• Published 31st Dec 2012
  • 8,211 Views, 102 Comments

"I Promise, Scootaloo. I Promise" - TheFineBrony



Rainbow Dash's foalhood is unknown to us. She never talks about it, the only mare who knows anything about Rainbow Dash's mysterious past is Fluttershy. One day she receives a letter from her parents that gets her thinking of her foalhood.

  • ...
9
 102
 8,211

Never Again (rewritten)

“Almost there, Scoots. You can do it!”

“Really?” the orange pegasus asked excitedly as she was just barely hovering above the ground.

Her mentor’s praise spurred her on even further and she slowly but steadily gained altitude, much to Rainbow’s delight. She’d never openly admit it, but the fast learning progress the orange pegasus was showing, filled her with joy and pride. Even more than when she accomplished something for herself.

Scootaloo was having similar thoughts. She was lost in all the excitement flying, if you could call it that. Her wings were buzzing at a fast pace, blood was rushing through her veins, her heart was beating frantically, she never felt so... alive. And she soon lost herself in the euphoria of the moment.

“Don't lose your focus!” yelled Rainbow Dash agitatedly, causing her to snap out of the trance and plummeting back to the ground.

She mentally prepared herself for the inevitable impact, it never came however. A multicolored trail shot through the air and managed to catch her little fan in the nick of time and gently set her back to the safe ground of the grassy field they were practising on.

“Scoots, you gotta stay focused when you're flying. You did well though. Great height and you also improved your technique.”

“Sorry, Rainbow Dash. I will try harder next time,” Scootaloo promised dejectedly. “Don’t lose focus, got it!” She instantly tried to take off again before a blue hoof was placed on her back, holding the overeager pegasus on the ground.

“Whoa there, kiddo. Give it some rest and try again later. You’ve improved a lot since our last practice session, you'll be flying like me in no time at all. Well, not just like me, that would be impossible,” she chuckled heartily. “Maybe somewhere close to my level of performance.”

“Okay, Rainbow Dash. I can't thank you enough, I can't wait for the next session!” the filly cheered with a grin as she looked back up to her mentor.

Scoots was having the time of her life, ever since her camping trip with the other Cutie Mark Crusaders her life only got better and better. Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo were like sisters since then and inseparable... almost.

Scootaloo had just recently moved in with her; Applejack and Rarity helped convince Rainbow Dash that it was for the best and would be only temporarily if Rainbow Dash didn’t want to take care of her permanently. Scootaloo got a room right next to Rainbow’s in her cloud home. The cyan mare had also recently begun to teach Scootaloo how to fly, she was learning slowly but surely.

Over the past couple of weeks Scootaloo grew to know almost everything about her mentor, they had discussions here and there about everyday things like school and work on the Ponyville weather team. They had talked about Scoots and her family issues, but every time Scootaloo tried to learn of Rainbow Dash's past, the subject was pushed away. The only thing Scoots knew about her past was her Cutie Mark story. Scootaloo had even gone to Fluttershy to get information. But Fluttershy just refused to talk about it too, she would change the subject or tell Scootaloo that she was busy. She yearned to learn of Rainbow Dash's mysterious past. Scootaloo wanted to be just like her in every way possible.

“Catch ya later, kid. I got some weather that needs to be cleared and some other uncool stuff to do. We can hang after I’m done with that. I will pick you up at Sweet Apple Acres entrance. That cool?”

“Yeah, Rainbow Dash!” Scootaloo declared with excitement. “I will be waiting for you. I can't wait to tell you about our next Cutie Mark Crusaders meeting.” Right as Scootaloo finished talking, Rainbow Dash began to flap her wings to take off but was interrupted by a pegasus crashing into her. Grey and blue feathers were scattered all over, as the two mares struggled to get back up.

“Derpy! Watch where you're going!” Rainbow groaned lifting herself off the ground, while pulling the gray feathers out of her own.

“Oh sorry, Rainbow Dash. I just don't know what went wrong,” the gray mare cheered as she began to stand up and search through her saddle bag. “Letter for Rainbow Dash!”

“Right here, Derpy,” Rainbow Dash moaned weakly with a hint of annoyance, rubbing the dirt off her coat.

“Oh, hey Scootaloo, didn't see you there. Goodbye. The Pony Express waits for nopony,” Derpy remarked proudly as she handed the letter to Rainbow Dash. She gathered herself, closed her saddle bags and took off.

“Bye Derpy! Who is it from Rainbow Dash?” Scootaloo questioned as she ran over to inspect the letter. The filly jumped up and down with excitement trying to get a glimpse of the paper, but Rainbow Dash held the letter out of Scootaloo’s reach.

The color on Dash's complexion melted away. Scoots did her best to get a better look at the note. It was normal all around except for the seal in the middle. The seal was a bronze lighting bolt resembling the mare’s Cutie Mark. Rainbow Dash just stood there looking down at the letter. No emotions came to her, a stone cold expression was drawn on her face.

“Who is it from?” Scootaloo asked again. Rainbow Dash laid a hoof on the bouncing filly, silencing her.

“Nopony,” she insisted as she began to slowly walk away instead of flying. Scootaloo looked on, showing concern, never having seen Rainbow like this.

“Where are you going, Rainbow Dash?” the filly said with concern walking in Dash’s hoof prints she left on the ground.

“Nowhere, Scootaloo,” she replied heading off in a straight line. “Goodbye, Scoots. I will see you later,” Dash sighed in a melancholic tone. She laid a hoof gently on the filly’s head again, stopping her movement. “I will see you later, alright?” The orange pegasus sat there in stunned silence as she watched her mentor walk away.

“But, the letter! Aren't you gonna open it?” Rainbow Dash didn’t even bother to turn around as she kept walking away.

“Goodbye,” the mare responded head forward, as she continued to walk in the same direction. Her heart sank as Rainbow Dash didn’t even bother to give her one last glance.

After hearing her mentor’s words, Scootaloo sat down in utter disbelief while she watched her slowly move away. Rainbow Dash flew everywhere, she would even fly indoors whenever she could. This was the only time Scootaloo had ever seen her like this, and she didn't like it.

Scootaloo decided to follow her from a distance and see where she was going. After 10 minutes nothing had changed. Rainbow Dash just kept sauntering in a straight line toward something off in the distance. The letter was firmly held under wing, and her face still showing no emotion.

After 20 minutes nothing had changed, by this point Scootaloo was getting bored. She was just slowly moving about 100 paces behind Rainbow Dash, all the while guessing to herself if Dash had seen her.

Rainbow Dash never turned around to look back, she just kept on going until she reached a house. It was Fluttershy's house. After a couple of knocks on the door a yellow, pink maned pegasus stood in the doorway. Scootaloo had to find out what was going on and so she ran over to the window and slid under the window sill. The window was carefully opened, just enough to be in audible range of the conversation.

“What's wrong, Rainbow Dash? You don't look like yourself,” Fluttershy questioned as Rainbow Dash trotted over to Fluttershy's table. The letter which was once firmly under her bright cyan wing was thrown onto the surface making a loud thud.

“Oh my. What is it?” Fluttershy contended, concerned as she moved over to her friend. “A letter, that’s it? That's what's got your tail in a knot?”

“The seal...” Rainbow Dash trailed off toward the window which Scootaloo hid under. The filly could hear Dash’s hoofsteps getting closer and closer, her heart sank as she squeezed her small frame closer to the cottage. The pain of splinters could be felt as she pushed herself harder into the wood house.

Meanwhile, Fluttershy walked over to get a better look at the letter. “It’s your family crest.” Fluttershy instantly knew what the problem was. Her friend had coped with this problem for years, and to Fluttershy’s disappointment it seemed like there was nothing that she could do to fix it.

“I am not going to open it. Feed it to one of your animals or something, I need a place to get rid of it.” Scootaloo looked up from the window sill, and could partially see the face she loved the most, as it stared out into the open sky.

“Aren't you gonna open it. At least see what it says?”

“No, I don't have to, nor want to. Why should I listen to what they have to say?” Rainbow Dash quickly replied, as she hovered over the window sill under which the filly hid. Scootaloo could hear her heartbeat in her ears, she gritted her teeth as splinters dug into her feathers.

“Rainbow, that was in the past. Things may have changed. You have to open the letter to find out!” Fluttershy implored picking off the letter off the table, moving it closer to her friend.

“No. Things never change with them. The only reason they probably sent me that letter was to ask for money or something. And the answer is no!” Dash remarked turning away from the window.

“You don't know that, Rainbow Dash, they may just want to talk with you. You know, a little family get together like the Apple family does every once in awhile. Just open it for me.” Fluttershy paused, holding out the letter in front of Rainbow Dash. “Please?”

“You don't know what it’s like Fluttershy, your parents were the nicest ponies I have ever known. They practically raised me.” She turned and began to walk across the room. Scootaloo let a sigh of relief as her muscles relaxed.” I spent so much time at your house when we were fillies. They took care of me, they fed me, they talked to me and cared about me.”

“Yes they did. But, Rainbow Dash, give your parents a chance, maybe they want to make up for what they did to you as a filly. Huh? Give it a try. Open it.” The yellow pegasus walked over and lifted one of Rainbow’s hooves in the air. The letter was gently placed in the cyan hoof.

“You don't understand do you, Fluttershy?” Rainbow Dash responded angrily, pinning the letter against her friends chest. “I lived the past 15 years of my life without them. They barely tried to make contact with me, I was thrown to the side like dirt. I raised myself, Fluttershy. Where were they when I needed to talk to them?” Her once stone cold face turned to anger. “Huh, Fluttershy? Las Pegasus! That’s where!” The letter fell on the floor as Rainbow once again walked away. It was now slightly crumpled, its once bright bronze seal now dirty.

“Now of all times they send me a letter. I am done with them, and have been for the past 15 years. Not opening those doors again.” Fluttershy leaned over and picked up the crumpled mess. It was dirty, but it was salvageable. She rubbed most of the dirt off the seal and the letter.

“Rainbow Dash, I have always been your friend. And I won't lie to you. I think you should give them a chance, you never know. Maybe they want to apologize to you, for everything. Open it, come on.” Once again the letter was presented in front of the rainbow mare, however, she was not moving or speaking. Dash just stood there, staring off into the distance.

“An apology does not fill their gap for 15 years, Fluttershy.” She broke the silence. ”You want to find out so badly, why don't you open it then?” Rainbow Dash fumed pushing the letter back at Fluttershy.

“Dash, it’s for...” Fluttershy implored but was cut off, as she held the letter carefully in her hoof.

“No, if you want to know, you can. That’s why I came here. They are dead to me and always have been,” the cyan mare remarked cold hearted.

“Rainbow Dash! Don't say that.”

“It’s true. They never cared! They never loved! I was an accident to them! A mistake, Fluttershy!” Dash was not turning or moving.

“Thats not true, Rainbow Dash.”

“Yes it is, and don’t tell yourself anything different, because it’s wrong,” Rainbow Dash asserted as she began to walk toward the entrance of the cottage, her friend followed close behind, letter in tow. “If you want to read the letter, you can. Leave me out of it.” The cyan mare opened the door. Scootaloo quickly jumped, hearing the door being opened, she was not ready for that. Her heart stopped as she prayed that Rainbow stopped before she could see her.

“Wait! Alright, I will open the letter.” Fluttershy whimpered, feeling defeated as she slowly began to break the dull bronze seal...

She knew her friend hated her parents, and that she always had. Ever since the day they met she had tried to fix Rainbow Dash's relationship with her parents. Fluttershy had only seen Dash's parents in person once, and that was when she was very young. It was on Rainbow's first day of flight school, they had come to drop her off.

Fluttershy didn't know Dash that day, but she would not have gotten the chance to talk to her parents anyway. As soon as they signed the last form, they were off and left. That was the only time Fluttershy had ever seen them. She knew their relationship was bad but anything she could do to help was worth it to her. No other pony knew about Rainbow Dash's past like Fluttershy did, and for good reason. The cyan pegasus would normally snap at anypony who mentioned her parents or tried to get her on that topic. Fluttershy was the only pony that could even talk about it at all to her.

“Will you at least come over and watch me open it?” the yellow mare asked as she walked over to the table, while she saw her friend still standing back over at the door. “Please?” Fluttershy implored as she smiled over to Rainbow Dash. She looked back at her yellow friend, and couldn’t help herself, Fluttershy was a great friend to her, and she knew it.

She said nothing as she slowly trotted over to Fluttershy, but she stood at least 5 feet away from the table at all times. The yellow pegasus slowly undid the letter, gently sliding the wrinkled paper out of its resting place. A yellow piece of parchment paper shone in the light of Fluttershy’s cottage. The words “Rainbow Dash” were printed out clearly in hoofwriting. She unfolded the letter to reveal its contents and began to read it to herself.

Dear Rainbow Dash,

long time no see, kiddo! We haven't talked in the longest time, we should get together sometime soon, you know it! You haven't replied to any of our letters so I just assumed you haven't gotten them, well I hope you get this one at least. Rainbow Dash I know you have been avoiding us all this time, and I know your reasons why. I completely understand, if I were in your situation I would do the same thing. I just really need to see you and so does your mother. Your mother is deathly ill, Rainbow. She is on her last leg, she wants to see you. She is sick, Rainbow Dash, I know it, the doctors won't tell me but day after day I can just tell. She needs to see you, Rainbow Dash, I need to see you. We need to talk. Please, Rainbow Dash, please. We are up in the Canterlot hospital, dear. I have no idea how much time your mother has left, she needs you, and I need you. Please come.

With Love

Your father.


“Rainbow Dash, you really should read it. Your parents need you.” She tried to hand the letter to Rainbow in another attempt. Her hoof held open in an effort to get Rainbow to grab it. The cyan mare stared down at the letter and didn’t move. Fluttershy motioned her eyes for friend to take the letter, but her cyan hooves stayed planted on the floor.

“They need me? Ha, that’s funny, Fluttershy, you're good. Where were they when I needed them for the past 15 years, huh? Where were they when I had a nightmare and there was nopony around to comfort me?” Angered, she pushed the letter back onto the table. “Where were they when I got my Cutie Mark? Where were they when I needed somepony to be there for me?”

“Rainbow Dash, you're being too hard on them,” Fluttershy reasoned in her best convincing voice. This time she finally left the crumpled paper on the table.

“What could this letter possibly be about?” Rainbow Dash questioned sarcastically. “Let me guess, they either want some money or they want to say hi. Just to make themselves feel better.”

“No, it’s your mother. She’s deathly ill.” She looked down toward the floor, feeling a little uncomfortable. “Your father wants to talk to you, and your mother wants to see you.”

“Last time I saw her was a couple years ago, she looked fine then. She’s probably fine now, too,” Dash affirmed, turning away from the table, as she began to trot away again.

“No, it says they are up at the Canterlot hospital. Rainbow Dash you really should read it, your father really wants you there,” she said, pointing back at the crumpled, dirty yellow parchment paper laying on the table.

“I don't care what he wants, Fluttershy. He was never a father to me. As far as I know I don't have a father, he died a long time ago.” She turned around as her eyes looked intently into Fluttershy’s eyes. “Along with my hopes of having a family with my parents, a real family.”

“Please, Rainbow Dash. They really want you to visit. I will go with you, how’s that?” Staring back right into Rainbow’s bright magenta eyes, Fluttershy put on her best begging face.

“Why? So they can meet you and then blow you off for the next 15 years?” Dash replied sarcastically at Fluttershy’s attempt to get her accept on the compromise.

“I wanted to go to Canterlot anyway, I have some things I need to pick up. Please, at least do it for me.” She kept her best begging face, trying harder than ever. After a couple of moments of silence Dash spoke up.

“Fine, but you're coming with me!” Rainbow Dash shouted unhappily, letting out a sigh at the same time. She hated her parents, she knew nothing was going to change. But how could she deny Fluttershy? They had been great friends for seemingly forever, there was no way she was going to let her parents ruin her friendships.

“We will leave first thing in the morning. Okay, Rainbow Dash?” Fluttershy asked.

“Whatever... I got to go and take Scootaloo home,” Rainbow Dash remarked walking over to the door, not for a moment turning around to look at the letter that lay face up on the table.

When Scootaloo heard this, alarms went off in her head. The sound of small hoofsteps could be heard from inside. Mud covered her hooves from a recent rainfall.

Rainbow Dash opened the door, and to her surprise Scootaloo was walking up the road. The filly had, mud lining her hooves, and wood splinters in her feathers as she slowly trotted by and put on her best surprised face when the cyan mare looked out upon her.

“Scootaloo, come on, it's time to go home.” Rainbow gave Scootaloo a quizzical look as she examined the filly more closely. ”You’re out of breath, and covered in mud, what have you been doing?”

“Oh, just running. Yup. In the woods, got a little out of hoof, trying to improve lung capacity so I can fly longer, you know?” Scootaloo cried gasping for air. The filly knew she was a terrible liar but she gave it her all. Please believe me, please, Scootaloo thought to herself. Rainbow Dash looked on, confused at the sight before her.

“Um, yeah sure. Let’s go home. Ready?” Rainbow Dash asked, a bit exhausted herself. Not wanting to continue asking questions, she dropped the subject to Scoots’ relief.

“Always, Rainbow Dash.” Scootaloo panted now just starting to catch her breath. She let out a silent sigh of relief to herself. Mission Accomplished, she thought.

The mare trotted over to Scootaloo and lowered herself for the filly to jump on. Scootaloo happily jumped on her mentor’s back. She could feel Rainbow’s warm body heat, radiating from her cyan coat. Her heart skipped a beat, she loved flying with Rainbow. Scootaloo wrapped her legs tightly around her, preparing for the rapid acceleration.

“Ready, Squirt?”

“Yup.” With that Rainbow Dash took off. Scootaloo quickly felt the wind blowing through her mane. She hugged her tightly, not wanting to fall off. The wind in her mane felt exhilarating, she dreamed of the day that she could do this on her own. Dash and I, flying through the clouds, sun in the sky, and ponies on the ground wishing they were with us. Scootaloo was lost in her own little daydream on Dash’s back. In less than a couple of minutes Rainbow Dash landed on the front porch of her house.

“You can let go now, Squirt.” The cyan mare looked at the filly on her backside. Scootaloo was snuggled into her mane, eyes closed, dreaming. Dash smiled at the sight of the filly being entwined in her flowing mane. Carefully she shook the filly, just enough to wake her up.

“Oh sorry, Rainbow Dash,” Scootaloo remarked, smiling in embarrassment. The filly slid off her back, making a dull thud when she hit the soft cloud. Dash walked over to the entrance and unlocked it, opening it for Scoots.

“Sorry, Scoots, I would stay up with you and talk, but I have a lot on my mind.” Rainbow Dash sighed as she headed directly for her bedroom. She didn’t want to disappoint Scoots, it was just that the days events had been overwhelming.

“Oh, um, goodnight, Rainbow Dash. I will see you tomorrow,” Scootaloo stated as she watched her mentor leave the room. Normally this would have hurt her feelings, but she knew Dash was under a lot of stress. After what she heard at Fluttershy's, she knew that her mentor needed her space.

Scootaloo wandered about the house, looking for something to do, how could she go to bed on a day like today? Rainbow’s parents, the living and breathing parents of the coolest pony in all of Equestria, they can’t be that bad? Can they? Scoots thought to herself.

Eventually she waltzed into her bedroom, and looked around. She saw the posters and some of her stuff in the corner and that got her thinking. Scootaloo’s parents had been great for the most part, although absent for most of her young life, Scoots still managed to hold onto the good memories of them.

The filly knew her parents were smiling down upon her from wherever they were. Rainbow Dash was quite possibly the best thing that came into the young pegasus’ life. Scoots’ parents would be proud and approve of Rainbow Dash. She had given the filly the best home she could have ever asked for, and more. Scootaloo could walk around Ponyville with her head held high, knowing she was the roommate to the coolest sister in all of Equestria. No longer did she feel alone and lost, like she did in her foster homes.

Although, no longer alone, she still felt like she was letting Rainbow Dash down somehow. She couldn’t shake the feeling no matter what anypony told her. Scoots was housing with the best flier in all of Equestria, and she could barely hold herself in the air. Other fillies and colts her age were already way ahead of her in flight progression. She had to improve and show Rainbow Dash that she was just as great as she was. No matter what cost, it had to be done in her mind.

The filly barely noticed when she walked over to her bed, and slipped under the sheets. Her mind kept racing, but her body was going to sleep. I have to show her. I have to show her. I have to show her. I have to sho... Those were her last thoughts, before she slipped into peaceful rest.

***

Rainbow Dash couldn't sleep either. Her mind was full of past memories. She couldn't stop thinking back to her foalhood. All of her memories that she was able to suppress for all these years came flooding back. She began to sweat and toss and turn in her bed, unable to sleep. One distinct memory came held prevalent in her mind.

“First day of flight school, don't want to be late,” a pegasus mare stated, kneeling down next to the filly.

“Yes, mom,” Rainbow Dash replied. She was just a filly around the age of 5. She didn't have her Cutie Mark yet, and her hair was as wild as Appleloosa. She was still fairly small for her age. Her coat shined brightly and so did her mane.

“Okay, honey, we have to go now. You're going to love flight school, the staff is top notch, you’ll make so many friends.” Her mother consoled her, while combing down her rainbow mane.

“No! Please don’t, I don’t want to go flight school. Just stay here, please.” The mare’s hooves came streaking through her crazy mane, straightening it flat. The filly didn’t fight back, Dash hated her mane straight but it was how her mother would insist she’d wear it.

“Your father has a lot of business that needs to be done out of town and we have some other jobs that we got to do out there, Rainbow. Don't worry, we will be back as soon as possible.” The soft feeling of her mother stroking her mane abruptly stopped. “Alright sweetie, we will always write to you. You’ll know it’s from us because we have this special seal we put on our envelopes, just for you.” Her mother pulled a small metal object out and showed it to Rainbow Dash. It was a small little box that had an imprint of a lightning bolt outlined inside of it.

“Just for me?” Rainbow Dash gleamed with a smile that could melt any heart.

“Just for you,” her mother quickly replied, moving the seal into a saddlebag that laid behind her.

“Come on, honey, we have to go. We can't have Rainbow Dash being late on her first day at school can we?” a stallion remarked, coming out from another room. He trotted over to the scene and threw the saddle bag on his back.

“Can I come with you? I promise I will be good,” the cyan filly asked grabbing onto one of her mother’s hooves. A hoof gently rubbed Rainbow's back. Dash’s eyes met her mother’s as she stared down at the young filly. A soft smiled gleamed on the mare’s face as she slowly pulled the filly off.

“No you can't, your mother and I have some important things to do, Rainbow. We want you to stay here, this is a great school to be enrolled in.” The stallion walked over to the door.” It almost cost me a hoof and a leg to get you in. You will be better off here,” her father remarked motioning his wife toward the door as well.

“But, daddy,” Rainbow Dash cried with tears coming to her eyes. “I want to go with you, don't leave. Please don't leave. I want to be with you.”

“Everything will be fine, Rainbow, but we have to go now.” Rainbow Dash's mom leaned down toward her filly.

“No,” Rainbow Dash cried weakly, as her mom wiped the tears from her eyes.

“It’s okay, honey. Be strong for mommy, alright?” the mare stated, gently holding the small cyan hoof in hers.

“But, mom.” Rainbow Dash whimpered as her mother picked her up and put her filly on her back. Rainbow Dash quickly wrapped her hooves tightly around her mother not wanting to let go not even for a second.

“Hold on tight,” her mother remarked as she took off with Rainbow Dash's father following closely behind. For the entirety of the flight Dash snuggled up in her mother’s warm mane. She didn’t want her parents to leave, she had nopony else. Rainbow cried softly into her mother’s clean coat. She never cried, it was sign of weakness, but she couldn’t help herself. The filly thought that she was losing everything.

Within a couple of minutes they reached the flight school. Her mother landed softly on a cloud outside of the registration building. Their eyes met in unison, Rainbow’s mother looked down into her daughter’s. “Better, Rainbow, you can let go you silly filly.”

“No, I don't want to,” Rainbow Dash protested as she hugged her mother tighter. “I don't want you to leave.” She was not going to move for the world. There was nothing that could take her away from her mother, as far as Rainbow Dash was concerned.

“Here, I got to go fill out some last paperwork. I will be right back,” Rainbow Dash's father remarked, quickly trotting off toward the direction of the registration building.

“It’s alright, Rainbow Dash. Can you let go?” Rainbow Dash's mom asked as she bent her hoof backwards and slid Rainbow Dash around her body to her belly. She sat on her hindquarters with the filly directly on her stomach. She looked down at her filly, clinging tightly to her perfect coat.

Rainbow Dash could not help but smile as her mom slid her onto her stomach. “There she is,” her mother joked as she gently touched Rainbow Dash's nose. At this, Rainbow Dash giggled giving her mother enough time a gently remove Dash's hooves without her noticing. “There’s my Rainbow!” her mother cheered as she began to tickle Rainbow Dash on the cloud.

“Stop, mom! I am ticklish!” Rainbow Dash shouted in joy. While this was going on Rainbow Dash's farther shook the principles hoof and started to move out of the registration building. Once outside, he spotted his wife playing with his daughter and he began the trip over to them, as Rainbow Dash was laughing with her eyes closed. Her father gave a silent discreet nod to her mother. She immediately stopped tickling Rainbow Dash and picked her up as her father came close to her.

“I love you, Rainbow Dash, but it’s time for your mother and me to leave,” Dash’s father told her as he leaned in and kissed Rainbow Dash on the head. He began to pull his head back, the door to the registration opened and the principle began to slowly trot over to the scene.

“It’s time for us to leave now, Rainbow. Give mommy a big kiss okay? We will be back as soon as possible, I promise. I love you Rainbow Dash.” Moving back over to her husband’s side.

“No! I want to go with you!” Dash ran over to her father and jumped on his fore hooves. He looked over to his wife and motioned for her. A sigh left her mouth as she walked over to the filly.

“It’s alright,” her mother replied as she too leaned down and gently turned her filly toward her. Tears could be seen on the mare’s face while she grabbed Rainbow Dash in a hug. The pair held each other tightly together for a couple of seconds before she let go of Dash. “I love you and I always will,” she told her, at the same time she kissed Rainbow Dash on the head. By this point Rainbow Dash was in tears.

“No, don't leave me mom,” Rainbow Dash pleaded. Her mother let go and began to stand up.

“It’s all going to be alright, Rainbow. Look at me. Look me in the eyes.” She lifted Rainbow Dash's head to look directly into her eyes. Tears could be seen making their way down the filly’s bright cyan coat. Her bright magnata eyes fogged up with water forming in her eyes. “It’s all going to work out. Trust me." The mare leaned over again and wiped the tears off of Rainbow Dash's eyes. ”Be strong Rainbow,” she whispered into her daughter's ear.

“No, don't leave!” Rainbow Dash cried as her mother fully stood up next to Dash’s father.

“It’s all going to work out.” Her father placed a hoof on his wife’s back and shot a weak her a smile.

“It’s time to go,” her father remarked sternly, looking down upon his filly. Dash looked up at him with tears in her eyes, all he could do was look away.

“We love you, Rainbow Dash,” her mother assured. The mare obviously looked hurt, the sight of her filly in tears on the ground, was heartbreaking. A small tear streaked down her face, as she looked on, not being able to turn away.

“No! Please!” Rainbow Dash screamed as the principal finally arrived and came over, putting his hoof on Rainbow Dash's shoulder. “No don't leave!” she screamed again, this time trying to charge toward her parents. She was held back by the stallion’s strong hoof on her shoulder, she didn’t care, she tried desperately to get loose but to no avail. The fear on her face could easily be seen, everything she had known in her life was being taken away from her. By this point her mother could no longer bear to look, as more tears started to come down her face.

“NNNOOO! MOM!!!” Rainbow Dash screamed, still struggling against the stallion’s strong hoof. Her mother looked away, unable to bear the sight of her daughter any more.

“Goodbye,” her mother whispered softly as she began to fly off with her husband. Rainbow Dash continued to fight the stallion, desperately trying to free herself to get to her mother. Her eyes bloodshot red, her coat stained, and mind in overdrive. She continued to fight for a couple of minutes before she tired out.

They had left her. The thought began to sink into the filly’s head. They left me, Rainbow Dash remembered thinking to herself, they left me. Her parents were all she had known, and now they were gone. Rainbow looked at her straight mane as she began to run her hooves through it. Emotions quickly changed as she ripped her hooves through her mane, messing it all up. The principle looked on in confusion at the young filly, viciously running her hooves through her rainbow mane.

“Come on, let’s go meet some of your classmates. That will cheer you right up, making some friends. You're going to have a great time here,” the principle remarked trying to comfort her the best he could.

**************************

Rainbow Dash woke up from her sleep, panting. Her heart was racing a mile a minute. She was gasping for air as she looked around her room to make sure everything was alright.

It was just a bad dream, Rainbow. All of that is behind you now. She knew that there was no chance of getting any sleep for the rest of the night, so she just laid down and started thinking.

Dash had loved her mother, she truly did, not like her father. Her mother had always loved her, but Rainbow Dash could never forgive her for breaking her promise. It was two years before she saw her mother again. And when she finally came back, her personality was changed, with that her whole demeanor toward Rainbow changed as well. She had never forgave her mother for not coming back sooner.

She could have forced dad to come back, but no she gave in and just stayed there with him, she thought to herself. Rainbow Dash really hated her parents for leaving her; but it was more her father than her mother. Her father had never really cared about her all that much, but her mother did, or at least she pretended to, quite well. There was a part of her that wanted to forgive her mother, but she just couldn't do it no matter how much she tried.

Eventually Rainbow Dash got up and walked into the kitchen to get a glass of water. After she poured it she walked back past Scootaloo's room, which she noticed was left a crack open. She quickly stopped, turned around and walked back over to Scootaloo's door.

She slowly and gently pushed the door open revealing an orange filly curled up in a ball, sleeping on the bed. Rainbow Dash walked in and just stared at the peaceful filly for a couple of moments. She couldn't help but see part of herself in Scootaloo. Both of Scootaloo's parents were already dead, and she had lived at a local shelter alone for the past couple of years. She was all alone, just like Rainbow Dash, in a world without a mother or father being present. Rainbow Dash leaned over and slowly began to stroke her smooth bright purple mane.

Scootaloo woke up with the feeling of somepony touching her mane. Instead of panicking, she slowly began to crack open one of her eyes to see who it was. Her room was dark but she could easily make out a cyan colored figure sitting next to her on the bed. She knew who it was immediately, it was Rainbow Dash. Instead of getting up, Scootaloo studied her mentor closely, trying to pick up on her emotions. What is she doing here? Isn’t it past her bedtime as well? What’s she doing? Doesn’t she have to get up early to meet Fluttershy?

Rainbow kept stroking the filly's purple mane softly, looking at her closed eyes. Scootaloo’s breathing was slow and methodical, as if in a deep state of sleep. Dash saw herself in the young filly, lost and alone in the world, without love. Images of her younger self were flashing before her eyes. Scootaloo was young, full of life, and ready to take on the world, just like Rainbow was; all she needed was somepony to guide her, be there for her.

Slowly, the cyan mare picked herself up off Scootaloo’s bedside. The orange pegasus caught a glimpse of her mentor’s rainbow tail, walking away. Right before exiting, to Scootaloo’s surprise, she stopped in the middle of the doorway. Seconds went by while the filly watched on, waiting. Rainbow turned her head in an effort to get one last glimpse.

“I won't make the same mistake they’ve made, Scootaloo. I promise you that,” Dash whispered softly.

What? What does that mean? Her mind raced trying to figure out what she just said. She wanted say something, but that would ruin her element of surprise. Rainbow lowered her head, and headed out the doorway. Right as her rainbow tail rounded the corner Scootaloo spoke up.

“I love you, Rainbow Dash.”

I promise you, Scoot, Rainbow Dash thought, I promise. Tears were in her eyes as she slowly exited the room. She carefully closed the door and paced down the hallway back into the kitchen. Dash reached up and opened the cupboard.

She spent a couple minutes searching through the jumble of dishes for something. After about a minute, a key emerged from the cupboard. Dash took a moment to think as the key was set it on the counter. There was no way she was going to make the same mistake her parents had made with her. Rainbow Dash was going to be there for Scootaloo, she was going to raise her by whatever means necessary.

Dash had Gilda as a friend, but that never took the place of the companionship her mother could have given her. She would never wished a foalhood like hers on any other pony. Dash was left alone in her room at flight camp for most of her young life until she met Fluttershy.

Rainbow Dash quickly snapped out of her trance as the key was lifted off the table. She walked over across the living room and into the closet. Coats and other miscellaneous items were pushed aside from the closet, revealing a safe. Dash bent down over to the safe and slid the key carefully into the lock. A small door opened, revealing a folder sitting at the entrance of the safe.The folder was carefully pulled off the shelf, and the safe closed. The folder brought into the moonlight, streaming through the windows, verifying the folder’s contents. It was carefully wrapped under her wings, as the key sailed through the air, back into the cupboard from which it came.

Rainbow Dash walked down the hall pausing for one more quick glance at Scootaloo's door. Dash reached the end of the hallway and opened it to reveal a room that looked like an office with a desk and a lamp sitting in the center. Rainbow Dash carefully closed the door as to not wake Scootaloo. The folder came to rest on the table top, and the lamp turned on. Dash opened the folder to reveal its contents, she quickly read through the packet.The papers were set out on the desk as drawers began to be opened. A pen appeared out of the bottom drawer and landed on the desk right next to the papers. Rainbow Dash sat there for a minute looking at the document set before her.

Never again. I won't make their mistake, Rainbow Dash thought to herself as she quickly flipped through all the pages again. The pen was carefully lifted from the desk by Rainbow Dash’s mouth. The papers were reorganized and set them order out in front of her. She leaned in and pulled her chair closer to the desk as the cover page was pulled back. Written clearly on the top of the second page in bold letters were the words ‘ADOPTION FORMS’.

Author's Note:

I had the idea for this fanfic on the mourning of December 30th. After I got home from work I sat down and thought about it some more. I then proceeded to turn on my computer, I sat down and just started typing. And by 2:30 am I was done. I had the idea in mind and could not stop writing. I hope you will all enjoy it. My pre-reader is on vacation so I had to do this one myself.
Thank you all I hope you all enjoy it.

Thanks
TheFineBrony