• Published 20th Sep 2011
  • 3,321 Views, 38 Comments

The Alicorn's Pride - JuyUnseen



On her deathbed Princess Celestia tells Twilight Sparkle a forgotten piece of history

  • ...
1
 38
 3,321

Prolouge

Author Note: To any readers who are reading this for the first time, allow me to first say thank you for reading. I also wish to warn you that this prologue is by far the weakest part of my story, so I would like to formally ask you to give chapter one a chance. This prolouge is in fact an optional part of the story and has very little effect on the overaching plot anyway. Please don't pre-judge. So, without any further adieu I proudly present, The Alicorn's Pride.

Prologue

All was quiet in the Canterlot royal palace. Guards stood stiff, even more silent then usual, no birds sang, and a Purple mare stood in a hallway looking distraught. The door in front of her opened and the midnight blue head of Princess Luna appeared, followed by the rest of her body.

“Princess Luna,” said the purple mare bowing. The princess looked at her sadly.

“Twilight, I’ve told you time and again to just call me Luna. You’re my friend after all, and you and your friends saved my life before we had even met properly. I’d think after all these years we’d be able to talk to each other as equals.”

“O…okay Luna.” The words sounded strange to Twilight, and to think Princess Luna considered Twilight her equal boggled the purple mare’s mind, “How is she?”

“She says she wants to see you. She says it’s important.” Luna said with a twinge of sadness to her voice. She took a deep breath, then looked up and gave Twilight a little smile as tears formed in her eyes. She started to shake and quickly trotted off to her room. Twilight watched her go, and once the Blue goddess had turned a corner Twilight looked back at the door in front of her. With a deep breath she entered.

The bedroom was large and comfortable, Twilight noticed picture of herself on the wall. She approached the vast bed where a form lay still. A slight cough emanated from the great being on the bed.

“Twilight Sparkle, my most faithful student,” it said “I cannot tell you how happy I am to see you.”

“Princess…” Twilight started to say something but trailed off as a lump formed in her throat.

“Don’t be sad my child,” Princess Celestia said, “I thought you would be happier to see me.”

“Not like this… I… I thought you were immortal.” Celestia let out a weak laugh.

“No, no I’m not. Though it may seem that way to you, after all I am over 3000 years old.” Another weak laugh followed, “I may have power over the heavens, but nopony can transcend time.” She stared into Twilights eyes for what seemed like an eternity. “Twilight, there is something I need to tell you.” Twilight was barley able to hold back her tears; she couldn’t bear to see her mentor like this.

“Anything Princess,”

“When you graduated from being my student, what did I tell you?” Twilight could remember the day clearer than anything. She had examined the memory and memorized every word.

“You said, ‘Twilight Sparkle, I have taught you all that my knowledge has to offer. And though you are finished learning from me, there are always more secrets in this world. Your mind and your capacity for magic are the greatest I have yet to see in a pony, and therefore I offer you your place here in Canterlot as the third successor. When the time comes you will take the place of rule in Equestria, and I hope you will use your power for the good of all ponykind just as I have strived to do.’ You made me the successor to Luna if she ever… leaves.” The dying goddess nodded,

“But I also told you that you are never finished learning, and I have two final things to teach you.”

“What are they?” Twilight asked, curiosity mixing with her sorrow.

“I am going to teach you a piece of history that is unknown too all living ponies save me and Luna.” The goddess took a deep breath, “I am going to tell you my story.” The dying mare took a deep breath and continued, “But not just my story, it’s Luna’s as well. In fact it is the story of thousands of ponies, and the story of legions of griffins. It’s the story of many, many people.” The Alicorn tilted her head forward and rested her horn on her student’s head, as she did the horn glowed with magic and, to Twilight, the room seemed to begin to fade.

“A story of so many cannot be told in mere words. Therefore, I believe the best way to tell you… would be to show you.” The room seemed to change around Twilight, and in the blink of an eye the bedroom had been replaced by the night sky, where a lone figure flew.