• Published 21st Jan 2013
  • 2,817 Views, 54 Comments

The Spirit of Loyalty - Matthew Penn



Rainbow Dash meets her untimely demise when she creates the greatest sonic rainboom the world has ever seen, and her friends learn to cope with loss and while others continue her legacy.

  • ...
19
 54
 2,817

Chapter 13

Jovial Province was a resort town just north of Manehattan. During the summers it was a vacation spot for tourists and families, a place where ponies can get away from reality, and it seem like the perfect place for Rarity at the time. She couldn’t remember the last time she took a vacation, and due to the emotional stress from recent events she couldn’t pass the opportunity. Years ago her parents had taken her to Jovial Province when she was a filly during the summer holidays, maybe about Sweetie Belle’s age, probably younger. There was an amusement park by the beach she frequented on the last day of vacation. It was a tradition she made for herself, before her career in fashion began so soon.

They rose at dawn to catch the first train to Jovial Province. On the day of her last conversation with Twilight, Rarity closed the Carousel Boutique and spent the evening with her family, mostly helping Sweetie pack her belongings. Rarity took one look at her mother to know she was proud of her daughter’s decision to join them. Maybe she and Sweetie Belle could finally create a sisterly bond she always wanted to see.

But being away with her family hadn’t stop Rarity from dwelling on her friends, and the future of their lives and her own. She didn’t what she would do when she returned. There was no telling if she will ever return to the life she once knew. Rarity never imagined the day where she has moved on from Rainbow Dash’s death. It was entirely impossible to do such a thing. The few short years she had known Rainbow Dash was an eternity. She couldn’t get over somepony as beloved as her.

The train arrived at Jovial Province at the stroke of noon. A taxi cart carried the family to their hotel. Sweetie Belle took the time to admire the sights along the way. There were shops, restaurants, performing houses; everything the town had to offer. The cart passed the beach, and already there were ponies basking under the sun. Jovial Province is wonderful, she thought to herself. Looking to her sister, she saw that Rarity had her head down. She was sleeping. Poor Rarity, she said to herself.

When the cart stopped at the hotel Sweetie woke her. Rarity didn’t know where she was, then Sweetie informed her they arrived at the hotel. Stepping out of the cart Sweetie and Rarity saw many balconies on the building. It was a very nice-looking hotel, and the inside looked even marvelous than Rarity had imagined. There was a bar and a dining area decorated with velvet wallpaper.

Their room was on the highest floor. It was a considerably large living space with a family room, two bedrooms and two bathrooms. Sweetie walked toward the glass sliding door that lead to the balcony. Stepping forth she felt the relaxing summer breeze on her face, and with it came a spectacular view of the beach. The sun was reflected on the surface of the ocean and the sand was golden. From the corner of her eye off the distance she saw a ferris wheel. If there’s a ferris wheel, that meant it’s an amusement park.

Rarity opened the door to one of the bedrooms. She placed her briefcase on the bed but was too exhausted to unload, so she chose to lie on her side to rest. Her head sunk into the soft pillow. She didn’t care if her perfect mane was a mess afterward. This was what she needed.

“Rarity,” her mother spoke softly. “We’re all going out for lunch. Did you want to come with us?”

“... No thanks. I just want to stay here and rest,” said Rarity.

Mother closed the door halfway, but opened it once again to enter. She sat on the side from where Rarity was lying. Rarity turned her head to see her mother on the bed, then turned to the window.

“Rarity, I know things have been difficult for you,” she said. “I just to let you know that Sweetie Belle, your father, and I - we’re all here for you. You can talk to us about anything.”

“It’s nothing, mother… I’m just really tired,” she said weakly. “All of this… everything that has happened… all of this have taken my strength.”

“I still want you to know that you don’t have to be afraid to speak to me, or anypony else. I’m your mother, and we’re your family.” She climbed out of the bed and went toward the door. She closed it halfway once she was on the other side. “We can talk later once you feel better if you like.”

“Maybe.”

Mother nodded, then closed the door. The young mare filled with life and joy, and very spirit, this was not her daughter. This was somepony else entirely. Mother shook her head. She shouldn’t say such things about her own daughter. A good friend of her’s has met her tragic end. Anypony would feel the same pain as her. Her arm reached for the doorknob, but she pulled herself back. This whole situation was unreal. What was stopping her? Rarity needs her mother.

“Mom?” Sweetie Belle asked. “Is Rarity feeling okay?”

Mother turned away from the door, defeated. “She’s feeling fine. Rarity needs time to herself.”

Sweetie gazed at the door, imagining what Rarity might be doing. Next to her two friends, her sister was a very important pony in her life, and just like mother she missed the days when she was filled with the joy of life. In some ways, she also felt like Scootaloo. Rarity had also, in a sense, “died” along with Rainbow Dash.

“Mom, I’m worried about her. What if she never gets better?”

Mother lovingly stroked Sweetie’s cheek. “She will. Things like this take time to heal. It isn’t easy to go through life after something tragic happens.”

“Is there anything I can do?”

“The best thing you can do is to be a good sister for her. She needs all of us, especially you.” She kissed Sweetie’s forehead. Father waited by the door for his family. He gave a sympathetic smile to his wife and youngest daughter. Sweetie didn’t want to leave Rarity alone. This was supposed to be their vacation. She wanted to spend it with the Rarity she knew and love, but her mother was right. Her heart was broken, and Sweetie had to be a good sister.





Two Years Ago, The Best Young Flyer Competition…


Rarity was literally on top of the world. Everypony couldn’t take their eyes her beautiful wings. Even the other contestants were astonished. Some have mistaken her for an alicorn, even Princess Celestia herself. She never bothered flying through the obstacle courses, but the judges didn’t mind. Dancing in mid-air was enough to give her a winning score.

She didn’t noticed that Rainbow Dash was fumbling in front of everypony, but even if she did, surely Rainbow must have been relieved to have the attention away from her. She never stopped talking how nervous she was about the competition. Rarity never realized how much of a fear of failure she had. Rainbow will have to thank her later when the competition is over.

Then she decided to fly upward until she reached the sun, in which the light illuminated her wings. Brightly lit colors flashed and swirl around the coloss, much to the delight of the spectators. Rarity was in a state of pure ecstasy. As she stretched her arms she felt like a goddess looking down upon mortals. Loud cheers echoed across the sky and clouds. Rarity could stay in the center of the sky for all eternity if she had to.

Sadly, all good things must come to an end. Her back felt naked, the glimmering lights vanished. Before she knew it she plummet through the clouds.

So… this is how the story of Rarity must end. All her life she imagined herself as one of the greatest fashion designers in Equestria. She was going to live in a penthouse in Manehattan, being praised for having a list of high-class clients, and living the single life with thousands of eligible bachelors and suitors. None of that had come to pass, and now she found herself screaming and falling to her death. She was approaching the earth at a fast rate. It seemed as if nopony was coming to her rescue. After the spectacle she made of herself, why would they?

Rarity closed her eyes and accepted her fate. Before hitting the ground one little pony came to her thoughts.

Sweetie Belle. My sweet, little Sweetie Belle. I’m so sorry.

Then, she heard an explosion. Something, or somepony grabbed her, and she ascended to the sky once more. Looking up, she saw a brilliant swirl of rainbow spread over the sky. It reminded her of something she had seen a long time ago when she was a filly. It was the an amazing sight. Then she saw Rainbow Dash carrying her, along with the members of the Wonderbolts whom probably tried to save her.

Her black eyeliner were mixed with tears when she realized she was still alive.






Present


“... Rarity?” a small voice spoke. She knew somepony was calling her name, but was too weak to open her eyes. The little voice called out for again, but this time there was a reaction. Strands of her purple mane were caught on her eyes. Pushing them away she was greeted with a blurry image along with the afternoon sunlight. “Rarity?” the voice said again. When her sight cleared, Sweetie Belle was standing beside the mattress.

“Sweetie Belle,” Rarity said in a weak tone. “Hello darling. How was lunch?”

“Lunch was okay.”

“Where’s mother and father?”

“They wanted to hang out in the courtyard, so I decided to stay here and keep you company.” Rarity nodded. She noticed that Sweetie set a paper bag on the floor. “I got something for you.”

“Really?” she asked, lifting her head. “What is it?”

Sweetie’s hooves entered the paper bag, and when they emerged she was holding a water globe. Inside the water globe was a small porcelain unicorn standing triumphantly on a green hill. She turned it upside-down, then right side-up, and glitter danced around the unicorn.

“It’s for you,” Sweetie said. “I found it at the hotel gift shop.”

Rarity took the water globe from her hooves and watched the glitter rain down on the little unicorn on the hill. “Oh Sweetie, this is wonderful. Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.” Rarity placed the water globe on the nightstand, and the last of the glitter fell to the bottom. Sweetie climbed on top of the bed and sat next to her. “When I saw the unicorn inside the water globe, I thought of you. I thought maybe you’d like it.”

“I do like it, Sweetie Belle. It is a very nice gift. Now I wish I’ve brought you something.”

“That’s okay. I just wanted you to be happy.”

A magical aura held the water globe. Rarity turned it over and watched the glitter fall. The glitter reminded her of the wings she had when she and her friends visited Rainbow Dash in Cloudsdale. She sighed, then placed the water globe back on the nightstand.

“Sweetie Belle, I must confess something. I have never said this to anypony. I want you to promise to not think of me differently.”

“I promise.”

She closed her eyes to gather her thoughts. Rarity saw herself falling to the earth, screaming and crying, believing that her time on her had come to an abrupt end. She let out a deep breath.

“Do you remember the story of how Rainbow Dash saved my life?”

“I do. Scootaloo always like to tell that story. It’s her favorite, and it’s mine, too.”

“After that incident… I have a fear of dying. Falling away from the sun and straight to the earth, my entire life flashed before my eyes. Everything I had done up to that point, and suddenly, all the things I wanted to do but hadn’t. Then my mind went away. I truly believed this was the end. From then on I had nightmares about it. On that day I learned that life can end at any moment, and we are powerless to stop it.”

“... Why would think about something horrible like that?” Sweetie asked shockingly.

“I don’t know why. There were moments in my life where I came an inch close to death. From all those moments… all I saw was your face. The only other thing I’m more afraid of than death is not seeing you again.”

Sweetie attached herself to Rarity, wrapping her arms around her waist, and in return Rarity affectionately brought Sweetie’s head close to her side. “I didn’t mean to upset you. It’s was a secret I was too afraid to reveal.”

The filly brought her face up. There was one Rarity always liked about her little sister was the innocence in her eyes, but this time it was mixed with sorrow. “Don’t say things like that, Rarity. I don’t want to be alone. I don’t want you to die. I love you.”

The sisters locked themselves in a tight embrace. There was no room for talking, and they liked it that way. Sweetie felt an unnerving chill, so she climbed under the blankets with Rarity joining her. Afterward, the two dozed off. Before she slept, Rarity remembered the amusement park that was close to the beach. Sweetie deserved to go, and the greatest big sister in the world will be right next to her.