• Published 8th Jan 2013
  • 1,052 Views, 21 Comments

Kickstart My Heart - dragonpony111



A desperate mother makes a drastic decision in an attempt to save her young filly.

  • ...
3
 21
 1,052

Chapter 2: December 24th, 2011 (part 2)

“I had an important choice to make today, one that affected me more than I could have ever anticipated. I had to choose whether or not to accept what life had literally dropped at my doorstep.”

After a somewhat bumpy ride down the dirt path, I turn right onto the smoothed paved road, and within a minute the pony drifts back to sleep. For now all I see is the open road dimly lit by my car’s headlights; there was also a bit of low hanging fog which hindered my view of the horizon, causing me to drive a little slower than normal. As I’m driving I can hear the pony snoring contently; I try to ignore it but every time she snores I feel something awful inside of me, as if my heart was slowly sinking into my stomach. It made the fifteen minute drive feel like hours. Along the way I had to stop for a minute to let a small herd of cattle cross the road. I turn to look at the filly who was still sound asleep; she had curled up as tight as she could in my jacket, with her head buried between it and the seat. It was a little cold inside my car as the heater hasn't worked for almost two years now, which doesn't bother me as I tend to enjoy the cold. I just sat there gazing at her; seeing her calm like this brought me relief as I felt my heart rising back up, and a warm feeling spreading throughout my body; because of this I start to reconsider what I’m doing but yet again I still feel that I’m making the right choice by giving her up to a better home.

My almost trance-like state is broken as the rain returns and the sound of the rain drops hitting my car brings me back to reality. I must have been distracted for a lot longer than I thought because when I looked up the cattle were long gone. The rest of the drive was quite dreadful, the sky grew darker and the rain seemed to come down harder and harder as I neared my destination. Eventually though I make it to the edge of my neighbor’s property; his gate was already open which was extremely convenient, especially considering the weather. I drive inside and onto his cobblestone driveway, but as I approach his home I start to feel darker than the sky above me. I put the car in park but as I reach for the keys to turn off the engine, I hesitate, and can’t resist the urge to look back at her at least one more time. I start feeling weird, and these feelings are very strange and distant to me, feelings of attachment; I have known this animal for barely a day and yet I feel as if she was meant to have wound up at my doorstep, as if fate had chosen me to take her in, and was trying to prevent me from giving her up.

After sitting in front of the house for a few minutes arguing with myself on whether or not I can go through with this, my neighbor’s porch light turns on, a signal that he is coming to the door. My breathing becomes rapid as I start to panic, and my mind makes the last second decision that I can’t just let go of her so easily, so I throw the car back into drive, do u-turn, and quickly pull out of my neighbor’s driveway, spinning my tires some in the process. The drive back home oddly enough was almost the opposite of my drive here. The rain lessened as I drove home eventually stopping altogether, and the sky cleared to the point where I could begin to see little patches of blue dot the clouds. For some reason I also started to get excited, about what I couldn’t tell but I just felt like I couldn’t wait to get home, as if I was expecting something amazing to happen. When I get home surprisingly the little pony is still asleep, but when I close my car door as I get out she wakes up, kicks off my jacket, and paces around in the seat, as if she was waiting for me. She lets me pick her up again but she starts squirming around again, so I set her down on the ground to see if she would follow me, and sure enough she does. As I’m walking up to my house I look back to see that her feet are sinking into the mud and that she is struggling to keep up with me, but she looks determined to walk the whole distance. I slow my pace enough so that she is not but a foot away from me, and as slow as it was we eventually make to my front porch. I look down to search for the bloodstains but oddly enough they are completely gone, not a trace of their existence remains. I kick off my sneakers so I don’t track in any mud and I unlock the door.

After I open my front door and walk in, the pony follows me but hesitates for a moment at the doorway before entering. I look at the clock and its eight forty three, meaning there is still plenty of time left in the day. Waking up early combined with all the driving left me sleepy, so I decide to take a nap on my couch. I don’t really have a place to put the pony except back in the box I found her in. She squirms as I lift her and set her in the box but settles down quickly. I then grab one of the throw pillows off the couch and place it under her in the box; her tiny body sinks into as she curls up to get more comfortable. She doesn't fall sleep and instead just looks up at me with a blank look on her face; she is probably either wondering what I’m going to do next or just waiting for me to leave the room. Tired as I am I go off into my living room and throw myself onto the couch. I fall asleep almost instantly and I begin to dream.

Author's Note:

Sorry for another awkward cliffhanger, but due to some time constraints this will have to be a 3 part journal entry, but I promise future entries will be one part. Also I welcome anyone that points out grammar or spelling errors.