• Published 27th Jan 2013
  • 19,647 Views, 108 Comments

Hold Me, AJ - Stratocaster



Applejack admits her feelings for Twilight

  • ...
20
 108
 19,647

Matters At Home

Chapter 5: Matters At Home

The next morning, Twilight sat on her couch in the main room of the library, feeling quite refreshed and revitalized. She had decided to wait to open the library, as she busied herself with an archaic spell book and a piping hot cup of lemon tea. After enjoying her peaceful morning for a bit longer, Twilight heard the front door open and she greeted her faithful assistant.

"Hi Spike," she said. "I see you had a good time last night."

The little dragon stumbled inside with a lampshade upon his head. "You said it. Things really got crazy when Pinkie moved the party to her place."

"Well, there's no party like a Pinkie party."

Spike walked up to his companion. "So, what happened last night?" he asked curiously. "I thought I saw you and Applejack having a bit of a fight. Is everything okay bewteen you two?"

Twilight darted her eyes slightly, recalling the events of the night before, and having almost forgotten that it was her own birthday. "Oh yeah. Uh, don't worry, Spike. We had a slight argument, but AJ and I have already settled things."

"You sure? What exactly were you arguing about?"

Then, she paused for a moment to choose her words carefully. She had already told Spike about her romance with Applejack, but she dared not share with him about her private moment after the party. After thinking for a bit more, Twilight replied with a fib. "Um...the uh...the punch! Yeah, uh, apparently the fruit punch was a bit too sweet for Applejack, but I didn't think so...Yup." She smiled sheepishly.

Spike looked at her with a suspicious eye. "Seriously?"

"Well, you know AJ." Twilight chuckled. "She sure is picky about...party drinks."

"Eh, as long as you two are still cool." Spike shrugged then proceeded to the kitchen. "Ugh, do we have any stomach tablets? I really pigged out on candy and gems last night."

As Spike dissapeared into the kitchen, Twilight heard another door open, only much slower. She peered up at the top of the staircase and caught Applejack's face peeking out of her bedroom doorway. With a hushed gasp, Twilight realized her dilema having forgotten about letting her marefriend sleep in. She then did a double-take at the kitchen, making sure Spike was still out of view, and waved her hoof gesturing her partner to escape quietly. Applejack took the hint and tiphoofed down the stairs.

Suddenly, as she reached the bottom, Spike's voice was heard approaching from the kitchen.

"Hey Twi," the dragon said as he entered. "What happened to you after the party anyway? You and AJ just kinda dissapeared."

Alert, Twilight snapped her head around toward her assistant. She quickly darted her eyes to the left for a split second to see a banded blonde tail sticking out from behind a potted ficus. It was the least descrete hiding place in the room, but Spike still had no clue.

Twilight feigned a smile and replied. "Oh, uh, well, it was getting kind of crowded. So Applejack and I, uh, went out for dinner and she headed home afterwards. Nothing too crazy." She began to sweat nervously.

"You know, I'm glad you and AJ are together now. I guess I'll be seeing her around more often." Spike said as he turned back away.

With the coast clear, Applejack poked her head out from behind the plant and Twilight gestured to her, frantically. The earth pony slowly creeped towards the front door, being careful not to disturb a creaky floorboard. At last, she was home free; that is until Twilight's curious pet owl landed on the doorknob.

"Hoot! Hoot hoot!" Owlowiscious exclaimed over and over at the orange visitor.

Applejack desperately tried to quell the loud bird. "Shoo! Go on! Get out of 'ere ya crazy owl!" she whispered harshly.

"Owlowiscious, be quiet!" hissed Twilight.

"What's wrong with Owlowiscious?" asked Spike, on his way back in again with a glass of seltzer in hand. "He sounds pretty spooked."

With her only exit blocked, Applejack quickly dove under the coffee table in front of Twilight's couch before she could be spotted. She slid under with a clumsy bumb and struggled to hold back an exclamation of pain.

Twilight tried to pretend she wasn't there. "Uh, he just saw a mouse run by." She answered her dragon.

Owlowiscious remained on the doorknob and continued to hoot angrily at Applejack, having seen her dive under the table.

Spike looked in the direction the owl was yelling at. "We have mice? I'll take of this." He narrowed his reptilian eyes and walked over to the mouse hiding under the coffee table.

Twilight gasped and suddenly sprang to her hooves, blocking his path. "No! Don't! Um, uh, it's a really big mouse! A really big, magical mouse; very dangerous. Uh, just let me take of it. No plroblem." She smiled awkwardly as she cast a silence spell on her hooting pet.

Spike stared at her in confusion; but then walked off with a dismissive wave. "Whatever you say. I think I'll go lie down for a while. Hope you had a good birthday last night."

"Yup, sure did." Twilight replied in a shooing manner. "Sleep tight, Spike."

Finally, the hungover dragon dissapeared into the bedroom leaving Twilight to sigh with relief. Applejack crawled out from under the table and joined next to her on the couch, with a kiss on the cheek.

"Ya think he suspects anything?" she asked.

Twilight smiled back. "Probably. But I think he'll forget all about it after he wakes up." She then nuzzled her companion's neck lovingly. "Thanks, by the way."

"Think nothin' of it, sugarcube." Applejack gave her a warm squeeze.

"Um, Applejack," resumed Twilight taking her time. "I was wondering if you could do something with me."

"What did ya have in mind?"

"Well, you see, after I cleaned up the mess from the party, I found an ad for a couples counselor. And, well, I thought it might be helpful to pay this pony a visit."

Applejack blinked. "Are you sayin' we need counselin'?"

"It couldn't hurt. I mean, I'm not exactly experienced with romance, other than with you. Plus, I think it could help relieve any tension you still have."

For a moment Applejack puased to think. It felt to her as if she was being offered mental therapy. But she learned her lesson about saying no to the love of her life and decided to comply. "Well, I guess it wouldn't too bad. You are the brains after all."

"Thanks so much, AJ." Twilight leaned on her. "I feel like I owe you."

Applejack stroked her purple mane. "Well, how about some quick smoochin' before I go?" she offered suavely.

"Sounds just fine to me." Twilight grinned and became locked in a close embrace.

But before the two could commence kissing, the upstairs door opened and Spike's voice was heard. Applejack ducked behind the back of the couch.

"Twilight," called Spike, peeking out of the doorway. "Can you make me those sapphire waffles you make for sick days?"

Twilight sulked like an overworked mother. "Fine, Spike!" she called back. As the bedroom door closed, she turned back to Applejack. "I don't suppose you're in the mood for sapphire waffles instead."

...

A week later, the marefriends found themselves in a waiting room with a secretary filing away papers and her hoof. As Twilight read an issue of magic monthly, Applejack sat stiff in anticipation.

"You sure you want to do this, Twi?" she asked. "I mean, we don't really need this much help, do we?"

"Don't worry about it, AJ," replied Twilight. "I'm sure this Dr. P will just give us a few pointers. It'll be fine."

After listening on the phone briefly, the secretary spoke to the couple. "Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, Dr. P will see you now."

"Thank you." Twilight walked beside her partner into the other room closing the door behind them.

They entered a small office complete with a mahogany desk, filing cabinets, and various motivational posters including one of Derpy on a tree branch saying "Hang in there, baby!" Behind the large desk was a leather swivel chair facing the wall with somepony seeming to occupy it. Twilight and Applejack sat down in the two smaller chairs in front and stared in confusion, figuring this was the alleged Dr. P. After a minute of awkward silence, Twilight finally spoke up.

"Um, excuse me? Dr. P? We're here for your three o' clock appointment."

"Well it's about time!"

The leather chair swiveled around revealing Pinkie Pie wearing eye glasses and a fake beard. "Because the doctor is IN!"

Applejack gawked. "Pinkie?! You're our couples counselor?!"

Twilight wore the same reaction. "I swear, AJ, I had no idea!"

"That's Doctor Pinkie to you, madame!" replied the pink mare as she puffed on a bubble pipe.

"Pinkie, since when do you know anything about counseling?" demanded Twilight.

"Are you kidding? I've always been a pro at love advice. How do you think Mr. and Mrs. Cake met?"

Twilight stared in astonishment. "I've...never really thought about that."

"But what makes you think you can help?" asked Applejack.

"Well, when I was at Twilight's birthday party last week," said Pinkie as she blew more bubbles. "I overheard you two having a nasty little argument. So before moving the party elsewhere, I left behind my card and the next morning, Twilight scheduled an appointment with my secretary and here we all are!"

Applejack put a hoof to her face and rubbed her brow, struggling to take in the situation and wondering how in Equestria Pinkie managed to get a secretary.

"So, how can Doctor Pinkie help the lovely couple?" asked Pinkie resting her head in her hoof.

Twilight looked at Applejack for moment and shrugged, figuring nothing could go wrong. "Well, Pinkie- uh, Dr. Pinkie, the reason I took your ad was because we think we could use some better relationship advice; we're, uh, still kind of new to this stuff."

"No problem, Twilight!" smiled Pinkie. "It's perfectly natural to for a couple to find help. But before I can begin, I need to know how you two tick, and tock. I'll just run a few tests, as I am a psychologist."

"Apparently." Applejack sighed.

Then, Pinkie held up a stack of large white cards with ink blots on them. "Now, tell me what you see here."

The other two stared at the first ink blot for a few seconds before Twilight answered. "Um...an open book."

"Alrighty, and how about you, AJ?"

Applejack took slightly longer to formulate and answer. "...Spilled coffee?"

With that, Pinkie showed the next one. "What do you see now?"

Twilight studied the next blot hard, and calmly gave her answer again. "A candle."

"And you, Applejack?"

The farm pony simply scratched her head at the drawing. "Uh, a splattered tomato?"

"Good, good." Pinkie nodded then held up the third. "And what about here?"

"You at the beach?" said Twilight.

"You at the beach." Applejack repeated.

"That's weird, you both see the same thing."

"Pinkie, that's a photograph." Twilight replied, eyelids lowered.

Pinkie looked at the framed photo of herself. "Oh yeah! I forgot about that one." She said befoe tossing it aside. "Well, it looks like you two are mentally healthy so far. Next I'm going to try something else; I'll say a word and you say the first word that comes to mind." Immediately, she leaned far over the desk and froze just inches away from Twilight's face. She stared at her intently for a moment, making Twilight extremely uncomfortable, before uttering a single word. "Duck!"

Twilight darted her eyes awkwardly. "Uh...pond."

Pinkie continued the test and Tiwlight followed aptly.

"Sugar!" "Cookie." "Door!" "Knob." "Wheel!" "Roll." "Red!" "Apple." "Spoon!" "Fork. "Spoon!" "Fork." "Spoon!" "Fork." "Spoon!" "Fork." "Fork!" "Spoon."

"Aha!" Pinkie finally sat back down in her chair. "Now that you pass for mental fitness, Twilight, I'd like to try something with Applejack." As her patients shrugged at each other in confusion, Pinkie rummaged through a drawer and pulled out a brass pocket watch on a chain. "Now, AJ, I want you to keep your eyes on this watch." She said as she began to swing it from side to side.

"Um, okay." Applejack did as told, still suspicious.

"Look deep into the watch." Pinkie continued in monotone. "Relax your mind. You are starting to feel tired."

"Wait a minute." Twilight said, ignored.

"You are getting sleepy. Your eyelids are feeling very heavy."

As Pinkie predicted, Applejack began to lower her eyelids and her face became sagged. Strangely enough, her jaw hung open slightly and even her pupils rolled up behind her lids, leaving her in a zombie-like state.

Pinkie persisted. "Sleepy...yes...sleeeeeepyyyyyyyyy-"

"Pinkie!" interrupted Twilight, causing the doctor to stop. "Don't you think you're taking this psychology thing a little far? We're trying to get a few pointers on romance, and you just hypnotized Applejack."

"Oh right; sorry about that, Twilight." Pinkie replaced the watch and finally got down to business. "So, what exactly do you need help with?"

"Well, a lot of times, AJ can be pretty...hesitant. She seems to get nervous whenever I make big suggestions. I would never really expect that from her."

"I see." Pinkie nodded. "What has she been nervous about recently?"

That's when Twilight became nervous herself. "Uh, well, a week ago, after my party, I told her I wanted to have our first...intimate moment. But Applejack didn't anything to do with it at first. I never seen her so apprehensive about anything. She's one of the strongest ponies I know."

"Well, have you ever seen her in a romantic relationship before with you?"

Twilight realized. "Come to think of it, no."

"Well there you go! You see, Twilight, love is a scary thing, and even the toughest ponies get nervous when it comes to being romantic. All you have to do is just let her breath every once in a while, and Applejack won't get so worked up."

"Gee, I guess that makes sense." Twilight pondered, surprised at her hyperactive friend's words of wisdom. "What do you think, Applejack?...Applejack?"

Unfortunately, Applejack was now fast asleep due to the effects of the hypnosis. Twilight gently shook her awake with a deep dream. "Timberwolves! Huh? What? Is it over?"

"I think we got all the advice we needed, AJ." Twilight shrugged.

"What?!" Applejack then glared over at Pinkie. "Ya didn't help me at all, ya quack!"

"Oh don't worry, AJ," smiled Pinkie as she conjured a couple of dolls and a lie detector. "I still have plenty more love advice for you two."

...

That night, a long day had already passed. Applejack spent most of the afternoon being subjected to Pinkie Pie's counseling and was just coming home from selling apples in the market. She entered the farmhouse hoping to get some well deserved rest and relaxation; but she would receive none. Upon entering the living room with a tired groan, she stopped in front of the faces staring back at her. Granny Smith had an unusually discerning look on her face, while Big Macintosh and little Apple Bloom simply stood aside with guilty expressions. Applejack scanned her eyes over all of them before speaking.

"Um, what's goin' on?" she asked.

"Well wah dontcha tell me?" replied Granny Smith sternly. "Just what were ya doin' today?"

"I was sellin' apples, Granny Smith," answered Applejack, surprised at her grandmother's tone. "You know that."

"What about this mornin'? Ah didn't see you in yer bed, certainly not."

That's when she began to worry. Applejack had hoped that her family hadn't caught on to her new love life and definitely had not intended to tell them some time soon. She struggled to think of an excuse. "Um, well, I, uh..."

"Don't bother comin' up with a lie, Applejack," resumed Granny Smith. "Ah already know everythin'. Ah know that you've been kanoodlin' with yer new marefriend like some gosh dang tomboy."

Applejack gasped, realizing her worst fear. "But- but how did you know?"

"Ah'll have you know yer big brother was kind enough to fess up."

Then, she looked to the side at her brother, who avoided her gaze and scratched the back of his hung head. "Big Mac, you- you told her?" she asked, with a betrayed look in her eyes.

"Ah'm so sorry, AJ," said Big Mac. "Ah wanted to keep it a secret, but Granny Smith knows when Ah'm hidin' somethin'."

"But how did you know in the first place?"

Big Mac only looked off to the side again, not wanting to answer.

"Go ahead, Big Mac," said Granny Smith. "There's no shame in tellin' the truth."

WIth that, the draftpony sighed in defeat of his grandmother's orders and answered. "It was Twilight. She told me you two were in love on the night of her party. But Ah never meant for Granny Smith to know, Ah swear, Applejack."

"Twilight told you?" Applejack repeated in quiet shock.

"Ah just can't believe it." Granny Smith shook her head in dissapointment. "In all mah years, Ah never thought one of mah own kin would go off filly foolin'; and with one of her own best friends! Here Ah thought you would marry a nice stallion one day. But this, Ah just can't accept."

"Please, Granny Smith," pleaded Applejack. "It's not like you think. Twilight n' I love each other and there's nothin' wrong with it."

"Ah'm sorry, but Ah think it's unnatural, immoral, and just plain strange. And as long as yer a part of it, Ah can't have ya under mah roof." Granny Smith gave a forceful hoof in the direction of the front door.

"Wait, are you...yer throwin' me out?" gasped Applejack.

"I would never want to do so, Applejack. But you've let me and the rest o' yer family down. Ah'm sorry, but mah mind's made up."

Applejack stared at her grandmother, with tears welling up. "Please, Granny Smith, ya can't kick me out of my own home."

The aging mare gave no response, but simply turned her head away from her granddaughter. Not even Big Macintosh could muster a word of protest to save his sister. In that cold silence, Applejack shut her eyes to keep back the tears and exited through the door in defeat. But as she drudged down the front path, she heard her little sister call after her.

"Applejack!" cried Apple Bloom who came cantering after her, with Big Mac alongside. As Applejack caught her in a tight hug, she spoke in a trembling voice. "Ah don't want you to leave. Please, don't go."

"It's alright, Apple Bloom," replied Applejack as strongly as she could. "I don't blame you or yer brother, but I can't stay if Granny Smith doesn't want me around."

Apple Bloom sniffled. "But Ah don't care if you love Twilight. Yer my big sister and I love you."

Applejack couldn't help but smile at her. "I'll be fine, sugarcube. I'm not goin' anywhere."

"This is mah fault, AJ," said Big Mac. "How can ya ever look at me again?"

"Don't beat yerself up, big brother. You two are my family and I can't be mad at ya. I'll see you both soon." With that, she gave one last squeezing hug to the both of them, before heading down the dirt road into town with her head hung in depression.

...

As Twilight restocked her shelves after another busy day at the library, it seemed like a pretty quiet night. Spike had already fallen fast asleep and business hours over, it looked like she would hit the hay soon as well. After closing a window, keeping out the chilled windy night, a knock came on the door. Twilight wasn't expecting anyone that night, let alone another customer, and approached the door to answer. Outside stood a solemn looking orange farm pony.

"Applejack?" Twilight queried. "What are you doing here? I thought you weren't staying with me tonight."

Without a word, Applejack slumped inside and kept her heavy eyes aimed at the floor. Twilight could see how pale and empty her demeanor was, and quickly sensed that something was up.

"AJ? What's wrong?" she asked, as Applejack stopped in the middle of the vacant library. "Did something happen?"

A cold brief silence fell before Applejack could mutter something, still without making eye contact. "You told Big Macintosh about us?"

Twilight gasped a little at the sudden statement, but she was quick to explain herself. "Well, yeah; it was the night of my party after our little...falling out. I told him why we were fighting and he didn't really seem too astonished. Look, I know you didn't want me telling your family, but Big Mac is trustworthy. And besides, what could happen if Granny Smith finds out?"

"Gee, I dunno," snapped Applejack as she turned around with a glare. "How about gettin' kicked out of my own house?"

Twilight blinked at her outburst. "What are you talking about?"

"Granny Smith knows, Twilight! She forced Big Mac to fess up and now she's gone and disowned me! Her own granddaughter! Now I can't even go back home and face her."

"Oh my gosh, Applejack, that's awful!" Twilight replied sympathetically. "I had no idea."

Now starting to tremble, Applejack plopped on the couch as she continued. "Do ya know what it's like, Twi? Do ya know what it's like to not be wanted in the place you grew up in all yer life? All because of a darned relationship? I told you, Twilight, I didn't want my family to know about you and me bein' together. Did ya ever even consider what might happen?" She paused to sniffle and wipe a tear from her eye, holding back as best as she could. "I've never felt more betrayed in my life." But she couldn't keep back the tears any longer. Applejack finally broke down and covered her face with her hat, hiding away her shame.

As her marefriend sat in uncontrollable sorrow, Twilight realized at that moment what she had been ignoring. "This was my fault." She said simply, joining next to her crying companion. "I've been much too pushy with our relationship. Pinkie was right; I shouldn't try to rush romance. Because all it's been doing is affecting you. And now it's gotten you thrown out of your own home." Twilight gently leaned on her marefriend's heaving back. "Oh Applejack, baby, I'm so sorry."

After a moment, Applejack started to let up from her weeping and peered out from her hat, her eyes red and tear-stained. Twilight laid a hoof on her orange cheek as she spoke into those saddened green eyes.

"All I've done is push you too far. And yet you still gave to me no matter what. It's time I gave to you. I know I'm the last pony you want to hear this from, but I have to make this up to you somehow. Applejack, please, come live with me."

"Wha- what did you say?" asked Applejack, her voice regaining strength.

Twilight resumed. "I feel so terrible about getting you kicked out of your home; so it's only fair that I give you mine. I promise I won't try to rush things anymore. From now on, I'm putting your feelings ahead of mine. I love you, Applejack, and I don't ever want to drive you away."

As she stared back at her loving unicorn, the misery seemed to suddenly leave Applejack's face. Miraculously, she even cracked a smile and pulled Twilight in for a hug, in which neither of them could get close enough to each other. Applejack placed a kiss square on the unicorn's lips before looking deep into her eyes.

"I love you too, Twilight," she said. "I forgive ya. And I'd be happy to stay with you."

Twilight smiled back with glimmering eyes and admiration of her lover's forgiveness. "Oh, Applejack, I-"

"Hey Twilight," called Spike as he entered the room from upstairs. "Can I have a glass of..." He paused at the sight of Twilight and Applejack's embrace on the couch. As the two ponies stared back at him in an awkward silence, Spike went back upstairs to bed. "Uh...never mind."

With a shut of the bedroom door, Twilight and Applejack continued to hold each other lovingly on the couch. Applejack nuzzled the warm soft neck of her new housemate.

"I guess I won't have to hide from him anymore."