• Published 8th Sep 2011
  • 3,299 Views, 45 Comments

Rarity: Behind Bars - White-pawPony



Will Ponyville's most beloved fashionista survive when she is incriminated and sent to jail?

  • ...
 45
 3,299

A Colt of Many Colors

Rarity was woken up by the sound of a prompting voice. This came from outside of the cell, as an angry guard banged on the iron bars. It was not as if this had been the first time Rarity had been woken today; twice today, early in the morning, her disturbed inmate had filled her ears with frantic mumblings that quite frankly gave the unicorn a chill up her spine.

"Rarity, is it? It's seven o' clock - your recess slot. So get outta bed, or you'll have to stay inside all day! And I thought that suit was supposed to be on you!"

Yawning, and quickly becoming apathetic to the rantings of the jail officials, Rarity stretched. She could feel bones and muscles popping in response to the awful night they'd just had. But Rarity, ever optimistic, put on a smile. A recess? Yes, this might mean some fresh air, and perhaps another chance to make her case to anypony who would listen.

"Just a moment, good sir," she called out in a sing-song voice that most likely confused the guard. She grabbed the orange outfit in her mouth and slowly unzipped it - a terribly complicating task to a unicorn with no magic. Just about to step into the cloth, she turned to the guard who was impatiently staring at her. Scrutinizingly, she said, "I would rather you not watch me while I am dressing!"

The guard's mouth dropped open a moment, struck dumb. "Ma'am... ma'am, we don't usually wear clothes," he pointed out lamely.

Sighing deeply, Rarity frowned and put on the outfit. "Really, how uncivilized..."

The place where the 'recess' was held looked very much like a cage. And really, it was. Although the inside was nice enough, with patches of grass mixed with patches of concrete and picnic tables, it was surrounded by two fences of iron chains, both with barbed wire at the top. For any cocky pegasus who decided that their chance at freedom had arrived and tried to fly off, a meeting with an electric shock was imminent. The laser triggers were set all around the roofline of the place; any motion sensed, and an electric field would turn on.

Rarity strode in, and squinted at the light of the sun. For a moment, she felt ashamed that at any point in her life she would be viewing her good Princess's masterpiece through the confines of a prison, before remembering that she was not to blame.

Luckily, there was no sign of Spider Sage and her gang. Another confrontation with them was not desired. Instead, the room was filled with about seven other ponies. This must be quite a large establishment, Rarity thought to herself, to be housing this many... undesireables.

Slowly striding through the giant birdcage, Rarity made her way to the center of the room. She looked around, seeing about five tables. Suddenly, her gaze stopped, as her eyes bore into a certain pony. Rarity was unsure of why she found this stallion so very interesting, but she simply could not pull her sapphire-blues away.

Well, if I've learned anything from befriending Twilight... it is that everyone deserves a chance at friendship.

Cautiously making her way over, the mare saw that this stallion was a pegasus. His coat was a grey, almost blue color, and his mane and tale a darker shade of grey. His prison suit looked worn, as if he had been in the facility quite a while, and his demeanor, at first threatening by his fierce stature, was very... lonely.

I shall make Pinkie Pie proud.

"Ahem... hello, there! Do you mind if I sit down?" she asked with a smile.

Without a hint of surprise at this intrusion, the pegasus looked up slowly, with only his eyes, at the white mare. He stared at her for a good long while, causing Rarity to laugh nervously.

"I'll take that as... a yes?" she sat down on the white stone bench and gave another smile.

The stallion grunted.

"Allow me to introduce myself - my name is Rarity. It is a pleasure to meet you..."

Looking at the mare, and glimpsing her sincerity, he replied, "Stone Blade," as he looked to the side.

"It is very nice to make your accquaintance, Stone Blade."

There was a long, awkward silence. Rarity, still smiling, shuffled her feet. Finally, Stone Blade turned to face her. "What is it that you want?"

As she was about to reply, Rarity caught sight of the stallion's eyes, and stopped. These eyes, though filled with sorrow, were the most incredible, indescribable color. Immediately, Rarity sympathized with the pony. "I came over because you looked like you needed the company... just as much as I did," she told him, quietly.

Stone Blade's hardened face melted. Why was this mare being so generous to him - to his feelings? "...Thank you..."