• Published 20th Sep 2011
  • 3,322 Views, 38 Comments

The Alicorn's Pride - JuyUnseen



On her deathbed Princess Celestia tells Twilight Sparkle a forgotten piece of history

  • ...
1
 38
 3,322

Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Scar

The Diamond City most certainly held up to its name. Both the name and the city itself were magnificent. Celestia had never been to a place like this before, until now she had thought Trottington had been large, but this place blew away any competition with that feeble excuse for a metropolis. The cavern that made up Diamond City was fifty feet tall at its lowest, and was upwards of two-hundred at its highest point, and that was just on the first level. What’s more the place was built to accommodate those who chose to walk as well as those who flew. When they first arrived, Celestia had been dumbstruck and three days in the magnificent cavern hadn’t changed that.

The griffins, in general, steered clear of the alicorns. They were tolerant of them, understanding that they were here as diplomats, but few of them talked with the visitors. Celestia didn’t mind this though; she enjoyed exploring this place. She visited store after store, monument after monument, and every evening she loved to watch the sunset from one of the many landing cliffs that dotted the side of the mountain. She would sit there and just look out over the desert until one of the guards started to close the gate, at which time she re-entered the mountain city. Cliff has given them the grand tour on their first day there. He showed them the great hall of statues filled with hundreds of marble figures, each a moment from some point in the past forever etched into stone. All together the statues told the story of griffin history. Some depicted great warlords, others battles, a few alicorns and dragons could be spotted in the mix as well. Cliff has also taken them to the Winged Palace, an enormous building surrounded by countless pillars. This building was the home of Scar, the leader of this griffin society. As the days passed Celestia slowly learned her way around the city, and she had even managed to make a few friends along the way. She had astonished some young griffins with her magic, and charmed some of the more friendly griffins into talking. Overall Celestia enjoyed her stay. Luna on the other hand was bored out of her mind.

Luna spent her three days laying around in the room provided to her group. It was sparsely furnished, having only two beds and a couch surrounded by rock walls painted off-white, but it was comfortable all the same. She lazed away the three days spent in the mountain, napping all day, listening to her sister ramble on and on about the city in the evenings, and spent her nights away wishing she could see the stars. She didn’t like it here. Cliff had made them feel welcome, and while the city was impressive it didn’t feel right for her. She couldn’t wait for the day of their audience with Scar, hoping that they could go home after that. She wondered how Celestia could stand it here.

Then again, she thought to herself, ‘Tia has always been good at making friends. Celestia was most definitely the more personable of the two, but Luna had always valued her solitude anyway so she continued to keep to herself throughout the week.

On the fifth day in the city the three alicorns woke early and did their best to groom themselves to look nice. A guard came to get them from their room and lead them to the front steps of the Winged Palace. The stairs took quite some time to climb, but once they reached the top they had no time for rest as they filed into the great building. An entrance hall was there to greet them. It was filled with hundreds of griffins all moving with some sort of purpose, although it was obvious that each one of them had a place to be, they each made room for the assembly of alicorns to pass through. A labyrinth of halls waited for them deeper within the palace, but after many twists and turns they arrived in a circular room not unlike the one of the High Council. Here sat many griffins. There were scholars, soldiers, commoners, and in a high seat that was made more imposing by the enormous wings carved out of the sides sat the most dangerous looking of all the griffins in the room. He wasn’t burley like the guardsmen, nor was he lithe like the griffin scouts. His physical appearance wasn’t what gave him his aura of power; in fact he looked completely average in every way. What made him so imposing was his presence. He looked down upon everything with piercing, calculating eyes. He was absolutely calm. He exuded confidence. He was in control here. After a time this griffin spoke.

“Welcome,” his voice was not loud, but it had no need to be for it had strength behind it, “I hope you have enjoyed your stay in our fair city. My name is Scar.” The three alicorns looked up at him and Sothe gave a respectful nod.

“Greetings Scar, I am Sothe Greatwing,” Said the stallion, “I come on behalf of Councilor River.” The griffin sized him up before speaking again.

“And what brings dear River to command alicorns to cross into my territory?”

“We come with a warning,” Sothe’s voice was strong, “A week ago, by sister in law Luna,” he motioned to the blue alicorn beside him, “Made a grave discovery. The usurper Greathoof is building an army; we believe it is his intent to return war to our borders. River wished for me… for us to bring you this message and along with it offer our services in defending your land. She wishes to make clear that this is not the beginnings of the Fourth Border war, but is a war brought on by the acts of a madpony. A madpony with disregard for your kind.” Sothe finished his little speech and breathed deeply. Scar looked troubled, not flustered or scared, just troubled. He closed his eyes and opened his beak, this time his voice boomed.

“Send a scouting party to the south, if what they say is true, and we have not yet been attacked then the fool ‘Greathoof’ must be wishing to attack Voltag’s forces first.” A group of four griffins to the left of the room stood to leave, but Scar wasn’t done, “Remember. You are scouts. Do not engage, no matter the circumstances.” His orders were unquestionably clear.

“Understood” The leader of the group barked before the four left the chamber. Scar then turned his attentions back to the group of alicorns.

“You three are to come with me.” His voice was no longer booming.

“Of course.” Sothe replied in an even tone.

The Winged Palace had many levels, the meeting hall was on the main floor, and Scar’s quarters were three stories above it on the top floor. The Celestia, Sothe, and Luna were on neither of these floors. They had followed the warlord down many flights of stairs until they found themselves in a stone room deep in the base of the mountain. Here there were tables littered with maps and letters. On the walls hung more maps, alongside paintings of landscapes from around the world. Scar stood at the end of the long central table, and once the alicorns had settled themselves he began to question them.

“Where was the army based when you first saw them?” He asked of Luna.

“They were hidden, deep in the Everfree Forest. A clearing about…” She racked her memories for the details, “Maybe ten miles in. They had tents, and training dummies, and a forge…” She trailed off after the griffin gave her a look that said ‘that’s all I needed to know, stop talking before I force you to’ she looked down at the floor and her sister put a hoof on her shoulder. Scar surveyed a map of the great forest before turning to Sothe.

“What sort of time could a group their size make? How quickly could they cross the forest and make it to the wastes?”

“On a steady march? About four days.” Sothe replied. Scar nodded and returned to his map, but Celestia looked up suddenly.

“But that means they could already be here!”

“If they were here they would have attacked us already” the griffin growled.

“What about Voltag’s people?” Luna asked. Scar looked up from his maps with an aggravated look on his face.

“That was the purpose of the scouting party.”

“You’re not worried that griffins could be dying right…” Celestia was cut off when Sothe fanned his wings and covered her face with one.

“’Tia. Drop it please.” Sothe said, trying to keep his voice steady. Scar eyed the two of them coldly and retuned to looking at the maps spread out in front of him.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Gone?” Celestia asked dumfounded, “The whole town just… gone” Sothe sighed; he knew when he had first heard the news that he would have to expect such a reaction.

“Not entirely gone… they found burning rubble… and… no survivors” He decidedly left out the fact that the scouts had found a pile of about one hundred griffin bodies in the town square. Celestia sat down, the shock registering in her eyes. Voltag’s territory was arranged differently from Scar’s. Unlike the single mega-city here, the southern griffins arranged themselves into small townships, each with a town guard and a small military garrison, while the rest of the military remained in the capital. The scouts that Scar had sent south had returned a few hours ago with a report that the army had indeed arrived, and decimated one of the small towns. Sothe left Celestia laying on the floor of their room, she needed time to think, Sothe on the other hand needed to talk to Scar.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greathoof was ecstatic. The report had just come in. His plan was working, and a griffin town had already fallen. He was going to crush them with ease.

“The scum didn’t have a chance.” He mumbled happily to himself. He decided that this was a time to celebrate, and he made a mental note to order a cake after the next meeting let out. He trotted back to the council chamber with a spring in his step. An early meeting has been called, and any other day Greathoof would have complained, but not today. He was whistling a joyful tune as he entered the chamber. The place was empty, save for Thelia who was already in her place at the table.

“Good morning Thelia.” Greathoof said smugly.

“What’s this? Councilor Greathoof, happy?” Her voice was laced with sarcasm, “And might I inquire as to the occasion?”

“Do I need an occasion? You are happy often enough, why can’t I have my turn?”

“Because your happiness is never a good sign.” She said flatly. Greathoof shot her a glare.

“Shut up, where are the others? We begin soon do we not?”

“We would begin soon if there was actually a meeting,” her horn glowed and audible clicks could be heard as the doors to the room locked simultaneously, “as it stands, this ‘meeting’ is merely going to be a conversation between you and me.”

“Are we?” the joy in Greathoof’s voice had been replaced by his usual coldness, “And what, pray tell, are we going to talk about?”

“As I said before, you’ve been very happy recently. Why?”

“Why?” He replied with a snicker, “Because my dear, it is a momentous day. The world is changing for the better, and my name is going down in history.”

“Oh really?” Thelia replied, “Please, tell me more.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“MY PEOPLE.” Scar’s voice boomed, “TODAY, NEWS HAS REACHED MY EARS. NEWS OF AN ARMY, BUILT BY A FOOL. NO DOUBT EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU KNOWS OF GREATHOOF. HE HAS RAISED AN ARMY AND BROUGHT IT TO OUR DOORSTEPS, HOPING TO WIPE US FROM OUR ANCIENT HOMES.” The crowd below him began to grow loud with concerned chatter, “DO NOT WORRY. WE WILL NOT ALLOW SUCH FOOL TO GO FAR, ALREADY HE HAS HARMED HOUR BRETHERIN TO THE SOUTH, AND ALREADY THEY HAVE RETALIATED. WE TOO MUST READY OURSELVES, WAR IS ONCE AGAIN COMING. AND WE WILL MEET IT HEAD ON!” he roared his final words and the crowd exploded, they believed his words completely. Scar stepped back inside from the balcony where he had given his speech. The room inside was filled with many griffins alongside the alicorn messengers. Scar approached one large griffin and spoke,

“Ready sixty warriors and send them south. They must tell Voltag that we are ready to fight beside him.”

“At once.” The other griffin replied and left the room. Scar then continued around the room, going from griffin to griffin giving out orders until the room was almost empty.

“What would you have us do?” Sothe asked after a time. Scar turned to face the tan stallion.

“I appreciate the offer of assistance, but as it is three alicorns would be of little help.” He sighed a little and continued, “And I must take into account that one of you is a fighter.”

“But we’re-“ Luna began, but was cut off.

“Sun Runner or not, magical skill is not the same as combat experience.” Scar said flatly.

“There is nothing we can do? Nothing at all?” Sothe asked. Scar sized him up for a moment before responding.

“How did you handle traveling?”

“I don’t see how that’s relevant.”

“How did you three as a group handle spending days in the open in unknown territory?”

“We held up fine.” Sothe replied flatly.

“I actually enjoyed it.” Luna chimed in. Scar gave her an approving nod.

“I have no place for you three on the front lines, but I may have a… a mission that may suit you. How would you three feel about traveling west?”

“West? Into the Dragon Lands?” Sothe asked, surprised.

“Yes. There is something there that would be useful for this war, but as it stands so griffin seems capable of… obtaining it.” Scar said slowly, “If you truly wish to help me end this war quickly, then you will go west and search for this artifact.”

“What artifact?” Celestia finally said.

“It is an ancient piece of dragon magic. It’s called a Flame Orb.”

“Well…” Sothe said slowly, “What do you think?” He asked the group. Luna was the first to reply.
“Let’s do it!” She yelled. She was ecstatic. Her lifelong dream was going to come true. She was going to get to see dragons.