• Published 14th Feb 2013
  • 821 Views, 18 Comments

Archangel's New Assignment - SabreXio



How will Captain Archangel adjust to his new life in Ponyville?

  • ...
4
 18
 821

Up And Running

After Princess Celestia finished her speech, I felt like a new soldier. My job now had meaning: no more fighting because I'm told to or because I have to. I fight now because I want to keep these ponies safe. They looked at me like I was important, not like I'm an abomination or a weapon like my old 'comrades' use to. I also realized that I had to get my base back online if I was going to be of any use to the Princess. I started walking to the door when I heard a voice.

"Captain, I would like to make a request" said Guardian

"What's up G" I asked

"I would like to remain here"

"Really?" I said "I had no idea you liked parties"

"I mearly wish to observe and learn about the culture and social norms"
I thought about it for a minute and made my decision

"You know what G, go ahead" I told him "you've earned a break"
I threw his drone and it deployed.

"Thank you Captain" he said as he hovered away
Have fun buddy I thought as I walked out the door.
Thanks to Princess Celestia (which I will never get use to) it was about noon and all the ponies were going about their business. As I made my way down the main road in Ponyville, I drew alot of stares from those who saw me. Some looked confused, others curious, I even saw one pony pull a little foal into her house.
Some things never change I thought They'll get use to me
I found my way out of town and saw my base situated up on a hill like a citadel, which is basicly what it was at this point.
I was amazed by just how lucky it is that I started out on the high ground, a perfect place to keep an eye on this little town and keep it safe. I approached the door and entered the access code, causing the door to slide open. I entered my base, mentally preparing myself for the work I would need to do to bring this thing back up to speed. I walked through the entrance hallway and came to the large room where I was awakened. I continued on and passed through two more doors on the opposite side which lead me to a room filled with computer screens and control panels. I walked up to one of the panels and, after a few keystrokes, addressed the base.

"Computer, respond" I said
One of the screens fickered to life and showed a nondiscript female face.

"Security protocols are in affect. Voice key required for further interaction" it said in a computerized female voice

"I have yet to meet a man who can outsmart a bullet" I recited

"Voice key accepted. Welcome back to the Firestorm, Captain" she said

"It's good to be back" I said with a smile
Ah my ship, the MLP Firestorm. Quite proud of it, despite its origin. This ship actually started out as a cargo freighter and then was overhauled by yours trully to be a heavily armed gunship. It looks like a supersized semi-truck with three legs on each side and a gun sponson on each facet. It's ugly as all-get-out but it's home.

"Firestorm, we need to get this ship back online" I said

"Understood Captain" responded Firestorm "I'll begin the reactivation process"

"Good. If you need me, I will be in my quarters" I said as I turned to leave
I made may way back to the main room and activated the lift.

"Sorry Captain" said Firestorm "I'll get the lift for you now"

"Thanks"
With an audible whirr, the lift decended from the ceiling, coming to a halt in front of me. I walked onto it and Firestorm sent it to my quarters above. As the lift came to a halt, I made my way to the sliding door which opened and revealed my room.
Home, sweet home
My room wasn't very big, maybe a little smaller than the main room of the library from the party. Across from the door, my workbench sat littered with spare parts, tools and other stuff. On the wall above it, was my customized Styer AUG assault rifle, my personal sidearm: a classic M1911 Colt pistol (can't beat the classics) , and two empty spots, one for my sheild and one for my axe. Against the left wall is my bed and a small closet; nothing too interesting there. Opposite that is a wall of bins and cabinets filled with parts and tools. I walked up to the closet and changed my armor for a grey T-shirt, blue jeans, and workboots.
Rarity's got nothing on me I thought as I realized just how classy I am. I replaced the axe and shield on thier respective hangers and strapped my pistol holster to my right thigh and holstered my pistol in it securly along with five magazines of .45 caliber ammo. That's when I saw it: the picture. I sat down at my desk and picked up the little framed picture I had there. It was a picture of Sword Dancer and I, arms around each others shoulders, smiling like we hadn't just waged a war. I felt a hot tear fall down my cheek as I remembered her.

"I miss you Sword" I said quietly to myself "I hope we get to see each other again. Just please be safe"
I wiped away the tear and returned the picture to its place.

"Captain, we have a problem" Interrupted Firestorm "something has entered the base"
I drew my pistol and loaded a magazine.

"On it" I said as I chambered a round
I ran to the lift and sent it down to the first floor. I pointed my gun at the door, ready to engage the enemy. As the door opened I switched my thermal vision on and Identified the intruders. In front of me, six ponies where standing confused as to what was going on.

"Oh" I said as I lowered my gun and switched back to normal vision "it's just you"

"Wow" said a new voice "this place is amazing"
I raised my gun again.

"Who was that?" I asked "Show yourself"

"Captain" said Twilight "it's ok, it's just Spike"

"Spike?" I asked as I holstered my pistol and exited the elevator.

"That's me" said the voice

"Where?"

"Down here" it said a little annoyed. I looked down and saw a small purple and green lizard-esque creature with huge green eyes looking at me.

"Oh, sorry" I said as I knelt down and offered a handshake "Nice to meet you, Spike. I'm Captain Archangel"
Spike stared at my hand, confused by the fact that it was made of metal, then shook cautiously.

"Nice to meet you to, Captain"

"Spike is my personal assistant" said Twilight rubbing his head with a hoof playfully "He's like a dragon version of Guardian"

"Speaking of which, where is Guardian?" I asked the group. A hologram appeared next to me.

"Present and accounted for sir" he said "Sorry for not reporting in"

"WOW" exclaimed Spike "What is that?"

"Oh him?" I said pointing at Guardian "That's Guardian, my assistant. No, it's not a ghost"

"Nice to meet you Mr. Spike" Guardian said nodding toward the dragon

"Captain, you know these creatures?" asked Firestorm, illiciting a squeak from Fluttershy.
Firestorm noticed this.

"Oh my, did I frighten you?" she asked "I'm terribly sorry, I really wasn't trying to be scary"

"Fluttershy, everyone" I began "That voice belongs to the base's computer, her name is Firestorm"

"Greetings everyone, I apologize for not introducing myself sooner"

"Firestorm, these are my friends: Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Twilight Sparkle, Rarity, Fluttershy, and Spike" I said pointing to each as I named them.

"I have already taken the liberty of adding their biometric data to the systems" Firestorm reported "the base's systems will now recognize the seven of you as friends"

"S-s-so, your t-t-the Captain's f-f-friend?" asked a still scared Fluttershy as she crept out from behind the group.

"Yes, I am"

"So what are you guys doing here?" I asked

"We just wanted ta make sure ya were alright" said Applejack

"We also wanted to see if there was anything we could do to help you settle in" said Twilight

"I'm not sure" I said honestly "most of the stuff in here is way to complex for you, no offense"

"Actually Captain" Firestorm said "I could use some help with repairs and tests"

"Ooo, me, me, me, pick me" rattled Pinkie Pie while bouncing up and down waving a hoof over her head, making Firestorm giggle.

"Ok, Ms. Pie, just head through this door and get ready to help"

"Yay" Pinkie said as she bolted through the barely opened door

"I'll go with you, Pinkie" said Fluttershy as she trotted through the door

"And Captain, I could use some help checking on the engines" said Guardian "Ms. Dash, Ms. Applejack, and Ms. Rarity could be very helpful"

"Sure, I'll help" said Rainbow Dash

"So long as my mane doesn't get filthy" quipped Rarity

"Well alrighty then" said Applejack
The unicorn, pegesus, earth pony, and hologram all walked through a door leading to the left side engines. I turned to the remaining two.

"Well, I guess you're with me" I said

"What are we going to do?" asked Spike

"We are going to work on the Data Core room" I said as I turned to the now open door to the right

"The what now?" asked Spike

"It's like a library, but all the books are in a single shelf" I explained

"Wait, you have a library?" asked Twilight

"More or less" I answered

"A library filled with information new to Equestria?" she asked her eyes getting wider

"Some of it, yeah" I confirmed

"Then what are we waiting for!" Twilight exclaimed as she shot through the door like a purple missle

"Where is it, where is it?" she asked frantically

"Hold your horses there" I said realizing what I just said from the stares from the pony and dragon"Oh sorry, old human saying. It's right here"
I pressed a button and a door retracted, exposing the Data Core room. Twilight rushed in and frantically began looking for the books.

"Uh Captain" she said disappointed "there aren't any books in here"
I fired up the computer console.

"You just have to know where to look" I said
The screen displayed a welcome message, then went to the main database.

"See?"

"I don't get it" said Spike scratching his head

"Where are the books?" asked Twilight again
I spent the next couple minutes explaining that this library was electronic.

"So, no books?" said Twilight disappointed

"Well no" I said "but this computer acts like one big encyclopedia, watch"

"Search: Apple: McIntosh" I said out loud

"Were you refering to the fruit or computers?" the computer asked in text

"Fruit"
Then the screen changed and a picture of a McIntosh apple appeared with a wikipage-esque entry

"Want to try?" I asked

"Um, ok" replied Twilight then said out loud "Princess Celestia"

"Error: no entry of this topic currently exists" the computer wrote on-screen

"Twilight" I said "it only works on things that I would be aware of, so nothing specific to Equestria would be in here yet"

"Let me try" said Spike "Gems"

"Multiple types of 'Gems' on record. Please be more specific" the message read

"Ok, uh, sapphire"
Then a cut sapphire appeared in the same fashion as the apple.

"That looks delicious" Spike said licking his lips.

"Ok, I got one" said Twilight "Captain Archangel"

"Error: Classified"

"What?" asked Twilight

"Yeah" I said "some information is only accessable by me. It's just a security measure"

"Oh, ok" she said "how about magic"
A wall of text appeared explaining what humans knew about magic. Twilight quickly skimmed through the information.

"But this is all wrong" she declared "That's not how magic works"

"Hey, I told you humans don't really use magic like you do" I defended "We use slight-of-hand"
The next hour we spent looking through the database. We looked up everything from mythology (Spike was insulted by the entry on dragons) and technology to religion and government. Our searching was interrupted by a loud crash and a rumble trough the ship.

"Uh Firestorm" I said "What was that?"
Guardian responded

"Captain, there is a situation in the engine room"

"On my way" I answered "Firestorm, guide Pinkie and Fluttershy to the engine room"
I ran out the door, Twilight and Spike on my tail. We reached the main room at the same time Fluttershy and Pinkie did, joining our group and following me through the other door and leading straight to the engine room door.

"Don't stand in front of the door" I said causing the group to line up on either side of it like a SWAT team. I opened the door and a huge cloud of black dust rolled out.

"Firestorm, ventilate the engine room" I commanded

"On it" she responded followed by the sound of powerful fans. As quickly as it appeared, the dust was sucked out of the room exposing three black ponies and a still blue hologram.
Rarity is going to kill me I thought

"AHH!" exclaimed Rarity as she examined her coat, mane, and tail, eventually desolving into gibberish.

"Rarity" I said trying to calm her down
More gibberish
"Rarity!" I said a little louder
More gibberish
"RARITY!"
She stopped and looked at me

"Thank you" I said relieved "now, Rainbow Dash, could you make a small whirlwind?"

"Can I ever" she said confidently. She then began flying in a circle, causing a small tornado to form which sucked the black powder off the three ponies and channelled it into the vent fans. Once Rainbow stopped, all three ponies were returned to their former colors.

"See? Everything is fine" I said "Now, I really appreciate the help, but it's getting late"

"Yeah" said Applejack "I gotta git home and in bed, I got alot a work ta do tomorrow"

"And I have to go and make sure none of that dreadful dust is left on me" huffed Rarity

"I need to go feed my animals" whispered Fluttershy

"And I have some other work to do" I said "so I'll see you all tomorrow. Again, thanks for the help"
We all said our goodbyes and parted ways. I spent the rest of the day working on the engines.

"Hey Firestorm, I'm going to bed" I announced with a yawn "keep working on whatever you can"

"Ok Captain" Firestorm answered as I walked to the elevator and pressed the button "Good night"
I arrived at my quarters and entered the room. Removing my pistol and unloading it, I placed it back in its place, leaving the holster on the desk. I removed my boots, laid down on the bed and almost instantly fell asleep.