• Published 14th Feb 2013
  • 478 Views, 30 Comments

Scotch Muffin - TheFoxern



Scotch Muffin, a filly too smart for her own good, has run away. Into the Everfree Forest of all places. Not the place she expected to make a friend, or find an adventure.

  • ...
0
 30
 478

11: The Wizard

It was the first thing that Scotch had seen in the city that was part of it, but not made of the black stone. There were wooden doors, much like the one on the cliff with writing around the edge that appeared modeled after the carvings. The obvious word that Scotch caught before they were pushed open by the large crowd was 'Wizard' as it was the largest and written several times.

The door slammed shut behind them and it was just her little group once again. Immediately she thought of the abandoned palace in the Everfree, except that this was not crumbling down. “Are we in another palace?” Cookie asked, looking down at Scotch.

“It is the Wizard's palace palace.” Arthur got down off of Cookie's back.

“It looks like a palace,” Cookie said as he nodded knowingly. “Does this have a candle room, too?”

“I don't think all palace's have candle rooms, Cookie.” They were heading down the hallway now and Scotch had to assume that this was what the old palace looked like in it's prime. Scotch gave a quick explanation of what they were talking about. “But...uhm...does the Wizard know we're coming?”

“Of course,” Tacky said as she adjusted her boa. Scotch had noticed that she had cleaned up while playing hide and seek rather than seeking. “The Wizard knows everything.”

Once again they came to two large doors and Scotch suddenly had this odd feeling of empty space behind her. She looked back to see that everyone except her had taken quite a few steps back. Even Sir Antwan looked apprehensive. “Hello?” Cookie had opened the door and was peeking his head inside.

Scotch moved after Cookie as he entered the room, both because she did not want to leave him alone and she did not want to be somewhere without him. The room was dim with oddly dark lights. Basins of black fire lined the long room. There were black banners, which had intricate designs and depictions done in thick silver thread. “Well at least it has a theme...” Scotch swallowed as her voice echoed loudly.

“It's dark,” Cookie said with a frown. “I preferred the candle room.”

“Yes it was a lot more homely than this.” At the other end of the hall there was a large throne and a large bundle of cloth atop it.

Scotch hid behind Cookie as the bundle moved. “Approach.” The voice seemed to come from the direction of the bundle, but it felt too soft to have come over that much distance.

“A-are you the Wizard?” Scotch managed, her voice a tad shaky. Cookie was still approaching with a light of curiosity in his eyes.

“I am a wizard.” The bundle shifted again as the approached. “Any who can use magic can claim that title.”

Cookie tilted his head as they moved even closer to the bundle. “Then that means that the Empress is a wizard as well?”

“No.” Scotch could see a soft black glow under what was apparently a hood. “She has chosen a different title. In this world, what you call yourself holds power.”

“So by calling yourself the Wizard, that gives you power?” Scotch said as she came out from behind Cookie.

“In a manner of speaking, yes.” The glow brightened a moment and then faded back to it's gentle pulsing. “I have waited a long time for new ones to come with the power to wield magic...and it is unfortunate that instead of unicorns...I get a little filly and a changeling.”

Scotch felt mildly insulted but there were more pressing matters. “A changeling? What's a changeling?” Scotch asked as they were almost to the bundled figure.

“A changeling. A shape shifter. It disguises itself as ponies and feeds off the love of those that care for the pony they are disguised as.”

“I...feed off of love?” Cookie said softly, staring at the the ground.

Scotch looked up at Cookie, she could see the confusion and the uncomfortable way he stood. “Cookie...”

“They are usually harmless. This one especially I would imagine, considering his...condition.” Scotch could see the ponies face when the light of it's horn glowed. She saw a hoof emerge from under the robe and move over his face.

“You know about his amnesia?” Scotch said as she moved beside Cookie. She realized it wasn't really a blanket, but a very heavy cloak.

“It is one of the many things that I have been told. I was not, however...” His hoof moved down slowly. “I was not informed that the two new 'wizards' were just a little filly and a changeling.” He sighed softly and leaned back. “This ruins all my plans...”

Scotch was annoyed now. “I am not just some little filly and I hate how everypony keeps calling me one.”

“But you are,” the Wizard said as he leaned forward. “I am sure you have some magical talents but you are no great warrior...”

“W-warrior?” Scotch blinked several times, the image of her dressed as a knight, riding atop Cookie into battle popped into her head and...then the image went poorly.

“I cannot face the Empress, but she must be stopped. I had hoped that when I had gotten news of wizards entering the realm, that we would finally be able to stop her.”

“I'm feeding off of Scotch...” Cookie muttered, staring at the ground.

Scotch looked from the Wizard to Cookie. Tears were falling softly to the ground and he was staring at the droplets. “Cookie...” Scotch placed a hoof gently onto his leg. He recoiled from her, moving away from her.

“Most likely,” the Wizard said. “It is a harmless action, but he is most likely feeding off your love for him. If he did not, he would starve. It is lucky for him that he had found you.”

Scotch moved towards Cookie, looking up at him. “Please, Cookie...don't cry.”

Cookie was taking deep breaths. “I'm...some kind of monster...aren't I?”

She glared at the Wizard. “Technically he could be considered a monster, though a monster is more defined by actions than by what they are, wouldn't you say, Scotch?”

“Of course. And Cookie has been nothing like a monster.” It had been the first time that Scotch had ever seen Cookie unhappy and she didn't like it. She was so mad at the Wizard for saying things like that and making him cry.

“You are of course, welcome in the city...” the Wizard said with a sigh. “I will be forced to put my grand plan on hold...”

“Why can't you fight the Empress?” Scotch snapped, glaring at him.

The figure looked taken aback. “Me?” There was a moment of hesitation. “And leave the city defenseless? I am the only reason the city has not fallen. Has not already been conquered by her.”

Scotch didn't like that answer, but she was forced to accept it. Of course it was the most obvious answer. “She is that powerful?”

“I do not know the extent of her power; her limits. But I know that my power is enough to keep her away.”

“So then you do not think you could defeat her?”

The Wizard shifted. “I believe that it would be a fight that would cause more damage than it would solve.”

“She plans to destroy everything! How could your battle be more costly?” Scotch was even angrier now and stomped her hoof.

“I would not expect someone so young to understand. You are from Equestria, yes?”

She blinked, a bit caught of guard by the sudden subject change, and then nodded. “Yeah...”

“Then you have seen the type of power unicorns can wield. I am afraid that someday there will be a fight between her and I...but it will cost far more than it could possibly gain.” She noticed how he seemed to sink back in his throne. “No. It is safer in the city. And as long as I am here, she dare not attack it full on.”

“But what if she does?”

The glow slowly faded out. “Then I will think of something.”

They were outside the large doors once again in the middle hall between the outside and the Wizard's hall. No one was there but Scotch and Cookie. “Some all knowing wizard he is.”

Cookie had managed to stop crying, but still sagged with obvious sadness. “I don't want to feed off of Scotch.”

“But you heard the Wizard,” Scotch said, giving him a slight smile. “He said that it's harmless. And you would starve otherwise.”

“I don't like it...”

She nudged him slightly. “But it's nothing to worry about. Now...let's go find our friends. Forget what the Wizard said. It doesn't change who you are.”

He took a deep breath and then nodded. “Yes...but I was right to worry. I did not like the answer.”