• Published 7th Jun 2013
  • 1,111 Views, 35 Comments

To See Her One More Time - TheMessenger



A dying man's final wish: to see his daughter one last time. Can the science of Sigmund Corp help him? A crossover with To the Moon

  • ...
6
 35
 1,111

Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Robert fidgeted with his tie nervously as the older man sitting on the other side of the desk looked over a sheet of paper. Every time the balding man hummed or pushed his glasses back onto his nose, Robert straightened his back. He began to tap his foot softly, stopping when the man lifted his bespectacled eyes from the paper and onto him.

"Sorry."

There was a nod, and the man returned his attention onto the document in his hands. When he was certain the man was distracted, Robert took the time to look around the office. It wasn't too much bigger than a cubicle, and the clutter of mementos on the desk and pinned to the wall made the space feel even smaller. A small picture frame sat in center of the desk with its back turned to him, right next to a small dull brass sign that simply said 'manager'.

"You're living pretty far," the man finally said. "You don't mind the commute?"

"Not at all, sir."

"Hm. Your last occupation's not entirely the same as the position you're applying for, similar but not the same."

"Yes, but I'm more than willing to learn. I'm a pretty fast learner."

"Hm. No family?"

"Well...no sir."

"Hm." The man set the paper down and slowly removed his glasses. "Well, you've answered my questions quite professional, and I must say I'm impressed with your resume."

"But?"

"Neil, shut up."

Mr. Manager smiled. "Can you start next Monday?"

"Y-yes," Robert said, struggling to control the stutter in his voice. "O-of course. Tthank you so much. I won't let you down."

"I don't doubt it." The older gentleman extended his open hand. Robert took hold of it. "See you bright and early."

The handshake ended, and slowly, Robert backed out of the office. Taking a moment to loosen his tie, he briskly made his way through the maze of copying machines and employees marching to and fro, with light Manila folders tucked underneath their armpits. A young lady in red at the reception desk gave him a little wave and a small smile, which Robert return with a far more genuine smile of his own.

He, Neil, and Eva stepped out of the building and turned to face it. The logo and name on its front was blurred, hidden under a shadow. They stood there for a moment longer before Robert took a breath and walked over to a car, grayer and and dirtier than the rental they had seen earlier. Robert fished out a mess of keys from his pocket and unlocked the door. The twin edged key went from the latch to the ignition but the engine did not start. The key simply rested there, waiting for its owner to twist it ever so slightly to the side to begin their journey together.

Robert simply sat there. His face split into a grin, and his shoulders shook as he began to laugh.

"I did it, I got the job. I got the job! I got the-ow!"

The thud echoed through the vehicle along with silent snickers heard only by Neil's immensely unamused partner as Robert massaged his lightly bruised knuckles gently and blew hot breath on them. He looked up at the ceiling, checking for dents or any other sign of damage his ill-fated fist bump may have caused to the vehicle.

Satisfied, Robert turned the key and waited for an answer in the form of the hum of the engine. Petals were pressed, levers were pulled, radio stations were dialed, and the car made its way out of the chaotic mess of a parking lot. The buildings and other motors in the background faded into nothingness, and, in their place, trees and green fields appeared. Soon, the large house from before materialized as well. Robert's attention was divided between the road and the sky, looking up into the clouds every so often, ignoring the backseat driving he could not hear anyways coming from Neil.

The noisy hum of the engine had barely been silenced, Robert's door barely opened, before, like a blue bolt of lightning, the pegasus swooped down, performing a short loop-de-loop before landing.

"Well?" Rainbow demanded, hopping as she waited. "How'd the interview go?"

"Well."

There was a period of silence, about ten seconds, before the young mare blinked and said, "Well, what?"

"The interview."

"Yeah, I know, that's what I was asking about. How was it?"

"Well."

There was a period of silence, punctured only by the collective groans of the Sigmund Corp. employees.

Robert pointed a thumb behind him at the back trunk of the car. "Well, Dashie, let's just say all that junk food I bought is for a little celebration we're going to have tonight."

Rainbow's eyes widened. "You got the job?"

The man grinned. "I got the job."

"You got the job!" the pegasus cheered, throwing herself into the air.

"Yep, now help me with the groceries." With a click, the truck was opened, and, with a grunt, Robert pulled out a brown paper bag bulging to the brim. Several others peeked out of the car. "I got your favorite cupcakes."

"The ones with pink frosting and rainbow sprinkles?"

"The ones with pink frosting and rainbow sprinkles. And how does a nice big homemade cake sound?"

Robert stumbled back a bit as Rainbow launched herself into his arms. "You're the best, Dad!" he heard her say. He tried to pat her head but the pegasus ducked out of reach and landed next to the bags. Carefully, she grabbed one with her teeth and her hooves and hovered to the door.

"Dad, hurry up!" she managed to call out.

"Be careful, Dashie. I might have gone a little overboard, so those might be a bit heavy." Once again, Robert pulled out the mess of keys and found the one to the house. "Here we are, home sweet home."

The bags were set down almost completely silently. "Do you have to say that every time you open the door?" Rainbow asked.

"Why not? It's fun."

"It's embarrassing," Rainbow said, rolling her eyes. She flew back and shut the car trunk before lifting the last of the groceries and hurrying back. "Wow, these are a little heavy," she wheezed as she approached.

"Told you so. Need help?"

"Nah, I got this. What's in here anyways? What did you buy?"

"Oh, you know, a couple of bottles of sparkling cider."

The bag almost slipped from her grasp. "I got it, I got it," Rainbow Dash quickly assured. "Really, you got cider? Not just juice, right?"

"I told you, we've got something to celebrate about tonight." Robert led the way to the kitchen. The bags were emptied and were replaced with a mixing bowl, a bag of flour, eggs, and a cookbook. Robert's jacket had vanished and a green apron took its place.

"Now, what did we learn last time?"

"There is such thing as too much sugar."

"And?"

"Coca cola is not a substitute for baking soda."

"And?"

"Setting the oven at a higher temperature will not bake the cake faster. And Dad's no longer allowed to lick the spoon."

"That's right. You washed your hooves? Good." He rolled up his sleeves and clapped his hands together. "Let's begin."

Eva and Neil watched as the man and the pony poured flour and milk into the mixing bowl. They watched as Rainbow clumsily cracked open the eggs. The batter was stirred, the oven was preheated, and a lovely little single layered cake was decorated with chocolate frosting and strawberries. The kitchen window became a sheet of darkness, barely pierced by the light of stars.

"You ever notice how time passes by really fast sometimes?" Neil asked. "I don't think I've ever mentioned how weird it feels.

"I would have thought you'd have gotten used to all this timey-wimey stuff by now."

With cake in hand, Robert followed Rainbow Dash to the dining room. On her back she carried a pair of paper cups, and in her mouth dangled a small plastic bag. The table was already prepared with utensils and plates with cupcakes on them. A large bag of potato chips laid open next to a bowl of tomato sauce. Rainbow set the cups on the table and pulled out a bottle from the bag.

"Should I get the cap remover?"

"Nah," Rainbow said, taking hold of bottle's top with her teeth. "I've got this."

The cap flew off and bounced against the opposite wall. With a sheepish grin, the pegasus poured fizzing apple cider into the cups as Robert sliced the cake and placed an impressive portion next to the pink frosting sprinkled cupcakes.

"This is way too much sugar," Robert said with a laugh, holding up his heavy plate. "You're going to be up all night, aren't you?"

"Yeah, probably." Rainbow wiped away away the frosting covering her lips, leaving pink streaks of sugar on her leg.

Robert chuckled. "Looks like some pony needs a bath."

The pegasus stuck out her tongue in defiance before using it to lap off some of the excess frosting from her cake slice. "Mmm."

"Mmm," Robert agreed, taking a bite from his own piece. He cleared his throat. "Listen, Dashie, there's something we need to talk about."

"Uh oh."

"Don't worry, there's no bad news, and you're not in any trouble. It's just, with the new job and everything, I won't be able to spend the entire day with you at home."

"Oh yeah, that right. Wow, I can't believe I actually forgot."

"Yeah, as much as it'd be awesome to work at home, that's just not in the cards right now. Anyways, I just wanted to make sure you'll be alright by yourself. I mean, with the commute and everything, I probably won't be home until six, maybe later. Sorry."

Rainbow shrugged. "That's alright, nothing to be sorry for really."

"Well I just wanted to make sure you'll be okay with all this. I think we should have had this talk much earlier." The man sighed and leaned back in his seat. "How did that slip my mind?"

"It happens, I guess," Rainbow responded with another shrug. "Don't worry about me, Dad. I'll be fine."

"You'll be careful when you're flying, right? Nothing too dangerous when I'm not around, okay?"

"Don't worry, Pop, I'll be careful."

"And you won't just sit around the house watching the TV?"

"Of course not."

"And you'll make sure to keep out of sight? And stay away from strangers? And not open the door unless you absolutely know it's me? And you won't mess with the stove, right? And--"

"Dad!"

Robert jerked forward, as if awoken. "S-sorry."

"I'll be fine, Dad, I promise," Rainbow said softly. "I appreciate that you're trying to look out for me and everything, really, I do, but you know there's something as too much worrying, right? Not gonna lie, it'll get kind of lonely without you around, but I'll manage. I don't want to distract you from your work, so please stop worrying about me, okay?"

Robert opened his mouth, then let it close shut. He smiled. "You can't stop me from worrying," he joked. "That's just part of being a dad. But you're right. You'll be fine. I trust you." He shook his head and let his smile grow wider. He gave the little pony a pat on the head. "You're an awesome kid, you know that Dashie?"

"Yeah, I know it," she said smugly, ducking away from Robert's hand. "So, when do you start?"

"Next week, Monday, so we've got some time to spend together. Anything you particularly want to do?" Robert took another bite of his cake. "Maybe a new trick? Or do you want to rent a movie?"

"Actually, I kinda, uh, well, I kinda want to try writing a resume. I read yours earlier, and I was hoping you could help me with mine."

"Wait, you're writing a resume?" Robert asked.

"Yeah. I was think about getting a job too. You know, to help with the house and money and stuff."

"Let me worry about the finances, Dashie. I can handle all of that."

"But that's not fair! I'm old enough work too, aren't I? It's not fair that you have to work all the time, and I can just hang around the house. Why can't I get a job too?"

"That's real sweet Dashie, but I really don't think we'll find any business that hires ponies." Robert shook his head and chuckled, lifting his cup to his lips. As he set it back down, he smiled at the young pegasus on the other side. His smile disappeared.

Rainbow had stuck her chin out fiercely, but even as she did so, everyone could see how her lower lip trembled. Her eyes were downcast, staring into the ground. Her ears laid flat against her head as her wings folded closer over her, like a feathery blanket.

"D'aww."

"Neil, did you--"

"Nope. You heard no--"

"Wait, I didn't mean...," Robert was saying. He had gotten to his feet but stopped short of approaching her, leaving a small distance between him and Rainbow. "Dashie, I didn't mean...I just...I mean...I'm so sorry, Dashie. I shouldn't have...I..."

The decorated table had disappeared, replaced by a simple coffee table. The dining room became a living room.

"It's okay, Dad, really. I get it."

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said..."

Another transition. Rainbow Dash had disappeared. Robert now sat alone on the couch with his arms crossed, staring at a mug partially filled with murky liquid. His lips were twisted in a sorrowful frown.

He got to his feet. Holding the half empty mug in both hands, Robert left the room with Eva and Neil following close behind. They stopped in front of a flight of stairs. Once again, Robert frowned.

"I'm sorry," the two heard him whisper. Robert lifted the cup, grimacing as the drink touched his tongue. The cup was lowered, empty, and Robert brushed his lips against his arm, leaving a dark stain on the sleeve.

He turned away from the stairs and started walking down a familiar hallway instead. A few pictures hung on the wall, too blurry to interpret. At the end of the hallway were a pair of sneakers, a coat rack, and a door. Robert set his hand on the door handle and pulled the door open. He stepped outside in his socks, leaving the door opened.

The moon and stars shined from above, illuminating the night. Robert stared out into the evening sky, ignoring the growing dampness of his socks as he stomped through ankle-high grass.

"She wants a job." With his hands deep in his pockets, Robert swung his leg like a pendulum, kicking up loose stalks of grass. "She wants a--"

"Dad?"

Robert stopped swinging. Rainbow Dash was at his side, hovering at eye level. Her frown mirrored his own.

"Dad, are you okay?"

"Yeah, j-just need a little fresh air." He sniffed. "Listen, Dashie, I'm sorry, I--"

Robert's stagger cut off the rest of his apology as Rainbow plopped herself onto the man's back, her legs wrapped tightly around his shoulders.

"It's fine," she whispered. "I-I get it. I'm not like everyone else."

Robert shook his head. "It's not fine. I need to make this up to you. I don't know if I can, but I have to try." He reached behind him and took hold of the pony hanging on his back, lifting her over his head and setting her against his chest. Rainbow gave him a sleepy glare that quickly dissolved as she yawned and settled into his arms, snuggling against him. Robert gave her a tired smile and, with a grunt of struggle, he began to head back inside.

Even as their overgrown lawn threatened to trap his stumbling feet and trip him, Robert continued to smile.