• Published 11th Jan 2013
  • 3,087 Views, 125 Comments

The Best Babysitter - pchn00



A young girl is suddenly forced to remember someone who used to be very important to her when a new girl transfers to her school.

  • ...
6
 125
 3,087

Chapter 12: Midnight Visitors

Chapter 12: Midnight Visitors

Beep….beep….beep….

With her usual groan of protest Jen flailed her arm out at the alarm. Rather than hitting a snooze button her hand smacked into something…big and heavy, which ended up tumbling over and giving off a tremendous racket.

Eyes shooting open she looked around in confusion. In bed? Check. In HER bed? No check. She was in a…hospital room? That’s what it had to be. Uncomfortable florescent lights over head with a thin curtain between herself and the patients to either side of her she fell back with a wince. It felt like her stomach was on fire! Oh yeah some jerk cut her open with a big sword…

She looked down at herself. Not surprised to find body covered in numerous bandages, but that her skin was its usual healthy tan. No fur. Brow furrowed in confusion she tried to twitch an ear or flick her tail and…nada. She could barely see her little human nose.

Gingerly she reached up to her forehead. Horn still there. So she hadn’t just gone completely insane and made up the last few days in her head. The curtain to her side was drawn open revealing a cranky looking pegasus with a rainbow colored tail and mane.

“Hey you wanna keep it down? Some of us’re tryin to sleep!” But she was grinning all the while.

Jen found herself sharing her friend’s smile. “Hey Dash…” A battered looking book sat on a night stand next to Rainbow Dash, with a rusty old helmet next to it. “Cool hat.”

Rainbow Dash preened her wings with a grin. “Hay yeah it is. Gonna get it fixed up for the next time we go on some crazy life threatening adventure.”

“Honestly girls some of us ARE trying to sleep.” The other curtain was jerked aside by a faltering purple aura. There sat an exhausted looking Twilight Sparkle…she looked worse than Rarity before she got her beauty sleep…causing the pair to cringe.

“Er…sorry Twilight…what happened t’you?” Jen was settling down some. She was curious how they got here…but more concerned with her friends’ wellbeing.

The exhausted unicorn managed to lift her head. “I over used my magic is all. Too many high end spells in my duel with Trixie. I just need plenty of rest.”

Jen was glad to hear they’d be alright but something was nagging her. “Where’s Pinkie Pie?”

With a lazy wave of her hoof Dash settled back into her bed retrieving her book. “She’s fine. Probly still outside with the others. Visiting hours don’t start for a bit.”

“Oh…so…how’d we uh…”

“Get here?” Twilight supplied. “Discord…according to Pinkie. You’ve been asleep for a few days. We won the race by the way. He retrieved the gem holding his power and used it to get you here. Pinkie says he actually looked pretty sorry for the state you were in.” The huff in her tone indicated he was probly less sorry about the state of the others. “He restored the others and has just been bumming about Canterlot Castle according to Princess Celestia…” She trailed off a worried frown on her face.

It wasn’t long before a nurse came to investigate the commotion of the upended machine. She was a white earth pony, pale blue mane with a thermometer for a cutie mark. Jen just shrugged apologetically. “Sorry…thought it was my alarm clock.”

Her nurse gave a reproachful little click of her tongue as she righted the machine, ensuring it was in proper order. “It’s alright dear. How are you feeling?”

“Er…sore, hungry, tired, and more sore?”

Twilight had settled back down for a bit more sleep while Dash had her nose buried in her book. ‘Daring Do and the Mystery of Zebrica’. Her focus was drawn back to her nurse as she flipped through her chart.

“Well it looks like you’ll be fine Ms….Allen. We had a bit of trouble with the ah…uniqueness of your anatomy but Princess Luna was a big help in sorting everything out. You had lost a lot of blood so you received a transfusion. Your friend Pinkie Pie was a match fortunately.”

That raised her eyebrows to a degree she thought they’d fly off her head. Not so much that Pinkie had volunteered but that a pony shared the same blood as her. Had she changed on the inside a lot…or was it just coincidental that equestrians and humans had some shared anatomy.

“You needed a few stitches, especially along your barrel,” (which Jen rightly assumed was her stomach), “But all in all you’ll be fine, just fine. It’ll be a few days but you should be able to go home without delay. Now let me go get you some breakfast hmm?”

Her stomach growled loudly and with an emphatic nod her nurse was trotting off to retrieve a meal. She hoped someone had mentioned her unique dietary concerns…but they seemed to eat a lot of fruit so she should be alright. Settling back into her bed she glanced about the room again smiling as she saw her sword and shield laying on a small table next to her bed. She was worried no one picked it up back in the tower.

She soon settled back for another nap after she had a surprisingly filling breakfast…mostly consisting of apples and apple based products. Twilight and Rainbow were already dozing on either side of her and all this…sitting up, light conversation, and breakfast really wiped her out.

Naturally, the very second her eyes drooped closed…the door banged open. “Whoooo’s ready for an I’m out of my coma party?!”

She couldn’t even feel mad as Pinkie burst into the room and hopped up on the bed with her…carefully avoiding her mid-section. Happy chatter filled the air as Fluttershy, Rarity, Applejack, and Spike followed close behind her. It was clear the way the girls gave quick greetings to the other two they’d already been visiting before…likely every day for the past few she’d been asleep.

“Good t’see ya up an about sugarcube.”

“Indeed…we were all DREADFULLY worried darling.”

“I’m um…glad you’re feeling better…”

This caused Jen to laugh…which turned out to be something of a mistake as her abdominal region reminded her it was literally being held together with thread. Shaking it off she wore a little smile. “I was worried about YOU guys. We were fine.”

Fluttershy settled on Rainbow’s bed, the latter shuffling up to make room for her. Rarity of course delicately seated herself on one of the seats in the room while Applejack just plopped onto the floor. Pinkie was slowly worming her way up to rest her head on Jen’s shoulder. Spike hopped up on the edge of Twilight’s bed letting his legs dangle over the edge.

“Heh, fightin giant spiders an goin toe t’toe with Discord an she’s worried ‘bout US.” The farm pony chuckled adjusting her hat.

“I simply cannot imagine what it was like! Regular spiders are bad enough but ones bigger than a pony?” The fashionista seemed about to swoon at the idea.

From Rainbow’s bed Fluttershy piped up. “I’m sure they were just defending their home…um…probably…” She shrank down when everyone turned to regard her.

They passed the afternoon sharing stories. Pinkie, Twilight, Rainbow, and Jen each recounting their version of the events. It wasn’t until evening when one of the doctors came in looking a tad irritated. “Why are you ponies still here? These girls need to sleep. Visiting time is over. Now go on shoo, shoo. You can come back tomorrow.”

With a chorus of groans and promises to return soon the healthy folk wandered out allowing the exhausted trio the chance to sink back into their beds. With mumbled goodnights to one another the lights were out, the two mares and one human soon sleeping deeply.

A rhythmic tapping sound roused Jennifer from her sleep. Every few seconds she heard another

TAK….TAK….TAK….slowly approaching her room. With a frown she reached for her shield...before the door to their room opened and Discord strolled in casual as can be. Still in his human guise, but leaning heavily on a cane.

“Ahh there she is! How’re you feeling m’dear?” The takking sound was his cane hitting the ground, he seemed to have a pronounced limp on the bad leg…and she had to wonder why he hadn’t just…magic’d it better. With a little wave of his cane a plush chair fluffed up next to Jen’s bed and he seated himself.

Looking from side to side with a frown…noting the ponies were still snoozing heavily but Discord wasn’t exactly being quiet she focused on him. “What did you do to them?”

Affecting an innocent look the humanized draconequus raised both hands in a gesture of surrender. “DO to them? Why my dear Jenny-bean I just ensured they got some well-earned rest!”

She flinched hearing Pinkie’s nick name for her coming from his mouth. “Jen or Jennifer.” She did feel a bit of pride at the pair of black eyes he was nursing, no doubt from the strong bash to the face she’d delivered with her shield.

He paused and some of the frivolity fled his face. Casually he lowered his hands into his lap. He seemed to be acting…odd. Before his eyes were all over the place, flicking from place to place rarely focusing on anything. Now much of his manic energy seemed…not gone, but subdued.

“Fair enough Jennifer. And don’t worry for your pony friends, a simple bit of magic to make sure our conversation isn’t interrupted.” He focused on his pants, fidgeting with a bit of lint.

Several moments ticked by before Jen realized he seemed to be having trouble voicing what was on his mind. “I…” She tilted her head regarding him again, before lying back in her bed more comfortably. “If you want to talk talk…but I’m really tired dude. Someone cut the crap out of me with a sword.”

A faint chuckle was his response. “Yes I did get a little…overzealous didn’t I? I don’t expect you to believe me, but I AM sorry for that.”

She stared harder at him. If this was some game of his she didn’t get it at all. “Just for that?”

He flicked his eyes back up to meet hers. “No…no I suppose I should apologize to you for a good deal more hm? Throwing you off the train for one. Letting that Lightning Dust loose on Rainbow Dash. I didn’t realize how strong the hatred was in her heart…it’s sad to see a pony stray so far.”

Jen just kept her hard stare, trying to see any sign of deception in his words reflected on his face. If he was lying he was doing a good job. She looked to his wrist where he kept fiddling with something under his sleeve. “So what’s the deal the Princesses are just letting you wander around now?”

“Ha! Oh of course not. They think I’m still “under guard” back at Canterlot Castle. And with two of her little Element bearers laid up here, they can’t give me the old petrification whammy again.” He placed his cane on the floor and rose to his feet, the chair vanishing. “I came to apologize, and to see you on your way home.”

Now the girl’s eyes widened. He could send her home? He WOULD send her home? “Back to my own world?”

A shrug was his initial response. “Of course, you won the game. I know that wasn’t part of the original package deal, but I drained all the excess equestrian energies from you…as you may have noticed.” He poked her human nose with his cane.

Home. She didn’t expect she’d see it ever again…had even come to terms with leaving it behind. Now that she had the opportunity to go…did she want to? As much as she didn’t get along with her parents she found herself missing them. Missing her room…her house. She missed her uncle too. She could go home and leave all this insanity behind. No more swords, falling off cliffs or getting stabbed. That didn’t sound too bad. …but also no more friends, no more adventure. No more Pinkie. She’d have to say goodbye to Pennie again.

“I don’t know that I want to go back.”

He nodded as if he expected this. “Well you have to go back. Equestria is no world for a girl like you.”

With a frown she pulled herself up. “What’s THAT supposed to mean?”

He put his cane against her forehead and pushed her back into bed. “Your pony friends are not the norm. Oh most of the ponyfolk are insipidly friendly and cheerful, but most don’t go galloping off into danger at their Princess’ behest. They live quiet, happy, sedate lifestyles. Until very recently the giant monster attacks in Equestria were VERY few and far between. The world outside the Princess’ borders…is a VERY dangerous place at times. There are dangers waiting in the deep dark corners of the world that would make ME look like a kitten on my worst days.”

Jen followed him with her eyes as he paced at the foot of her bed. She didn’t want another prod with the cane so she stayed quiet and let him speak.

“And you? Would you be content to settle down in Ponyville? Canterlot? Live a quiet, boring little life like most of the ponies live?”

Ah…so that’s what he was getting at. He was WORRIED about her. “…why do you care what I do?”

His step quickened as he seemed to grow more agitated. “Why do YOU care what happens to ME?”

Brow furrowed she narrowed her eyes in confusion. “What? What’s that supposed to mean?”

He whipped his cane to jab the end at her. “In the courtyard, the castle. Your…pony shadow or whatever it was would have finished me. Had me cold. And you stopped her. She was about to put an end to the threat that is Discord for all time! And you STOPPED her? Why?”

Jennifer’s mouth opened, trying to think of a response. Was he MAD at her for saving his life? Then she noticed he was toying with whatever was under his sleeve again. “You haven’t reclaimed your full power have you?”

Discord resumed his agitated pacing, shrugging as if her question was unimportant.

“I heard it whispering to me, all the time. Wanting me to do awful things. I mean…they might have been funny to someone who was deranged, but…they were still awful. …how long did you have to listen to that voice before you started doing what you did?”

The compassion in her voice only seemed to irritate the godlike Discord further. “Years.” He stopped his pacing and spoke quietly. “Years and years. After the alicorn sisters…unnaturally accelerated my acclimation and I grew into the devilishly handsome form adorning their windows,” He paused in his telling to waggle his eyebrows. “I wasn’t immediately…as unbalanced as I became. I wasn’t a bad fellow, an aspiring knight in my king’s court and all that jazz. But the voices…” His eyes grew hard. “They never stopped…not unless I did what they wanted me to do. They wouldn’t let me have any sleep, never a moment’s rest.”

Shaking her head slowly as she absorbed his words she offered him a bit of a smile. “So it wasn’t your fault? The Princesses share some of the blame…and the voices your power brought up are what’s to blame.”

He rounded on her, eyes blazing. “But I gave in! I ALLOWED them to take control, to sweep who I was away and replace it with…Discord. If I had been stronger, if I had resisted longer perhaps the sisters could have found a way to help me. But I didn’t.” With a weary sigh he made his way to her bedside and sank into the chair he conjured once again. “I couldn’t.”

The silence stretched for a long time before Jennifer spoke again. “You know I was like…one more thing getting me riled up to busting out your chaos power? Like…anything.” She wasn’t looking directly at him, but she saw him raise his eyes to look at her as she spoke. “If I hadn’t found my sword when I did…” She let her hand rest on the shield a bit. “It just made them stop…right there on the spot. You held out for YEARS, I lasted like…two days? Three? Before I was gonna give in. I just lucked into finding a crutch to help me through.”

Another sigh was his response. “I appreciate your words child, I really do. They give me some comfort. I’m starting to hear them again already, the faint whispers in the back of my head. I don’t know how long I can resist this time.”

He flinched as she reached down to rest her hand over his. “So…maybe you don’t have to bear it alone. You already removed your power and sealed it in the gem there…” She nodded to his wrist. “Why don’t we share it?”

Now he jerked his hand away from hers and rose sharply. “How can you ask me to do that? To force this on someone else? I may be a monster but I’m not THAT far gone. I should never have given it to you to carry about in the first place, now that I’m in my right mind again…I shudder that I was so careless. I can’t ask anyone to carry this curse on my behalf.”

A sharp rap of her knuckle against the metal of her shield drew his attention. “If this thing can shut the voices out from all that power at once, I’m pretty sure it can handle half.” He began to shake his head in denial but she spoke up again. “You wanted to know why I didn’t let the shadow kill you in the courtyard?”

At his nod she continued. “Even at the castle when you first appeared, you didn’t seem like some…horrible evil monster to me. A jerk, sure but a soulless beast?” She shook her head. “You seemed lonely. Very lonely…without a friend in the world. I know what that feels like. I knew you weren’t evil just…sad. So…as your friend I’m offering, let me help you with this.”

The conjured chair vanished as soon as it appeared. Discord rolled up his sleeve frowning at the chaotic gem on the silver chain he had wrapped about his wrist. Then he smiled. Then he laughed. Not the manic laugh she was used to hearing…but an honest laugh. “You…you are an…interesting little filly Jennifer Allen.”

Slowly he unwound the chain from his wrist, and held the jewel between the fingers of both hands, breaking it smoothly in half. “…you have to swear you will never try to use this magic. I give it to you for safe keeping. You can never give it to anypony else…not even the Princesses. For no reason…under any circumstance.”

She just smiled and drew her fingers across her breast. “Cross my heart, hope to fly,” then plopped her fist against her eye, “stick a cupcake in my eye.”

This brought another chuckle from her fellow human, and he placed the half a jewel in her lap. “Well with a promise like that I KNOW you’ll keep it.”

She gathered the gem in her good hand…the close proximity to her sword and shield had warmed it…but it wasn’t burning hot like it was in the caves, it was a pleasant warmth. Delicately she laid it on the nightstand beside her weapon, looking back as Discord turned to go. “Where…will you go?”

Turning to look over his shoulder he shot a cocky smile her way and shrugged. “Who knows? Not here I think…a bit of bad blood between myself and the government and all. Not to worry though m’dear, I’m sure we’ll see one another again! Good friends can never stay apart for long after all!” He made his way from the room at that, whistling a jaunty tune to himself.
Jen allowed herself to flop back letting out a loud whoof. She wasn’t lying when she’d told him she was wiped. Looking to the nightstand she watched the colors whirl about in the jewel, letting sleep find her once more.

Only to be abruptly awakened by a gentle ‘ahem’.

“Arrrrrgh! Really?! Come on now I REALLY want to sleep!”

A warm chuckle reached her ears. “You ARE asleep Jennifer, I am visiting you in your dreams…nothing more.”

Sitting up and looking about to get her bearings, Jen seemed to be in the hospital bed…though there were no walls or floors…just an endless void stretching out as far as the eye could see. The midnight blue alicorn princess, Luna smiled down at her.

“Oh…sorry I’ve had an…interesting night.” She offered a little smile up to the princess.

With a shake of her head she shrugged the apology away. “Nonsense child, you have been through much. A bit of stress is to be expected. I take it YOU are who Discord snuck out to come see?”

With a slow nod Jen related their conversation to the princess, by the end the regal alicorn seemed deeply troubled. “We had no idea what we…did to him caused such mental distress. My sister and I simply assumed he was always a little…unbalanced and all the power suddenly at his fingertips allowed him to unleash his madness on the world.” She looked up from her inner musings back to the girl in the bed. “And to think a young filly was what it took to chase his demons away.”

Jen shifted a bit uncomfortably at the praise from this royal being, cheeks reddening. “I didn’t really do much…the ponies did the real work an stuff. I tripped off a bridge, fell off a train, and got cut to ribbons.”

The princess nodded slowly. “Perhaps most of your contribution came from good fate. Certainly your pony friends were more experienced and equipped to deal with the dangers you encountered. Yet still you stood beside them, you shared their hardships without complaint did you not?”

Despite not wanting all this praise dumped on her she couldn’t help but nod. “I uh…guess so yeah.”

Luna’s midnight blue aura of magic gripped her shield and lifted it closer, slowly with only a slight hint of a frown she tried to draw the blade…but could not. “The Sword of Harmony has chosen you to be its new wielder Jennifer. That is no small feat.”

Gently accepting it as the princess returned the shield to her hands she gripped it a little tighter. “The Sword of Harmony huh? So it’s like…special?”

The princess nodded. “Oh yes…it was passed down by only the greatest of the unicorn warriors to their squires. Lady Bleeding Heart was the last to wield it. It is the only blade of its kind. Each wielder imbues it with a power of their own…further strengthening their bond to the blade.”

Wide eyed Jen slide the blade free of its resting place in the shield. “So…that’s what these runes are? One for each of the past owners?” When the Princess nodded again she grinned a little. “I used one of them…when I was fighting Discord I kinda…heard a voice asking me to allow her to help. Then the rune glowed and…an image of the knight I took the sword from appeared and fought for me.”

“Yes…it must have been Bleeding Heart herself. She was renowned for her kindness and generosity. The rune in question, as you are no doubt aware, will summon the last wielder to aid you if need be. It’s power is great, but also limited by the wielder. The longer the shadow remains, the more it draws upon its bearers own reserves. If she had remained much longer you would have ended up like Twilight Sparkle.”

Jen set aside her weapon as the princess finished. “Guess I was luckier than I thought huh?”

The princess laughed lightly. “I suppose you were at that. Perhaps THAT will be your special talent hm? Good fortune?”

This drew a wider grin from the girl. “So…I guess I’m staying in Equestria. If uh…that’s ok?”

“I don’t think your presence will greatly upset anyone little one. You will be expected to follow our laws, and as you’re still a filly…even if an elder filly, you’ll be required to have a guardian to look after you until you’re a proper adult.”

Jen nodded at that. “Yeah I kinda figured that already…Rainbow Dash said I’d probly be going to school and stuff…”

The Princess spread her wings slowly. “Most likely. For now however…I will leave you to your rest. Know that you have the gratitude of both my sister and I. When you are well I hope you will come to see us in person in Canterlot. It would be good to meet under more…pleasant circumstance than the last.”

Once more...hopefully for the last time tonight Jen lay back down. “I’ll see you in a few days then?”

With a nod Luna gave her wings a powerful flap and she was off…letting Jen sink once more into the sweet sweet comfort of sleep.

-Elsewhere-

“So…did you tell her sister?”

Luna blinked looking to the doors of her private chambers. There stood Celestia. The night princess’ heart sunk at the sight of her poor sister, so drained and tired. The luster was gone from her mane and tail and her head bowed by weariness.

“Not yet Tia…I will when the time is right. Have YOU told Twilight Sparkle what SHE needs to hear?”

The elder of the sisters gave a little snort of irritation. “I’ll tell her when the time is right.” She parroted in a sing-song voice.
Luna shook her head. “Your time is coming rapidly Celestia…you have delayed it for many years, far too many. I am here now, and I am ready to assume my proper duties. It is time for you to take your rest, and know that Equestria is in good hooves.”

Another stubborn snort was her sister’s reply. “I suppose you’re right. …it will be longer than usual this time, but I’m sure you already knew that.” She cut in quickly, seeing her little sister open her mouth to likely say just that.

The faint clack of Luna’s jaw snapping shut told Celestia she was right on the money with her assumption, bring a smirk to the elder. “Not too much longer, perhaps a year, a year and a half. You will be back on your hooves in no time at all.”

With a sigh Celestia joined her sister on her balcony, looking out over Canterlot, and to Ponyville in the distance. “Very well Luna, I’ll speak to Twilight Sparkle as soon as she leaves the hospital. I’ve waited this long…I can wait a few more days.”

It wasn’t the answer she wanted…but Luna knew her sister would fight her tooth and hoof on this. “Very well sister, the DAY she leaves the hospital, no later.”

This brought a playful smile to Celestia’s face as she swatted her sister with a wing. “Who’s the older sister here hm?”

Luna returned her grin, with a wider one of her own. “You dear Tia. For now.”

Author's Note:

Chapter 12! Hints of future stuff! What mysteries await! One will be solved in the next and final chapter of The Best Babysitter! Stay tuned!

(I so hate the name of the story, but I didn't have one when I started writing, and the site demanded I create one to submit so I had a total derp moment and just threw that on there XD)