• Published 27th Jan 2013
  • 1,374 Views, 14 Comments

Archangel's Adventure - SabreXio



Super soldiers and colorful ponies. what could possibly go wrong?

  • ...
16
 14
 1,374

The Adventure Begins

As I lead the way out of the base, I began to notice just how unaccustomed the ponies were to the level of technology I was familiar with as every automatic door startled them and the lights suprised them when they came on.
They should have seen this place when it all worked. I thought, That will totally blow them away

"Hold up a sec," I said as we approached the final door

"Why, what's wrong?" Asked Rainbow Dash somewhat uneasily. These ponies sure are jumpy.
As I approached the door, I remembered why this door was different: hidden on either side in the walls were a pair of flamethrowers, ready to incinerate anyone who tried to open the door.

"I booby-trapped this door so no one could escape this place once they entered" I explained, ignoring Pinkie Pie's giggling at the word "booby".

"Then how in the hay're we suppose ta git outta here?" Asked Applejack

"Relax, I got this," I assured them "G, override the door, security code Pyro"

"Door is now open and safe to pass, Captain."

"Thank you."
As the final door opened to this world, I was stunned by how, even at night, it was so vibrant and bright. Everything was the most pleasent shades of green and blue and even the black night sky was calming. But I couldn't stand around and enjoy the scenery, I had a job to do.

"Lead on, Ms. Sparkle" I said as we exited the base

"Ok. Follow me, everypo..." She started to say but caught herself before she said 'everypony'

"Don't worry about it" I assured her "Don't change how you talk just because I'm not one of you"

"Ok, if you say so" She replied as she turned and started walking with the rest of us behind her.
As we walked, I began to notice odd glances from my companions. Not in contempt, but of curiosity. I decided that the best way to make calm them was to talk.

"If you have a question, just ask. I really don't mind." I said

"Well, I did have a few questions." Said Twilight, "like first: What are you?"

"What do you mean?" I asked

"No, I mean like...like" She responded, trying to think of a way to explain the seemingly simple question.

"I think what Twilight is trying to say is, for example, I'm a unicorn" Explained Rarity

"Yes, exactly" Confirmed Twilight

"Oh, I get it" I said "I'm a human cyborg"

"A what?" Replied Twilight

"I'm a human that has had some systems and parts replaced or enhanced by machines and technology" I clarified

"What's a human?" Asked Pinkie Pie
Ok, they don't have any other humans here. This should be fun.

"A human is a decendent of primates that is characterized by a large, well-developed brain capable of high level reasoning and problem solving." Guardian explained

"Ok." Twilight replied a little overwhelmed "What did you mean when you said parts of you had been 'replaced'?"

"Take a look." I said as I extended my arms "It means just that. Parts were removed and enhanced ones were installed in there place"

"Wow...that's just...wow" Replied Twilight, clearly blown away by what she just heard. I gathered that this place was centuries behind the technology I had, so trans-humanism, or is it trans-equinism, was still science fiction.

"Ok, my turn." I said changing the subject, "What are those symbols on your sides? Are they like clan marks, or tattoos, or what?"

"You mean these?" She asked while shaking her hind quarters, "They're called Cutie Marks"
Cutie Marks.
Right.
Why does this not suprise me?

"What do they mean exactly?"

"Well, a Cutie Mark is a symbol that represents a special skill or quality that makes a particular pony unique." Twilight explained
"Then what does yours mean?" I asked, "Are you an astronomer or something?"

"No, mine's actually for my talent with magic." Twilight said

"Got it, so who else has a question?" I ask

"Um, I had a question," Whispered Fluttershy, "Oh, but you don't have to answer it if you don't want to"

"It's alright Fluttershy, I really don't mind," I assured her

"Ok, umm...why does your eye keep doing that," She asked. One of my eye's had been replaced with a

"Doing what?" I said but quickly realizing what she meant, "Oh, you mean changing color?"
She nods

"Well, you know how some animals can see different ways?" I began. The shy Pegasus seemed to perk up when I mentioned animals, "Like snakes can see things that are hot, and owls can see at night? Well, my eye can do the same thing, the color represents which kind of vision I am currently using"

"What kind of vision can you have?" interjected Rainbow Dash

"Well I have standard grey where I basically see what you see, there's green night-vision where I can see in the dark, I also have blue X-ray which acts like a hospital X-ray scanner, and I have orange thermal vision which detects heat from diffrent sources and shows me what it looks like."

"Are you, like, a spy or something?" Rainbow asked

"No, I'm not clever or good-looking enough to be a spy." I replied sarcastically. I'd been called a lot of things, but 'spy' was a new one.

"Ah got a question for ya." chimed Applejack, "What were those thing ya put on your back?"

"Oh, those were miniguns." I said, trying to think of how to explain what they are "They spin and fire tiny pieces of metal really fast. Let's just hope I don't have to demonstrate"

"I noticed you wearing clothes unlike anything I've ever seen." said Rarity "I simply must know, what is it made of?"

"It's made of a combination of depleted uranium, titanium alloy and carbon nanotubes all pressed together into a plate that is then placed on top of a layer of ballistic nylon." I answered
Rarity cocked her head to the side in confusion

"It's made of hard metals and soft fiber that stack together to form layers." I repeated simplifying my answer

"Oh, ok." she said still not really fully understanding.

"I'm just curious, where exactly are we going?" I asked Twilight

"Well, according to the book, the Elements of Harmony were last seen in the Palace of the Royal Pony Sisters which is located in there" She points to the wooded area I hadn't even noticed in front of us, "the Everfree Forest" she recites

"THE EVERFREE FOREST!" exclaimes the other five ponies

"Alright, I'll bite. What is so dangerous about the Everfree Forest?"

"The Everfree Forest just ain't natural" said Applejack

"Animals care for themselves" added Fluttershy

"And the clouds move on their own" said Rainbow Dash

Ok, now I'm confused. What the hell do they mean 'not natural'? Everything they just said IS natural in a forest. Well, I guess I should just play along and ask later.

"We have an important job to do here," I began, "and honestly, how bad could it be when the Ancient Warrior is on your side? Come on, lets show this 'Nightmare Moon' who's boss!"

"YEAH!" the ponies cheered in unison

"But...," whispered a soft voice, "it's really dark in there"

"Not to worry Fluttershy, I got it covered." I assured her as I reached to my right sholder. I pressed a small switch on the side of my head causing an LED flashlight to flip out and bath the area in white light. Switching to night-vision, I followed Twilight into the forest with the rest of the ponies close behind.
After a short hike, we came to a small cliff the overlooked the forest. I decided this was the perfect time to get a good view of the area from the air. I removed the metal cylinder from my hip and walked to the edge.

"Guardian, download into mobile platform." I commanded while throwing the cylinder into the air. In a second, the cylinder produced a pair of tandem rotor blades that spun with a hum, suspending it in mid air.

"Guardian, get me a good view of the terrain."

"Yes Captain." he responded. I hit a few buttons on my right arm and a holographic computer display materialized. I synced up with the drone and I could see everything he could, which amounted to no more than trees and a river.

"Can I help you, Ms. Dash?" I asked of the pegesus hovering just over my shoulder

"What is that thing?" she asked as she pointed a hoof at the green display.

"Its a hologram, like the one Guardian used back where you found me. Its linked to Guardian's platform up there," I answered pointing to the drone, "so I can see what's around here, but it looks like its just trees"
That's when I felt the ground move.

"Uh, did anyone else feel that?" I asked

"Feel what?" Asked Applejack

"The ground just shook a little"

"Nah, Ah didn't feel a thing"

Then the cliff face gave way. The four flightless ponies and myself began hurtling toward the edge. Thinking quickly, I stretched my right arm toward the mountain and launched my grappling spike. The spike drove itself firmly into the rock face and extended a series of serrated teeth that held it in place. I would be fine, but I still had to stop the two closest ponies from hurtling over the edge.

"I will catch the pink one, Captain." reported Guardian as he dove to snare Pinky Pie with his own grapple cables.
That's when I saw Rarity slide by but it was to late to catch her hoof so I grabbed the only thing I could: her tail. I grabbed the purple piece of silk and felt her pull against me and kept her from falling off, but I knew there would be hell to pay for this.

"I Gotcha!" I exclaimed as we ground to a halt inches from the edge. I let go of Rarity's tail and stood up, now it was just Applejack, Rarity and I on the cliff.

"Well now that that's over, could I offer you two a lift to the bottom?" I offered trying to sound relaxed

"Hmpf, well since it is the only way down" huffed the angry unicorn. Yep, I pissed her off

"Well , if it wouldn't be too much trouble" replied the orange pony

"Ok then, one of you climb on my back and hold on tight. I'll carry the other with my free hand" I said. Applejack quickly jumped up and locked her hooves around my waist, ensuring a tight hold, while I picked up Rarity and held her under my arm. Walking to the edge, I retracted the grapple from it's previous place and fired it again, this time near the edge of the cliff, I inched myself off until just my boots were above it.

"Uh, Captain," said Applejack nervously "Have ya ever done this before?"

"Calm down AJ, usually when I'm doing this I'm getting shot at. We'll be fine." I assured her and pushed off, repelling down the rock face. As soon as I pushed off, both ponies tensed up in fear, which I guess makes sense considering they probably never have been rock climbing. Two minutes later, we touched down and the both of them jumped to the safety of solid ground. I retracted the grapple spike and turned around to see a very pissed off cobalt-eyed unicorn staring at me.

"Hey, I'm sorry I grabbed your tail like that Rarity." I apologized. She stood up on her back legs and reared back her left hoof. I was too distracted by the fact that these ponies could apparently balance on there back legs, that I only just barely managed to back up and avoid Rarity's smack.

"Rarity, I'm use to dodging swords and bullets." I said as she fell onto her front two legs "You, I could dodge in my sleep"
She just mumbled something about her tail being ruined. I turned around quickly. I know I saw something just dart into the trees.

"Uh, are you Ok Captain?" Asked Rainbow

"Yeah, I'm fine," I said "Just thought I saw something. Why don't we get outta here before more stuff starts falling."

Author's Note:

Longest one yet, Hooray. 10 points to whoever can guess what Captain Archangel thought he saw.