• ...
7
 100
 1,737

Some Colorful Characters Along The Way

The brown Earth pony raced down the street, enjoying the feel of a good gallop after the slight inner turmoil he had just been through. The song he had been singing still played over and over in his head. He couldn't wait to see his Ditzy Doo. The Doctor knew exactly how the meeting would go. He'd introduce himself as the heroic Earth pony from earlier. She'd blush and possibly thank him again for saving her from the two bullies. He would brush it off, saying that he was happy to be of service. Then she'd ask him what she could do for him. The Doctor would grin charmingly and tell her that he just liked the company of pretty fillies (or something like that, perhaps wittier or more flattering), causing her blush to deepen. This would be the perfect opportunity to ask her if she'd like to go out sometime, maybe to dinner or a walk around Ponyville.
She couldn't possibly say no!
Now to find her, so he could put his well thought out plan into action.
The Doctor slowed, examining all the faces of the ponies around him, searching for his wall eyed muse.

"Hey, you! Brown Earth pony! Whatsyourname!" a voice called from above.
He looked up. A bright blue Pegasus, with a rainbow colored mane and tail was flapping in the skies above him.
The Doctor would bet his TARDIS that her name included the word 'Rainbow'.

"Yes?" he asked.
She landed in front of him, studying him carefully. "Yeah, you look about the right size...." she said, sounding as if she wasn't even speaking to him.

"Um, what?" The Doctor asked, a bit worried now.
She blinked. "Oh, yeah, sorry. The name's Rainbow Dash. Hey, do you wanna help me with a stunt?"
Looks like he wouldn't have to lose his TARDIS after all.

"Uh, my apologies, but I'm kind of looking for someone. It's going to take me a while to find them, so I'd better not get distracted, if you know what I mean..." The Doctor stammered, backing away from the Pegasus, who was rapidly getting closer to him.

"No, wait! Listen, dude, if you hadn't noticed, I'm a Pegasus! I'm the best flyer in Ponyville! If you help me with this stunt, I'll help you find your friend!"

There was a note of desperation in her tone. Plus, a Pegasus would be quite helpful in finding Ditzy.

"This stunt is very important to you, isn't it?" he inquired.
She nodded rapidly. "It's the only trick that I haven't perfected yet! Last time I tried it, Applejack was helping me, but she was kind of sleep deprived, so it all went haywire! And now she refuses to help me with it ever again, and you two are about the same size, and..."

Her eyes got bigger and she leaned closer.

"...you've gotta help me."
He began to back away again. Maybe this wasn't such a great idea, after all...

"Wait, what's your name?" Rainbow Dash called.

"T-The Doctor." he replied.

"Listen, Doctor, I'm not usually like this. I would NEVER lose my cool like this, in front of all these ponies. And, besides, I've never seen you before. That's not usually me. I don't know what's wrong with me. I just...NEED to do this trick. Please? Will you help me?"

Then, she gave him a puppy dog look, full of desperate need.

The Doctor never could resist a plea for help, no matter the problem....

"Alright, I'll help."

"You promise?" she persisted.

"I promise."

"Cross your heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in your eye?" she asked.

He was silent for a moment. "Yeah. That."

"Say it!" she urged. "You gotta say those words exactly."

Feeling a bit strange, the Doctor cleared his throat. "Um, okay. Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye. Now-"

He was cut off by the Pegasus jumping into the air, pumping her hoof. All signs of desperation or need gone. "YES!"
she cried. Then she looked around. "I won! C'mon AJ, you can come out now! Come claim your defeat!!"

From out of the crowd going about their daily business around them, an orange Earth pony stepped foreward. She had a straw colored mane and tail, and had a stetson perched atop her head.

Nice hat the Doctor thought.

"Aw, shoot." she said, in a thick Southern drawl. "Ah was sure you weren't gonna be able to do it!"

"Well," Rainbow said with a laugh, "I just had to find one gullible enough"

It took the Doctor a second to realize that they were talking about HIM.

And that Rainbow had called him gullible.

"Oy!" he exclaimed. "What are you talking about? And I'm not gullible!"

Rainbow Dash snorted. "You kinda are, buddy."
Applejack shot her a glare. "Rainbow Dash! You apologize right now."
Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. "Fine. So-rry" she said, sounding a bit less than sorry.

"That's better." Applejack said, before the Doctor had a chance to say anything. The farm pony turned to the time traveler. "Sorry about Rainbow. Ah don't think I've seen you round before. I'm Applejack."

The pony grabbed his hoof and shook it vigorously, as if trying to remove his arm. Or leg. Whatever.

"The Doctor." he replied a bit warily. "Now, what were you and your rainbow colored friend talking about?"
She shot a look at the disinterested Rainbow Dash.

"Just some bet that we made. Whoever got somepony to Pinkie swear to something first was the winner."

"Pinkie swear?" The Doctor asked, confused.

"Yeah, Pinkie swear. What, you've never heard of a Pinkie swear?" Rainbow Dash cut in.

"RD! Quit bein' rude." Applejack scolded. To the Doctor, she said, "A Pinkie swear is the thing you just did. Ya know. Cross my heart and hope to fly-"

"-stick a cupcake in my eye, yeah, that." The Doctor finished. "Strange bet."

"Well, maybe, but what else have we got to do?" Rainbow Dash asked. "I'm soooo bored."

"Here's something you can do." The Time Lord said, getting an idea, "You could uphold your end of the bargain and help me find the pony I was looking for."

Applejack gave Rainbow a questioning look, which she ignored. She was contemplating his offer. "Well, I suppose I could. Yeah, sure. As kind of an apology for involving you in AJ and mine's bet."

The Doctor beamed. This was going well. He'd be able to meet Ditzy again! His hearts fluttered.

"This means you'll owe me, you know." he heard Rainbow say. He looked at her incredulously, and found her smiling at him. "Just kidding, don't worry."

She turned to Applejack. "Don't think you're off the hook. I'm gonna be thinking of what you have to do, since you lost the bet."

The Earth pony groaned. "Fine. See you, RD. Nice meetin ya, Doctor."
Then she trotted off.

The Doctor and Rainbow were left alone. She turned to him.

"So, who are we looking for?"

He cleared his throat. "Do you know a pony named Ditzy Doo?"

She stared at him for a moment. Then she burst out in laughter.

"What's so funny?" he demanded.

"Derpy? That's who you're looking for? Derpy Hooves?"
He felt his face heat up. "She prefers Ditzy, you know."

Rainbow giggled. "Why in Equestria would you be looking for Derpy? Did she break something of yours? Cause if you're trying to make her pay for it, get in line."

"I have my reasons." he replied vaguely, knowing what the Pegasus's reaction would be if he told her his true intentions. "Do you have any idea where she might be, so we can begin?"

Rainbow's torrent of laughter had subsided enough to allow her to put her hoof on the Doctor's shoulder. "Buddy," she said, "I bet I know exactly where she is."

Author's Note:

And.....ta-da! Yet another chapter completed! I know, this one's a bit of a let down, maybe a little slow, but I don't want things to happen too fast. Plus, I want to add as many characters from MLP:FiM as possible. Rainbow Dash is not my favorite pony in the world, (though one of my best friends LOVES her) but Applejack is my all time favorite, and I'm glad I could include her. Well, I can't think of anything witty to say in the disclaimer, so I don't own MLP, or anything else important and awesome, for that matter. Thanks for reading this far, everypony!