• Published 3rd Jan 2013
  • 386 Views, 3 Comments

The Mystery of Breakwater Island - Plumage



Two ponies are sent to an island where they are forced to work in a mine and a peanut plantation.

  • ...
 3
 386

~Trying to Untie the Bow.

The Mystery of Breakwater Island
Chapter Four: Trying to Untie the Bow
Told from the journal kept by Ribbonetta Samantha Hearthus
Written by Feather

* * *

"Is this a fashion statement?" I ask the next morning, waving around the ribbon tied elegantly to my hoof. I don't know where it came from or why its here. Maybe its from the guards, like a welcoming present or something?
Sombrero laughs.
I look at her. "How is that funny?" I ask.
She shrugs. "Just is."
"Well." I say, looking down at the yellow ribbon. "I don't like it."
I bend down to take the ribbon off. Sombrero does the same.
"It's really tight," Sombrero says between her teeth.
It is. It must have been made strong with magic!
Unfortunately for the jerkwad who put this thing on me, I manage to undo it easily. My special talent is that one thing. Ribbons. But I've untied knots harder than this amateur's.
Within thirty seconds I've untied the bow and thrown the ugly yellow ribbon to the ground.
"How'd you do that?" Sombrero asks, still pulling at the ends of her intact bow.
"It's easy," I reply. "You just..."
And I undo her bow. I'm quicker this time; I know how to do it now.
"What're you guys doing?" Asks the brick-red stallion who wanted to know whether it was a joke yesterday.
"Leaving, I guess," Sombrero shrugs.
"Great idea!" I say. "Let's go."
We're halfway out the door when I turn to the stallion. "Can you cover for us?"
"What - "
"Cover for us. Say we're in the toilet or something. I dunno." I say.
He grins. "Sure. See you around...?"
"Ribbon Heart. And you?"
"Brickwork," he replies. "See you. Maybe."
I grin. "See you."
I turn, follow Sombrero out the door.
"Where are you two off to?"
Spanish. I can tell. The guard behind us is Spanish.
"Hola, amigo..." says Sombrero uncertainly.
"We, ah, need to pee." I say quickly.
"Wait - where are your ribbon bracelets?" The guard is really suspicious now.
"Run!" I say to Sombrero.
"Hemi!" The guard is obviously yelling for backup.
Now I can hear hooves behind us.
"Keep running," pants Sombrero. "Maybe we can outrun them."
"Get back here!" Gemane-accented English.
Sombrero spreads her wings and flies up directly above me. She's about to grab me when she falls with an uff onto my back. She's been shot. Oh Celestia she's been shot. She's probably dead, and if she's in shooting range then I am too. I begin to zig zag through the trees, dodging around bushes and shrubs. Maybe if I keep moving they can't target me.
But I'm slowing down, I'm so tired. The dart comes in my back left leg, and I plow straight into the mud.

*

I come to in a sterile white room. The curtains are shiny.
Shiny?!
I bolt backwards, knowing what that means. With a thud, I hit the oak headboard behind me. "Ow," I moan.
I use a pillow to push open the crystal curtain. I'm in what looks like a hospital dormitory.
Then it hits me. Aren't I supposed to be dead?
"Sombrero!" I gasp, remembering the shot.
A groan to my left.
"Ribbon?"
"Where are we?" I ask.
"I don't know," Sombrero replies.
I try to get out of the bed, trying hard not to touch the curtains. It almost doesn't work, and at one point I shut my eyes and grit my teeth, waiting for the warm feeling that means I'm crystal again. But I doesn't come. I'm safe...this time.
How do these ponies know so much about my past?!
I turn around.
And see it.
The crystal ribbon from the boat cruise was laid beneath my pillow.