• Published 25th Jan 2013
  • 597 Views, 10 Comments

Dark Light - KRissCHu573



Love has two questionable rules. 'Love knows no bounds.' Does it? 'Everything is permited in love and war.' How far can that be taken?

  • ...
 10
 597

A recipe for disaster

Dark Light



Chapter 2: A recipe for disaster




Twilight was on a grand stage in Canterlot. On her left were her brother Shining Armor and Cadence, and on her right – Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. Spike and her pony friends were cheering for her, right in front of the stage. Behind them was a giant crowd of cheering ponies. Flashes from cameras, confetti, fireworks, and loud sounds of joy flew through the air.

Then Celestia stepped next to her. Both of them exchanged approving nods, before the Princess turned to the crowd. Gracefully raising her hoof, the goddess of the sun made everypony quiet down.

“Welcome everypony!” The alicorn’s voice echoed in thousands of ears. “I present to you my star pupil, Twilight Sparkle – Successor of Star Swirl the Bearded and greatest sorceress in all of Equestria!”

Celestia stepped away, giving the lavender unicorn the spotlight. Cheers and hoof stomps escorted her movements. She waved to the crowd, when all of a sudden Pinkie Pie jumped on the stage.

“Pinkie what are you - -?”

Her words were stopped by the pink mare, who blew a flugle horn in her face.


Startled, Twilight jumped into a sitting position. She looked to her right and saw Shadow Blaze, standing at the door of the bedroom. He held a flugle horn in his hoof. The stallion looked at the instrument, and spoke with surprise.

“Huh, this thing actually works.”

“W-w-whe-re d-id you g-et th-at?” The mare stuttered.

“Some colt 350 years ago. He said it was from some “crystal empire”.” The dragony explained, as he flinched his hooves.

Twilight looked outside of the window, and saw that the moon still reigned in the sky.

“But it’s still night time.” She said.

“Two hours before sunrise. Perfect time to get going.” Shadow replied, and closed the door.

The lavender mare was still sleepy. She yawned, and slowly stepped out of bed. When she was about half way out, her host opened the door again, and asked.

“Should I take this?” he pointed at the flugle horn with his eyes. The unicorn rushed over to him, and yelled.

“No!”

Shadow stared confusedly at the panting mare. Catching her breath, she said.

“Please, whatever you do, don’t take the flugle horn!”

“Okay…” Shadow replied, uncertain what was the deal with the instrument.

In a few minutes they started their journey though the forest. The colt was tasked with carrying two saddlebags. One full of herbs, and daisy sandwiches, the other was filled with gems. As they walked, Twilight was eating a sandwich, and the dragony was munching on a green emerald. Not exactly the perfect breakfast, but it did the job.



--



Spike, Rarity and Pinkie Pie were waiting, several yards away from the edge of the forest, for Rainbow Dash and Applejack to brig Fluttershy. It was seven am, and the sun was just rising. Five minutes later, the two pegasi and earth pony joined the group.

“What took you guys so long?” The pink mare exclaimed.

“Fluttershy was asking her bird friends ‘f they’ve seen Twilight.” The orange mare replied.

“And?” Rarity asked.

“Nothing. It’s like the forest ate her.” The cyan pegasus raised her voice.

“Well in that case let’s get going.” The baby dragon commanded, and turned to face the forest.

But just as he took a step forward, he stopped, and his serious expression turned to a worried one.

“What is it Spike?” Applejack wondered.

The purple lizard pointed at the forest. Everypony looked at the trees. They noticed two ponylike figures. One was pretty big, with a black coat, and fire like mane. The other was much smaller, and purplish in color.

“That’s Twilight!” Spike yelled.

“But what’s that thing with her?” Fluttershy spoke up.

“I sure as hay am not waiting to find out!” Rainbow Dash stated, and dashed in the direction of her lost friend, leaving a multi-colored trail behind her.


“So you are Celestia’s protégé?” Shadow asked.

Twilight nodded.

“After Ponyville, I’m sure the Princess and her sister would like to meet you.” The mare said.

“Sister? I never heard of Celestia having a sister.” The colt put on a confused look.

“Yeah…113 years before you were born, they ruled equestria together. But the younger sister – Luna, envied Celestia, because ponies played and thrived in the daylight, but slept in the night, and were afraid of it. She felt unappreciated. So one day she refused to lower the moon. Celestia tried to reason with her, but with no effect. Luna was corrupted by dark magic, and became Nightmare Moon. In order to save Equestria, Celestia was forced to use the Elements of Harmony to banish her sister to the moon. That was the image of a mare you referred to last night.” Twilight explained.

“Aha, but, why is it gone now?” The dragony asked.

The mare was more than happy to continue the history lesson.

“A thousand years after her banishment, the stars helped Nightmare Moon escape. She threatened to plunge the world in eternal night, but me and my friends stopped her. By using the Elements of Harmony we managed to cure her of her madness , and turned her back to Luna. That happened five years ago. Now, she co-rules with Celestia over Equestria once again.”

“I see. Surprising how much can one miss while living in a forest.” The colt chuckled.

The unicorn did so herself, and tried to reassure him a bit.

“Oh don’t undermine yourself. To have known Star Swirl the Bearded personally, that’s quite the honor. And preventing the gates of Tartarus from opening is no small feat.”

“I guess so.” Shadow shrugged.

The next moment the two laughed together. Without any warning, a colorful blur came out of nowhere, went behind them, turned, and grabbed Twilight Sparkle, carrying her away from the forest.

“Twilight!” Shadow Blaze shouted, and galloped after them.

He was still in the tree line, so he couldn’t use his wings, which allowed the attacker to increase the distance between them. At first Twilight was in shock so she shrugged, and closed closed her eyes shut. But after hearing a familiar voice, she reacted.

“Twilight, are you okay? Did that guy hurt you?”

“Rainbow Dash?”

“Yeah, it’s me. Don’t worry you’re safe now.”

“But I wasn’t in danger.”

“What?” The cyan pegasus was confused.

She landed next to the gathered ponies, who immediately caught their friend in a group hug. Joyful squeals, and questions if she was okay filled the mare’s ears.

“I’m fine everypony, thanks to my friend.” She said.

“Friend? You made a new friend, and you didn’t tell me?!” Pinkie exclaimed.

“Well I met him last night, so I couldn’t have possibly told you.” The lavender unicorn tried to explain.

“Who was that with you Twilight?” Rainbow asked straight ahead.

“That was my friend Shadow Blaze. He is a dragony.” The mare gave her friends a warm smile.

“What’n tarnation’s a dragony?” Applejack wondered.

“He is half dragon and half pony.” Twilight said.

Everyone’s jaws hit the ground.

“When could have a pony and dragon even got to…you know?” Rainbow blushed a bit, as she gave her question.

The lavender unicorn rubbed her chin and answered.

“If I’m to be exact, about 898 years ago.”

Puzzled looks demanded an explanation.

“Oh right, he is immortal like the Princesses.” The mare tossed that out lightly.

In a few moments the gawking stares began to disappear. Spike was the first to break the silence.

“So, a half dragon, half pony? That is so cool! I think I’m going to like him.”

“Oh, oh, oh I just have to become friends with him! Thank you for bringing him Twilight!” Pinkie followed, and hugged the purple mare.

In the next moment, the sky above them darkened. They looked up, and saw a ginormic set of dragonic wings, blocking the sun. Their owner retracted them to his back, and dropped like a boulder. Hitting the ground, he made a thick cloud of dust. Once it cleared, before them stood a figure, whose size was more than intimidating. He took a step closer to them, leaving four deep hoof holes in the ground. The five mares, and dragon’s eyes widened at the sight.

‘Look at him, he’s all muscle, those mane and tail are like actual fire, and the sun’s reflection on his scales matches his eyes so well…’ Rarity thought, not noticing herself quietly say. “Hello handsome.”

No one but Spike heard her. The little dragon put on a grim expression, crossed his arms, and muttered to himself, unheard by anypony.

“On second thought, I don’t like him.”

The dragony’s furious eyes found Pinkie holding Twilight, and slowly spoke.

“Put…her…down.!”

“It’s alright Shadow, they are my friends. You know, the ones I told you about.” The lavender mare talked him down.

In an instant the enraged stallion before them disappeared, leaving a calm colt, whose face was colored by a smile. Once the pink mare let her go, Twilight cleared her throat, and started the introduction.

“Everypony meet Shadow Blaze.”

After which, she pointed at each of her friends as she introduced them.

“This is my assistant – Spike.”

The dragon had his arms crossed, and had put on a frown, for reasons unknown to anypony.

“Spike be nice.” The purple unicorn nudged him.

“It’s alright Twilight, I guess he doesn’t want a treat.” The dragony said, as he took a hoof sized amethyst out of his saddlebag, and waved it in front of the small lizard’s face.

Spike’s eyes widened, removing his frown. The dragon looked at the stallion, then at Twilight, and asked.

“Can i?” After a nod from the mare, he took the gem, and took a bite. “Mmm, it’s delicious!” He exclaimed after swallowing.

Then the lavender unicorn continued, pointing at the orange mare.

“This is Applejack.”

“Howdy.” The earth pony greeted, taking her hat off.

Shadow returned with a light bow.

“And this is--” Twilight was cut off by a pink blur.

In the blink of an eye, the hyperactive mare was on the dragony’s head, and loudly said.

“Hi! I’m Pinkie Pie! We’re gonna be best friends forever!”

“Okay…” He worriedly said, as his neck bended under the ponies weigh.

“Pinkie!” The lavender unicorn exclaimed, as she grabbed the pink hurricane in a magical aura, and took her off the stallion, who sighted in relief.

“What?” The captured pony asked.

“You’re going to freak him out more, that he did you guys.” The purple mare explained.

“Alright…” Pinkie sighted in defeat, and calmed down…a bit, enough for Twilight to release her.

With that done, introductions continued.

“This here is Fluttershy.” She pointed at the curbed yellow pegasus, who barely uttered a squeal. “You have to excuse her. She is a bit frightful around new ponies.” Twilight explained.

“Especially if they are so intimidating, and part dragon.” The cyan pegasus stepped in.

“And that’s Rainbow Dash.” The lavender mare almost sighted.

“Fastest flyer in all of Equestria.” She did not pass up the opportunity to gloat.

“Right…, and lastly--”

“Rarity.” The fashionista interrupted. She stepped closer, and reached out her hoof, while saying. “ ‘Tis a pleasure to meet you.”

“The pleasure is mine.” He calmly replied, gently took her hoof, and kissed it like a well mannered gentlecolt from Canterlot.

A strange sensation came over the white mare. She gave out a sound which was somewhere between a squeal and a gasp, and fainted, with what seemed like a smile on her face. Shadow just stood there dumbfounded. He slowly raised his hoof, pointing at the collapsed unicorn, and asked with worry in his tone.

“Is she going to be alright?”

“Yeah, she’s fine.” Applejack said, as she picked her friend up, before continuing. “She does that quite often.”

“Alright, now that that’s done with, let’s head over to Ponyville.” Twilight said, and everypony, dragon and dragony followed her.

Spike ran up to her, still munching on the amethyst, and gave her a little report.

“Twilight, you should write to the Princess, and tell her you’re okay, because she’s worried sick about you, but she couldn’t search for you, because she is caught up in the negotiations with the gryphons.”

“I’ll make sure to do so Spike.” The purple mare replied.

While Pinkie was keeping the dragony busy, and Applejack was trying to keep her from becoming full on Pinkieactive, Fluttershy was following silently, and Rainbow Dash was helping the reawakening Rarity.

“Way to go on making first impressions Rarity.” The winged pony teased.

“You’re right darling, I just don’t know what came over me.” The stylish mare didn’t even bother on defending herself from it.

Seeing that the white unicorn was an easy target at the moment, the rainbow maned pegasus decided to joke a bit more.

“Well who could not feel a little disfocused around a stallion like him. I mean, tose mane and tail look like they can burn you. And those deep burning eyes, matched so well by his scales, which cover a body, for which athletes dream about throughout their entire carriers.” The winged mare dazzled off.

Waking up a bit more, Rarity did not allow this joke to slip by. She smirked, and spoke.

“Why Rainbow Dash, are my ears deceiving me, or are you hitting on the colt as well?”

“Wha-? No, no! Of course not! What makes you say that?” The pegasus’s face turned bright red.

“Well, the way you described him sure was a nice indicator. Not to mention you’re avoiding straight conversation with him.”

“Oh I’ll give you a straight conversation.” The rainbow maned pony muttered to herself before yelling to the front.

“Hey Fluttershy.”

The butter colored mare turned around.

“Come here to help Rarity, the slow motion is driving me stir crazy.”

“Yes, it’s the slow motion.” Thw white unicorn chuckled.

To that Rainbow Dash returned a huff. After the two pegasi changed places, Dash flew next to the dragony’s head, and began a “straight conversation”.

“So, how’s your flying?”

“What do you mean by that?” Blaze was confused.

“I mean, how good are you in a race?” She cleared out.

“Well, I don’t want to brag, but I won a medal in the hardest discipline at the flight Olympics 500 years ago.” He said with a proud grin.

“O’ really? And what discipline would that be?” Her eyes widened.

“Smart flying. To win, you had to rely on your wit, not just speed.” The dragony explained.

“Seriously?” The pegasus asked, before bursting into laugh. “What, you guys were trying to keep up with the breeze? Or wait, wait, you were probably playing a game of chess or something, and you had to go from a certain point to another in the time the quickest of those games ended? I mean, you guys must have been mighty slow back then, if you had to use wit to win flight competitions.” RD said between her mocking laughs.

To that Shadow gave an angry frown. Then an idea popped up in his head.

“If you’re so smug, perhaps you’d like to try your luck pipsqueak?”

The pegasus ceased her laugh, got up to equal eye level with him, and closed the distance, until she was but a muzzle away from his face, and slowly asked.

“What did you call me?”

At that point everypony was gawking worriedly at the stallion. Nopony spoke to Rainbow Dash in such manner so lightly. They thoughts that Shadow has made an attempt for a joke, and was going to back out, but instead the dragony asked for more.

“You heard me pigeon. Do your best against an old timer, who you’ve just offended, and defend your title of fastest flyer. Or are modern pegasi nothing more than overgrown chickens, which quack as much as ducks?”

No one made a sound after that impressive taunt. Dash broke the awkward silence.

“You are so ON!” The mare almost shouted in Shadow’s face.

“Alright you guys,…” Twilight stepped in between the two. “…first let’s get to Ponyville, inform the Princess that I’m not lost, or worse, relax a bit, and tomorrow you can settle your score on the Clodsdale track, sound good?” The lavender unicorn asked.

The two flyers exchanged death stares as they said in union.

“Fine.”


They made it to Ponyville in about half an hour. Everypony, and other were silent, but Pinkie, who rambled around.

“Oh, oh, I know! Now we can have four parties! A “welcome back Twilight” party, a “welcome to Ponyville” party, a “congratulations on winning” party and a “don’t worry, losing isn’t so bad as long as you have fun” party!”

By the time they reached the library, their guest had gathered lots of terrified looks from the townsfolk. Right before they entered, the pink hurricane gasped.

“Four parties?! I need to get things ready! Oh, how can I manage all of that alone in so little time?”

“I can help you Pinkie.” Fluttershy offered. “There’s a recipe for lemon flavored muffins I wanted to try out, so I could bake it for my animal friends.”

“Oh thank you so much Fluttershy, now let’s go.” The pink mare grabbed her yellow pegasus friend, and left a trail of dust, leading to “Sugarcube Corner”.

“I guess I’ll go too. Two Pinkie parties in one day, and a race in the next will require quite the bit of rest.” Rainbow Dash said, stretching her back and wings, before she took off into the air.

“And I’ll go pick myself a fitting outfit. I do want to look good at any occasion.” Rarity said, as she nuzzled in the stallion’s side.

He quietly laughed through his teeth. Unnoticed by them, Spike yet again crossed his arms, and put on an angry frown. After half a minute of physical contact, Shadow lowered his head to Twilight’s, and spoke, with his teeth still shut.

“This is getting awkward…”

“Alright Rarity, that’s enough.” The lavender unicorn pulled her friend away.

“Yes, you are right. I’ll meet you two at the party. Ta ta.” The white mare said, as she fixed her mane.

Then she winked at the stallion, turned around, and trotted off to her boutique.

‘Man…coming here is becoming to look like a bad idea.’ Shadow thought.

“Let’s get inside, shall we?” Twilight suggested.

The two dragonic beings followed her. Once inside, the the mare instructed her assistant.

“Spike, keep our guest company, while I write a letter to the Princess.”

After receiving a salute from the dragon, the unicorn went upstairs to get a sheet of paper and a quill. Shadow sat down on the sofa in the living room, under the strict gaze of the purple dragon. This was getting rather unnerving, so the dragony went ahead and asked.

“Is there a reason for your behavior, little one?”

“Listen. You better not get any ideas about Rarity.” Spike said with a serious tone.

“Why would I--, ooooh…” Shadow cnapped into what was going on. “Don’t worry buddy. The bright flashy ones are not my type. She’s all yours.”

“Really?” The dragon perked up.

“Completely. Would you do me a favor, and keep her away from me? That lady creeps me out.” The dragony said.

“Deal.” Spike replied with a chuckle.

He then sat next to Shadow, and spoke with a friendly tone.

“You know, aside from this matter, you’re a pretty nice guy.”

“That’s the nicest thing someone had told me in the last 200 years.” The stallion replied, before the two laughed in union.

Upstairs Twilight was composing a letter to her mentor.


“Dear Princess Celestia,

I wish to ease your worry, by telling you that I am alive and well. Also I’d like to report that while I was in the forest, I made a new friend. He had been living there for a while, and on his own. I was the first pony he had met in decades, literally. The reason for his solitude is his unusual appearance, but despite it, he is very nice. If you go through the scariest of thorns, you can find a lovely bloom. Everypony here is starting to open up to him, some more than others…However, a little friction appeared between him and Rainbow Dash. Nothing serious, just a little squabble about flight racing. They agreed to settle their score tomorrow at Cloudsdale. I’ll try to convince him to visit Canterlot with us on the day after. I’m sure you’ll find meeting him rather interesting.

Your faithful student Twilight Sparkle.

She left her quill in its inkwell, wrapped up the sheet into a scroll, and headed downstairs to the living room. There she found the two dragonic beings in the middle of a friendly conversation.

“So can you breathe fire?” Spike eagerly asked.

“No, I think that’s the only dragon trait I don’t have…not counting the lack of paws that is.” Shadow replied.

The mare cleared her throat, getting their attention.

“Spike send this to the Princess.” She levitated the scroll to him.

“Roger that.” The dragon said, took the scroll, and burned it in a cloud of green flame.

“Now Shadow, hold on to your hooves! You are about to experience your first and second Pinkie party.

The dragony raised an eyebrow.



--



In the Cutiemark Crusaders’ club house Apple Bloom and Sweetie Bell were going over a list of various items, when Scootaloo burst inside.

“Guys! You won’t believe this, but I saw a monster go inside Twilight’s library!” The small pegasus exclaimed.

Her friends looked at her, then at each other, then back at her, before Apple Bloom replied.

“You’re right, we don’ believe it.”

“Are you sure you haven’t been in the sun for too long? I mean it’s pretty hot today.” Sweetie Bell added.

“I’m telling you, I wasn’t hallucinating!” Scootaloo protested.

“Let’s talk about this some other time, now help us pack up for tomorrow’s school trip to Cloudsdale.” The yellow filly said.