• Published 19th Jan 2013
  • 2,245 Views, 67 Comments

End of The Rainbow - My Name is Josh



How will you be able to study, be in a relationship and have fun at the same time?

  • ...
8
 67
 2,245

CH2: "It's A Cockatrice!"

Chapter 2: "It's A Cockatrice!"

As you walk through the complex hallways of the class building, you began to notice that you’ve been following Dash for like five minutes or so, and people are beginning to stare.

“Uhh, dude. Would you stop following me? People are beginning to stare.”

“What’s your problem, Dash?”

“My problem is that you’ve been following me for like five minutes or so.”

“I’m headed to my next class, Home Economics.”

“That’s you next period, too?”

“Yeah, wait… Did you say ‘too’? You mean we’re in the same class? AGAIN?”

“Yeah.” She deadpanned.

“This is gonna be-“

“Great? Never knew you quite fond of me, new kid.” She said, to which you almost spat out the water you were drinking.

“Fond? What kind of bullshit is that?” You said, acting like you swallowed poison. ‘Fond is actually an understatement. Wait, what the fuck brain?!

You smack yourself in the head. Dash turns to face you,

“Well, we’re here.” She sighed.

“Finally. How convenient.”


You entered the room, which was painted a light shade of pink. There were about four stoves with their own sink and an extra table for extra stuff. You see that there are only two persons inside the room, one which you assumed the teacher, and the other one is the student. She had a bright pink hair and an apron with balloons in it. You’ve also noticed that she was constantly smiling, causing you to smile too.

“I know. Pinkie’s smile is contagious, right?” She chuckles.

“Yeah.” You say, earning the teacher’s attention as well as ‘Pinkie’.

“Hello the-“ The teacher starts, but is cut off by Pinkie.

“Hiya, Dashie! How’s it going?” She speaks in an oddly childish tone, which was odd judging by her age which you assumed was fourteen. She then turns toward you and gasps loudly.

“I’ve never seen you before, are you new here?”

“Apparently I am, Pinkie.”

“*gasp* OMIGOSHTHISISSOMUCHFUNYOUANDIAREGOINGTOHAVESOOOOOMUCHFUNONCEWEGETTOKNOWEACHOTHERANDWEGETTOCOOKFOODANDBLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH-“ Pinkie started rambling endlessly causing Dash to cover her mouth with her hands, but she just keeps talking.

“Sorry about Pinkie. She gets like this whenever she meets new people, especially here in school. She might look like a nuisance, but she is actually a good friend once you get to know each other.” The teacher says calmly to you.

“Thanks, Miss?”

“Mrs. Cake. Just call me Mrs. Cake.”

“Yeah, thanks Mrs. Cake, I’ll keep that in mind. She seems harmless though, and Rainbow said her smile is contagious, to which I strongly agree.” You say to Mrs. Cake who smiles and nods to you, while you pick out which stove you will use.

“Hey, new kid!” Pinkie calls out. “Wanna use the station with me? I’m a great cook!” She says, beaming. You can’t possibly turn down this cute girl right here, right?

“I… I… *sigh*. Okay Pinkie.” You say to Pinkie. Once she hears your words, her smile got really big that you were worried that her head will be ripped in half any second now.

“C’mon, Scarf!” She says, dragging you to her station.

“Scarf?” You were curious about the nickname she gave you.

“Ya know, Scarf. The one that is tied to your left arm.” She points to a navy blue towel on your left arm.

“Pinkie, this is a towel, not a scarf.”

“It looks like a scarf to me.”

‘Fair enough.” You say, avoiding to make arguments with her. Then as you arrive at your station with Pinkie Pie (you learnt her full name by the rambling she was saying to you), a student walked inside. She wears a Stetson on her head, and a cowboy jacket. She also wears the official MHS (Manehattan High School) underneath the jacket.

“Howdy, y’all!” She says in a thick southern accent.

“HI!” Pinkie practically shouts.

“Hi, Pinkie Pah!” She says, to which Pinkie chortles.

“Hiya, AJ! Long time, no see!”

‘She was blind for a long time.’ You laugh, causing all eyes to look at you. Just as you were about to break down, the door opens, revealing Steven, a student that has a green jacket and a purple t-shirt underneath it, and a girl that has a t-shirt that has candies on it.

“Yo, Steven!” You called out, to which Steven nods to. He approaches you with the other two in tow.

“Sup man, I’d like you to meet Spike and Bon-bon.” Both say hi to you. “So, Spike, Bon-bon, this is,”

“SCARF!” Pinkie calls out.

“Seems like you’ve got a pet name, huh?” Steve teased.

“Shut up, I’ll leave you three so you could threesome in peace.” You smirk, but then quietly mouth ‘No Offence’ to Spike and Bon-bon.

You run up to Pinkie, and then ask her what’s wrong.

“Nothing really, just wanted to know if those three are your friends.”

“Well, Steven there is my friend, but Spike and Bon-bon aren’t yet. I just met them. Do you happen to know them?”

“I know Spike, cause he is the little brother of Twilight, the one with the purple hair?”

“Yeah, we’ve met in Physics class.”

“Did you get to talk with her?” She says, wide-eyed. “It’s pretty hard to talk to Twi if you’re new. She’s socially awkward.”

“Not really, cause I fell asleep in the middle of class.” You deadpanned, which made Pinkie laugh.

“Well, if you actually get to her to talk to you, tell me right away. Here’s my number.” Pinkie states her phone number, while you also state yours. You smile as she began rambling endlessly. Something about her makes you happy. Something… wonderful.

You see AJ walk up to Dash and say something to her, causing her to look at you then look away quickly. ‘I wonder what’s up with her?’ You thought.

You feel something prod your side. You turn and see Pinkie really close to your face.

“Uhh, Pinkie?”

“The class is starting, silly!” She said, grinning.

“But there are only like,” your eyes wander around the room, finding only like five pairs of students. “Ten students inside the room.”

“Mrs. Cake doesn’t care if you’re late or not, as long as you make to her class. Those who are late are given punishments, which consist of making a ‘Triple Blueberry Cupcake’ in under a minute. I tell, you making one is hard. Mrs. Cake said I was the only one to be able to make one under a minute. But I’m really sure somebody out there is better than me.”

You smile, knowing Pinkie is humble. You actually expected her to brag about her achievements in her ramblings, but turns out she does not.


The rest of the class was fun, to say the least, when comparing to the last class you had; Physics. You were exhausted but happy. Good thing Pinkie was your partner, otherwise, the room would have exploded, no kidding.

You wave goodbye to your friends. Out of the corner of your eye, you see Dash smiling at you.

‘How uncharacteristic of her.’ You thought. You shrugged it off, thinking it was a trick of light or she was smiling at Pinkie, who suddenly popped up from behind you. She bear-hugged you, causing the blood to rise up to your head and gather there and that is not blushing.

You tap Pinkie lightly as your feel light-headed. You can barely register the touch when you tapped Pinkie.

“Can’t…breathe…me…die…” You groan. Pinkie thankfully released you from her death hug. You regain your vision, but a head splitting headache was felt every time you take a step.

“I think I should probably help him to his next class.” You hear Steven say as you fell at the wall as you took your second step. You felt a pair of hands grab your stomach pulling you up.

“Careful, bro.” Steven said, as he slung your right arm over his shoulder. Then Pinkie went up to you.

“I am really sorry for that. I didn’t know.”

“Its okay, Pinks. There is no way you could have known.” You tried to comfort the girl. Then Pinkie hugged you, this time, gently. She released you and giggled. You chuckled and went on your way.


Your headache was gone by the time you reached your next class, Biology. You entered the room and noticed the room was deserted.

“Huh?” You glanced back and forth from your schedule and the wall clock. “The class starts at 13:00, and it is 13:05. So I am five minutes late. So where is everybody?” You asked yourself.

“Um, excuse me.” A weak feminine voice rang out from behind you. You turned around and see a pale, pink-haired girl that wears a yellow jacket. She has half of her face covered in hair. Her eyes meet yours. Her eyes are just like ice- cold, beautiful and… fragile. She then quickly averted her gaze back to the ground. “Could you please make way for me? I-if you don’t mind.” She said, stuttering in midsentence.

“Uhh, sure.” You stepped inside to make way for her. She quickly made her way to her chair, avoiding eye contact. She sat down and proceeded to look down at the ground, again. Looking at the clock and at the shy girl, you figured to be friends with her. You went up to her chair and said “Hello!” in the most cheerful voice you could muster. This seemed to work as she lifted her face to face you. You again make eye contact causing her to quickly glance at any other object besides you.

“Hello, my name is…”

“Uhh, what?” You said, not really hearing her name.

“Umm, my name is Fluttershy.”

“Didn’t quite catch that.”

“Umm, I’m F-Fluttershy.” She said, no, whispered. Only loud enough for you to hear.

“Uhh, nice to meet you Fluttershy! My name is-“ You were once again cut off by a group of students entering the room, followed by the teacher.

After all of the students took their seats, the teacher cleared her throat.

“Hello everyone! My name is Nightshine Rosabell, or you can call me Ms. Bell or just Bell.” She smiles warmly to the students.

“I expect all of you to have fun in my subject. Now, onto the lab!” She shouts, gleefully. All of the students stood up and followed Ms. Bell outside the room.


A large laboratory, with a zoo. How large is this school?!” You thought as you stare wide eyed at the large laboratory filled with scientific instruments. The room was white while the floor was black. There are several computers on the table at the left side of the room. Beside the computers are shelves filled to the brim by stacks of papers and other stuff. On the right side were jars of, you don’t even wanna describe that. “It is like Frankenstein’s lab, only cleaner and with more appropriate lighting.” You mumble.

“Alright everyone, what is this?” Ms. Bell pointed to a picture of a strange creature. It was a lion with the head of chicken, wings of an eagle, and a tail of either a lizard or a snake. It had spikes lining its spine. Also its size is about two times the size of a normal lion.

Everyone gasped at the picture.

“Cockatrice.” You say. Then almost a dozen pairs of eyes looked your way.

“It’s a cockatrice.” You repeat, louder than your first try.

“That is correct, Mister?” Ms. Bell asked you.

“Just call me –“

“SCARF!” You were cut off by Pinkie suddenly bursting from behind you. “Call him Scarf.” Pinkie then giggled madly as she back flipped inside the oven (why was the oven open in the first place?) situated beside you. Your left eye twitched as you open the oven once again and Pinkie was nowhere to be found.

“SO, uhh Mr. Scarf, I’d like you to see this.” Ms. Bell beckoned you over.

“Why didn’t the others get to see this?” You questioned.

“Because you’re the only one who got the answer.” She complimented.


On the computer screen was a black-and-white video of what appears to be a CCTV camera. It was showing a cage, containing of what appears to be a… cockatrice?

“Whaa…?” You stuttered, shocked by the video. “Please tell me this is just a realistic animation of a cockatrice. It is just an animation, right?”

“Unfortunately, what you are seeing is a real life cockatrice.” Ms. Bell said in a matter-of-factly.

“I will not believe it until I see it up close.”

“If that is what you wish.”

You walked towards a dark corridor, while Ms. Bell calls the class over. You feel a hand grip your arm. You turn and see Fluttershy blushing.

“Uhhh, it’s scary.” She mumbled.

“Fair enough.” You let Flutters to hold your arm as you continue walking down the hall.

‘Man, this hallway is long.’ You thought to yourself. Every minute feels like an hour. Your heart is pounding with excitement as you are about to see something modern society hasn’t seen for over two hundred years. There have been a few random articles in the internet about sightings of cockatrices roaming the Everfree. You didn’t believe it at first, but you are about to see one right now, you feel a strange mix of emotions, fear, excitement, thrill and childish curiosity of the unknown.


You finally reach a steel door, held shut by a few locks and a fingerprint scanner to unlock it. You notice that your hand is sore. Glancing down, you see Fluttershy’s hand has drifted off course, landing on yours. She held it tight, probably because of fear. Then something pounded on the door, shocking the whole class except Ms. Bell.

“Alright, class. Are you ready to face fear?” Ms. Bell said teasingly. Although it didn’t work on you, it seemed to do its work on Fluttershy, as she almost fainted, but you caught her on time, propping her up with your right hand as your left has her hand.

Another pound on the door.

‘What the fuck is this teacher doing?’ You thought. You glance down at Fluttershy and seeing those blue eyes. ‘Those scared blue eyes.’ You thought. Then suddenly you felt the urge to hug her, but you managed to control yourself.

There was another pound on the door. This time Fluttershy loses it and hugs you tight. You had enough, time to end this once and for all. And you will do it using the power of friendship politeness.

“Uhh, Ms. Bell? Shouldn’t we get a move on? Fluttershy is going to lose it.”

“Well, seems like Flutters got a boyfriend, eh?” Ms. Bell said, causing you to blush. “I’m just kidding. You’re right; we should open the door and see what lies behind it.” She then turns and scans her thumb on the scanner.

The various locks the door had began to move, opening the door then everything went black…

‘racist’

Author's Note:

Sorry it took too long, I was really busy these days and I only got to write because Blacklight was updating. HAHA

So if any mistakes are found, tell me and I will issue a eviction letter for them.