• Published 25th Mar 2013
  • 1,098 Views, 41 Comments

Bleeding Strings: Man in a box - The Drifting Bard



or How I gave up finding a way home

  • ...
11
 41
 1,098

I've seen this before

The moon had slowly made its way to the horizon, waving goodbye to the stars as it finally disappeared.
soon after, the train slowly pulled into the station. there was a brief shuffle of hooves as the other passengers slowly left the carriage. I heard a tap on the acoustic, waking me up in the process.
"Huh?" Twilight simply smiled at me.
"We're here, welcome to Canterlot" she then gave me a big grin.
I looked out of the window and saw white walls. I started to pack the acoustic away in its case.
picking up the hat and placing it on my head, I looked over to Twilight, who stood at the doorway.

"Ready to go?" she looked at me with confidence. I simply picked up the case and nodded.
As soon as my foot left the carriage, I took a look at a mass gathering of guards, each one standing at the ready.
"I'll meet you at the castle, Fast Skies, make sure Gimli gets there on time won't you?" a white Pegasus guard stepped forth and nodded. Twilight then vanished into thin air.

all the other Guards dispersed, leaving me and Fast Skies alone. "so, Lead on" he simply cantered off.
"Keep up Gimli!" he shouted. I frowned and simply waited for him to return.
"fine... come on then" he sighed. as he took off in a pace I could keep up with.
I gave the Pegasus a smile as we kept each others pace. "So, your a Human then? I expected something different"
we started to slow down as we neared the gates.

I looked at him for a moment as we slowed down. "what were you expecting, a glorified monkey?"
he crashed down to earth laughing hysterically.
he then pushed himself up off the ground and continued laughing, all the way to the gate.
I gave Fast Skies a cheeky grin as he finally opened the gate.

Not long after I found myself wandering through the corridors, Like a weaving labyrinth. Paintings Decorated the plain marble walls. I took a fleeting glance at each one, I then gave the guards accompanying me a shit-eating grin.
"You look like you could loosen up," I cleared my throat and began to sing.

"Come gather good people and hear the strange tale
Of a man who was known in each county and vale
In a pub down in London called the White Horse's tail
Sat the one man in England who didn't drink ale"


Within the confines of the throne room, two Alicorns slowly read through notations provided by Twilight on the new arrival.
"Sister, Does this human know of us?" The smaller of the two asked.
"I'm not sure, given that Twilight wrote about her encounter with the Human... Wait... Is that singing I hear?"
The door opened as the Guards and I continued singing. "Whether stouts or old weizens or ales brown and pale,
That strange motherbucker who doesn't like beer!"

Both Alicorns looked shocked at first, until they saw the genuine smiles on the guards' faces. they then relaxed as I stepped forth. "so as my old tutor used to say, Always make a grand entrance, so In my own way I did," And with that I grinned once again, continuing to walk forward. "I suppose Twilight gave you the scoop on me did she?"
"yes she said you were the most-" She was cut off as I grabbed the paper.
"Frustrating, unpredictable creature she has ever met, save for Discord of course"
Celestia blinked twice. "well... yes, and um... Welcome to Canterlot I suppose" the white Alicorn smiled.
"so, you must be Celestia then, Pleasure... but who might you be?" I pointed to the smaller one.
she was about to say something. "wait a minute," I pulled out the pendant. "aaaaaaaaaand go"
"we are Princess Luna, and... and.... You wear the moon around your neck, Why?" she eyed the pendant closely, her mind racing with wonder.

But then she felt a hand run through her mane, "Don't worry your pretty little head over it, okay? I'll tell you later"
I gave the dark alicorn a smile. "tell us now!" She demanded, her shout reverberating throughout the castle.
"Perhaps when you stop using ye old equestrian, How does that sound?"
she sighed, looked to her sister, who looked at me. "very well, we shall do our best"

Celestia continued to smile at me, "so, Human... erm.... Mr Bolton"
"ah finally, the words I've been waiting to hear"
"hear what? that i'm making you an equestrian citizen?"
"yep, It's not like I want to go back to...well"
"Tartarus, yes... your first home"

"and besides, I could do so much more, be so much more... I can actually have a well lived life here i think...
If you'll allow it"
"I already have, You never read the rest of Twilight's notes"
"oh... Thank you" I was speechless...

"Just so you know... I also have an offer for you, a job"
I looked at the alicorn incredulously. "what kind of job?"

"How do you feel about Nobles?"
"Do I get to piss them off?"
"If I said yes, Would you take the job"

"Consider it done!"