• Published 25th Mar 2013
  • 1,098 Views, 41 Comments

Bleeding Strings: Man in a box - The Drifting Bard



or How I gave up finding a way home

  • ...
11
 41
 1,098

80% proof

Went out drinking late last night. I had a blast
But now the morning light has come and kicked my ass.


so, there we were, three compatriots, simply drinking the night away and for the first time. I felt more at home than ever.
It also brought to mind that I couldn't really remember the last time I actually did this.
Drinking with friends I mean. That word again... a word that for a while, seemed so foreign.

Back in the day, I was used by so called friends. I lacked a backbone.
hell, I let them walk all over me, nearly reaching my breaking point.
I cut myself off from everyone and isolated myself. but I still made an effort to wind up in pubs and bars simply making people laugh and cheering people up.

Funny thing is, I genuinely cared about people... but hated the human race.
I looked at the little princess for a moment as she drank and talked with the bartender, finding out little things about what goes on. She was having fun and learning something new. but it became apparent that she was asking me something.
"Should we get going?...back to the castle?" I simply nodded. the bartender simply gave me a smile.
"Thanks for the recipe, Mad Dog, I hope to see you again soon"


Walking out of the bar, I simply strolled along with twilight beaming away beside me. "so all in all, i think I learned a lot more about life here on the whole from that bartender than I did from a book" I chuckled. Twilight shot me a flat look.
"I still think you should read a little bit into the history of equestria," the lavender mare sighed.
"Besides, it's a nice place when its not filled to the brim with drunk ponies"
I looked at her for a moment, she was probably expecting me to say something.

but instead, I simply scratched my chin. "drunk ponies....sounds like fun" I grinned as I walked up behind her.
"so, what next? am I to be dragged around the castle once again or what?"
she looked down for a moment. "what is it?"

"we're sending you to ponyville at the end of the week" she stated glumly.
"Isn't that a good thing though?" I asked.
"kinda, I'll be back and fourth between here and there but"
"say no more, you'll have to gather your friends when we get there, yeah? that way I can say hello and you can play catch up" She looked at me for a moment.

I noticed she looked a little more tired than I thought. "Come on, You look tired... after dealing with those fanatics it's surprising your still standing" I let out a small chuckle before moving some hair out of my face. "shall we head back then?"
the alicorn simply nodded for a brief moment.


The walk back to the castle was mostly un-eventful, apart from a few odd looks from the locals.
Naturally, I gave them a small smile before letting out a small chuckle. "this reminds me if something..but I can't remember what" Twilight looked up at me for a moment, still trying to avoid my eyes.
"really? " she giggled out.

we finally made it to the large doors as we heard the loud shout of one Princess Luna.
"WE TIRE OF THIS BICKERING BETWEEN THEE" I burst through the door, noticing the two stallions crouching in fear before the Night Princess.

I simply blinked twice before speaking up. "Luna, shouting won't solve everything... and whats their problem?"
"these two Stallions were involved in an altercation outside a tavern, a fight broke out between them and neither will accept their punishment" Luna grumbled.

"well, you deserve a drink"

Author's Note:

Pressure me into writing and it'll just take longer.