• Published 4th Mar 2013
  • 794 Views, 22 Comments

Raggedy Adventures - CaptainSanchez



He's a legend. A myth. The last of the Time Chargers. The Oncoming Storm. He is the sole survivor of the Time War. He is the Doctor. Join him as he travels with Colgate Minuette in his big, blue barn.

  • ...
4
 22
 794

Where do you want to start?

"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"
- The Eleventh Doctor

Raggedy Adventures

Chapter One: Where Do You Want To Start?

Edited by Rain-M24

Hello, my name is Colgate Minuette, and this is the story of my time with the best stallion in the universe. His name is the Doctor. I know what you're thinking, but he's not that Doctor. He's my Doctor. You probably know him as "Rags," but that's not his name. Of course, "The Doctor" isn't his name either, but it's good enough.

***

It was just another day at the office. Yep, nothing quite like rotted molars, plaque-encrusted bicuspids, and cavity-coated incisors to make a day suck. Of course, that was before it became the best day of my life. Before I met my Doctor, and before I opened my watch. I had just sent Bon Bon back home to Lyra, and was about to close up for the night, when I heard the little bell on the door go ding. This was odd, of course, since everypony in town knew that it was closing time. Then, like a flash, in rushed a gray stallion, with a weird metal... thingy clutched firmly between his teeth. Of course, now I know that it was his Sonic Screwdriver, but let's not get ahead of ourselves, okay? I was puzzled by him, so I did what I always do when I'm curious: I asked questions.

Oh, how the Doctor loves questions. Why, I remember this one time-- Oh, wait. Can't tell you yet. Time travel, it really messes with you. Now, where on Gallopfrey was I? Oh, yes.

"Sweet sugar-free suckers! Who are you?"

The stallion just... waved me off. Naturally, I got P-O'd at that. I mean, here was this strange stallion in a bow tie and a stupid hat, intruding on my place of business, making weird sounds with a metal thingy, and ignoring me. Who wouldn't be upset under those circumstances? Nopony I know, I'll tell you that much.

"I'm the Doctor, now please shut up, I'm trying to save the world."

Naturally, I assumed that he was nuts.

"Yeah, right. I don't know what you're going on about, mister--"

"Doctor. I'm The Doctor."

"Doctor who now? You know what, it doesn't matter. Just get out of my building. I have a big day tomorrow. Pinkie Pie's coming in, so I need to be at my best." Honestly, with the amount of sugar that mare consumes every day, it's a wonder that she still has teeth.

"Oh, Pinkie? I haven't seen her in ages. Well, ages for me. I doubt it's been a week for her," he blabbered, still absent-mindedly scanning the room with the Sonic.

"What? That doesn't make any sense, Doctor Whoever-You-Are."

"Aha! There we go," he exclaimed, opening... some kind of secret compartment in the wall. Inside was a... thing. It looked a bit like a squid, a mosquito, and a hedgehog had a very ugly child. Picture a purple squid with six eyes, a mosquito's... nose-thing, and a hedgehog's spines. You just try getting that image out of your mind.

"I mean--" I continued, making my way over to him, "WHAT THE HAY IS THAT THING?!"

"That, my dear, uh... I'm sorry, what was your name, again?"

"Colgate."

"Right, thanks. That, my dear Toll Gate, is a Zaarthanog. Nasty thing. It feeds on-- well, pain and fear, among other things, so I'm not sure why it's here. It can't possibly get a good meal at a... I'm sorry, what do you do here, again?"

At his question, I proudly stuck my snout in the air and said:

"It's Colgate, and I'm a dentist."

"Oh. Well, that explains it," he muttered, whilst turning back towards the Zaarthanog.

"I'm sorry, but what did you just say? I'll have you know that not a single one of my patients has ever complained! Wait, what are you doing to the Za... Zuhr... Czar..."

"Zaarthanog. It's an emotional parasite; and I'm trying to get a proper reading on it, so would you be so kind as to shut up and let me work?"

Oh, that did it. Nopony, and I mean nopony tells Colgate Minuette to shut up.

"What? NO! Doctor or not, you do not talk to me like that, especially not in my own office! You and that... Zaar-thing are leaving here right now!"

DOC... TOR...

"Did you say something? Please tell me you said something," I asked the Doctor.

"No, that would be the Zaarthanog. Stand back, and watch me do my thing."

Oh, no. He looked... thrilled. Almost like he wanted to show me how great he was. Things like that don't usually end well for the ponies showing off. I watched him turn back to the Zaarthanog, and address it.

"Yes, I am the Doctor. How might I be of service?" he asked it.

THE... DOCTOR... SUCH... PAIN... HATE... FEAR... DELICIOUS... DELICIOUS... FEAR... SO... MUCH... EMOTION... TOO MUCH...

The Doctor gave me a look that said: I've so got this.

THE DOCTOR... A LEGEND... THE ENDLESS FEAST... MY WORLD... SURVIVED CENTURIES... OFF THIRTY MINUTES NEAR YOU... WITH ALL THAT HATE... PAIN... RAGE... PASSION... I COULD BE... IMMORTAL...

Hearing that, the Doctor seemed to get less cocky. That... can't be good.

THE OTHERS... CALLED ME MAD... FOR WANTING TO FIND YOU... BUT I KNEW... THE DOCTOR... LOVES EQUESTRIA... SO VERY MUCH...

"Doctor... what's that thing talking about?"

"Oh, I went to its planet a while back. Didn't like it much, and left. That was back when I had my last face... and about 1000 years back from its perspective, so... yeah."

I blinked, momentarily dumbfounded.

"Its... world? Last... face? A thousand years? What the hay are you?"

"Oh. I haven't mentioned that, have I? Sorry, I'm getting old. Downright ancient, if I'm being honest. As I said before, I'm the Doctor. I'm 1,387 years old, I'm a Time Charger from the planet Gallopfrey, this is my twelfth body, I have two hearts, and I fight evil."

YOU HATE ALSO YOURSELF WITH A PASSION... CAN'T LEAVE THAT OUT... YOU BLAME YOURSELF... FOR EVERYTHING.

The Doctor got really mad at that. I've seen ponies get mad before, but... it was so much scarier when it was the Doctor. It's hard to explain, but when I saw him glare at the Zaarthanog, I nearly wet myself.

"Now, let's not go there, Zaarthy. I know you're just trying to sustain yourself, but don't milk me. I've already got enough emotions in here without you aggravating me. Look, you've already mooched enough emotion from me to live, oh... I'd say roughly twelve thousand more years of a very active lifestyle, fourty-nine if you just... hang out. Of course, that means that you can leave now. In fact, you could use a ride home. Wait! Almost forgot!"

With that, he gripped the sonic back in his teeth, and scanned the Zaarthanog. After staring at it for a couple of seconds, he turned to me.

"Oh. Well, that's not good. I'd been wondering how he got here. You see, Colgate, Zaarthanogs won't develop space travel for another... six hundred years, give or take a few weeks, so he couldn't have gotten here on his own," he said, before turning back to the Zaarthanog. "So, tell me: how did you get here?"

I THINK... HE SHOULD... BE THE ONE... TO TELL YOU... DOCTOR...

"What? Who?" the Doctor asked, urgently.

"Me."

I turned around, and there was a blue pegasus. Dark blue, though. His mane was all spiky (not to mention a lighter, but still kinda dark, shade of blue), and his cutie mark was a constellation. I couldn't tell you which one, I was never too good at that kind of thing. Oh, and he was wearing a black waistcoat over a light blue shirt. When I say "light blue," I mean "almost white." Then the stallion turned to me. I was about to make some lame excuse for why there was a gray stallion talking to a... thing in my office, but the stallion spoke first.

"Hi, Captain Jack Harness," he said, with a charming grin and an extended hoof.

"Colgate Minutte," I said, shaking his hoof.

"Well, hi there, Colgate Minutte. Nice watch."

"Stop it."

"Doc, I was just saying hello!"

"For you, that's--"

"What watch?"

They both turned to face me, and Captain Harness pointed at my neck while he spoke.

"The one around your neck."

TO BE CONTINUED IN CHAPTER TWO

Author's Note:

Oh, yay! Cliffhangers. Why'd Jack bring a Zaarthanog? Why doesn't Colgate know she's wearing a watch (like you don't already know)? And why haven't I written a first-person fic before? The answer to the last one is shut up.