• Published 21st Jan 2013
  • 2,818 Views, 54 Comments

The Spirit of Loyalty - Matthew Penn



Rainbow Dash meets her untimely demise when she creates the greatest sonic rainboom the world has ever seen, and her friends learn to cope with loss and while others continue her legacy.

  • ...
19
 54
 2,818

Chapter 11

Macintosh had been wanting to go on this camping trip for a long time. It was the perfect opportunity for his family to get away from Ponyville. He knew Applejack needed to be away. One night he found in the family at three in the morning, just sitting on the couch crying. McIntosh hoped the camping trip will her some good.

Scootaloo also came into his thoughts. He can imagined what she is going through. It brought him back to the time when their parents died when he was a colt. Applejack was probably Scootaloo’s age when they died. It couldn’t have been possible, but maybe it was fate that brought them together. Who knows? Besides getting Applejack out of the house, he wanted to prove that the Apples will always be her family.

He rummage through his room to search for items he will need for the trip. A large brown saddlebag with a green apple stitched on the side sat on his bed. While he searched his closet he found something he thought he lost. At the bottom he found a harmonica. Macintosh wondered if it still worked. He dusted it off, and put it toward his lips. He played an old folksong and the melody filled the room. Macintosh played it for three minutes until he stopped, then he slipped it into his saddlebag. There was nothing like good music on the harmonica on a camping trip, he thought. Afterward, he found that Applejack entered his room. It was probably from the harmonica.

“Mom used to play the harmonica, you know,” she said. Macintosh silently acknowledged her. Applejack sat on his bed while he search for more camping essentials. “I remember those summer nights when you and I would sit on the porch, and the fireflies blinked in the night. And mama played our songs on the harmonica. She was really good. I miss them days.”

Macintosh sadly nodded. The tunes their mother played were never lost to them. It seem look long ago when their lives were simple. But he couldn’t dwell on the past. McIntosh continued to pack his belongings.

“So you’re gearing up for the trip?” asked Applejack.

“Yep. I figured it’s about time.”

“You’re certainly right.”

There was some noise from outside. Applejack walked to the window and saw that Apple Bloom and Scootaloo were playing catch. She couldn’t have been more proud of Apple Bloom during these days. Like a true Apple, she was helping others in need. They taught her too well.

“It just occurred to me, Big Mac. Apple Bloom’s growing up. She’s going to be an upstanding young mare one day.”

“Yep,” he said approvingly.

“I’m mighty proud for what she’s doing for Scootaloo. Heaven knows that little filly needs somepony to lean on. I believe Apple Bloom is going to help a lot of ponies one day.”

“There’s a saying of how the littlest thing can make a big impact,” said Macintosh. “Can you imagine if Scootaloo had nopony to come to?”

Applejack shuddered. “I can’t. You know that ain’t me, Big Mac. It's too horrible to think about. I will always help a child in need as long as I live.” She looked out the window again. Apple Bloom and Scootaloo stopped playing ball. Apple Bloom led her in the house, probably to get a snack.

“For what it’s worth, I think Scootaloo is going turn out fine after this,” McIntosh said. “She may not get over Rainbow Dash, but she’ll know that we got her back. We ain’t gonna leave her behind for nothing.”

Applejack nodded, then stared at the apple orchard from the window. She and Macintosh were silent for a moment. “Aren’t you going to pack?” he asked.

“About that… I was thinking about skipping the trip this time.”

“Really? Any reason?”

“Yes, just one… Fluttershy.”

Macintosh paused. He stopped packing to gaze at his sister. “How is she?” he asked.

“I don’t know. Nopony has seen her since Rainbow Dash passed on. What’s worse is that all my friends are out of town. I can’t leave her by her lonesome, Big Mac. It ain’t right. I talked it over with Granny. While y’all are gone I’m going to be at her house for the weekend.”

To partake in the family camping trip was one of Applejack’s favorite things to do. But the life of another pony was more important than that, Macintosh knew. He figured he would have done the same thing if any of his closest friends were in need of desperate help.

"It's what I have to do, Mac. Just thinking about what will happen, what she's capable of doing, if nobody is around to comfort her is enough to make me shiver. The poor filly," she said sadly.

“You’re doing the right thing,” he said. “I’m proud of you."

“There'll be other camping trips, I'm sure. I know you can handle things without me,” she said. “You were in the Colt Scouts once, remember? You’re a born leader.”

“I still got my merit badges to prove it.”

They shared a little laugh. He patted Applejack playfully on her head, then nudged her leg. “You go and take of Fluttershy. By the sound of it, she really needs a friend.”

“I will.”

Macintosh nodded to Applejack as the two watched the two fillies returned outside from the house, this time with the Apples' pet dog Winonna. She ran in circles around them, barking excitedly, and her pink tongue hanging out. After much convincing, Apple Bloom threw the ball which she and Scootaloo played catch across the field. Winonna ran across and returned it, then Apple Bloom threw it again. Ain't that a lovely sight, Applejack thought. It reminded her of the day their mother and father brought Winonna to the farm, and Macintosh and Applejack played with her in the field throughout the day. Apple Bloom was a foal that time, a few months old perhaps. It was the last gift from them.