• Published 8th Feb 2013
  • 2,354 Views, 203 Comments

The Diamond Cutter Anthology - DiamondPrime



Everyone has their own views on Diamond Tiara's character, but how do the differences in those views impact how she is written? Perhaps this collection of short stories from various authors can shed some light on the subject.

  • ...
6
 203
 2,354

Chapters Next
Prompt 1: The Short Entries - Various Authors

Alaborn

Diamond Tiara is having a terrible day. Everything isn't 100% up to her standards. She heads to school early. She is surprised to see Dinky wearing a tiara. It's obviously not real.

Before she can think of an appropriate attack, she spies Snips and Snails wearing crowns. Then, another student. Now, she's convinced the other students are playing some huge joke on her. The way they don't even interact with her while wearing their headgear? More evidence of the plot!

She retreats inside. Slowly, everypony enters, each with a crown or tiara. The hated blank flanks all have one. And to add insult to injury, the last student to enter is Silver Spoon, wearing a silver tiara of her own creation.

The minute Cheerilee enters the room, Diamond Tiara demands she do something about it. The teacher is a bit confused, and asks her to elaborate. Diamond Tiara begins to air her grievances, but when she opens her eyes, Cheerilee is also wearing a crown. After exploding at her, Cheerilee sends Diamond Tiara to the principal's office.

She sits alone, stewing in anger, as Cheerilee talks to the principal. After getting told not to mouth off to the teacher, the principal goes into a story from his youth, about a time he was terrified to give a speech to the class.

“What are you talking about?”

“I'm encouraging you to not worry so much about your presentation.”

“What presentation?”

“The one in class today.”

Diamond Tiara stared at him. “I am not afraid of any form of speech, debate, or presentation. You still haven't answered my question. What presentation?”

“You're studying pre-unification unicorn history this year, right?”

Diamond Tiara nodded.

It turns out there was an assignment. Do a report on an old unicorn noble, then craft a replica of his or her crown/tiara and explain its symbolism.

In the course of this explanation, Diamond Tiara also learns that her tiara isn't original, but a copy of a noble unicorn's tiara.
She returns to class, and then has to admit she completely forgot about her assignment. So it's detention, and Cheerilee chides her about spending more time paying attention to the lessons and less time thinking of ways to insult her classmates.


Mager Blutooth

Diamond entered the classroom that morning to find all her of her classmates crowded around something in the front of the classroom. She glanced at Silver Spoon with a look of curiosity, who returned the glance with an equally confused expression. Finding the sight to be too strange to ignore, she approached the crowd, hearing voices coming from the center of it as she did so.

“What do you think you're doing? That's my ground! Who said you could walk on it?”

“Don't you dare talk to me like that. Do you know who I am?”

“You two are impossible. Can't you go five seconds without making me want to gag?”
Recognizing the voices as belonging to the CMC, Diamond figured there was a fight going on between them and pushed her way through the crowd to get a better look. Upon breaking through, her prepared smirk was delayed by an expression of surprise upon seeing what the CMC were wearing on their heads.

“Me make you gag?” Scootaloo scornfully asked. “I think you've got it totally backwards.”

“Or maybe there's just about as much in your brain as there is on your flank,” Apple Bloom sneered as she and her two friends glared at one another before breaking out into the laughter. The crowd around them joined in on their laughter with one exception.

“What's going on here?” Diamond angrily inquired, making the three jump at the sound of her voice.

“Oh, hey, Diamond Tiara. Check it out!” Scootaloo exclaimed as she pointed to the tiara on her head with her hoof.

“My sister had a box of these crown thingies that she was going to throw out, but she let us had them instead,” Sweetie Belle explained as she straightened her own tiara. “I never knew how much fun it was to wear one!”

“Plus, it makes you feel like you can say anything to anypony and get away with it!” Apple Bloom stated as she turned to Scootaloo with a false scowl. “I didn't say you could breathe that air! That was my air!”

“Finders keepers, losers you!” Scootaloo mockingly replied, sticking her tongue out at her friend.

“I was gonna breathe that air later!” Sweetie whined. “I oughta-"

“Are you making fun of me?” Diamond accused, interrupting the group’s playful banter.

“What?" Sweetie Belle squeaked. "No, we were just-“

“Take those off,” Diamond ordered with a full dosage of venom. “Now.”

“Why should we?” Scootaloo challenged. “You don't own our heads.”

Diamond responded by throwing a large stack of papers onto the ground in front of them. “No, but I do own the rights to the tiara look from Manehattan down to Los Pegasus. So unless you'd like to pay my standard royalty fee, I suggest you fork them over.”

The CMC looked at one other before begrudgingly tossing their tiaras off on the ground in front of her and taking their seats.

Diamond turned to the crowd gathered around them. “And what are you all gawking at? I never gave any of you permission to stare at me!” The crowd dispersed and took their own seats, the stray mule who came in to watch exiting as Cheerilee entered. Cheerilee gave him a strange look as she walked in before turning to face the class.

“Good morning, class. I hope you're all ready to learn something this morning.” She noticed Diamond and Silver Spoon standing in front of the class. “Girls? Is there something you wish to share with the class?”

Diamond cleared her throat. “That’s okay, Miss Cheerilee. I've already told them everything they needed to hear.”

Chapters Next