• Published 20th Jan 2012
  • 3,222 Views, 104 Comments

The good of the many - Dafaddah



The return of Luna to Equestria is a great joy to Celestia, but is Luna ready to resume her place?

  • ...
14
 104
 3,222

Chapter 1: Family

Princess Celestia paused before an ornate door in the residential wing of Canterlot Castle, worried for her younger sister. Princess Luna had only just been released from her imprisonment as Nightmare Moon for a week; she was not yet on firm hooves, not emotionally in relation to her elder sister nor in her place in a kingdom so changed during her incarceration in the moon.

For an Alicorn to be unbalanced was not a trifling concern. Being a goddess certainly had its privileges, but at the cost of constant vigilance. Protecting the peace and happiness of the kingdom required absolute self-discipline. The temptation to use magic to do a convenient quick fix every time a problem appeared often led to unforeseen consequences, as did 'disappearing' somepony that had become bothersome to the monarchy or dangerous to their fellow citizens.

Celestia was relieved to no longer be obliged to carry that burden alone. She loved her sister and would have spared the younger princess the weight of sharing it so soon after her return. Unfortunately Celestia was sure that Luna must already have had some perception of the trouble that was coming, trouble that even their combined resources might not be able to overcome.

She knocked on Luna's door. A smile blossomed on her face as she recalled the countless times she had done this so many years ago. A moment later the door opened revealing a smaller dark blue alicorn mare. Luna's face lit up as she noticed and mirrored Celestia's countenance, although the elder princess did not fail to see how fragile and tentative the expression was upon Luna's.

She addressed her sibling in a gentle voice. "Luna dear, do you have a moment?"

"Certainly, Celestia."

She paused for a moment. "Remember how you used to call me Tia? I used to complain to you about it, but I must admit that I've missed it very much these past years. Would you please do me a favor and just call me Tia from now on? It would really make me happy!"

Luna's smile doubled in brightness. "I would like nothing better Tia! Please come in and make yourself comfortable."

She led her sister to some large stuffed cushions near the fireplace. Its cheery glow provided a warm place to sit and light to read by, as evidenced by a book resting open on a short table next to the cushions. Celestia noticed the thick tome, a history of the last century, and joked as she sank into one of the cushions. "I can see you're catching up on recent politics. I hope you chose a historian who sees this absolute ruler with a more sympathetic eye."

Luna responded to her sister's humor. "Indeed. I find myself most convinced of your glorious munificence!" She grew more serious. "Tia, you have moved Equestria forward so much in the last few hundred years. You've managed to build a highly rational and compassionate society while keeping magic alive and even more vital than ever." She looked down with a solemn expression. "I cannot help but wonder if Equestria and you might be better off if... I were still in my prison."

"Nonsense!" retorted Celestia earnestly. "Luna, I can't tell you how much I've missed you, your counsel and your company all these years. Even with the companionship of my subjects, I have been so terribly lonely!"

Celestia looked down at the floor before her folded forelegs. "This past week has reminded me how sweet our lives together were and how empty my life was without you." She raised her head and the expression in her eyes became intense and vulnerable in a way Luna could not recall ever having seen before. "It would break my heart beyond repair to lose you again. So please don't ever speak of leaving me, little sister!"

Luna's eyes grew wide, shocked at the admission. She went to her sister and tentatively placed a single hoof on her shoulder. Celestia wasted no time and encircled Luna in a fierce hug. Both of them sniffled tears of happiness as they enjoyed this simplest of pleasures denied them for so many years.

"I have missed you so much and I... I wish I'd never... oh, Tia! Please forgive me." Luna wept in Celestia's embrace, her chest heaving as she was wracked with sobs.

After a while, the younger princess stopped trembling. Her sister gave her a quick lick on the muzzle just as she had when they were young fillies. It reminded her of their mother doing the same when either she or Celestia was sad, one of the few clear memories Luna still had of her.

"Hush, dearest. Of course you're forgiven. And I want to again rule with you as sisters as we did before, sharing our joys and burdens and living like a family. This means we also need to bring you back into the hearts and minds of our subjects and the workings of the government. I will try to make this as easy for you as possible, but I'm afraid it will be neither simple nor quick to do so."

With one golden hoof she raised Luna's muzzle, to again look into her eyes. "So what do you say, co-ruler and princess of Equestria?"

"I will do my best to meet your expectations and theirs," said Luna with quiet determination. "I won't let you down!" she added firmly, more like the Luna of old.

"That's the sister I remember!" Celestia's expression grew bittersweet. "And I must admit that I am afraid our rediscovered resolve may soon be sorely tested."

Luna was confused for a moment, then her eyes widened as she connected her sister's words with an uneasy feeling she had been having in the past few days. At first she thought it was the result of guilt from what she had done as Nightmare Moon. Now that she could focus more on the feeling she grew increasingly convinced otherwise.

"Tia, it feels like... pressure from outside Equestria's universe. It feels like - a convergence!"

Celestia nodded. "That is what I fear, little sister. And I am not at all sure that this time I can handle it without your assistance. Even together we may not be able to prevent a full convergence. I have just got you back, and already I must ask you to face mortal peril!" She sniffed as tears threatened to flow.

"We have overcome convergence before, and we can do it again! The Equestria you have built is strong and can help; we do not have to face this by ourselves. Together we can surpass any trial, Tia, of this I am sure!" Luna's passion was almost palpable, as was her desire to please the sister who chose to forgive her transgressions.

Celestia's expression brightened, her eyes showing a glint of humor. "Then I suppose we need to get you re-introduced at court. But first," she added with a playful smirk, "we'd better get the snot from all this crying off our muzzles. And my neck!" They shared a quiet laugh and rose up to face the future of Equestria together.