• ...
7
 100
 1,737

Derping Around Ponyille

The Doctor emerged from the Books and Branches Library, blinking in the bright sunlight. He'd been cooped up inside all day, and being outside felt weird. Still, it was better than hanging around with Twilight. She was grumpy today, for some reason. Sure, Twilight could be a bit...stern, but it was rare for her to actually be in a bad mood.

Ah, well. Things to do, adventures to be had, ponies to meet!

Normally, the Doctor wouldn't care for this sort of thing. He wasn't really good at making 'friends'. Besides his assistant, of course, and a few choice others, he was basically secluded from society. Being a time traveler had it's ups and downs, just like anything else.

He looked to the left and the right. Nobody-er, nopony, seemed to be around. He began trotting at a brisk pace towards the market place. His first task was to pick up some carrots. If only he had the TARDIS, he could just appear wherever he needed to be, whenever he needed to be. It was much more efficient than all this walking. The brown Time Lod pony approached the vendor's stall, where a sleepy looking light orange mare was reclining in the shade.

"Um....excuse me?" the Doctor said, getting her attention. She groaned and got up, giving him an unfriendly glare.

"Yeah?" she demanded. "Whatd'ya want?"

"Well," the Doctor began, missing no chance to point out the obvious, "since this is a carrot stand, you'd almost assume that I'd want some carrots, now would you?"

Maybe a bit rude on his part, but she started it!

The mare gave him one last glare, then, to his surprise, her face broke out in a grin. "New around here, aren't you? I'm Carrot Top, and how many carrots would'ya like?"

The Doctor blinked in surprise. Oh. Guess this whole 'friend making' business wasn't that hard, after all. He gave her his trademark wide, crazy grin and replied, "I'm the Doctor. Erm, I think two dozen carrots should do the trick. That's four bushels, correct?"

"Yup." Carrot Top agreed. She reached under the table and pulled out four bushels of tasty looking carrots. She was about to give them to him before she raised an eyebrow. "No saddlebags? No bits?"

The Doctor gasped. "I knew there was something I forgot! Blast! I'll run back to the library, I suppose, and-"

"Hold on there. Don't worry, I got'cha covered. These are on the house." the orange pony interrupted.

He beamed with gratitude. "Thank you. That's very kind."

She waved it off. "No problem-o. See ya around.

He took the carrots in his mouth and was about to leave. He paused, and turned back to her, looking sheepish.

"You wouldn't happen to have a bag, would you?"

~<*>~
About thirty minutes later, the Doctor trotted away from the library, saddlebags over his back, with bits jingling merrily from within. He had left the carrots at Twilights, gotten his saddlebags and some bits from the unicorn, and now he was starting again.

"Let's see...." he muttered, as he consulted his list. "Next stop is....quills? All she wrote is 'quills'! How in blazes does she expect me to find quills when I don't know half of these stores?" he complained to himself.

The Doctor looked up and down the row of stores uncertainly. "I suppose I could go back to the carrot stand and ask that Carrot Top pony. She'd probably know. But it's so very far, and, knowing me and my ADHD pony brain, I'll probably forget. Hmmmmm....I could just-"

CRASH!
The Doctor's thoughts were cut off as he ran straight into a yellow and pink Pegasus. He sat up, dazed, and saw that she was doing the same. She had been carrying a cardboard box, which had fallen off her back in their collision.

Oh, oh my. I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to run into you! I should watch where I'm going more often, I'm so sorry!" the mare spluttered. She was slightly built and very dainty looking, with a voice to match. Her coat was a bright yellow, while her mane was a gentle pink. It was her eyes, though, that caught the Doctor's attention. They were robin's egg blue, and very innocent looking. She was looking at him with a pleading expression, as if begging him not to be mad at her. He wasn't, of course, but even if he was, the Doctor knew he wouldn't have stayed that way for long. He gave her a gentle smile, much different than the energetic, happy smile he usually had on.

"That's quite alright, my dear. I wasn't looking where I was going. The fault is mine."

He was playing the gentleman-or pony, he supposed-in the situation. He had a feeling it would calm her down, and he was right. She smiled back tentatively.

"Oh, well, thank you, sir."
He stood and helped her up. "I'm the Doctor." he told the shy Pegasus.

"I'm-I'm-" she began. Then she took a step back and hid her face in her hair. She muttered something.

"I'm sorry, what?" the Doctor asked, confused.

"I'm-" Then, as before, she lowered her head and muttered something. This time, the Doctor was ready for it, and listened. Her mumbling sounded somewhat like 'Fluttershy'.

"Fluttershy?" he inquired. She nodded slightly. They stood in awkward silence for a moment. The Doctor was getting a bit annoyed. "Nice to meet you, Fluttershy. Now, I was wondering, do you, by any chance, know where quills are sold around here?"

She nodded again, opened her mouth to say something, then just pointed down the street, at a certain shop. He couldn't read the name of the shop from here, so he hoped she was right.

"Thank you. I suppose I'll see you around then?" The Doctor asked, still behaving like a gentlepony.

Fluttershy looked up at him. She smiled. "Sure." she said quietly.

He gave her one last grin, some of his eccentricity showing through. Then, he turned and walked down the street, towards the quill shop.

~<*>~
The rest of his shopping passed without any real problems. It was quite a lot of work, though. All that walking. He did manage to meet quite a few ponies along the way. He didn't remember half of their names, but he was good with faces (sort of), so that'd have to do. Finally, though, he was done. His saddlebags were full to bursting and his hooves were tired. Maybe he was making too much of a deal out of it, but that was what he did best.

The Doctor was making his way back to Twilight's library. He couldn't wait to get back to the peace and quiet. The noon-ish sleepiness of the town had long since worn away, and now the marketplace was full of ponies. He decided to take somewhat of a shortcut through town. He passed Carrot Top's booth and made sure to wave at her. Being friendly was hard work, but it paid off. He went down side streets and alleys, got lost more than once, and ended up by a familiar looking fountain. The Doctor decided he deserved a rest. He took off his saddlebags and rubbed his back. Then, he plopped down with a sigh.

His contentment was interrupted, however, by a certain sound. A sound that the Doctor had heard more than once. Laughter. But not just any laughter. Stupid sounding laughter. Mean sounding laughter. The laughter of a creature obviously lacking in a few IQ points.

The laughter of a bully.

Author's Note:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Badda bing! Second chapter! Like a bawss! Please rate and comment and whatever else you feel like doing. I was reading some other stories and stuff and I saw that they all had disclaimers. I'm not sure if i absolutly HAVE to write a disclaimer, but better to be safe than sorry, right? Well, i don't own My Little Pony, that's for sure. I don't own anything about this story, except the story itself! So, yeah. Constructive critiscim would be great!