• Published 2nd Feb 2013
  • 2,396 Views, 130 Comments

A Turn of Events - Shadow_Fire



Two friends in college lead a mostly normal life. That is, until Luna gets unexpectedly thrust into the picture

  • ...
9
 130
 2,396

Chapter One

“Oh come on bro, it’s my turn!”

“Just hold on man, almost done.”

“Ugh…”

Justin slumped into the couch and resumed his game. Nick, his old friend and now college roommate, was hogging the computer again. He needed to continue working on an important paper due the next week, but Nick was derping around on the internet, looking at the latest memes and commenting on their stupidity. Justin continued to play Assassin’s Creed 3 in his PlayStation. He had already beaten the game; he was just trying to beat his best time. As he focused on a group of guards, Nick called out from the computer:

“Hey bro, come look at this one!” Justin sighed loudly. Nick turned to him with a confused look on his face.

“What?” Groaning, he walked over to him and said

“Just hurry it up, dude. I NEED to continue working on this paper. It’s due next week and I still need to type four more pages.” Nick sighed and started to close out of his tabs.

“Ok, ok, I’ll get off so you can work on your stupid paper.” As Nick moved away, he heard Justin mumble under his breath

About frickin' time...

“I heard that ya know!”

“Whoop de frickin’ do. You try having to write a 30 page paper and not get irritated when you can’t use the computer.” Nick sighed. When Justin got like this, there was no arguing with him. The last time Nick tried, he ended up with a bloody nose and having to pay for take-out dinners all of the next week.

“Fine. I’m gonna go make a sandwich.” As he walked into the kitchen, Justin called after him

“Make me one too!” He poked his head back into the main room and yelled

“Make your own sandwich! Do I look like a butler?” Justin put his hand to his chin in thought.

“Well, actually…”

“Screw you man!”

“No thanks, I’m not in the mood.” Grumbling while Justin laughed as his own joke, Nick went to get started on making his sandwich. A few seconds later, he heard a faint buzzing. It started low, but gradually got louder, growing into a sizzling sound.

“Justin, what are doing in there?”

“What are you talking about?” Nick scratched his head in confusion. He called back

“That sizzling sound. Are you burning something?” Now Justin was confused.

“What are you talking ab……….what the? What on earth is…?” Nick heard the sounds of typing, shrugging as he went back to his sandwich.

“Let’s see, we got some turkey, definitely gonna need that, um……ooh, ham! Gotta have ham! What else, what else…..yup, roast beef, 100% essential… oh my god…BACON! YES! GOTTA HAVE TEH BACON! NO SANDWICH IS COMPLETE WITHOUT THE SWEET LIFEBLOOD THAT IS BACON! Ok, I think I’m good on the sandwich……after I grab this mayo. There, now we’re done.” As he set his ingredients down, the noise grew. “Ok, now I KNOW you’re messing with me. Cut that effing noise out before I-“ BOOM! A giant explosion ripped through the dorm room, shaking the building and causing everything to fall off of their shelves. Nick fell to the floor as his sandwich materials fell around him. The ground continued shaking, causing one of the cabinet doors to fall off of its hinges. After what seemed like a lifetime, the building stopped moving. Nick sat still, waiting for an aftershock or something of the sort. Once he straightened himself out, he yelled for his friend.

“Bro?!? Are you alright?!?” Silence. “Bro..?”

The silence was broken by a loud moaning. Nick cautiously walked into the living area, only to be greeted by all their stuff blown everywhere. Shelves overturned, the couch and recliners lying on their backs, television busted on the floor, the picture frames, once hanging perfectly aligned in the hallway leading to their rooms, thrown across the length of the dorm. A large pile of books sat in the corner, pushed off their shelves and off their neatly stacked piles now massed together. The moaning once again broke Nick from his thoughts. He turned to find Justin lying amongst the remains of one of their bookshelves.

“Justin!” Nick ran to his friend’s side, checking him for injuries.

“Are you ok? What the heck happened?” Justin gripped his head, grunting as he sat up.

“I…I’m not sure. I was sitting at the computer, working on my paper, when you started asking about that noise. At first I thought you were playing a joke on me, when I started to hear it too. Next thing I know, the screen goes white. I tried restarting it, but nothing happened.” Growing more and more confused by the story, Nick asked as he helped his friend up;

“But what about the explosion? Nothing doesn’t send you flying into bookcases.” To his slight irritation, his friend only chuckled.

“I’m getting to it. The story’s almost done anyways. I saw something on the screen, a small speck, but it was growing. Before I could see what it was, I got thrown back by some sort of shockwave.” Nick looked at the disaster area that was once their living space.

“Shockwave? Like a sonic boom?” Justin shrugged.

“Kind of, yeah. Blew me straight back into the bookcase. Strangely enough, the computer is completely fine. It doesn’t look like we turned it on at all.”

“What? You’ve gotta be kidding…………….or maybe not.” The duo sat amongst the rubble, staring at their pristine computer, which hadn’t even shifted during the blast. Another moan broke their thoughts, although this one sounded slightly more feminine. Nick looked at his friend in disbelief.

“Dude, I thought you were feeling better. There’s no need to whine like a girl.” Justin looked back, his face showing slight fear.

“Dude? That wasn’t me.”

“Huh?”

“I’m serious. That. Wasn’t. Me.”

“But if it wasn’t you, and it wasn’t me, who was it?”

As soon as he finished talking, something moved under the large pile of books in the corner. Nick jumped back and tripped over the couch.

“What was that?!?”

“Why are you asking me? My face was buried in a computer!”

“You still should have heard if the door opened!”

“The door’s locked!”

“…..what?”

“Seriously! The door’s bolted and locked!” The books shifted again. Justin ran off to his room, and Nick shouted after him:

“Where are you going?”

“To get my pistol! If this person’s crazy enough to break into a random dorm, I don’t wanna see how crazy they can get!” He returned, carrying a .45 Magnum. Cautiously aiming it at the books, Nick and Justin waited for the unknown being to emerge from the books. What crawled out, however, was shocking enough to make Justin drop his gun, as both friends continued to stare at the unbelievable being standing before them. It appeared to be a large horse, but much, much different. It stood about 6 feet tall, with a dark blue coat. But that wasn’t the only thing. It seemed to have an ethereal mane and tail that shimmered with stars, as well as what looked like a tattoo of a crescent moon against a splotchy black background on its flank. But that wasn’t the strangest thing. The strangest thing was that it had a horn and wings, staring back at them with large, almost cartoonish eyes. It was wearing a crown and necklace, with what looked to be glass horseshoes. Nick and Justin looked from each other to the equine in front of them. Justin seemed to find his voice first.

“W-what are you?” The creature blinked in surprise, before shocking both men.

“We…-I-, am Princess Luna of Equestria. What, may we ask, are you?”

Author's Note:

This is the first attempt of me and a friend at writing stories. All criticism is welcome. Thanks to Wuten for reading this over.
You truly are the King of Spaghetti
-Shadow_Fire

Forgot to mention my co-author >>308681