• Published 30th Dec 2012
  • 1,311 Views, 30 Comments

Equestria Online - Featherwing



Alex didn't expect to be in a game filled with ponies, but he is. Didn't expect his sister to go missing, or for his only friend to be an extremely inexperienced purple mage, but... it happen right?

  • ...
3
 30
 1,311

Prologue: Equestria Online

Equestria Online



Prologue: Equestria Online

So it all started with my little sister and her obsession over ponies. It all happened a few years ago when they rebooted the show I guess and not only her. A crap ton of people loved it. She tried me to get on the bandwagon of course, but a 16 year old guy like myself watching ponies, fat chance. I often made fun of her teasing her for watching the show at her age. I mean she was 14, shouldn't she be thinking about boys and going out with her friends.

I cursed myself mentally rubbing my hand on my face.

I shouldn't have been thinking that, or a lot of things, but let’s just say I’d rather have to deal with some punk trying to date my sister instead of being in the situation I am in now…

It all started about two weeks ago, when she purchased this new game called Equestria Online.

2 weeks earlier...

Alex looked at his sister shaking his head as she placed the disk into the tray. Anticipation literally leapt off her as she couldn't keep her fingers still at the excitement. The girl was in her young teens, 14, and her brother rolled his eyes as she flashed him a smile. “I can’t believe you saved up 60 bucks went out and bought that.” He mocked her rolling his eyes.

“Actually $80, it’s the collector’s edition.” I’m happy I got it to she hugged the case. “It was the last copy.”
He pulled the case out of her hand. He examined the front of the case that had two alicorns on the front. Both whose manes seem to flow when he moved the case? “And just who are these two supposed to be?”

Claire snatched the box from his hand and frowned. “That’s Princess Celestia and her sister Luna. Geez, you really don’t know much do you?”

“I know you just spent 80 bucks on a video game.” Alex frowned. Looking at the screen the game installed quickly and the loading screen came up. It installed the patches quickly; he guessed they wouldn’t have much since the game just came out. He sighed and walked away hearing the phone. Heading towards the ringing the boy tripped nearly toppling over a stuffed animal.

Groaning he picked it up to see it was a purple unicorn with a multi-colored mane.

Growling he threw the stuffed animal at the wall and answered the phone in a hurry. “Hello…”

“Oh Alex!” It was their mother. His demeanor instantly changed. “Did your sister make it home alright, I told her not to be out to late getting uhm… that video game…”

He rolled his eyes once more. He and his mother shared the same sentiments about Claire’s strange obsession with the show. His sister always argued that they would never fully understand. Perhaps he didn’t, the last phase the teen had was when Pokémon and the Power Rangers were still around. “Well hopefully it’s just a phase.”

The teen heard his sister groan from the living room. He guessed she was having trouble trying to get the computer to work. He shook his head in worry chuckling. She had never been to savvy with technology. His mother smiled at his comment. “Well just make sure that your helping her install that game. I will be home in about an hour or so.”

“Kay mom, alright bye.” Alex hung up the phone and headed next to his sister who seemed to be having trouble. “What’s going on? You didn’t break anything did you?”

“No it’s just the thing is going so slow!” She cursed sitting back.

He guessed so many people were trying to access the game at once it was lagging the whole system. He didn’t even bother explaining it, doubting she would understand what he was saying. “Just give it a minute okay, don’t touch anything I will be back.”

Alex left to the kitchen rolling his eyes. He went around the house cutting various objects connected to the internet off. He hoped that this would make the internet go faster. Walking back to the living room the lights suddenly cut off. Stopping dead in his tracks he looked up to his lights flickering on and off as if struggling to keep on. That’s weird he walked to the window, looking out on the large city of Seattle. The lights cut off various sections. “What in the world.”

A sudden vibration turned his vision to his pocket. Alex pulled out his cellphone, the Iphone spazed out. The screen shifting bright colors, and sounded it’s ringtones as loud as possible. He dropped the phone swearing he saw a face appear. Falling back he pushed away from the device which had gone quiet and emit a sinister laugh. “What the hell-“

Alex…” His sister sounded breathless.

Out the corner off his eye he saw the computer screen suddenly turn on and Equestria Online’s booting screen loading. A bright button appeared with the words ‘Enter the World.’ Claire’s hand lightly landed on the mouse. The cursor moved towards the button. Claire bit the bottom of her lip as she heard her brother shout out in objection to stop.

“Claire don’t touch it!” He yelled once more!

She hesitated, but interest had gotten the best of her. She clicked on the mouse and a bright light burst from the monitor. Claire’s eyes widen as the light enveloped her grasping her whole body and dragging her into the screen. “Alex help!!” She screamed.

Alex stood up and ran at the screen his heart racing as he grabbed her hand. “Claire just hold on!!”He yelled! The boy got a firm grip on the desk and pulled with all his might, to no avail. The light was stronger. When his gaze returned back to her arm he saw that half of his arm was enveloped in the computer screen. “What the hell…” A yank pulled him forward pulling half his body into the screen. His arm gripped the monitor struggling, fighting to stay in the real world.

He looked to his sister whose hand was slipping. She had the look of pure terror on her face. Alex looked up to the screen where his fingers finally gave way and they fell into the spiraling abyss. Claire’s scream rang in his ears as he looked to his sister. Her hand slipped and she felt her body getting torn apart by the winds that separated them both.
“CLAAAAAAIIIIREEEEEE!!!”

Alex felt a sharp pain as his body was getting ripped apart, his arm turning into 1’s and 0’s. “What… what the hell is going on!” He looked towards his sister once more whose tears escaped at their final moment together. “Claire!!!”

Meanwhile in the Grand Library of the Canterlot Castle a purple mare paced back and forth her mind jarred. Confused at what was happening. She looked in every book possible, searched every catalog or record she could find, but it was all in vain. Mentally cursing herself the pony groaned. “What in Celestia is going on.” She murmured looking out into the land. Humans were appearing everywhere. At first she had heard vague rumors, but of course she and the other scholars denounced them quickly.

Sighing she moved to the window. Placing her hooves on the ceil she saw panic.

They were claims that Princess Celestia herself had summoned these humans back to Equestria, but why? That was the only thing that had confused her. Dropping down the pony was stumped. What would be their course of action? They already had the Gate to worry about and the Queen was whole other problem.

“Maybe you should try asking the Princess.” A voice sounded. A dragon appeared under a pile of books brushing himself off. “That might help.”

“Oh Spike.” The mare giggled taking the remaining book off of his head. She smiled warmly at her baby dragon, she still remembered the day she had hatched his egg. She knew his intentions were good, but questioned if he knew the tenacity of the situation that they were in. The pony moved towards a book that she had previously reading.

The book was about humans. Flipping through its pages it told the tale of old. “Humans were once…”

The suddenly shut and the sound of hooves could be heard behind the mare. “Lost in the pages once again I see.” She giggled. “I’m sure that you are panicking just like every other pony around here aren’t you, Twilight Sparkle?” Princess

Celestia smiled warmly at her apprentice warming a comforting wing around.

Twilight felt more at ease with her mentor here and accept the gesture gratefully. “Princess I just don’t understand. The humans returning to Equestria it’s a phenomenon. It wasn’t centuries ago that their kind all, but vanished. Why would they come back now?” She looked to her the Princess who looked at her student thoughtfully. “The rumors to, that you summoned them back here to help us?”

Celestia looked off into the distances her eyes glazing over. “It is true that I did so Twilight. Out of good measure, the humans have something to offer us. Something we seem to be losing. Hope.”

Twilight stood up her ears down. This had upset her. “But Princess, were not losing hope. If me and the other mages had more time! We can research other spells and find a way to open the gate! The humans will only add to the problem we…”

“We have to have faith young one.” Celestia whispered smiling at her apprentice. “Twilight Sparkle, humans have returned to Equestria indeed. This is a fact, but with both ponies and humans working together we can achieve something we haven’t
been able to before. Have I ever steered you wrong before my student?”

Twilight shook her head smiling weakly at her mentor. “I’m just worried is all?”

“Don’t be.” She chided leaving the library. Glancing back she commented. “Once this mess is cleaned you and Spike meet me in the throne room. I have task I can only trust to the both of you.”

Twilight’s ears perked up with interest. Did the Princess have a quest for her?

The unicorn’s horn shone a pale purple as she placed the hundreds of books she had been reading back to their respective places. Twilight looked to Spike who had fallen asleep once more under a pile of books and nudged the baby dragon.

“Come on Spike the Princess wants to see us.”

Spike groaned getting up. “Alright, alright. What does she need anyway?”

Twilight smiled glancing back. “We’re going on a quest.”

Alex awoke with a start breathing heavily. His face was soaked with sweat. The teen sat up and looked at his hands. They were shaking violently, trembling at the memory of his dismemberment. The young man took a second to breathe letting his body calm down, recollecting his thoughts of what had just occurred. Then it hit him. “Claire!” The boy jolted up screaming. But no reply came. His heart sank, it was then that he realized. Looking around him, he was not home anymore, but he was somewhere else.

He turned around and saw large plains spanning for miles on end.

His backed up his feet touching the water. “What the hell…” he repeated once more. He turned around and splashed some of the water into his eyes hoping this nightmare would end. Washing his eyes he looked into the pool of water once more and saw that face was the same, dark jet black hair, bright blue eyes, and a rather small nose, but his attire had changed all together. Instead of the clothes he had once before his hoodie had been replaced with a ragged looking tan shirt and his
jeans with tattered shorts. He wore sagged sandals and his body was covered in dirt.

In front of him a bright screen flashed with an envelope appearing.

“Congratulations you have just received your first mail!” The enveloped flashed bright. Alex hesitantly touched the letter and it open just like a word document. Scrolling down he read the letter in full.

“Greetings, if you are just receiving this letter it means that you are new to the wonderful land of Equestria. I am its Princess, Celestia, you have been summoned here along with several other young warriors because you display the great courage needed to combat an ancient evil and save these lands. Alex47 you are one of the last hopes to this world. With sword in hand and magic in the other you must band together with your allies and reach the dark gates and defeat the evil Queen who dares to plague this world. Are you up to the challenge?

Once the letter was read in full it disappeared with a pop and a coin purse fell into his hand. “Congratulations! You have just receive 100 gold!” The boy stood up dusting off his pants and looking out into the open field. He saw smoke rising from the homes and sighed. A town wasn’t too far off. He was sure other players were freaking out just like he had been, maybe even worse. He mentally cursed himself, he didn’t want to admit it was true, but he was trapped in an online video game.

He strapped the coin purse to his belt and looked above his head. Their displayed his name, level, and health. He scoffed, he was weak, but what to expect for a level one. Gripping his hands together he set out down the path, he had to level up quick if he expect to get stronger and to hopefully find his sister.

Author's Note:

My first real story on this website. My usual stomping grounds are on fanfiction.net. I have been there for the past five years, but I wanted to try a new website out. I thought it would be interesting to see where it would go. This story draws alot of inspirations from rpgs, and the show itself so please give it a chance. Anywho thanks for reading!