• Published 7th Jun 2013
  • 1,112 Views, 35 Comments

To See Her One More Time - TheMessenger



A dying man's final wish: to see his daughter one last time. Can the science of Sigmund Corp help him? A crossover with To the Moon

  • ...
6
 35
 1,112

Chapter 17

Chapter 17

"Beautiful day for a race, ain't it?"

"Huh?" Robert lowered his head and turned to the man talking to him. The speaker's face was blurred, but the gaudy red trucker hat he wore was as clear as day, as was his wide girth.

"Yeah," Robert answered, "I guess it is." He looked back up to the sky.

"Worried about the clouds?" The man chuckled. "Don't be, kid. A little rain never stopped a race before. Besides," he continued, pointing toward the white puffy billows floating up above, "those aren't rain clouds. If anything, it'll be nice to have some shade."

"That's nice," said Robert, evidently distracted as he continued to search the skies. His eyes lit up as they fell upon one cloud slightly larger than the rest. He stretched an arm upward and gave it a little wave.

Neil and Eva almost missed a small blue hoof wave back.

"Well, I guess now we know why he kept buying tickets to the Indy 500," Eva said, tapping her chin thoughtfully. "Or at the very least, we know it had to do with his daughter."

"Probably," Neil agreed with a frown. "But why did he buy two tickets? I mean, it's not like the pony can actually use, or even needs her seat. Might as well save the money, right?"

Dr. Rosalene shrugged. "Maybe it's for the memories or something like that. I mean, why do you still keep that silly Christmas mug I got you for your birthday around your office?"

"To mess with other people's perception of time. Also the reason why I never update my calendar." Neil suddenly leapt to his feet. "Hey, I think the race is starting! C'mon, let's see some crashes this time. Hmm, in fact--"

"Don't you dare start manipulating things around here," Eva warned fiercely. "I don't want to waste time cleaning up your carnage. We really don't have the time to mess around right now."

Neil sighed and sat back down. "Fine," he grumbled as the race cars began to line up at the start. "I still don't get the appeal of this."

"Well, Robert seems happy."

"Yeah, well..." Dr. Watts sighed again. "You know, this job would be so much simpler if his wish had just been to become a racer and compete in the Indy 500 or to own a race car. Hey, do you think we could just skip the race?" he suggested. "I really don't think I want to watch another one."

"What if we miss some crucial information?" Eva pointed out. She shook her head. "Just suck it up and hope for a crash."

"Argh," Neil groaned. "I don't know how any person could sit through this thing more than once."

*

"Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, that was so totally awesome!" Rainbow shrieked as she bounced in her seat. "Can we go again next year?"

"We'll try," Robert said with a smile, his eyes glued to the road as he drove. "Tickets are a bit expensive, so we'll have to see. I'm glad you had fun, but could you settle down a bit, please? You're shaking the entire car."

The pony sat still, tucking her legs under her barrel. "Thanks, Dad," she said. "That was the best birthday present ever. You even bought me a poster too."

"Hey, don't worry about. If you're happy, then I'm happy." Robert quickly glanced to the side at the pony beside him before returning his attention to the road. "Hmm."

"Do you need the GSP?"

"The GPS? Nah, I'm fine, we're not lost yet. I'm just a bit tired, that's all." Robert bit back a yawn and quickly rubbed his eyes with his wrist. "We'll have to fine some place to stop for the night."

"Well..."

"No, you're not driving."

"Bummer. What if I promise to obey the speed limit?"

"Absolutely not," Robert replied.

"So don't obey the speed limit?" asked Rainbow Dash with a smirk.

"You're not driving," Robert closed, leaving no room for argument. The pegasus snorted and settled back in her seat.

"Fine," she said. "No hotels, right?"

"No hotels, sorry. Sleeping in the car isn't too uncomfortable, is it?"

Rainbow shook her head. "I'll be fine. Hey, that parking lot looks deserted. Dad? Dad, wake up!"

"I'm up, I'm up!"

The car came to a stop. Robert lowered the back of his seat and looked over to the back where Rainbow was curling up in his jacket. "We'll be home tomorrow before lunch. Anything specific you want for breakfast?"

"Not really," Rainbow mumbled through the makeshift blanket that hid her. "Whatever's fine for me."

"Alright. You sure you want to hold onto your poster? I could keep it up here in front to keep it from getting wrinkled," he offered, reaching under the jacket to scratch the young mare under her chin. His hand returned with a large, rolled up scroll of glossy paper held tight by a rubber band.

"Good night, Dad," Rainbow whispered."

Robert yawned and lowered his head onto the inclining car seat. "Sweet dreams, Dashie."

The poster began to glow as the devices on Neil and Eva's wrists began to vibrate and hum.

*

Robert stood at the room's threshold with his arms crossed and an eyebrow raised. He looked past the walls decorated with posters of sports cars, racers, and jet planes, past the messy floor that was covered with stuffed toys and books, and at the dirty pegasus who hadn't noticed him as she struggled to pull herself inside through the window.

"Need some help?"

Robert winced when Rainbow's head struck the top of the window as she lifted it in surprise. The cold disappointed facade he wore vanished as he rushed to the mare's side and forced the window fully opened. Grabbing the pegasus's sides with both hands, Robert pulled her inside.

"Heh, hey Dad," Rainbow Dash said with a nervous chuckle. She rubbed her sore wings absently as she spoke.

After releasing a breath of relief, Robert's brow furrowed, and he frowned. "Just what were you doing out there? Did you forget there's supposed to be a storm today?" He sighed again. "I know you hate being coped up inside, but, well, it's a storm. I mean, look at yourself." Robert gestured to the leaves stuck in Rainbow Dash's messy mane and the dirt that colored her blue fur gray.

"Uh, well..." The pony began to pout and looked up at the man with quivering eyes. When Robert simply gave her another raised brow in return, Rainbow sighed and stopped forcing her eyes to water. "Bath time?" she said, her shoulders sagging.

"Bath time," Robert affirmed. He pointed behind him with a thumb and said, "Go on ahead, you can clean your room later. We'll have dinner afterwards, and then we'll discuss punishment."

With a defeated groan, Rainbow Dash hovered out of the room, holding her hooves up to avoid tracking mud on the carpet. Robert waited for her to leave before shaking his head and sighing. "That's totally not fair," he muttered as he sat down on the bed. "Stupid adorable pony face, almost got her off scot-free."

The window was closed shut and locked. The books on the floor were placed back on the shelf. Once the toys were put back on the bed, in the closet, and in a little corner, and the floor was cleared, Robert got off his knees and stood up.

"Hmm, I could really go for Italian," he said to himself as he stretched. "Hope Dashie won't mind frozen pizza two nights in a row, I'm way too tired to cook."

Robert exited Rainbow's room and gently closed the door. He made his way toward the staircase when another door cracked open. Rainbow Dash stuck her head out her mane dripping and her fur soaked.

"Dad?" she called, "could you grab me a towel? I, uh, can't find mine."

"Can't fi--aw, shoot." Robert slapped his forehead in exasperation. "I forgot I did the laundry today." He quickly checked the watch around his wrist. "The towels should drying right now, do you think you could soak for a few minutes longer? It won't take too much time, I promise."

"Yeah, sure," the mare said with a nod. "Just, try to hurry, you know?"

"Wet feathers?"

Rainbow nodded again. "I hate them," she said before closing the door. Robert, meanwhile, was flying down the stairs and into the kitchen. The freezer door was flung open, and he swiftly removed a flat orange box from the freezer.

"Preheat to...for...at setting..." Robert muttered to himself as he yanked open the oven and shoved the icy pizza inside. After turning a few nobs, he rushed out of the kitchen and hurried into a different room that was bare except for a pair of large machines and some cabinets.

Both appliances shook and hummed softly as he approached. Opening one of the cabinets, Robert removed a large basket and set it on the floor. A quiet ding came from the dryer as the machine stopped moving. Quickly, Robert opened it, reached in, and grabbed a green towel. The well-positioned basket captured any loose laundry that clung to the dry fabric or that fell out of the dryer as he yanked the towel out.

Robert hesitated, turning his head from the laundry to towards the upstairs, and back to the dryer. "Guess I'll just get the rest later," he decided, getting back onto his feet. He folded the towel in half, hung it over his arm, and ran off, bounding up the stairs two at a time.

"Dashie, I got the towel," he gasped as he leaned against the door and tried to catch his breath. "You mind if I come in?"

"No," Rainbow said from inside, her voice echoing off the ceramic-plated walls.

He opened the door and stepped into the bathroom. The mare raised her soaking head and tried to leap out of the bathtub, only to topple over onto the shower mat.

"Whoa, careful," said Robert as he helped Rainbow Dash back up. "Sorry it took so long," he said as he wrapped the little pony with the towel and began to rub.

"Geez, Dad," she giggled, struggling out of Robert's grasp. "That tickles."

Robert grinned wickedly and lifted Rainbow Dash up. "Aw," he cooed at the bundle in his arms. "You look like a little filly again."

"Dad..."

"Man, I wish I took baby pictures. You were so adorable when you were small."

"Ngh, please stop."

"Yep, those were the good old days," Robert continued teasing with a grin. "Where did all the years go, when I could hold you with one arm?"

"Hey, do you smell burning?"

"And now I need t--"

Neil and Eva watched as the cheeky grin Robert wore disappeared and his eyes grew wide with panic instead. With Rainbow still tucked in his arms, he rushed out, leapt down the stairs, and sprinted as fast as he dared while carrying a pony into the kitchen, sliding to a stop in front of the oven.

Placing Rainbow in the floor and removing the towel from her, Robert swiftly wrapped his hands with the fabric and threw the oven door open. He instinctively raised his covered hands over his face to protect himself from the billow of smoke and heat.

He met the heat from the oven, but the smoke was absent.

"So, pizza tonight?"

Robert groaned. "You got me," he said, shutting the oven. "Though, thanks to you, dinner's going to be a little late."

"That's okay. Can I have the towel back?" Rainbow asked, shivering. "Still kinda wet here."

The man dropped the towel onto the pony's head who gave a surprised shout when it landed. As Rainbow dried herself, Robert left the kitchen and returned to the laundry room. The washer had also stopped.

The basket was quickly filled to the brim. The dryer was refilled with wet clothes and was rumbling once more. With the basket in his hand, Robert headed back upstairs.

"Can I help?"

Rainbow sat at the top of the stair case, waiting patiently for Robert to join her.

"What happened to the towel?" he asked, shifting the heavy basket.

"It's already back in the bathroom," Rainbow explained. "You want me to take the other one there too?"

"Nah, I got it. I could use some help opening the door though," Robert said, nodding to the room at the end of the hall. Rainbow saluted and hovered over to the door. Even with her hooves, it didn't take long for her to press the handle down. A simple kick with a hind leg later, the door opened, and both she and Robert entered together.

"Thanks," Robert said, dumping the basket's contents onto the bed. He grabbed the nearest shirt and quickly folded it.

"No problem," said Rainbow. The pony sat at the base of the bed, next to the man. "You don't my help for this, right?"

Robert shook his head. "That's alright, I can handle this, but I'd love the company." Another folded shirt joined a growing pile. "So, any reason why you thought sneaking out and flying in a storm would be a good idea?"

"Huh? Oh, that." Rainbow Dash grimaced.

"What, you thought I'd forgot?" Robert said with a little grin. "I'm not mad," he assured, taking a moment to give the pegasus a soft pat on the head. "I'm just a little curious."

"Well, I thought I'd try clearing out the storm," Rainbow said, rubbing the back of her head and looking to the side.

"Clearing out..."

"Yeah, you know, like in the show."

Robert's fingers fumbled with a pair of slacks. "Oh," he said after a moment of silence. "Um, why?"

Rainbow shrugged. "Eh, I just wanted to see if I could. It's a little harder than I thought it'd be. Um, I didn't do anything wrong, did I?" she asked nervously.

"No, not really. It sounds awfully dangerous though, so I'd rather you didn't." Robert looked away from his chores and stared down. "You were careful, right?"

"Yeah, aren't i always?"

The confident smirk Rainbow wore won her a chuckle from Robert. "Well then, how'd you get so dirty?"

"Urgh," the pegasus groaned. "Please don't make me explain, it's downright embarrassing."

"Fair enough," Robert conceded with another short laugh. The chortle soon disappeared and gave way to more serious features, however. "But seriously," he began, "I'm not sure messing with the weather around here's such a good idea, might disrupt eco-things and stuffs. I mean, maybe a few times for practice," he continued as he began to roll socks. "And if there's an emergency, but you probably shouldn't try to make every day a sunny one, you understand?"

"Yeah, I guess that makes sense," Rainbow said. "I can live with that."

"That's good. Hey, uh..." Robert took a deep breath. "Dashie?"

"Hmm?"

"I know we haven't spoken much about the...your origins." He flinched as Rainbow looked up. "Anyways, I just wanted to check up on you, make sure you're doing already with...stuff."

"I'm okay."

"You sure?" Robert asked. "I mean, I'm only bringing it up because you mentioned it, and I just wanted it to make sure that, well--"

Robert stumbled forward as Rainbow Dash latched herself onto his back. "I'm fine, Dad, I promise," she whispered. "It doesn't matter where I came from. I don't really care about that anymore, I'm here now."

"Dashie..." Robert muttered softly.

"Dad? I smell smoke, for real this time."

"Oh thank God," Neil said as Robert ran out of the room, with Rainbow still holding on him, leaving behind a single, loose, blue feather. "I thought I was going to drown in cheese."

"Well, at least you had the decency not to interrupt," Eva commented, rolling her eyes as the discarded feather began to glow.

*

Robert twirled the blue feather between his fingers. He tapped his foot anxiously. "Hurry up, Dashie!" he called. "We don't want to be late for the flight show."

"Pfft," Rainbow Dash scoffed as she flew to Robert's side. "Me, late? Please, I could get to the field in ten seconds flat." She spotted the feather in the man's hands. "You still haven't thrown that away?"

"Hey, it's my lucky feather," Robert protested. "And anyways, as fast as you are, it'll take at least a half an hour to get there by car."

"We really need a faster car. Hey, can I get my own next year?" Rainbow asked.

"Eh, we'll have to see." Robert looked down at his wristwatch. "We'd better get going soon, if we want to be there before all the good souvenirs are gone." He took a step toward the door when there was a loud knock. Both he and Rainbow Dash froze, their wary stares focused on the door.

"Dad?" Rainbow whispered, trying to catch Robert's eye.

Property swallowed and slowly lifted a finger to his lips. "Go to your room," he hissed quietly. "Close the door and keep quiet. I'll let you know when the coast is clear."

The pegasus nodded, confirming that she understood, and flew off. Once Robert heard the door close upstairs, he took a deep breath and cleared his throat.

"Who is it?" he called, keeping his voice calm and steady. "We're not expecting anyone tonight, so you probably have the wrong house."

"That is fine," came an elegant yet soothing female voice from the other side of the door. "May I come in."

Robert quickly shut his gaping jaw and shook his head. "Um, w-well," he stuttered, running his fingers through his hair frantically. He turned around and looked toward the upstairs. With his hands still in his hair, Robert clenched them into fists.

"Hello?" came the warm voice.

"Y-yeah, give me a second." With shaking hands, Robert unlocked the door and took hold of the nob. Grabbing hold of his wrist with the other hand to steady it, Robert pulled back and opened the door. His eyes grew wide and his mouth fell open.

Before him stood a slender majestic mare, as tall as he was. Light seemed to radiate from her entire white coat, from the tip of her spiraling horn to the ends of her beautiful white feathers of her wings. Her colorful mane and tail seemed to shimmer and flow despite the lack of wind. A golden crown adorned her head and similarly golden coverings clothed her hooves. She gave Robert an assuring smile, motherly and kind. The one Robert gave in return began silly, became strained and forced, and soon disappeared entirely. He quickly took a step back, giving the mare room to enter. His jaw dropped once more as he saw who was with her.

A purple unicorn with a simply styled mane that was cut straight at the ends and had streaks of pink in a mix of blue and purple hair. Following behind her was an orange mare wearing the end of her blond mane in a ponytail and had the top of her head covered by a wide-brimmed cowboy hat. Another unicorn enter next, this one pure white and with her violet mane in perfect graceful curls. Shuffling right behind her was a light-yellow pegasus, her long pink mane covering part of her face as she looked around her nervously. The final pony to enter was a bright pink one, her puffy pink mane, which was like cotton candy, bouncing as she bounced over the threshold.

"Ooh," she chirped as she looked around. "So this is what an alien house looks like on the insi- OH MY! YOU HAVE A KITCHEN!" The pink pony's bounce grew in frequency. "I'm starving, are you starving? I can make us some-"

The orange mare in the cowboy hat stuffed a hoof into her excited friend's chattering mouth. "Easy there sugarcube," she said. "We're jus' here fer Rainbow, so we ain't got no time for any eatin', no matter how hungry we are," she added over the rumble of her own stomach.

Robert seemed to have finally recovered from the shock of his guest's sudden appearance. His mouth had been closed, and he was no longer staring. "Uh, we have some left overs from dinner last night. You're more than welcome to some," he offered calmly.

The pink pony suddenly disappeared. Her voice could be heard from the kitchen as she commented on all the different appliances.

"Ah'll go keep an eye on her," said the blond orange pony said with a southern drawl, hurrying toward the sounds coming from the kitchen. As she passed by, she politely tipped her hat in Robert's direction. Robert nodded back. He watched her disappear out of sight, then returned his attention to the remaining ponies.

"I'm quite surprised," the tall crowned one began. "I had expected a little more resistance to us entering."

"Why? I know who you all are," Robert said. He leaned against the wall and stuffed his hands into his pockets.

The tall one nodded. "Ah, so you do know then."

"That you are fictional characters from a children's TV show, then yes. Otherwise why you are all here I've no clue."

Robert's shrug was careless, but his eyes refused to meet with any of the ponies.

The tall one noticed. "Oh, I think you know," she said. Robert said nothing in response.

"Um, excuse me sir," the purple unicorn was now saying, "But from what we could figure out Rainbow Dash should be here. Is she?"

Slowly, reluctantly, Robert nodded. "She's up stairs in her room."

"In...her room?" the white unicorn suddenly spoke up, her eyes widening in curiosity and surprise.

"Yes, Dashie is in her room. I wasn't sure who was knocking and didn't want her to be spotted," Robert explained to the floor.

"Dashie? My my, you're that friendly with her already?"

At the white unicorn's words,Robert's hands balled into fists. "Friendly?" he snarled through gritted teeth. "That's not even the beginning of it. And I should be asking you ponies as to what the hell you did."

The tall one raised a brow. "You see, my student--"

"I know who she is, get to the chase," Robert interrupted impatiently. His arms were crossed over his chest, and his frown grew heavier.

The purple unicorn and the tall one gifted with both horn and wing exchanged looks. The little unicorn bit her lip as the tall one continued:

"Yes, of course. Ahem, she was working on a spell to help the weather team with some storm development," she explained. "Well, they made slightly too large of a storm, and when Twilight used her magic to try and dispel it, it shot a lightning bolt meeting her magic. Rainbow Dash was unfortunate enough to be within reach of the blast, and it engulfed her and sent her to, well, here. So, we are here to retrieve her, simple enough I'd imagine."

Robert raised a hand to stop her. He opened his mouth.

"Dad? Is everything alright?"

A collective appearance of shock overcame everyone's features as Rainbow Dash's voice echoed down from the floor above. Every pony stared at Robert, giving him the same confused and worried look.

The orange mare in the cowboy hate had returned to the room. "Uh... 'scuse me sugarcube," she said hesitantly. "Did ah jus' hear Rainbow call ya 'dad'?"

The tall mare with the crown narrowed her eyes slightly. "Care to explain?" she said softly.

Robert opened and closed his mouth. He looked at the tall white horse, at the ponies surrounding him, at the ceiling above, where he knew Dashie was waiting. He sighed, unclenched his fists, and gestured toward the interior of the house.

"Go to the living room and make yourself comfortable," Robert said. "I'll be right down with her."

Before anyone could respond or object, he left and headed up the stairs. Each step was slow and heavy and reluctant, but they were steady and constant; there were no pauses or breaks in between steps as Robert marched upward. Loud echoes rang from under his feet.

"Dad?"

Robert lifted his head. At the top of the stairs sat the pegasus with the mane that was colored by the entire rainbow. She stared at him with curious eyes.

"Yeah Dashie," Robert said without interrupting his stride, "I'm coming up."

He stopped just short of the very last stair. Robert bent down onto his knee so that he stood at her eye level. Rainbow Dash tilted her head to the side and frowned, waiting for an explanation. Her cerise eyes found the man's own. Robert looked away.

"Listen, we...we need to talk," began Robert. "Your friends are here. I think they're here to, well, take you back."

"Hold on, wait, hold on." Rainbow Dash shook her head and raised a hoof. "Slow down. What do you mean, my friends?"

"You know." Robert rolled his hand around as he shrugged to explain. "The ones from the show," he blurted out after a moment of inner deliberation.

Rainbow lifted an eyebrow. "The ones from the show," she repeated slowly. "As in, ponies from the cartoon?"

Robert nodded. "Yeah, they're downstairs waiting for us. Well, you mostly."

"Right, hmm." Rainbow closed her eyes and nodded seriously several times. The tips of the pegasus's lips began to tilted upward. The rest of her mouth followed suit as she started to snicker and shake her head.

"Very funny, Dad," she said. "Oh, those ponies you saw on TV are actually real and they're downstairs in our living room." Rainbow let her eyes roll up toward the ceiling. "Real funny. For a second there I almost thought something serious happened. Almost." Rainbow grinned. "Better luck next time."

In spite himself, Robert smiled back. It was a weak smile, one that did not seem completely genuine. No humor could be found behind it. "Well, let's go downstairs and meet them," he said, standing up. With one last chuckle, Rainbow followed him downwards.

"So," the pegasus was saying as Robert led her to the living room, "do you think there's still time to buy some souvenirs before--"

"DASHIE!"

Robert stepped to the side as the pink pony jumped and tackled Rainbow Dash.

"Hey, get off me!" Rainbow cried, pushing the pony back. Her eyes grew large at the crowd of ponies in front of her. She took a fearful step back and crouched down, with her wings spread out. Her intimating display was ruined by the sudden increase in her breathing and the panicked look she wore.

The relief and joy the ponies had on their faces vanished and were replaced with looks of confusion and concern.

The pink pony's cotton candy mane seemed to deflate and flatten like a pierced balloon. "Y-you...don't recognize me...do you?" she sniffed.

Robert tried to looked away, to look at anything besides the worried features of the ponies before him.

"No, or any of you," Rainbow said, her eyes darting between the ponies. Her voice shook, betraying her nervousness.

"Dashie," Robert whispered, gently placing a hand on her shoulder. She looked up, and her shaking slowly subsided. "Take a seat please so I can talk to them."

Rainbow Dash nodded and backed away slowly from the colorful ponies until she bumped into the recliner. Carefully, without breaking her stare, she climbed onto the chair and took a seat. After sharing one final look with Robert, she folded her wings against her side and began to relax.

"How long ago was she sent over here?" Robert asked.

The ponies began to look at each other and mutter quietly amongst themselves. The purple unicorn cleared her throat, and all the other ponies became silent. "About fifteen days ago," the unicorn said. "Why?"

Robert's lower jaw dropped. "Fifteen days?" he mouthed. He reached forward and grabbed the corner of the coffee table. The yellow pegasus extended a hoof timidly, but Robert shook his head and got back up.

"Well," Robert said, fighting back a bitter smirk, "it's been a lot more time than that here."

"How long?" asked the purple unicorn, leaning forward.

Robert hesitated. "Fifteen years," he answered, placing extra emphasis on the word years.

The mouths of all the ponies, save for Rainbow Dash and the majestic white mare, fell agape.

"That don't es'plain why she don't know us," the pony in the cowboy hat exclaimed.

"Well, that's the thing. When I found her, she was, well, just a filly," Robert explained.

The orange mare blinked. "Come again?"

"From my math, I think she was no older than four or five years old," the man elaborated.

At this, even the white winged and horned mare looked surprised. "You mean to tell us, that you have been taking care of Rainbow Dash for fifteen years, since she was a small filly?" she asked.

Robert nodded. He looked over to the cyan pegasus sitting in the recliner. She blankly stared back, her features displaying no discernible emotions.

"We...she is..." Robert began to gasp and choke. He shut his eyes. A tear escaped and slowly rolled down his cheek. "I know it's not true...God, I wish it was, but--"

"I understand," the crowned pegasus-unicorn cut in. She wore a stern but thoughtful expression on her face. "The 'dad' now makes sense."

Robert said nothing in reply. He finally sat down, taking a seat on the follow in front of the table. A few ponies stared, but no one spoke or brought Robert's shaking to attention. In silence, he rubbed his eyes furiously.

"So what's supposed to happen now?"

Everyone looked at Rainbow whom had spoken. From her, Robert turned to the mare in the golden crown and shoes. She remained expressionless and unreadable.

"Well, it's quite simple," she finally said. "Twilight?" The mare turned to the purple unicorn whom instantly perked up at the mention of her name. "Do you still remember that memory spell? From the Discord incident?" she asked.

The unicorn gasped in understanding and nodded immediately. She leapt up from the couch and onto the floor and began to approach the recliner Rainbow laid in.

"No, wait please," Robert suddenly pleaded, climbing to his knees. He turned to the large white mare as tears cascaded down his face. His breath came out as gasps. "Just, give me a moment with her please," he begged. "All I ask, since...since this is the last time we'll see each other."

Without taking even a moment to think, the crowned pony nodded. Robert hurried to Rainbow's side. The blue pegasus, shook her head fiercely as she fought back her own tears. Robert knelt and held her hoof in his hand.

"Dashie, my little Dashie," he said softly. "I love you with all my heart. You have done wonders to open me up from the man I once was. You..." Robert gasped and shut his eyes. He let go of Rainbow's hoof and dug his finger nails deep into his palm. He took a deep breath and continued.

"... you have brought me so much joy in my life that I can't possibly ever thank you for."

Rainbow's struggles ceased. Her tears fell freely. Her shoulders quaked as she sobbed, even as she tried bracing herself with her wings. Robert began to shake too.

"These fifteen years we have had together, talking, playing, flying; all those have been so special to me. I just want you to know, I'll forever love you. It doesn't matter if we aren't biologically related, or of different worlds. I don't care what you may ever think of me, or if you ever even remember me, but right now, you being my Dashie, I want you..." Robert gently poked the pegasus in the chest with a finger. She lifted her heavy head and looked up at him. "...to know that fact. If there is ever a problem that happens, and you need me, don't hesitate to find a way to get me, okay?"

His laugh felt faked and rigid, without any true mirth. Rainbow Dash tried to smile, but her attempt was just as pathetic as his.

"D-d-do I have t-t-to go D-D-Daddy?"

Robert bit his lip and broke eye contact. Slowly, he nodded and began to rise. He fell back as Rainbow leapt forward and threw her forelimbs over his shoulders. She buried her face into his neck, hiding her tears. With quivering hands, Robert returned the embrace.

"It's your actual home, Dashie," he whispered. "You need to go back to where you belong."

"I belong here, with you!"

Robert shook his head forcefully. "No, you don't," he managed to choke out. "You're limited here, only able to fly around the house. You have no friends or other ponies to relate to. I was only taking care of you until this time would come, but I-I never thought it would be so painful."

Minutes passed, the silence broken only by the sobs from the man, the cyan pegasus, and the rest of the ponies. No eye in the room was dry.

"I love you, Daddy." Rainbow finally said, tightening her grip.

Robert's eyes squeezed shut and leaned forward. He brushed his lips against her forehead. "And I love you, my little Dashie."

They separated. Rainbow lowered herself to the ground. She did her best to remove the trails of tears from her cheeks, only for those to be replaced with new ones. Robert took a few steps back, making way for the purple unicorn whom approached. Her horn glowed with violet light as she sniffed and wiped her own eyes. She gave Robert a questioning glance. With evident reluctance, he nodded. The unicorn drew nearer.

"Wait!" Rainbow suddenly exclaimed, taking a step back as everyone stared at her. The purple unicorn looked to the tall crowned one worriedly,

"Rainbow..." the purple unicorn began.

"I-I just want to grab something before I go. J-just hang tight."

Before anyone could protest or speak, Rainbow flew off. Robert had enough time to shrug when the ponies all turned to him for an explanation before the pegasus had reappeared with a shoebox in her front hooves. She hurried to the coffee table and tore out a sheet of paper from a notebook. With a pen in her mouth, she began to write.

"Princess," the purple pony said, "is this--"

"It's fine, Twilight," the crowned mare replied, nodding toward Robert. The man released a sigh of relief.

Rainbow set the pen aside and flipped the written message over. Slowly, the slowest Robert had ever seen her move, Rainbow returned to the purple unicorn's side. Tears continued to cascade, but she wore a smile, a small sad grin, the same defeatist one Robert wore.

"I'm so sorry Rainbow," said the purple unicorn, light still emitting from her horn. "I...I honestly wish there was another way to do this. I wish I didn't have to do this. But..."

"Can't...can't he come with me?" the weeping pegasus pleaded weakly.

"Rainbow Dash," the crowned white mare said as her student shook her head. "He cannot join you in our world much like how you cannot stay in his. This was all never meant to be, and the world around us was not made to house you. And yet..." The mare looked toward Robert, smiled, then began to look around the living room, her gaze falling upon the framed photos of the man and the pegasus. Her eyes lingered on the one on the coffee table. The odd duo smiled back at her, their faces were illuminated by the glow of several candles sticking out of a cake.

"... and yet," she continued, "something beautiful happened here. Something I cannot explain in full. When I realized where you ended up, I expected the worst. I figured you to be ruined, tainted and tarnished from this world's cruelty. But now, I see that it's quite the opposite. This here, this man that has raised you, shows me that you were in good hooves. Or, hands as it were," the crowned mare amended, gesturing toward Robert's forelimb appendages.

Rainbow sniffed and rubbed her nose, but her shoulders no longer shook as she stared at the majestic mare. The mare smiled and gave Rainbow a little nod before returning her attention toward Robert.

"I cannot speak for you," she said to him, "but from what I see in front of me, the amount of love you both share and have shared together, tells me that you raised her as if she was your own. Even with the obvious differences, you still raised her un-biased toward her species or her origins. You raised her as your daughter." Her warm smile wavered. "Which only makes this entire ordeal so much worse.

"So I must say to you, dear sir, please do not hold my student accountable for this," the crowned mare said. "It was never her, nor anypony elses intention to cause this much hurt to either of you. If you must blame somepony, I would ask you to blame me. I am the one that helped bring them here, to take Rainbow Dash back to her home... away from here."

Hands rose and covered Robert's face. Water leaked through his fingers as muffled sobs and choked breaths escaped.

"Just how could I blame anypony for sending Rainbow Dash here?” he gasped, bringing his hands back down to his sides. He cleared his throat and sniffed. "These years have been the best fifteen years of my life. If anything, I feel the opposite; I wish, have to thank you, Twilight, and the rest of you. Thank you for what you did, unintentional or not. Thank you, for all that came out of this. Thank you, for all my years, my life, and my love...with D-Dashie."

The purple unicorn looked away, refusing to look at the sobbing man as she too began to cry anew. The tall mare got up, first giving the unicorn a soft muzzle of comfort before approaching Robert.

"No need for thanks, good sir," she said. "Instead, I wish to thank you for taking care of one of my little ponies. She would have never made it without someone much like yourself."

Her long horn became to shine brightly. She closed her eyes and leaned forward, touching the glowing horn to Robert's forehead. The man blinked as she stepped back, the light from her horn disappearing. The mare smiled and lowered her head.

"Thank you."

The purple unicorn lifted her head. "Thank you sir," she struggled to say.

The orange pony in the cowboy hat stepped forward. "Thank yah," she said in that southern accent.

"Thank you, darling, for caring for our Rainbow Dash," said the white unicorn with the curled mane.

"Um, th-thank you," the yellow pegasus said softly, shyly peeking through her long pink bangs.

"THANKS!" shouted the pink pony as she bounced over and swung her forelegs around Robert's waist. Robert laughed and turned his head, nodding at every pony until he reached Rainbow Dash. She smiled back.

"Are you ready now, Rainbow?" the purple unicorn asked after awhile. Rainbow Dash answered with a nod. She closed her eyes as the unicorn's horn grew bright. With one final look at Robert, she leaned forward, touching her horn against Rainbow's forehead. One more tear fell from Robert's eye as a blinding light filled the living room.

The light faded, and the room remained. The only inhabitant was Robert, Neil, and Eva.

Robert looked around. The living room seemed barer. The coffee table was less cluttered. The walls had more empty space. Without a word, Robert dashed out and ran up the stairs. He threw open the door leading to Rainbow's room.

The posters and toys had vanished. There was no bed, no bookshelf with old colorful picture books or adventure stories, no corner filled with stuffed animals. Instead, a simple desk, a dusty computer, and an ugly potted plant were there to greet him.

"Whoa," Neil whispered. "You didn't do that, did you?"

"Not me," Eva said, shaking her head. "And if you didn't either..."

Robert turned and started down the stairs. He returned to living room and sat on the couch. He sighed and rubbed his forehead. Something seemed to have caught his eye, and Robert reached forward toward the coffee table, where a strangely familiar book sat.

Robert opened the book to the first page. On it was a picture of a man and a woman holding a baby. They smiled at him, and slowly Robert smiled back. He turned the page, and the next had a photo of the man, woman, and child having a picnic. The next, the trio around a Christmas tree. The next, the three surrounding a cake with candles. In icing, the cake read Happy Fourth Birthday, Rob.

More pictures of birthdays and of holidays, of the happy family of three. Suddenly, the mother and father vanished from the pictures, and the little child was grown up. The boy, now a man, stood in front of fountains, landmarks, and with friends, but the smile he wore was not the same as the ones from earlier. These ones looked forced and unnatural. Robert spent little time on these photos, turning the page soon after a quick scan.

The next page had no photo. Instead, there was a small piece of paper ripped straight out of a notebook. With unsteady hands, Robert picked the paper up and turned it over, revealing the message underneath.

Dad, it read, for fifteen years you took care of me. For fifteen years you loved me, played with me, and made sure I enjoyed my life in a world not meant to house me. I'm not a mare of many words, but even though I told you this in person, I felt you needed a written version of it so you will know it was all real.

I love you daddy. You helped shape me into the mare I am now. I'm not sure what is going to happen, if I will remember any of this or not, but I want you to know that you did a darn good job of raising me, even if I was a bit stubborn at times and short with you during others.

With Celestia's permission, I hope to allow you to keep our photos; our memories, with you so that you will never forget. Again, I love you, and thank you.

Your little daughter always,

Your little Dashie forever,

Rainbow Dash.

Robert set the message down and flattened it between his palm and the album. He reread it once more, and once more, and just once more, mouthing each and every word. Slowly, he turned to the next page, holding his breath.

A young Rainbow Dash, no older than when he had first found her, was there, her smile captured and recorded photographically. More pictures of the pegasus followed, of her drawing, of her reading, of him teaching her to write, of her beginning to speak, of the two making a mess as they battled with a bowl of cake mix, of her struggling as Robert tried to give her a bath. Her first flight, her cutie mark, her first birthday, her attending the Nascar race, a simple photo of a blue feather, her nestled against Robert's chest as they napped...

The next page is blank. Robert ran his hand against the bare page and smiled. Carefully, he closed the album, tucked it under his arm, and got up.

"Thanks, Dashie," he whispered.

And everything faded.