• Published 20th Feb 2013
  • 1,628 Views, 26 Comments

All the Difference - Tavi n Scratch



What if the Sonic Rainboom happened five minutes later, during the entrance exam of a one Trixie Lulamoon

  • ...
11
 26
 1,628

The Meeting

I flew over Equestria in a royal chariot, looking down to the ground below. My mind wandered, preoccupied by the many issues looming on the horizon. Suddenly on the ground I saw a lavender shaded unicorn in the middle of nowhere with a cart in tow. But something else piqued my interest, on her head sat a wizard’s hat with a star pattern. My curiosity got the better of me and I ordered the drivers to land. I got hopped off and ran after her.

“Don’t I know you?” I caught up to her, her face seemed familiar.

“I don’t believe so,” her expression turned to one of confusion.

“Hmm, the hat seems familiar, might I take a look at it?”

She shuffled, an unsure look on her face. “It was a gift, it’s kinda special to me.”

“I promise I’ll be careful.” She handed the hat to me, but she still seemed nervous. I flipped it over and looked at the inside. A capital “T” was sown in on the interior. I put the hat back on her head and began to laugh. “Well it’s nice to meet you again Twilight Sparkle.”

“How do you know who I am just from my hat.”

“Well I remember a long time ago giving my hat to a sad little filly named Twilight Sparkle after she failed her entrance exam.”

Her eyes shined with the light of realization. “Oh my gosh it’s you!” She began to laugh as well. “I’m sorry but I don’t believe I caught your name.”

“Trixie, my name is Trixie Lulamoon. I’m so surprised to see you out here, where are you heading?”

“Ponyville, there’ll be a big crowd there, what with the summer sun celebration.”

“That’s where I’m off to as well, would you like some company?” She nodded and smiled. I turned to the two pegasi who pulled the chariot. “Head on back to Canterlot, I think I’ll make the rest of the trip on foot.” They took off without question and I returned to Twilight. “So, I’m actually quite curious, how have you turned out? What became of the little filly I told to practice and to never give up?”

“Well where do I begin? I guess I can start from the day after the test.” The two of us wandered as she told me her life story.

She went home after that day after the exam, sad but not discouraged. She continued to practice magic, refining her skill and learning all she could about the art of magic. Time passed and she got bored of regular school, they all moved too slow for her. She dropped out of high school, making it next to impossible to get into a university. She gave up after a while, deciding to have a little fun with magic. Twilight became a showmare, travelling across Equestria, visiting towns, showing of her magic feats to crowds. It was an interesting story, and not one that I had expected, but it wasn’t really complicated. A unicorn who decided to entertain many with her magic. I’m not sure what I expected.

I filled her in on my story, from my exam to palace life, even a bit about my current mission, the things that weren’t confidential. After conversing for a while we come to a fork in the road, one going around the Everfree Forest and the other cutting through it. I’ve read about this place before, an ancient realm, predating the princesses. It was a place full of archaic creatures and wicked magic. And yet it didn’t scare me. “Let’s go this way, it’s way shorter.”

“You can’t be serious, that place is dangerous.”

“Come on, the two most powerful unicorns in Equestria,” I laughed and flashed a cocky smile, “We can take care of ourselves.” She thought for a minute but consented, so we took off into the tree’s.

About five minutes in we came across a ruined castle, a chilling sight, yet I felt so drawn to it, something called to me. I start towards the gate but Twilight stops me, “You cannot be serious, something’s in there.”

“I know,” I speak absent mindedly, heading towards the stone structure. I blink and I’m in the grand hall, a dark cloud swirling where the royal throne would be.

“Trixie,” the blackness spoke, “I’ve brought you here to die.”

Author's Note:


TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference