• Published 20th Feb 2013
  • 1,627 Views, 26 Comments

All the Difference - Tavi n Scratch



What if the Sonic Rainboom happened five minutes later, during the entrance exam of a one Trixie Lulamoon

  • ...
11
 26
 1,627

The Warning

I’m proud to say I never forgot where I came from. I could so easily have been shipped off to the orphanage, but Celestia chose to take me under her wing. I will always be grateful, and to return the favor I chose to be the best student I possibly could. I spent my days poring over books, learning magic and refining my skills.

Although I was often reassured of my talent by those around the palace I was never good enough. I always pushed myself to be better than I was, anything below perfect was unacceptable. Overtime my magic blossomed until I became one of the most powerful unicorns in Equestria. And yet I felt I still had something to prove.

One day I stumbled upon a dusty book, something I had never seen before. The title piqued a bit of interest in me: Elements of Harmony: A Reference Guide I’d never before heard of the Elements of Harmony. I was soon buried in the book, absorbing knowledge from the pages. I learned of Nightmare Moon, Celestia’s younger sister. It was a tender subject, but the two of us had spoken of it before.

I cross referenced this book with a collection of legends, and what I saw was interesting. According to this, Nightmare Moon would return in a month on the eve of the summer sun celebration. We need to be ready, I must tell the princess.

I entered the throne room, trying to remain calm, but I felt an air of urgency and despair. The feeling of an impending disaster. “Princess, might I speak to you in private?” She waved her guards out.

“What is it my loyal student?”

“As I am certain you know, Nightmare Moon is destined to return in a month. I am certain you have a plan, right?” She closed her eyes, a frown stretched across her face. She seemed sad, and I could understand why.

“Yes, I have a plan, and as part of that plan I am sending you to Ponyville, the sight of the festival next month. While there I want you to learn all you can of Nightmare Moon and the Elements of Harmony. Do you understand?”

“Of course, I will go prepare immediately.” I saw something in her eyes, and that was the first clue that something was off. Celestia was keeping something from me, but I trust her, whatever she isn’t telling me is probably better left unknown.

Even I know that knowledge can hurt just as much as it helps.