• Published 20th Jan 2012
  • 3,219 Views, 104 Comments

The good of the many - Dafaddah



The return of Luna to Equestria is a great joy to Celestia, but is Luna ready to resume her place?

  • ...
14
 104
 3,219

Epilogue: Fountain and Pen

Prince Blueblood oh-so-nonchalantly trod around the Corner Candy Shop at Castle and Main, and flattened his royal self against the wall. He was breathing hard and his eyes were wide with fear. At the cafe across the street, ponies sitting at tables on the sidewalk were staring at the unusual spectacle.

He peeled away from the wall, and dared poke his muzzle and one eye around the corner to see if he could spot his tormentor. The ponies at the cafe remarked on the wet imprint the soggy colt left on the wall of the candy shop.

The Prince calmed down a bit as he could see nopony suspicious, just the usual pedestrian and aerial traffic typical of Castle street. He began to relax. Maybe it wouldn't happen again. After all as the commoners say: 'Once is an accident. Twice is a prank. Three times and somepony is out to get you.'

'Surely it must have been more than half hour since the second time. Surely!' thought the Prince. The second was precisely half an hour after the first. He knew this because there was a clock tower in the Royal Gardens. It had rung just after each time, causing him to look up from the Royal Fountain.

He had lost his pocket watch at some point between the first and second times, and from his current position he could not see a clock. Stopping a passer by to ask the hour would not do at all! Somepony might recognize him in his sorry state. How could he explain being all wet whilst being out and about the town?

Surely it was more than a half hour now. Relief washed through him like a wave. In its wake came anger. 'If I ever discover who is responsible they will be severely punished,' thought the Prince indignantly. 'Why, I should have Princess Celestia turn him or her into a statue.' He chuckled with glee at the thought, still dripping water on the sidewalk.

The stares from the customers of the cafe had changed from mere interest to amused or (even worse!) pitying. He glared back at them. 'Yes, I must ask Celestia to turn the perpetrator into a statue in the garden.'

The Prince decided to remonstrate these disrespectful ponies laughing at his expense. 'Yes, in the garden.' He chortled. 'In the garden next to...' He stepped down from the sidewalk into...

'... the fountain! Again!' Prince Blueblood spluttered and splashed his way out of the fountain in the Royal Gardens, in a rage. He heard the bells in the clock tower ring.

***

Up in the clock tower, two sisters laughed hysterically as the Prince huffed and puffed his way out of the Garden, mad as the proverbial wet hen.

"Okay, that was fun, but it was the last time little sister. For your sake and mine as much as his. I'll have a talk with him to make sure he understands the new situation in Equestria. I'm sure he will be a more reasonable stallion from now on."

The sisters looked on, chuckling as the Prince stamped around the Castle Grounds, looking to find the pony or ponies that would dare pull such a prank on his royal self.

***

Twilight was walking in a strange room that somehow was familiar, but she couldn't remember why. It was strange in that she saw the other room and her room at the same time, as if they were superposed images. There was a bed, and a dresser/reading stand with a mirror... and reflected in the mirror was her face... and that of a friend... Mary Lachance!

She waved a hoof and saw Mary's hand do the same. The connection wasn't lost!

But it was different, somehow, weaker. She touched her hoof to her muzzle and felt the hard edge of the hoof as well as the soft touch of Mary's fingers. There was a visible difference when her movements and Mary's didn't sync up exactly. Yes, this was a weaker form of exchange. But she could see both universes at the same time, just like in her original dream with Mary.

Both universes at the same time... Twilight suddenly had an idea! She sat at the dresser and opened a drawer. Jackpot! Sheets of paper and ball-point pens. Or was it parchment and quills? She saw both. She grabbed a pen/quill and put a sheet of paper/parchment on the desk/reading stand, and began to write.

Dear Mary,

I'm so happy to see you.

Twilight looked up to the mirror and smiled at Mary, who wrote in her turn.

Dear Twilight,

I am happy to see you too. Please tell me, how are Spike and the Princesses?

Twilight grinned from ear to ear and composed her thoughts. Her quill moved across the parchment.

Comments ( 29 )

Okay folks,

Here is the Epilogue I foreshadowed! I hope it will satisfy those who thought I had left the situation with Prince Blueblood unresolved. :trollestia:

Yes, I had thought to do this Epilogue all along, but due to your comments I expanded the scene with PBB for your reading pleasure. And 'cause Mr. Snooty Snoot McSnootypants deserves it!

But I hope this wraps it all up with a neat bow. While leaving plenty of room for sequels.

BTW FOR MLP CANON FREAKS (and I resemble that remark): This explains PBB's shamefoal fear of water and liquids in general in "Best Night Ever".
So there.

Dafaddah rests his case.

B'awww, that ending is sweet. Thanks for writing such an awesome fanfic, yo!~ Whoa, you're shipping a little hard there, nomsayin'? XDD NOT THAT I MIND HURR HURR *shot* Also, NUUHHH *flails* :raritycry: :raritycry: :raritycry: I think you know which character I am sobbing over here but yeah no spoilers in the comments

Mmm. Blueblood makes a splash. :pinkiehappy:

603120

I see what you mean, (although I had to seek guidance from a wise and wordly offspring of mine to actually help me figure it out.) Many readers of FIMFiction would probably be thrilled with such a dream. For me to have made Mary a brony would have created a lot of scope for some great funny business, but I am actually going for something more serious with this fic, so I had to resist the impulse. And you'll see how important this dream sequence is in following chapters (Chekov's gun at work and play!)

BTW - THANK YOU for commenting! And let me know what you think as the plot evolves.

Dafaddah

Hello. Mythfan12,

Mary works for the president and is a pretty cool person. Just like Twilight, she is a bookworm and so it's natural that she be a Harry Potter fan.

As to the ultimate fate of the sleeping cap, it will probably end up in Celestia's care as she hints at one point that she seems to share your condition. :trollestia:

Dafaddah

Such an epic journey and I loved all the characters ;-; I had many fangirl moments, so thanks for all the wonderful writings!

628145

Dear Nevina,

I hope you enjoyed reading this story as much as I did writing it! :heart:

The ego inflated Dafaddah

Allow me to insert my bike pump into your ear and inflate your hea...ego a bit. Just finished. I really liked the theme you have going here. It's a real pity that there wasn't a crossover but you did the next best thing. At the risk of inflating your skul...ego anymore I look forward to more of your works.

1233439

Ego inflates....

What I wanted to do was a crossover of ideas, not physical substance. This is just one way I thought up to explain why Equestria is rife with parallels from earth and artifacts that are obviously better suited to human usage than pony usage. I intend to revisit this universe at a later time, but right now Renaissance Pony and Mankind Triumphant - Relic are keeping me fully occupied.

Now I have finished and it will stay in my favourites as a favourite. I enjoyed myself, you wrote a wonderful story. I think though, you might want to go through it again. You've got somethings to touch up on, not many though.Best of luck in your future writing. I won't be watching but if one of yours shows up again, I'll take a look.

1320316

Thanks for the comment. It was actually my first and I cringe when I re-read it. But it will get a re-do eventually after I'm finished the two stories I have underway.

1320523
re-do? Why do that?
You have maybe 12 things to fix at worst, just being doubled letters or missing spaces. I don't think that means you need to restart.

1320549

I've caught a lot more than a dozen, but I mean to do a full re-edit (spelling, grammar, poor word choices, awkward sentences, etc.) not a re-write. But thanks for the reassurance!

1320612
Your welcome, good luck. :twilightsmile:

1412139

Small universes, like other small infinities, are quite sensitive about their size. To them size matters, so they tend to try to compensate by buying small red shifted nebulae, being extra loud in the gigahertz band (apparent volume) and displaying characteristics that in aggregate are referred to as "small universe syndrome". :trollestia:

OMG I was right! Luna can slip into ponies' dreams!!! I almost will have do at least a short story based on some of the adventures hinted at in Good of the Many.

Happy Holidays, and check out my thread on Hearth's Warming Eve Carols.

Due to the way you have characterized the ponies I have deemed this story an acceptable addition to the recently formed "Ponies aren't Monsters" group for Equestria did not abandon the humans or wish them harm.

2023008

Thanks. In all my storie, even the TCB ones, the premise of Celestia and Luna's profound benevolence towards all sentient life is a core part of their identity.

So I finished reading the fic. While I enjoyed the fic very much I was kindda let down by the ending. It was exciting but it was also unfufilling. I guess it was just that "the two universes can never be togethet" thing that anoys me a bit =/

Anywho, removing my personal bias from the equasion a thorougly enjoyed the reading and the characters, although some parts were hard for me to undrestand expecialy near the ending whith all the jumps from character to character. Good job either way :pinkiehappy:

2226089

Thanks a bunch for the feedback. I understand about the two universes that can never touch, it was a way of getting cultural and technology transfer happening without either party being fully aware of it.


And I do have to be careful with these transitions. I working on improving that.

VBR/Dafaddah

3620876

Friendship is Interdimensional! :twilightsmile:

4002938

Lawyers! And that's why nobody wants to be the goddess of dreams anymore. Ok, the only ones who want it can't be trusted with it. Kind of like karaoke machines.

4003707
and to think my numbers were very conservative, Celestia's fines and jail time were just from the U.S and U.K (~5.76% of the world's population)

Gets me thinking, how much is their planet worth? Or for that matter the Sun? Because the one thing worse then lawyers is tax collectors, and they WILL bleed you of ALL your money, and come after you even after you die

4177757

It's a universal fact:
0ne person knows loneliness, two people build a relationship, and three or more people breed politics.:rainbowlaugh:

Probably the best Earth/Equestria Contact story that I've read so far. I liked all the characters, particularly Sunset Hoofing.

You also made Blueblood suitably reprehensible to the point where I think that several scheduled duckings followed by a telling-off from Celestia doesn't seem enough punishment. Princess Platinum, who cast aside centuries of tradition to unite with the Earth Ponies and Pegasi to save everypony in Equestria would have disowned him for his treachery.

4181964

Thanks for all the comments on my story. It's been a real kick for me to read your insights into my characters. :twilightblush:

7155490
The 'perceptual exchanges' are based on personal affinity, not geography. This becomes clearer are the story progresses.

9783668
Yep. That was a while back! :twilightblush:

Login or register to comment