• Published 11th Feb 2013
  • 1,482 Views, 24 Comments

My Little Zombie: Fearful Fillies - Bronies Zack and Nicos



When a Zombie outbreak comes to Ponyville, a group of fillies, mysteriously left behind in an abandoned Ponyville, must now fight for their lives and find the answers.

  • ...
2
 24
 1,482

Chapter 5

Chapter 5

After recovering from his initial shock, Shady Daze instinctively sprang to help. He quickly snatched a bedsheet, a blanket and tore the curtains from their hinges, furiously knotting it together as tightly as could be, then threw an end of the now rope-esque sheets out the window,letting it dangle a mere foot from the ground.

"Grab on, Dinky!" He called.

The young unicorn filly understood and leapt forward, grasping the end of the sheet with her teeth. Shady Daze strained as he slowly but surely hauled his friend up. Only once he and the unicorn were safely hauled inside did he let go.

"Where have you been?" Shady Daze questioned once Dinky was safe.

The little Unicorn was panting heavily, trying to control her breathing and profuse perspiration. Her mane was also badly dishevelled, her hooves and legs scratched and bruised and her only sounds were her uncontrolled breathings, which matched her slightly scared eyes.

"What...are those...those...things?" She asked in a confused and exhausted stammer.

Shady Daze put a hoof over his scared friend. "It's okay, you're safe now." He said, trying to calm Dinky. "As for those things, well...they're zombies."

Even through her tense expression, Dinky managed a look of puzzlement.

"The scary stories they would tell kids like us?" She asked.

Shady Daze nodded.

"Except they're not stories anymore, apparently." He went to the window and peered into the distance. Several shambling shapes were moving even closer, converging on the library, their moans and smell carried on by the wind.

"But how do we stop them?" Dinky asked.

Shady Daze sighed in frustration. "I have no idea."

Moans we slowly growing louder as zombies continued to proceed closer to them.

"We should probably go and tell everyone else about you, huh?" He said to Dinky.

The Unicorn nodded, her breath slowly returning to normal levels.

"Okay."


Applebloom's ears perked up as she heard hoofsteps clatter down the steps.

"Wait, eight hoofs?" She said as the rhythm of hooves became unorganized and distorted. She looked up and saw two ponies patter down the steps.

"Dinky Hooves?!" She exclaimed in surprise.

The little Unicorn turned her way, smiling sheepishly.

"How'd you get in?" Applebloom asked. She looked expectantly at Shady Daze, who sighed and took a breath.

"She found, or was found by, a group of zombies." He explained.

Dinky nodded, confirming the truth. "I thought they were normal ponies, until I caught the smell." She added. "My mom always said that there were creepy stories people made up, and I can remember she said there were undead ponies. I don't want to believe it, but I think they might be it. I was going to run away, but then I accidentally hit a trash can, and the noise I made caused the zombies to come after me." She looked down, feeling guilty. "I'm sorry, because now they're coming here."

The message relayed the heads of the young fillies, more slowly in the case of Sweetie Belle, who started to wonder.

"Your mom is Derpy, right?" She asked Dinky, who nodded enthusiastically.

"Yes."

"Is she here?"

The realization struck the little Unicorn like an avalanche.

"N...no." She stammered worriedly.

Applebloom tried to backpedal on her friend's question. "It's alright." She said. "None of us could find our families either."

"They all disappeared?!" Dinky asked in shock.

Applebloom wanted badly to say no, but there was no other way to answer. She nodded.

Dinky bit her lower lip, trying not to scream.

"Look, somehow everypony disappeared from Ponyville, but we're still here, and at least we're all here together." Tornado Bolt butted in, breaking any building tension. "We'll find a way out, I'm sure, if we stay together and don't freak out."

"Exactly." Shady Daze agreed hastily, hoping for everypony to jump on board. "Tornado Bolt has a point. We've got each other, and ponies can do great things when they're together, like us!"

Slowly, everypony else warmed up to the idea.

"Y'all are right!" Applebloom agreed. "I'm sure we can get through this!" She thrust a hoof forward. Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo put their own hooves on top of hers. The others followed suit and did likewise.

"I think we should bail before the zombies get here." Scootaloo said.

A slam on the door violently echoed through the library, scaring the young ponies and effectively diminished all their premature confidence. More pounds started to hammer against the exterior of the library, accompanied by the relentless and horrible moans that only a zombie can make.

"Too late." Alula whimpered.


The young ponies backed up closer to each other, some shuddering with fear.

"What do we do now?" Sweetie Belle squeaked. Their makeshift barricade had started to rattle. If the zombie broke through the heavy exterior of the library and it's door, they would quickly overpower the terrified ponies.

Dinky, who was quaking in her own terror, started humming to herself, remembering some nursery hymns her caring mother had told her. She remembered silly bedtime stories about travelling ponies, or ones about ponies and the fun they had with muffins, the way her mother would sometimes go off track and go wall-eyed when she tried to recall what she had last said. When the stories were over, Derpy would tuck Dinky into her bed, cover her with a blanket, dim the lights and whisper "Sweet Dreams" to her drowsy child.

In one of those stories, Dinky remembered how her mother had once said "Time spent thinking clearly is never time wasted." and would always remind her to never panic.
"But ma," Dinky would reply. "What if you were to never come home?"
Her mother would giggle softly and look kindly at her daughter, keeping her eyes parallel to each other without much effort.
"Then you should never worry. I'll always be there for you, my little muffin, even when I'm not with you."
"But how?"
Derpy would touch her daughter just above her stomach. "Always within your heart. As long as you remember that, you'll never have anything to fear."


Remarkably, all this circulated in Dinky's subconscious with milliseconds. She stopped shivering. She stopped fearing. A plan came to her mind. An old game her mother had taught her buzzed in her head.

"Guys!" She shouted, her voice rising above the pounding of rotten hooves. "I know what to do!"

All of her friends turned to her.

"What to you guys know about zombies?" Dinky asked.

"What?!" Sweetie Belle asked in astonishment.

"Just go along with me." Dinky said. "We might find some answers to our questions!"

The rest of the young ponies were either too worried or too unbelieving to say anything in reply.

"Uh, zombies can't run?" Applebloom suggested.

"Yes...?"

"Zombies want to eat ponies who are alive?" Scootaloo offered.

"Yes. Anypony else?"

Alula hesitantly spoke up, remembering when she, Shady Daze and Tornado Bolt encountered a zombie within the school basement. "They can't feel any pain."
"Yes...?"

"Oh!"Shady Daze excitedly piped up. "Zombies can only be stopped when we destroy their brains!"

"Say what?!" Applebloom gawked.

"I remember now!" The colt said, eyes bright. "When me and Tornado Bolt were trying to stop the zombie, none of our hits did anything until I threw a heavy projectile at it's head!"

Dinky beamed.

"That's it!" She announced. "We know how to stop them!"

"That's good, but we need something to hit them with, preferably something heavy." Tornado Bolt hinted.

The group quickly dispersed, covering every corner of the library amid the growing sound and smell of the zombies.

"I found a fire extinguisher!" Applebloom called.

"This pedestal seems strong enough!" Torando Bolt called, pointing to a carving of a horse's head in the middle of the library.

"How about this toolbox?" Shady Daze asked, hauling out a heavy and bulky hunk of a metal box from underneath a bookshelf.

The sound of wood splintering caused the ponies to swiftly turned to the front of the library. A rotting hoof was stuck through a jagged hole in the front door, cut but strangely bloodless. Three more hooves crunched through the door, before it collapsed from it's hinges. Zombies trampled over it, slowly streaming in.

The young ponies were scared, but were now also armed and determined, each with an item to wield, no matter how conventional. They stood their ground, poised and angry.

"Come and get it!" Applebloom hollered fiercely.

End of Chapter 5.

Author's Note:

Sorry everypony, but school starts again for the two of us next week, so chapters will only be updated sparingly. Sorry, but you know how it is.

-Zack and Nicos