• Published 13th Jan 2013
  • 4,621 Views, 4 Comments

Three Cadets - Dangerous_Creature



Twilight Sparkle visits her brother in Canterlot and witnesses more than she expected to. Contains non-sexual disciplinary whipping/spanking.

  • ...
3
 4
 4,621

Three Cadets

Disclaimer: This is a fanfiction; all characters & settings remain property of the copyright owners.

This story involves disciplinary spanking in a non-sexual context. If this is objectionable to you please take responsibility and stop reading now.

It was good to be back in Canterlot.

Twilight Sparkle trotted along streets & avenues familiar since her foalhood in the great capitol. Today she got to indulge in a little more nostalgia than usual because she was alone. While the purple unicorn loved making trips with her friends from Ponyville this rare opportunity to visit Canterlot by herself was refreshing. She'd spent the night at her parents' house, and had an appointment with Princess Celestia that afternoon before she had to catch the train back to Ponyville. That left plenty of time for Twilight to see her brother and have lunch with him before she was expected at the castle.

The hour was a bit early for lunch but Twilight wanted to see where Shining Armor worked. As Captain of the Royal Guard he was a busy pony, but even if he was unavailable to show her around his headquarters she could take a self-guided tour. Being Princess Celestia's personal student lent her an air of authority seldom enjoyed by a filly her age, and Twilight didn't see any harm in throwing her weight around a tiny bit as long as she didn't get in the way of official military business.

Arriving at the gate-house she was greeted with courteous protocol by a pair of guards who recognized her from their Captain's wedding. "Good morning, Miss Sparkle, you can go right in...Captain Shining Armor told us you would be visiting today."
"Thank you, sir's" she replied warmly, giving them each a nod.
The other guard instructed "Straight down the hall, then it will open up into a courtyard. The Captain's office overlooks that square." With plenty of time in hoof she ambled along slowly, lingering occasionally to look with admiration at the historic battle flags & carved busts of past heroes that decorated the foyer & hall. She could see why it was such an honor for her brother to have command of this unit; the Canterlot Royal Guard could trace its history back further than a thousand years. Carefully preserved in display cases were armor & weapons from those ancient days, but they had been cared for so well that they looked ready to be pulled out and utilized at a moment's notice.

At last Twilight Sparkle reached the sunlit courtyard, a small but beautiful expanse of marble paving stones surrounded by columns. Three young ponies stood there at rigid attention...Twilight could tell they were cadets because her brother had once worn a uniform just like theirs. "Hello, my name is Twilight Sparkle. Wonderful morning we're having, isn't it?" None of the three cadets answered...it was then that Twilight noticed they each wore nervous expressions, sweating in spite of the cool morning air. She ventured again "Eh...I wonder if you might tell me where to find Shining Armor...um Captain Shining Armor I guess." An awkward giggle betrayed her lack of familiarity with military etiquette. "He's expecting me." The two colts & one filly all blushed but kept their silence...Twilight felt as if they wanted to answer but were not allowed for some reason.
"Miss Twilight Sparkle I presume?" barked a voice that nearly made her jump. The three nervous cadets visibly flinched as an older, mustached Sergeant trotted up to her.
"Yes, sir" she answered. It seemed appropriate to speak respectfully to him, even though Twilight herself was not in the Royal Guard.
With an efficient click of his hooves the Sergeant told her "The Captain's office is right this way."
Before stepping away to follow him, Twilight turned to the three young cadets and wished them "Have a good day" but to her surprise she heard the Sergeant mutter under his breath "Not likely." A visitor; Twilight decided it was not polite to ask what was going on. He led her up a staircase and knocked on an ornately carved oaken door. "It's open, come in!"

"Sir, your sister has arrived" announced the Sergeant. Shining Armor got up from his desk and thanked his older subordinate before greeting his visitor. Never breaking his stern expression the Sergeant reminded him "It's almost time for...you know."
"I know, Ivory Lance" sighed Shining, "I'll be down in just a few minutes."
"Rather unfair to keep them waiting" admonished the non-commissioned officer, "I could have one of the Lieutenants carry this out in your place."
Shining Armor shook his head. "No, no...it's my responsibility. I'll be there on time." Ivory Lance did not say another word, leaving them with a salute which his Captain returned.

"Twily! It's great to see you, kid! How are Mom & Dad?"
"Oh, they're fine...looking forward to seeing you & Cadance this weekend" answered Twilight as they hugged. "Um...is something going on? Everypony seems kinda uptight."
With a resigned sigh Shining Armor replied "Yes, something is going on...nothing pleasant & nothing you need to worry about."
"Does it involve those three young cadets standing in the courtyard?" Twilight continued to pry, "They seemed really nervous."
"Really nervous...well, they have a right to be" muttered her older brother. "But listen, that's nothing to worry about, just military business. Where would you like to have lunch? I was thinking of bringing you to the Officer's Club...it's pretty ritzy & they have a good band. Or we could go someplace quieter if you'd like to talk."
"Don't change the subject, Mister" Twilight protested. Shining knew it would be difficult to distract her...his little sister was tenacious when it came to information. "What's going on and how are those three cadets involved?'

Shining Armor grudgingly accepted that he would have to explain. "Well...you see, those three broke regulations...and..." he blushed, and found it difficult to maintain eye contact "...they're awaiting disciplinary action."
"Really?" asked Twilight "What did they do?"
"Possession of Contraband & Conduct Prejudicial to Good Order & Discipline."
The younger unicorn scowled "In normal terms, please?"
"They snuck cider into the barracks..." explained Shining.
"That doesn't sound so bad" Twilight butted in.
With a snort to discourage any further interruption the Guard Captain continued "By itself it isn't such a big deal. It could have been handled by the Watch Officer...probably just a slap on the fetlock like marching the square for an afternoon or doing a few extra guard shifts. But they took it too far, had too much to drink and got rowdy. That's the main reason they're in trouble."
Frowning a little, Twilight looked out the office window from which she could see the nervous trio still standing at attention a level below. "What's going to happen to them?" she asked with concern.
Shining Armor clearly did not wish to discuss the unit's unpleasant business during his sister's visit, but he knew enough to understand she would not be satisfied with evasive answers. In the straightforward voice of an experienced commander he said "They are each going to suffer a whipping."
Her jaw dropped. "You do that?" asked Twilight.
"For this offense that is what the Manual of Cadet Regulations & Standards calls for" Shining Armor informed her. "Nopony enjoys this, but that's what they're out there waiting for. And in a few minutes I have to go out and observe the punishment."
"Observe it?" scolded the younger sibling, "You're the Captain, can't you stop it?"
"Why?" he muttered, hoping this would not turn into a huge argument.
Twilight hopped up, putting her front legs on his desk. "Because it's awful! Those cadets volunteered to be in the Royal Guard...they've probably dreamed of it for years like you did when you were that age. While all their friends are out having fun they're spending their time training to serve the realm! Sure they made a little mistake...do they really deserve to be whipped for it? Don't they deserve a little slack?"
"I don't expect you to understand the military, Twily" explained Shining Armor, "we have to hold ourselves to a much higher standard...even the cadets. They knew the regulations and what would happen if they broke them. Better that they learn the importance of following orders now, when the consequences are light, than having to learn in battle."
"When the consequences are light?" Twilight admonished, "Shiny, those are just terrified youngsters out there..."
"Just a few years younger than when you & your friends took on Nightmare Moon" he reminded her.
She continued without taking a breath; "...and now a full grown stallion is going to give them a flogging?"

Shining Armor let out a low grumble. "Twily...it's not like they're going to have the skin flayed off their rumps. We do not use some leather whip studded with metal barbs like in those silly Daring Doo adventure novels you like."
"Daring Doo is not silly" objected Twilight, allowing herself to be side-tracked a little.
Her elder brother took advantage of that, sliding open his desk drawer and laying the actual implement of punishment before her. "It's just a handle with 9 waxed cords, each one knotted a few times. It'll hurt...it'll hurt like Tartarus...but it won't break the skin or do any permanent injury...please trust me."
Twilight relaxed a little as she examined the whip. "You're sure?" she asked "I know it's legal in Equestria, but I've heard terrible stories about floggings. I just don't know how the Princess can approve of this."
"They're her own laws" Shining said softly, "and Celestia trusts we wouldn't do anything to injure a loyal servant in the name of discipline."

Twilight Sparkle took a deep breath. After thinking about it for a few moments she declared "Shiny...I want you to hit me with this."
Thinking the argument was over, the Captain was in the unfortunate position of taking a sip of water when his sister made this strange request. That water was instantly sprayed all over his desk. "What?!"
"Hit me with the whip...give me one good whack." She lifted her tail up to allow him a clear swing.
"No. Absolutely not" answered Shining. "That is too weird. You're not one of my cadets, you're my sister and I'm not going to hit you! Why would you even want me to do this anyway?"
"There is no teacher like first-hand experience" she declared. "One day I may choose to discuss this with Princess Celestia, and I'd like some insight into what I'm talking about. Come on, Shiny, just one stroke for the sake of science."
He shook his head. "You're loony. When we were kids I didn't even like listening when Mom or Dad spanked you for misbehaving. What makes you think I can do it myself?"
This time Twilight rolled her eyes. "That was different! I was a filly...I got into trouble...I'd have done anything to get out of a spanking. But now I'm a grown mare and I'm making a conscious decision in the name of knowledge. Shiny, please give me one whack. Think of it as a practice stroke before you burn up those poor cadets' rumps."
"I won't actually be whipping the cadets" Shining Armor reminded her, slumping on his desk and burying his head under his hooves "that's the Sergeant's job...I only observe. Twily, you are really giving me a headache."
"Only one cure for that" she continued to pester him. "Maybe you could call Sergeant Ivory Lance up to..."
"NO! N-O...I am not having one of my troopers whip my own sister!" barked Shining Armor, "Do you have any idea how weird that would be for everypony?"
"Then I guess it'll just have to be yoOWWWWWWWW!"

Twilight Sparkle's badgering had finally gotten the better of her older brother. In an instant of frustration he levitated the whip, brought it around behind her and laid a single hard lash across her unprepared rump. "Oh...oh, Celestia...owwwww..." Twilight fell forward onto Shining's desk and coughed a few times, finding it difficult to get air into her lungs. For a few moments she was cross-eyed from the pain.
"You okay?" snickered the Captain.
Gasping a few times, Twilight struggled to regain composure. "You gotta be kidding me...that felt like somepony pressed a strip of sandpaper on my behind and ripped it off really fast!" She struggled to stand up; Shining rushed over to help her and was rewarded with a punch in the shoulder. "I wasn't ready for that!" Then she reached back and began to rub her burning rump like there was no tomorrow.
Shining Armor struggled to remain serious but could not help from laughing a bit. "My cadets don't get to decide when they're ready" he chuckled. Still panting for air, Twilight got to her feet, with a little help from her brother. "I don't think the Princess has many advisers that would ask for a whack like that just to understand her subjects better.'
"That probably means they're smarter than me...buck that still hurts!" cursed the purple unicorn. But in spite of the pain she still laughed. "How does my rump look? I can't walk around Canterlot Castle, or see Princess Celestia with a great big red stripe on my butt."
"You can sit on a pillow when we go to lunch" teased Shining Armor, "or I can ask the Officer's Club staff for a block of ice you can sit on."
"Oh don't you dare, Shiny!" she snapped, "Don't you even mention this to your friends...and that includes Cadance!"
He continued his good-natured jest; "Awww, I was really looking forward to bragging to all my friends about how tough my little sister is. Not many ponies would actually ask for a blow with the whip." She punched him in the shoulder again. "Hey, what was that for?"
"Because it still hurts!" laughed Twilight Sparkle, "When is it going to stop burning?"
"It's supposed to hurt" Shining replied. "I'm not going to do it again. You're just going to have to imagine what a full 25 of those feels like."
A little of her mirth dissipated. "So...those cadets are going to get twenty-five lashes?" asked Twilight with concern.
The Captain of the Guard nodded. "Twenty-five for the two privates...the Cadet Corporal gets an extra 5 swats because he was supposed to be in charge."
"I know they did wrong, Shiny, but I can't help it...I feel sorry for them."
"So do I" admitted Shining Armor, "they're scared out of their wits right now, and in just a few minutes they're going to suffer a humiliating & very painful punishment. It would be savage not to feel a little sympathy for them. But please trust me Twily. This is not the first whipping that's been carried out in the courtyard. They'll be okay...they'll carry on and when it's done they can hold their heads high again. They're good ponies and that's what they're trained to do."
Twilight nodded. "I suppose. And I do trust you Shiny...you're a natural protector, you wouldn't do anything to harm a cadet under your command." She put her head under his chin and nuzzled her big brother's neck.

As if on cue, Sergeant Ivory Lance returned. "Sir; it's time." The Captain straightened up, and with a nod handed the whip over to him.
"Twily, if it's all the same to you, I'd rather you waited up here" Shining asked her, "there's no reason you should have to watch this."
"Request denied, Captain" replied the younger pony, "I'm still Princess Celestia's faithful student and it's my duty to observe and learn."
Shining rolled his eyes. "Yeah, I figured you would say that. Come on."

Following the Sergeant, brother & sister came down the stairs and onto the courtyard. It had filled up considerably since Twilight had passed through the first time. The entire Cadet Corps was required to witness the floggings...and a large part of the City Guard was in attendance as well. A few civilians were there too, standing off to the side with looks of worry & concern on their faces. Twilight guessed these were the parents of the young cadets facing punishment today.
"Stay right here" instructed Shining Armor in a whisper, directing his sister to stand near the other civilians. She obeyed, and greeted the parents with a courteous, solemn nod, but did not attempt to speak with them.

With practiced, ceremonial efficiency several troopers went about their duties. A heavy wooden structure had been carried into the courtyard; Twilight surmised that the three unfortunates would be tied down to this for their whippings. Those three unlucky cadets stood in the same spot she had seen them last, but now they were speaking to a military doctor unicorn. Twilight Sparkle could not hear what they were saying, but by their lips she could tell the trio were answering his questions tersely & efficiently. Finally the doctor turned to Captain Shining Armor & gave an affirmative nod. Twilight saw the cadets gulp & tremble a bit more as final approval was granted...this doctor was the last pony who could spare them the penalty they were now to receive.

With a sharp clop of his hoof on marble the Captain called his company to attention. With speed & co-ordination that was almost scary, all the military ponies snapped to rigid, formal position. After a few seconds pause he stepped forward and read the charges: "Cadet Roaming Cloud, Cadet Dimple Dash and Cadet Corporal Springtime Rain, you have plead guilty to breech of Cadet Regulations & Standards by possessing contraband alcoholic beverages in the barracks, and by disturbing the peace while under the influence of said contraband items. Having taken into account your records of service, co-operation with the Watch Officer's investigation and the fact that this is a first offense for each of you I have chosen to offer the option of summary discipline in lieu of courts martial. You have been informed of the punishment should you accept. Cadets, do you accept?"
In perfect unison all three young ponies answered "Yes, Sir."
Shining Armor continued; "Then each of you shall receive twenty-five lashes upon the unprotected rump, with a whip conforming to the Standards of the Cadet Regulation Manual. The Cadet Corporal shall receive an additional five lashes for dereliction of command. Do you have anything further to say before sentence is carried out?"
The Cadet Corporal, Springtime Rain, stepped forward and spoke; "Captain, as ranking cadet I humbly request to take full responsibility. Please allow me to accept all 80 lashes, Sir."
"Request declined, Corporal" answered Shining Armor, "your fellow cadets will have to pay for their mistake as well...and I think you will find 30 lashes quite enough to bear." Although unfamiliar to military tradition Twilight realized this was all customary to preserve the young Cadet Corporal's pride. Nopony had ever expected the Captain to allow his request, but the brave act of making it maintained his honor in the eyes in the eyes of his peers.
"Yes Sir" replied Springtime Rain. "Then please allow me to receive my sentence first, thereby..." his voice cracked, betraying his fear as the awful hour of his punishment drew near, "...thereby enduring the full vigor of the Sergeant's arm."
Shining Armor shot a casual glance to Sergeant Ivory Lance, whose stone faced expression never faltered. "Well Corporal, I'm sure the Sergeant's arm has plenty of vigor to be shared equally, but your request is granted." He leaned in closer to the trembling youths and said softly "Keep your heads high, this will be over quickly, good luck." He turned to the Sergeant again and ordered "Carry out the sentence."

Two guard ponies led Springtime Rain to the flogging frame...he did not resist. They carefully bent him over and tied him down with leather straps. Although fearful tears had begun to build up in the cadet's eyes he did not so much as whimper. A Lieutenant walked around the frame, inspecting the restraints, and finding them to his satisfaction nodded to his superior. With this final confirmation Shining Armor gave the command "Begin."

The arm of Sergeant Ivory Lance did indeed possess considerable vigor, aptly demonstrated by his first swing. A loud crack echoed throughout the courtyard, and with the recent experience of how much that whip hurt fresh in her mind Twilight cringed. She was not the only pony to do so; the parents of the cadets looked on with dismay and even the well drilled military audience could be seen flinching. For his part Springtime Rain kept his composure as well as could be expected. He gasped and clenched his teeth but he did not cry out.
The next dozen lashes fell with no less force but still the young cadet maintained his prideful demeanor. Tears had begun to stream down his cheeks and puddle up on the marble below, testimony to how much pain he was enduring. At last, at the 15th blow a whimper escaped his lips, and a few lashes later Springtime Rain sobbed openly. He did did not scream or beg for it to stop...and when his thirtieth & final stroke fell he still had not.
The guards quickly untied him, and helped the youngster to his hooves, but after that he stood freely on his own. Twilight was very impressed when he turned to Sergeant Ivory Lance and actually thanked him for laying on each blow as hard as the first.

When Springtime Rain had re-taken his place in line Dimple Dash was ordered forward next. Having witnessed her Corporal accept his punishment with honor she could now do no less. She bent over the flogging frame with no urging, and allowed the guards to tie her down with no show of emotion. When Shining Armor gave the order, Ivory Lance began the second whipping.
The filly took her first few lashes bravely, the only weeping that could be heard came from her parents...the cadet's mother weakly repeating "I never wanted her to join...I never wanted her to join" over and over again while her equally upset husband tried to soothe her. Dimple Dash began to whimper a bit earlier than Springtime Rain had, and by her 15th lash she was crying out loud. But again, the young cadet showed courage and never screamed or begged for mercy. When it was finally time to be untied and get up she bowed her head to Sergeant Ivory Lance and Captain Shining Armor, thanking them both for correcting her behavior.

Roaming Cloud did not wait to be called. As soon as his fellow cadet had been led away the colt stepped up to take his position. He was tied down as the other two had been and awaited punishment. When Shining Armor gave the order the whip swung down and lashed his rump, eliciting a grunt of pain from the cadet.
As his whipping continued Twilight took the opportunity to take a few steps to her left and have a look at the pair who had already been dealt with. Springtime Rain & Dimple Dash were trying their best to stand at attention until the ordeal was over, but it was clearly difficult for them. Although their tails partially blocked the view, Twilight could see that both of their rumps were bright pink, and crisscrossed with painful looking red stripes and a few purple welts where the knots had struck. Their back legs quivered, and they flinched every time Roaming Cloud took another stroke of the whip. From her meager experience with one whack Twilight knew the young ponies wanted nothing more than to reach back and rub their burning backsides for all they were worth.

Roaming Cloud was on his 15th lash by now. Although he hadn't made a sound since that first grunt he was twisting & struggling against the restraints more than the two ponies who had preceded him. That was no matter; he could not move more than an inch in either direction, and just as with the other two the whip fell squarely on the most sensitive part of his backside every time.
At number eighteen the Sergeant paused to catch his breath. He said nothing, but exchanged a private glance with the Captain that seemed to say I'm not as young as I used to be. The respite only lasted a few instants though, and Ivory Lance delivered the last seven lashes every bit as hard as he had administered Springtime Rain's first. With efficient speed the guards released with weeping colt, who straightened up, cleared his throat and following the good form shown by the others, thanked his superiors for their efforts.

It was over. Captain Shining Armor faced the three penitent cadets and announced "The demands of discipline have been satisfied, you have all comported yourselves with honor. I trust that this lesson will not have to be repeated. Punishment detail is dismissed." All the ponies stayed at attention though as their Captain, followed by his two Lieutenants exited the courtyard. Twilight Sparkle fell in behind this small procession, but as she left she saw the regular rank & file guard ponies...as well as the rest of the cadets, all break from their formal stances and applaud the two colts & one filly by stamping their hooves on the ground. All seemed right with the world again, as their friends congratulated the three blushing, aching youngsters for taking their punishments so well.

Twilight Sparkle followed her brother back to his office. As soon as the door was closed he opened a cabinet and pulled out a bottle of apple brandy. "After that I need a drink...you too, sis?"
"Alcohol in the Captain's office?" teased Twilight, accepting a crystal tumbler of brandy from him.
"We're not underage cadets" he answered, clinking their glasses together. "This decanter and crystal glasses were a gift from Princess Celestia to the Captain of the Royal Guard."
"I don't remember that" Twilight Sparkle replied, sipping her brandy. It was very good...she wished she could bring Applejack some. "I've been Celestia's student longer than you've been Captain of the Guard."
"You wouldn't remember" chuckled her brother, "it was 700 years ago."
"Yikes! Shiny, these are irreplaceable...you should have warned me!" she exclaimed, setting her ancient glass down with great care. "What if I'd dropped it?"
"I dunno..." he teased, "...I guess we'd have to drag out that flogging frame again."
"Very funny" Twilight grumbled, but she laughed a little too. "I'm just glad that Mom & Dad didn't have one of those whips when we were foals."
"Cheers to that" agreed Shining, lifting his glass for another toast, which Twilight joined in very carefully. "Now didn't I promise you lunch? Let's be on our way!"

THE END