• Published 21st Jan 2013
  • 2,817 Views, 54 Comments

The Spirit of Loyalty - Matthew Penn



Rainbow Dash meets her untimely demise when she creates the greatest sonic rainboom the world has ever seen, and her friends learn to cope with loss and while others continue her legacy.

  • ...
19
 54
 2,817

Chapter 4

Sunrise smoothly sliced between the oak and pine trees, the washed Ponyville in its warm glow. Inside the library, sunlight gently touched the face of Twilight, who was sleeping. She opened her eyes and yawned. The unicorn climbed out of her bed and walked toward her window. She gazed at the town. The sun was just rising over the houses. It was going to be a wonderful day, she thought. Then she remembered what day it was.

She heard someone say her name. When Twilight turned to her side she saw Spike was already awake. They looked at each other. Neither of them said a word.

“Twilight,” he finally said. She closed her eyes. Spike approached her and held her hoof.

“I know.”

Twilight gazed at the sun rising from her window. Why must the day be so bright, so splendid, so warm on a day like this? Why, of all the days? Spike sat next to her. If he could, he can spend the whole with her inside their room. But it was not up to them.


Princess Celestia stood on the balcony that overlooked Canterlot. The cool breeze flowed through her long, brightly colored mane. She looked to where Ponyville was located. Celestia wondered what Twilight was doing at the moment. A voice called her name. Princess Luna was standing inches away from her. Her dark eyes were filled with sorrow. They held their gazes at each other, both of them silent.

“Tis a sad day,” Luna said. “The Element of Loyalty has departed from us.”

Celestia lowered her head. She thought of Twilight. Immortality had its disadvantages. She has seen ponies throughout the ages come and go. What could she say to her? Celestia had met Rainbow Dash only a few times. Now she wish she could have taken the time to know her better, including all of Twilight’s friends.

“I know,” Celestia sighed.

“Twilight will be pleased that you have come,” Luna said.

“Nothing can fix her broken heart so easily.”

Luna nodded. She stood with Celestia and gazed at the sunrise.


Granny Smith helped Scootaloo into a dress. It was a simple black dress with a white collar, along with a black bow tie. It used to belong to Granny when she was a filly, and she thought it would look good on her. “There you go, Sweetheart,” she said. Granny straighten the bow tie, and took a few steps back to get a good look. Scootaloo turned around and stared at herself in the mirror. She had bags under her eyes and dried tear stains. Her bottom lip shook. Granny gently placed her hoof on Scootaloo’s shoulder to comfort her.

Applejack poked her head through the door, and saw Scootaloo and the dress she was wearing. Her spine chilled, but she held back her emotions.

“I… I just came to check on y’all,” she said.

“We’re doing fine, Jackie,” Granny said. Applejack nodded and closed the door. Granny gently pulled Scootaloo away from the mirror. She wiped away the incoming tears. “Was Rainbow Dash your friend, too?”

“She was like a sister to me,” Scootaloo said.

When she said that, Granny thought about her own grandchildren. She would suffer greatly from a heart attack if anything happened to them. Granny Smith gave her a soft smile, but Scootaloo saw the sadness in her eyes. Granny patted her on her back, then sent her off.


Twilight and her friends arrived just as seats were being filled. Ponies from over town, and many from out of town, came to pay their last respects to the faster flyer in Equestria. Everyone was dressed in black and white. There were more than 200 chairs in the park, and the centerpiece was a giant marble sculpture of Rainbow Dash’s cutie mark. Twilight and the others their seats in the front row. However, one was empty.

“Where’s Fluttershy?” asked Rarity.

“I came to her house, but there wasn’t an answer,” Pinkie said.

They said nothing. More ponies filled the seats, many of them were familiar faces. There was Derpy Hooves and her daughter, Dinky, and her friend Professor Turner, who taught at the community college. On the top row of the middle column sat two of the Wonderbolts, Spitfire and Soarin. They were not in their uniforms, but wore attire suited for funerals. Soarin looked sadder than Spitfire, who seemed emotionless, but a closer look at her told otherwise.

Pinkie thought about Fluttershy. She hoped her friend will find it in her heart to come. She kept a lookout on the aisles just in case. On one of the back rows of the middle column she spotted the bullies from Cloudsdale who taunted Rainbow Dash during the Best Young Flyers Competition. Their spirits were low; one of them had their head down the whole time. It was probably from shame for teasing her so much, Pinkie thought. While scanning the crowd she another face she had not expected. A face she had not seen in a long time.

On the last row was Gilda. She sat still, emotionless, her eyes fixed on the stage. Pinkie was surprised. She never thought she will see her again, nor did she guessed Gilda would attend an event like this. Pinkie wanted to go to her, to talk, but decided against it.

“Not yet,” she said to herself.

Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo sat next to each other, but were all silent. Scootaloo had her eyes to the ground, pretending the giant marble cutie mark was not there.

Twilight still wanted to believe this was all a horrible nightmare. Time seem to stand still and everything and everyone was fading away into nothingness, until a hoof touch her arm.

“Twilight?” a male voice said. She turned to see her brother, Shining Armor, and her sister-in-law, Princess Cadence. She could not believe they came all the way from the Crystal Empire for someone they only met a couple of times, but Twilight was glad to see them anyway. She quickly caught her brother in a hug. “Twilight, I’m so sorry,” he said. “I can’t imagine the pain you’re going through.”

Twilight then hugged Princess Cadence, but did not seem to let go. It was then that Cadence knew they made the right decision.

Many chairs were filled, but there was no sign of Fluttershy. Then, everyone saw a great chariot descend from the sky. It was white, decorated with golden designs, and was pulled by the royal guards. The Sisters had come. Everyone, except Gilda, bowed in reverence. Princess Celestia was overwhelmed at the turnout. She had no idea that Rainbow Dash was loved by so many. She saw Twilight, her prized student, and her friends, but she noticed one was missing.

“Where is Fluttershy?” Celestia asked. Twilight lowered her head. The Princess kindly put her hoof on Twilight’s chin and stared at the empty seat.

“Celestia,” Luna said, “we must take our seats. The service is about to begin.”

“So it seems.”

The Sisters sat in two extra seats in the front that was reserved for them. Luna watched the remaining seats being filled with guests. She looked around, then saw three fillies seated in the same row. Luna remembered them from Nightmare Night a year ago. They stared at her; mouths open, nervous, possibly frightened by presence. Even Scootaloo took the time to gaze at her. Luna smiled at them to make the fillies less nervous.

“Do not be afraid, for I mourn with you,” she said in a soft voice.

The service began when the Mayor stood behind the podium on the stage. Everyone was instantly silenced. She wore a black suit jacket with a white blouse under, and a black dress skirt.

“Your Highnesses Princess Celestia and Princess Luna,” she began, “Your Highnesses Prince Shining Armor and Princess Mi Amore Cadenza, and fellow citizens of Ponyville… I would like to thank all of you for coming as we pay our last respects to one of Ponyville’s most beloved friend, Rainbow Dash. I am deeply heartbroken by this unfortunate turn of events as you all are. What was supposed to have been a celebration of a pony’s triumph over adversity ended in tragedy, when on this very spot Rainbow Dash performed her greatest and final sonic rainboom.

“... Her body could not be found, and some have concluded that the powerful force of the sonic rainboom had destroyed her. But the remains we do have of her are the memories of the good times she left behind. And for that we are truly thankful. I will like to close this portion of the service with a moment of silence.”

Silence.

“Thank you. I will also like to add that there will be no applause during the ceremony, for this is a solemn event, and a time for reflection and memory. Without further ado, we are about to hear a musical piece by the Harmonic String Quartet.”

The Mayor silently walked off the stage. A moment later, a string quartet appeared on stage that consist of an earth pony, a pegasus, and two unicorns. The earth pony had a cello, the pegasus carried a violin, and two violas for the unicorns. The cello pony played first, playing a sad melody that conveyed the emptiness felt in everyone. After a while, one of the viola players joined, overlaying the cello with a melody that sensed the innocence that was lost. As the two strings blended, the remaining strings joined together to create the desperate longing for the past.

After seven minutes of string instruments pulling heartstrings, the melancholy piece ended, finished by the cello player whose last note was that of somberness. The players bowed and exit the stage, and Mayor Mare stood behind the podium.

“Thank you,” she said. “Now, we will have poetry read by Lyra Heartstrings, an eulogy from Twilight Sparkle, then a song by Sweetie Belle.” The Mayor stepped away and let Lyra take the stage.

“When lilacs last in the dooryard bloom'd,
And the great star early droop'd in the western sky in the night,
I mourn'd, and yet shall mourn with ever-returning spring.

Ever-returning spring, trinity sure to me you bring,
Lilac blooming perennial and drooping star in the west,
And thought of her I love.

O powerful western fallen star!
O shades of night -- O moody, tearful night!
O great star disappear'd -- O the black murk that hides the star!
O cruel hooves that hold me powerless -- O helpless soul of me!
O harsh surrounding cloud that will not free my soul.

In the dooryard fronting an old farm-house near the white-wash'd palings,
Stands the lilac-bush tall-growing with heart-shaped leaves of rich green,
With many a pointed blossom rising delicate, with the perfume strong I love,
With every leaf a miracle -- and from this bush in the dooryard,
With delicate-color'd blossoms and heart-shaped leaves of rich green,
A sprig with its flower I break.

Sing on, sing on, you gray-brown bird,
Sing from the swamps, the recesses, pour your chant from the bushes,
Limitless out of the dusk, out of the cedars and pines.

Sing on dearest brother, warble your reedy song,
Loud equine song, with voice of uttermost woe.

O liquid and free and tender!
O wild and loose to my soul -- O wondrous singer!
You only I hear -- yet the star holds me, but will soon depart,
Yet the lilac with mastering odor holds me.

Yet each to keep and all, retrievements out of the night,
The song, the wondrous chant of the gray-brown bird,
And the tallying chant, the echo arous'd in my soul,
With the lustrous and drooping star with the countenance full of woe,
With the holders holding my hoof nearing the call of the bird,
Comrades mine and I in the midst, and their memory ever to keep for the dead I loved so well,

For the sweetest, wisest soul of all my days and lands -- and this for her dear sake,
Lilac and star and bird twined with the chant of my soul,
There in the fragrant pines and the cedars dusk and dim.

Lyra stepped down from the stage. She returned to the seat next to her friend Bon-Bon. She gave Lyra a kiss on the cheek.

The stage was given to Twilight Sparkle. She saw hundreds of eyes staring at her. Twilight had not written a speech, nor did she need to. She knew exactly what to say, and it came from her heart.

“I know many of you know who I am, but for those who don’t, my name is Twilight Sparkle. Rainbow Dash was my best friend. She was one of the first ponies I met when I moved here from Canterlot. And she was the most loyal friend anyone can have, and I’m truly blessed that she was my best friend. But it hasn’t always been like that. Back then, I never knew what friendship… what real friendship was. What real friendship can become. Looking back, being so caught up in my studies for Princess Celestia had clouded my better judgement.

“When I met Rainbow Dash for the first time, my first impression of her was… not so great. I thought of her as brash, rude, and arrogant. I never want to admit this, but I hoped I would never have to see her again. Later that same night, when Nightmare Moon returned, she, along with my other friends; Applejack, Rarity, Pinkie Pie… and Fluttershy, volunteered to help me find the Elements of Harmony. Each of them performed a task that proved they had the spirit of the elements within them. Applejack showed honesty to reassure me, Rarity generously gave a gift to someone, Fluttershy showed kindness to a large creature who wasn’t quite as mean as we thought, and Pinkie Pie laughed at the face of danger. And when the shadows of Nightmare Moon wanted to bring her away from us, Rainbow Dash remained loyal to us.

“Loyalty. During this dark time, I looked up the definition of the word. Being loyal means having a strong feeling of support or allegiance to someone or an idea. Rainbow Dash not only had strong loyalty for her friends, she had strong loyalty for the ideals of Equestria was founded on - friendship and harmony. Time and again she showed loyalty through her actions. When her friends were in danger, when someone needed help, when something was needed to be done, when an enemy threatened our home… and those who needed a friend, Rainbow Dash was there.

“I… I remember a sonic rainboom from a long time ago. It happened when I was a filly. I was having my entrance exam for the School for Gifted Unicorns. I was nervous. I thought I was going to fail. Then a great explosion of color filled the sky, and powerful magic flowed through me. I was accepted. My cutie mark also appeared that same day. All of my best friends got their cutie marks at the same time.”

Twilight’s eyes were glassy. Small tears slowly down her cheek. She covered her mouth to conceal her whimpers. “I’m sorry,” she muttered. After a brief moment she gained her composure.

“As we say farewell to the greatest flyer in Equestria… let us remember the good times we had with her. Let us remember the loyalty she showed all of us. And finally, let us remember the message she gave to all of us. Live life to the fullest. Make each day count. Live as though everyday is our last. And that’s what she did, and we should as well.”

Twilight stepped down for the podium and returned to her seat. She covered her face and silently released all her emotions she kept bottled during the speech. Rarity levitated a piece of tissue to her.

Now it was time for Sweetie Belle to take the stage. She froze in her seat. Sweetie forgot she had to sing in front of a hundred ponies. She glued herself to her chair. Rarity gave her a gentle nudge and a sympathetic smile. Apple Bloom touched her hoof. Sweetie found what courage she had in her to force herself away from her seat.

The piano was set up for her on the stage. She turned to the pages on the notebook until she found the song. Her hooves hovered over the keys. She knew every eye was watch her; it made her nauseous. Then she remembered that her mother gave her helpful advice the night before. She closed her eyes, then opened them again. All the seats were empty, save for one.

Rarity.

Now it was time to begin. Sweetie played the first notes on the song. It was a nice, soft, and simple melody. Somber, but uplifting as well. Her voice was small, but she sang.

Lay down…
Your sweet and weary head,
Night is falling,
You’ve come to journey’s end.
Sleep now,
And dream of the ones who came before.
They are calling
From across the distant shore.

Why do you weep,
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see,
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms.
You’re only sleeping…

What can you see
On the horizon?
Why do the white gulls call?
Across the sea
A pale moon rises…
The ships have come to carry you home.

And all will turn
To silver glass…
A light in water
All souls pass…
Hope fades…

Into the world of night,
Through shadows falling,
Out of memory and time.
Don’t say we have come now to the end,
White shores are calling…
You and I will meet again.
And you’ll be safe in my arms…
Just sleeping…

Sweetie sang the chorus once more. She found herself singing off-key, which was unusual since she sang perfectly when practicing with her mother. Her hooves moved much slower on the keys. She did it to keep herself from making another mistake. The song was almost at an end, and she played the final chords. She pressed the last key, and the music faded from the air. She closed her eyes, convinced that she had ruined a meaningful performance.

Instead, she looked up and saw many teary-eyed smiles, including Rarity and her friends. Even the Royal Sisters themselves were moved. They were genuinely pleased with her performance. Sweetie was relieved for herself, but she still felt awkward for stumbling on a few parts. She returned to her seat, and Rarity lovingly stroked her head.

The Mayor returned to the stage. “And now we approach the last part of the service. Ushers will release ponies from their seats from the top row to the back row, and we will quietly place a rose on the memorial. Afterward we will close the ceremony with another moment of silence. Let us begin.”

Ushers released the ponies from the first row of seats that included Twilight and her friends, the fillies, Shining Armor and Cadance, and the Sisters. One by one they placed a rose on the ground while a stallion played hymns on the piano, then returned to their seats.

As more time passed, others followed suit. Spitfire and Soarin placed theirs together. Derpy and her family placed theirs at once, but Dinky left a stuffed animal with the roses. “It’s for Rainbow Dash, mommy,” she whispered. Derpy kissed her on her forehead and they returned to their seats.

Thunderlane and his younger brother Rumble were next. The brothers placed their roses on the ground. Before the left, Thunderlane gazed at the memorial, then said quietly, “Thank you, Dash. Thanks for believing in me.”

Her bullies from flight school followed. One after another, the boys placed their roses on the ground. One of them knelt in a defeated fashion, repeated silently “I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.” His friends helped him to his legs.

The last row was released, and Gilda was the last in line. Everyone stared at the griffon while she approached the memorial. Many remembered her as the one who made Fluttershy cry, while others remembered the time she stormed off from Pinkie’s party. None of that mattered to her. Not on this day. There was no reason for her to feel out of place. She placed her rose on the ground, then gazed at the giant lightning bolt-shaped sculpture.

“All this time,” Gilda whispered, “I never had the chance to apologize. I never had the chance to say goodbye.” Gilda covered her face with her claw, shamefully hiding her sorrow from everyone.

Pinkie watched from her chair. She knew Gilda needed a friend.