• Published 7th Jun 2013
  • 1,112 Views, 35 Comments

To See Her One More Time - TheMessenger



A dying man's final wish: to see his daughter one last time. Can the science of Sigmund Corp help him? A crossover with To the Moon

  • ...
6
 35
 1,112

Chapter 5

Chapter 5

There was a click followed by a quick blinding flash. Several smaller flashes followed shortly as Robert tried his best not to squint in the midst of the camera shots.

"Never gets easier," the portly man wearing a blue suit muttered to him. "Cameras has to be the worst part of the job."

"Worse than the paper work, Mr. Mayor?" Robert whispered back with a small grin.

"Feh, you'd be surprised."

The mayor let go of Roberts hand and turned to the large crowd in front. "Fellow citizens! Thank you for all you time and efforts! This airport is testimony of the continual growth of our fair city and the citizenship of her people. I would not only like to thank my friend here personally for generously donating land for our purpose but for everyone, every single hardworking citizen, for making this project possible. People!" The official gestured behind him, where hard-hatted workers were already helping themselves to the barbecue. "Your tax dollars at work!"

Several people chuckled softly while Robert noted others deepened their frowns. If the mayor noticed these cynics, he didn't show it. "Enjoy the day," he finished and stepped down from the podium before the air could be filled with the shrill cries and questions of reporters.

"Huh, so that's how he got an airbase in his backyard. He donated land."

"Well, construction is expensive. As amazing as his house is, I don't think he'd be able to pay for an airstrip straight out
of his pocket," Eva said. "Neil, what are you thinking?"

"I feel like I should be sprouting out some appropriate quote on generosity," said Neil. "But I'm drawing a blank."

""You make all kinds of mistakes, but as long as you are generous and true and also fierce, you cannot hurt the world or even seriously distress her'?"

"No, that's not it."

"'Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing that some have entertained angels without knowing it'?"

"Uh uh. It's definitely not that."

"The wise man does not lay up his own treasures; the more he gives to others the more he has for his own'?"

"No...oh yeah!" Neil cleared his throat. "'I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse'. Oh look!" He pointed past the mayor and Robert toward a large table over which flew a large blue banner with the image of an airplane. He brushed past his dumbfounded partner. "I smell grease and meat!"

"Media's never satisfied," the mayor grumbled to Robert as he beelined to the grill with Eva and Neil following from behind. "You'd think a few statements like that would be enough but no..."

Even as he piled his plate with greasy burgers and sausages, he continued to growl. "I saw those other folk, you know, the ones who kept trying to kill this project. Gotta lot of gale to be showing up here, stuffing their faces. If this weren't a public event..."

A red mess of ketchup spewed from the bottle the mayor held, crushed by his pudgy fingers. The plastic bottle reshaped itself as the mayor set it to the side in favor for a similar bottle, though yellow instead of red.

"I didn't realize there was so much opposition," Robert said as he struggled and fought for the minuscule amount of sauce for his own food. A large line had formed behind him, waiting eagerly for their own plates. Robert seemed to scan over the crowd, as if trying to pick out a wolf from a pack of sheepdogs. His eyes quickly averted as if in shame and instead turned to the mayor. "Why?" he asked.

The politician snorted. "Dunno. Airfields cost a lot of money, even just considering the construction, yeah? Well, we've got opponents of big spending so there's that. Then there the left field, telling me to stop wasting money on this stuff and more on welfare." He shook his head. "Short-sighted, all of them..." He turned to the empty strip behind them. "Everything I said? I meant it all. Too many folks are moving out and not enough are moving in. We've got an estimate that within twenty years, we'll have a modern ghost town on our hands. We need to expand, give reason for people to come here."

"It's a door, a gateway..."

"...for expansion." The mayor patted Robert's shoulder. "Glad you understand."

Robert nodded. "It's more than that."

"Oh?"

"You know that old saying? Leaving the nest?" He chuckled. "I've always thought that humans wanted to be like birds. Flying and reaching for the skies...that why we invented airplanes and stories about winged animals like dragons, angels, griffins, um..."

"Pegasi?" the mayor offered.

"...yes, Pegasi...Anyways, airports are like big concrete nests and airplanes are like birds. It's a gateway back home. You can always come back home..."

A few moments passed in silence between the two men, moments that Neil eagerly capitalized by screaming "AWKWARD!" into people's reaction-less faces. The silence was broken suddenly by the mayor.

"So, uh...I just wanted to personally thank you for all your efforts in this project. Like, in person personally. I'm sure there's some tax deduction for this sort of thing..."

Robert laughed. "Please. I have all this wide open space, and for what? I'm glad it's being put to some use."

"You did more than that," the mayor argued. "I heard you paid for a portion of the supplies and even took part in the construction."

Robert's brow furrowed. "I'm not in trouble, am I?"

"Well, let's just keep it a secret between us. You did a pretty professional job after all." He pointed a greasy finger at Robert's chest. "I'm guessing you've got some experience in that field."

"Huh?" Robert looked down at his shirt. "Oh, right."

Robert's attire stood in stark contrast with the mayor's formal dress. He wore faded blue jeans and a faded blue T-shirt with the faint remains of some organization's name or logo. It was much like the dress of the the construction workers who were mingled in the crowd of hungry normal citizens and answer-starved journalists. From the edges of the blue shirt came a light faint glow.

"In another life..." Robert muttered wistfully.

"Huh?"

Robert snapped back to focus. He shook his head and smiled. "Have a nice day, Mr. Mayor," he said. "I'll leave the questions to you..." and he left just as dozens of cameras and microphones and voices crowded around the politician.

"Well, he's certainly under-dressed for such a momentous occasion," Eva muttered as she readied her device. "I'm going to charge memento now Neil...Neil?"

She turned around. Her partner had wandered off to...

"NEIL! What are you doing?"

"Mphf?" Neil asked, his mouth and cheeks stuffed with sausages and potato salad. Grease dripped from his lips as he chewed noisily. There was a noticeable ring around him as the others had politely backed away and gave the hungry man the room he wordlessly demanded.

He swallowed. "What does it look like I'm doing?"

"Well stop it. We've still got a job to do and besides, you're still going to be hunger after all this."

"But it's sooo good," Neil moaned. He lifted another sausage to his lips. He took a bite. "Mmm-pfft!" Neil gagged suddenly and clawed at his tongue, spitting out chunks of chewed food. "Bleh! Pickles olives? How-" He turned to his partner. "You," he growled.

Eva merely grinned as she tapped at her wrist. With one last wistful glance at the meat-laden grill, Neil sighed and join his partner.

"That was mean," said Neil. "I'd even say that prank was...tasteless."

Eva rolled her eyes. The world faded away to white.

*****

"Good afternoon. How are you feeling right now."

"Horrible." Robert groaned. "W-where am I? What happened?" His voice grew shaky and he struggled to get up.

The man in the white coat gently push Robert back down into the bed. "I need you to calm down. My name is Dr. Turner. Right now you are at St. Mary's General Hospital. You were in an accident."

"An accident? How-ngh..." Robert grabbed his forehead and groaned. "W-what happened?"

"There was a fire," the doctor explained, making a note on his clipboard. "It's a miracle you weren't burned but you did inhaled enough smoke to receive some brain damage. To what extent, however, is still unknown. You may be experiencing a few lapses in your memory."

"Lapses? What do you-ngh..."

"I understand this can be frustrating but you're still recovering," the doctor said. "I imagine you're suffering from the worst migraine possible. I'll send some aspirin later, once we've confirmed whether or not you're allergic. Don't try to remember," he added sternly. "You need rest, both physically and mentally."

"What am I suppose to do then?" Robert growled. "Not think?"

"Preferably," the doctor answered dryly. "We'll need to run a few scans later to make sure there's no permanent brain damage and to determine just how bad everything is." He jotted down a few notes on his clipboard before continuing. "The nurse will be by shortly with some water. In the meantime, I suggest trying to relax."

The doctor turned away. Robert watched weakly as he left. He closed his eyes and groaned, rubbing his forehead gently.

"Remember kiddies, smoking's bad for you. The more you know."

Eva slapped her partner in the back of the head. "Is this really the time for jokes?"

Neil rubbed the afflicted area. "Apparently there's time for double-standard abuse-ow!"

"Shut up and get to work." Eva gave the hospital room a quick look-over. It was a small private space with an open window. A light breeze blew through, gently shaking the drapes. A small outdated television hung above. A few chairs and stools sat against the whitewashed wall. Nothing stood out, save for a backpack that laid on one of the small armchairs. Eva considered the pack for a few seconds before deciding to examine their client first.

"Do you think this is how Robert lost his memory?" Neil asked.

Eva nodded confidently. "The doctor mentioned brain damage and memory loss. It's a good bet that the fire was the accident he had referred to."

Dr. Watts rubbed his chin. "Hey, if we went back into his memories to the accident and prevented it from happening, do you think that'd fix everything?"

Eva sighed. "It wouldn't work. He might remember the event differently but those memories he lost after the fire are buried too far in his subconscious. We'd need a catalyst, like the roadkill with Johnny Wiles."

Neil wrinkled his nose. "Nuts. What are we gonna do then?"

"The doctor said they didn't know the extent of the damage. I'm hoping that the memory we're looking for isn't lost and we can work with what we've got."

The door creaked open and in stepped a nurse wearing white scrubs. Her grey hair had been tied into a bun and she wore a weary yet genuine smile.

"I brought you some water, dear," she said softly, holding a paper cup with a straw. "Take small sips now," she cautioned.

Robert took the cup gratefully. He hasn't noticed how dry his throat had been until now and he struggled to follow the nurse's advice.

"Thank you," he said when he finished, letting her take the empty cup.

"Don't mention it, dear. If there anything else you need just let me now."

Robert thought for a moment, turning over to his side. "I-is that backpack someone's?" he asked.

"Hmm?" The nurse looked to where Robert had been staring at. "Oh, I believe that's yours. It was in your arms when you were rescued."

"Is that so?" He frowned. "Can I...can I see it?"

The nurse's smile faded slightly. "I don't think that's a good idea," she said. "I'm sure it's difficult trying to remember what happened but you need rest. Doctor's orders."

"Please," Robert plead. "You have no idea how much it hurts, not knowing who I'm suppose to be or...or...please, I just want to hold it, just for a few minutes. A few minutes is all I ask."

The nurse chewed her lip. She looked side to side, then scurried to the chair holding the pack. She picked it up carefully and placed it at the edge of the bed.

"She's totally fired."

"Thank you," Robert said, taking the backpack.

The nurse smiled. "Don't mention it. No, seriously, just push it under the bed when you're done." And with that, she left Robert to his own devices.

Neil tapped his chin. "What's in the box?"

"Bag."

"Hey loser."

Eva rolled her eyes. "Hi idiot. Can we please get to work? If there is a memento here it'll probably be in that bag."

As Eva spoke, Robert began to open the pack with shaking hands. It suffered from several burns and some lingering ash clung to his fingers as he fumbled with the melted zipper. He stuck his hand in and pulled out a scorched piece of cloth. Robert held it up, turning it around in different directions as he examined it. Upon further inspection, Robert and the two Sigmund Corp. employees saw that it was actually the remains of a T-shirt, no longer fit for wearing. An arm was missing and much of the original color had faded, leaving an ugly hue of sickly pale green. There were a few black letters that once spelled something, a name of an organization perhaps, but many of the letters had disappeared.

He turned the shirt over. On the back were more letters, six in total. With a finger, he traced each letter.

"Robert," he muttered. Robert let the shirt fall into his lap as he rubbed his temple. "...tch..."

Robert reached in again and was rewarded a large book. He shook it lightly, letting ash and dust fall over the side of his bed. If it had a title before, it had been lost in the fire.

Eva blinked. "Hold on, isn't that..."

Carefully, Robert cracked open the tome, half-expecting the book to fall apart. To his happy surprise, the book was studier than it appeared. Most of the pages were intact and while the few pages that had words were illegible, the rest were filled with photos that had miraculously survived.

"It's a photo album," Eva noted, stepping closer for a closer look.

She and Robert were disappointed, however, when both noticed that while the photos were not burned, their images had faded. There was a picture of a couple with a young child, their faces gone. There was a young man posing next to a tower, the landmark impossible to recognize. A few blank pages, then a young man, Robert, that was clear, crouched next to a bathtub. There was something in the bathtub next to the man, covered in suds, a dog perhaps. Or perhaps not.

The clearest image was that of a few blue feathers on a table, nothing more. Robert brushed his fingers against the photo next to that one. It was blurriest one yet. It was of...something, Eva couldn't be sure. She could make a few features like eyes, pointed ears, but nothing more. Eva waited for Robert to turn the page but for some reason, his eyes lingered on that picture. He brushed his hand against, as if trying to brush away the blurriness like one would with cobwebs.

"D...dash..."

Robert grabbed his forehead, clenching his teeth to hold in his pained cry. He opened his eyes and the pain faded away. He put the shirt back in the bag, then put it away under his bed as he had been advised. Shutting his eyes, Robert slowly drifted to sleep.

The photo album, however, had been placed on the nightstand. Slowly, Eva approached it.

"Strange," she muttered, tapping at her wrist-device. "There's no reaction."

Neil shrugged. "Guess it's not the memento then. Let's keep looking then. Maybe-WAH!"

Neil grabbed at his wrist. The watch like device was vibrating violently and emitted a high pitched screech that was almost painful.

"Shut it off!" Eva screamed as she tapped at her own.

"I can't!" Neil yelled back. "Something's wrong with the G-diffuser! I'm sorry! I make bad Nintendo references when I'm scared! Wah!"

"Shut up and calm down! Act like the freaking professional you're paid to be!" Eva chided. "I've got this! I've got-"

Neither noticed the faint glow that had appeared around the photo album as everything faded to black.