of that happy time.

“Oh! Princess! Please stop! You are going to hurt yourself or somepony else!” the frantic crystal pony nursemaid begged. Tiny little Twilight Obsidian just gurgled happily, levitating object after object, flinging them around with wild abandon.

“Daaa!” the foal cried happily, giggling and clapping her tiny hooves as her nursemaid barely managed to dodge a table the tiny unicorn had flung at her.

Standing in the doorway watching the tableau were the foal's parents- a gray-and-black unicorn stallion, and a dark blue alicorn mare. The stallion chuckled at his daughter's antics. “Maybe I should intervene before she ends up destroying the entire palace,” he said, although he made no move to stop her.

“As if you won't just make our subjects fix anything that she destroys anyway,” the mare replied. King Sombra laughed at his consort's words.

“True... true...”

“Maybe we should try for a colt next?” Luna suggested. Sombra looked at her, a glint in his eye.

“Perhaps we should. Perhaps... maybe now?”

Luna shook her head, clearing her thoughts. Of course, there had never been a colt, although she and Sombra had tried- multiple times. Maybe her body was just taking longer than normal to recover from the foaling, or maybe the fates had something else in mind, knowing what would happen next... six months after the birth of Twilight Obsidian, Nightmare Moon had taken over completely. The mare that had used to be Luna left to try to take over Equestria, resulting in her being locked in the moon for a millenium.

A thousand years went by, and Luna, driven by rage and resentment, forgot all about her offspring and the life she'd had with the mad king of the Crystal Empire.

It wasn't until a year after she'd been released from her lunar prison that those memories had come back to her. It had hurt, realizing what she had done, and the extent of her mate's depravity. When she had heard that the mad stallion had been vanquished, she barely could muster up the grief to mourn, although she had felt bad, thinking that her daughter had been killed along with her father.

Imagine her surprise, when one day, she was looking through an old record book buried in the depths of Canterlot Castle, stating that a Lady Twilight Obsidian of the Crystal Empire had wed, at age sixteen, a unicorn stallion from what was now Las Pegasus named Shoreline. Their family line had continued down through the ages until it stopped with... Twilight Sparkle.

Luna had dropped the book in shock.

Twilight Sparkle, her sister's faithful student, was her great-great-great-great... granddaughter.

It made sense, in a way.

Twilight Sparkle had more power than any unicorn that Luna had ever heard of. While it wasn't impossible for a pure unicorn to contain that much power, the alicorn mare had never heard of such a thing happening.

Now it all made sense.

And she wished that it didn't.

With Twilight Sparkle now a princess, Luna knew that she would never be able to escape her past, no matter how hard she tried. The newest alicorn would always be there to remind her of her mistakes, and the life she might have had if she hadn't succumbed to madness.

Part of her wanted to run and embrace her descendent.

Part of her wanted to run screaming in the other direction.

But Luna knew that she couldn't reveal the truth to anypony, least of all Celestia or Twilight Sparkle. Celestia likely wouldn't take it well to realize that her “faithful student” was the descendent of her sister and a genocidal maniac who'd forcibly taken the throne of another kingdom.

And Twilight Sparkle? Considering she and Spike had been the ones to vanquish Sombra once and for all- Luna shuddered to think what would happen if the mare was to realize that she had essentially murdered her great-great-great-great grandfather.

As Luna watched the happy parade trot by, she schooled her features into a beatific smile, one proper for the Night Princess of Equestria.

She would look after her little ponies, including those that included her direct descendents. Even if that meant making sure the truth would never be uncovered.

/END

Author's Note:

I'm sorry. I know this story is shit. I just saw the episode and had to dash out something for it. I might continue it later, or delve more into depth and backstory, but for now this is it.

Hopefully you enjoyed this fic, even though it's lousy.