• Published 2nd Jan 2013
  • 3,629 Views, 54 Comments

How Derpy met The Doctor - Haybales22



A love story about Derpy and Doctor Whooves.

  • ...
13
 54
 3,629

Chapter 1

Derpy was flying around above Ponyville, bumping into clouds she couldn't quite see. Her eyes impared her vision slightly, but she didn't really care. All that mattered was that she could see, and that she could fly. Derpy loved to fly. It was her favorite thing in all of Equestria, other than muffins. Derpy did love muffins. She thought about buying a muffin. She had gotten paid this week. She didn't always get paid. Sometimes she had to pay her boss. Sometimes she broke boxes, or messed up deliveries, or dropped boxes on ponies. If only she got paid for that. But when something is broken, somepony needs to pay for it, and it was usually the pony who broke it, and Derpy was usually that pony. She decided to buy a muffin, even though that would cost all this weeks money. Oh well. She could always do odd jobs for the Cakes, or she could pick up a shift on the weather patrol. She aimed for Sugarcube Corner, and came in for a landing.

The Doctor stepped out of his phone-box, looking around at this strange new land. This certainly wasn't 1969! It was cartoony and colorful. he started walking, but discovered he couldn't. He looked down and discovered...

"Hooves?" he asked incredulously. He looked around him and saw, "Ponies?!?!" He was amazed, but they looked confused. He stumbled towards a fountain and looked at his reflection. HE was a pony too! "This cannot be happening!" he cried. Suddenly he was hit by a grey and yellow mass of fur and feathers.


"I'm sorry! I couldn't see you there! Are you alright?" A grey and yellow pony stood over him, staring at him with two lazy amber eyes. The pony cocked her head and spread her wings. Wings? Ponies didn't have wings! At least, not on Earth they didn't!

"Yes, I'm fine, thank you... Would you mind telling me where we are?" The Doctor stood up and straightened his tie. At least he had retained some form of his humanity.

"We're in Ponyville!" shouted the pony. "What's your name? My name is Derpy!"

"Umm... I am known as the Doctor." He really couldn't tell her everything about him, could he?

"Doctor who?" the pony asked. It... She obviously forgot the conversation's topic for a moment. "Hey, I like your Cutie Mark!"

He cleared his throat, "My what?" She pointed, and he saw a small hourglass on his flank. "Oh."

"So what is your name?

"I uh... don't really have a name..."

"Silly colt! Everypony has a name! If you really don't have a name, we'll have to give you a name! I'm going to call you Time-Turner!" and with that, the pony trotted off, obviously intending for him to follow her. He couldnt be wasting time with ponies, he needed to get back to Amy and Rory! At least he had the TARDIS here with him, as long as nobody- he smiled- no-pony tried to use it. Now that would be a disaster.

The Doctor followed "Derpy", as she had called herself, to a building designed to look like a giant cupcake. He straightened his tie and walked inside. He was getting good at this whole trotting thing! Inside, he found some sort of a cafe inside, and Derpy was up at the counter, ordering something or other from a pink and blue pony. Ponies weren't supposed to be pink or blue! Ponies on Earth were, well, pony colored! Well, if ponies here could tak, and build buildings that looked like pastries, and run businesses, then he supposed they could be whatever color they wanted. Derpy recieved a plate with two muffins on it, and she handed the pony at the till a few small golden tokens. The pony gave them back, nodded at him andd then looked to Derpy. Derpy shook her head no, and trotted to a table with the muffins. One was purple, the other was brown with darker specks.

"I didn't know your favorite flavor, so I just got you a brown muffin. Mrs.Cake was nice giving us free muffins!" She abruptly buried her mouth in the purple muffin and began eating. The Doctor looked to the muffin and picked it up with his hooves. It looked alright to eat, a bit cartoonish, but otherwise safe. He took a bite. Chocolate chips, his favorite. This pony society wasn't so bad after all.

They finished eating their muffins and went outside. The Doctor checked on the TARDIS and made sure nopony could see it. He walked around this "Ponyville" place with Derpy, and gathered information. They were in Ponyville, which was part of Equestria. Not the capitol city, that was Canterlot. Las Pegasus, Appaloosa and Cloudsdale were other cities nearby. Their country was ruled by two Princess ponies; Princess Celestia, and Princess Luna. And apparently Derpy loved everything about this country. He tried to see the world from her point of view; a mentally disabled (or at least unstable) pegasus who worked a low paying job so that she could buy purple muffins. He just couldn't understand why she was so happy! On Earth, a mentally disabled person wouldn't be doing something important like delivering mail and packages, they would be in a home for people like themselves, or in a shopping center making $10 an hour as a greeter. She really did have quite the life. They walked to her small house as it was getting dark.

"I guess I'll see you tomorrow then?" he asked tentativly. He was really taking a shine to this pony.

"Or you could stay with me! If you didn't have other plans..." Derpy looked sad at the idea that somepony else would get to have a sleepover with her new best friend.

"I didn't really have any other arrangements made." He had assumed that ponies slept outside or in stables. It seemed they lived in fully functioning houses, with running water, lighting and even beds. Derpy invited him to share the bed with her, but he politely declined, and decided to sleep on the couch. He blew out the candle on the table beside him, and slowly drifted off to sleep, glad he had made a friend in this strange world.