• Published 28th May 2013
  • 500 Views, 15 Comments

Dividing Unity - Bently96



Ruhig Fortepiano is a Pegasus activating in Equestria as the ambassador of a powerful, unnamed empire. Soon, he encounters new relations as a new worker arrives under his subordination, and the 2 kingdoms achieve an earlier unseen, strive for unity..

  • ...
0
 15
 500

Delicate Errands

Following the strictly imposed order of nature, morning was yet again starting to prevail over Equestria. Though with a low speed, the sun was blessing the ground with it’s warm rays. As usually, the vivant kingdom started performing it’s daily routine, bringing up the perfectly calibrated and harmonious system the society evolved perhaps during long centuries. As usually at the early hour, Ruhig was starting his own day. Unusual for him, he got off the bed quite slowly, perhaps because of the late night he had yesterday. Yet, he couldn’t allow a little apparent exhaustion to take over his morality, regaining his vivant spirit. Just as he got used during months of living and working in Equestria, Ruhig started his morning routine. He went in the kitchen, setting the water to boil up slowly for his morning tea. In the meantime, we went to the bathroom, observing in the mirror a tired face expression, despise his internal spirit. Right after rapidly washing up in the relatively cold water, the face mimics were starting to correspond to his attitude. Successively after performing his wash-up, the water has boiled, and Ruhig continued his calm and slow morning. On the way to the kitchen, he inserted an arbitrary record in the gramophone, starting to think of even more arbitrary predictions about the upcoming work day. After his calm breakfast in the calm musical ambiance, he came up to the wardrobe dressing up, looking curiously through some accessories he never used before. Ruhig came up to his desk, picking as usually his signature pocket watch. Finally, after nothing productive could keep him inside the house anymore, he went outside, feeling straight at the exit the cold wind and cool air.

Ruhig took a deep breath and rapidly took off, heading as usually towards the embassy, anticipating up on the way there, the events that are bound to happen in just another few days. Once spotting the building, he slowly landed, allowing himself to walk the rest of the way up to it. On the short way up to it, Ruhig was admiring the city, ignoring the fact that his entourage has already become a routine for him. At that hour, just like during any other hour, Canterlot was literally breathing out with life, ponies walking cheerfully through the cold, yet, warm spirited streets. Another sign of the life Canterlot contained inside were the carriages, common way of transportation, which, ignoring the fact that was rather widely used, produced too little noise to be a noticeable impediment for someone’s thoughts.

Once overpassing all the small, yet wonderful elements the busy city had to offer, Ruhig entered the embassy, where the working atmosphere was correspondently rather visible. Everyone already started preparing for the events the building will host just the next day. Walking through the corridors admiring the working dedicated small community, Ruhig approached Mrs. Inkdrop.

“Good morning Mrs. Inkdrop, how are you today ?” said Ruhig joyously

“Good Mr. Ambassador.” Said she while browsing through some files.

“I see the whole building is already preparing for the events we will hold tomorrow, could you please give me a list of all the necessary errands left to verify and prepare ?”

“Yes, of course.” Said Inkdrop while handing over a few papers.

“Well, this ensures me a relatively dynamic day. Thank you for now Mrs. Inkdrop, have a nice day.” Said he browsing through the few pages while walking away.

“You as well Mr. Ambassador.”

Ruhig headed towards his office where he took a look as usually a look out of the window faced behing his working desk. Though in a warm ambiance, Ruhig was having an impression he feels the chilly weather outside. Ignoring the last 10 minutes, and the fact that the building is located in the political and cultural zone of Canterlot, one of the only few considerable signs of life he was already seeing outside was a large and relatively luxurious black colored, soft roofed carriage, parked right on the other side of the street. After staring at the transport for a few seconds, Ruhig turned back his attention towards the list of errands left in order to prepare the embassy for it’s event. He observed a lot of quite obvious elements were still missing, requiring a relatively short term of realization. Ruhig walked up to a library shelf in his office and took out 2 plane-tables, distributing in them the list of activities proportionally. He exited his office carrying with him the 2 lists approaching Mr. Presspapier’s office. Ruhig knocked at his door, but despise his good hearing, didn’t hear any reaction. He slowly turned the door handle entering the empty office.

“Well, this can mean only 2 things, either Mr. Presspapier is late, either I am.” Mumbled Ruhig slowly.

So, Ruhig decided to check the epicenter of the activities he is responsible to control, the back yard of the embassy. He walked through the properly decorated numerous halls and corridors of the embassy, arriving at the first floor.

The first floor, according to the events the building will host, didn’t suffer a great redecoration. Considering its already rich and luxurious appearance, the only changes affecting it are small elements of interior décor such as festive tables, audio equipment, ribbons, and so on. Once overpassing the first floor, Ruhig exits onto the back yard of the embassy. Despise of its apparently silly name of “back yard”, that was a rather large and voluminous parcel of land, being able to be compared to a small park. In this time of year, the numerous oak and birch trees were already leafless, creating a visual atmosphere of space and amplitude. Throughout the territory, Ruhig was observing many staff workers moving around on small errands, just as inside a bee’s hive, each bringing its own small contribution in the society. And thus, walking through the workers Ruhig finally observes Mr. Presspapier, who apparently was busy in some organizational moments himself. Ruhig briefly smiled, and with a rather usual silence, came up closer to him, putting unnoticeable his left hood over Mr. Presspapier’s shoulder.

“Hello Mr. Presspapier, already with the head in work I see.” Said Ruhig rapidly with an entertained tonality.

“What, who ?!!......” Shivered Mr. Presspapier. “Oh, hello Ruhig. Yes, we have a busy day ahead” said he while levitating a plane-table and a pen.

“Have to agree. Though, honest to be, despise the fact that the event we prepare serves to entertain, the very process is quite monotonous.”

“Thinking of it, you are right Ruhig, this is pretty ironic.” Replied Presspapier while looking at his plane-table.

“We have a busy day ahead in that case Mr. Presspapier.” Said Ruhig while tapping Mr. Presspapier on the back.

“Speaking of days, how was your night yesterday ?” smiles childishly Mr. Presspapier

“Don’t see a great bond between the two but, speaking of it, that entertaining.” Smiled Ruhig while looking at his own task list.

“I saw you got to use the content of the book I gave yesterday” said Mr. Presspapier with a somehow cheerful, joking atmosphere.

“You may say so.” Said Ruhig while pointing with his pen to Mr. Presspapier slowly. “Well, I suppose I have some supervision work to do, until later Mr. Presspapier.” Said he smiling in his turn.

“Until later Ruhig.”

While leaving, Ruhig remembered the fact that he wanted to ask Mr. Presspapier for some help, turning back with a specific joyous mannerism.

“Almost forgot, I just wanted to ask some help Mr. Prespsapier.” Said Ruhig while stretching his neck.

“Help in what Ruhig ?” Said Mr. Presspapier with an, apparent mislead.

“In the preparation process naturally. You understand, I…..don’t fit too well in the concept of bureaucracy.”

“Sorry Ruhig, I am stacked myself” Said he while levitating his plane-table in front of Ruhig, “have work for some hours forward.”

“Oh, I see. Well, could you please recommend me someone in that case ?”

“Ruhig, you are the most superior rank of this institution, you could ask anyone” laughs childishly “How about our new “Charge d’affaires” ? “

“Perhaps you are right, but I don’t think she knows the way my mind works. We are not that familiar yet.”

“Oh Ruhig, please don’t give me that. I saw the way you were bonding yesterday at the ball” laughed Presspapier.

Ruhig smiled a little irritated and tired “That…dear Mr. Prespsapier, is why I don’t like to combine work with leisure time. But you are often right, I suppose I could ask her.” Said he laughing a little.

“Have a nice day.” Said Presspapier smiling.

“You as well Mr. Presspapier.” Replied Ruhig thinking.

While walking away Ruhig slowly mumbles with a somehow amused face expression….

“You and your clever remarks Mr. Presspapier. The perfect combination of innocent childish mocking and old wisdom.” Giggles proficiently.

So, Ruhig slowly walks back into the embassy, taking again a look through the building during it’s preparation process. In a short time, without any other distraction, he approached Ms. Touche’s office knocking at her door.

“May I come in ?”

He heard from behind the door a rather startled voice “Yes, of course”. Ruhig enters the office seeing Ms. Touche rapidly stocking a pile of papers in the drawer of her desk.

“Hello Ms. Touche *smiles*. May I ask of you a favor ?”

“ ….Of course.” Replied she confused.

“As you may have observed today, our embassy is in the middle of hosting an event similar to the one we participated in just yesterday. Speaking of which, I enjoyed your company yesterday.”

“Thank you.” Said she smiling.

“The point is that I have a certain list of errands I need to take care of, and since I am not the best of bureaucrats, I wanted to ask some help from you.” Said Ruhig with his usual thinking mannerism.

“What kind of help ?”

“Oh nothing too complicated, basically just following me and checking I didn’t miss anything important.”

“Alright then, with pleasure. But I need a list of some sort Mr. Ruhig.”

“No problem at all” smiles while passing Ms. Tocuhe the second plane-table with his wing. “Well then, let’s start shall we, the day promises to be interesting.”

And so, for the next approximately two hours Ruhig and Ms. Touche were walking along the entire embassy building verifying the proper process of preparation for the main event hosted the next day. Along the process, ignoring the fact that he was dedicated to work, he was feeling rather vivant doing it with Ms. Touche. So, unusually for Ruhig, though the process was monotonous and long, the time passed relatively fast and efficiently. After some other minutes of leisure walking, Ruhig, having Ms. Touche following him, opened a large wooden door entering one of the most special rooms the embassy had to offer. It was a large reception room, decorated in an exquisite classical style, having the wood covered walls lit up by a large, crystal chandelier. Another central element of composition in the room was a large, portrait of a stallion wearing a military outfit, standing on his back legs. Next to the large portrait, there were located 2 sofas, with a small round table placed between them.

“Well, thank you for your help Ms. Touche, this is the last room you will assist me with.”

“How exactly Mr. Ruhig ?”

Ruhig thought a little saying “Actually, in no way. Though this room presents the greatest interest in the signing of the alliance treaty.”

“Interesting.”

“You can take a seat Ms. Touche” said he while approaching the larger “war stallion” portrait. Ruhig widened his wing and talking a hold of the encrusted frame of the portrait. With a rather delicate move, he moved it, as opening a door. While doing so, he looked calm at Ms. Touche who just took a place on one of the couches, as expecting an interesting reaction.

“Mr. Ruhig, what is that ?” Said she with an astonished face expression.

Ruhig briefly smiled saying “The defender of the alliance, If I may say so” as he opened the portrait, which had installed behind it, a large, reinforced safe. “This mechanism will protect the treaty documents for the next few days, especially during tomorrow's ball.”

“Seems like a rather efficient security system.”

“You can be most certain in that, this mechanism is bullet, fire, and corrosion proof. No unauthorized entity can access it. At the moment, only I and Mr. Presspapier know the access codes.” Ruhig said as he approached the safe closer contacting the cold surface of the safe with his ear.

“Now excuse me, I must check it’s internal structural integrity” continued he while rotating the lock wheel, back and forwards, listening carefully how the internal pieces of the mechanism move inside; “Well, everything appears to be in a perfect mechanical condition” said he while moving away from the safe, moving back the portrait, taking a seat on the couch mext to Ms. Touche as well.

“That was rather interesting.” Replied Ms. Touche who was still looking at the portrait.

Ruhig looked rapidly at his pocket watch, smiling “Now there is one last thing on my errands list I must take care off Ms. Touche, but I suppose you helped me enough for today.”

“If you don’t mind me to ask Mr. Ruhig, but what exactly have you still left to do ?”

“I should go and verify the process of the fireworks delivery. The store we are working with is located quite far. For a pagasus, this is not a great difficulty, but I don’t want to create discomfort for you” said he while he got up.

“I could be of help there as well Mr. Ruhig.”

“I am sure you would, I just don’t want to create discomfort for you.” Said he rearranging his bow-tie.

“If it is located that far way, we could just take a carriage up there.”

Ruhig smiled unnoticeably “Be it the way you want, glad to have as a “protégé” someone as dedicated as you.”

Soon, they both exit the embassy building, breathing in yet again, the cold outside air of the upcoming winter. Despise the hour, the streets looked relatively deserted. While waiting for a taxi carriage to pass by, Ruhig took a look around him, observing the same black carriage he saw at the beginning of the day. In the next moments, while Ruhig was looking around in a condition resembling a light trans, Ms. Touche observed a carriage, waving to it from across the street. Straight after the carriage approached, Ms. Touche gave Ruhig an amused look while he was opening her door up. The carriage departed to the respective area of Canterlot economical activity.

“Well, now comes one of the most intriguing parts of our preparation process.”

“Do you really think so Mr. Ruhig ?”

“Of course” he smiled “The fireworks always manage to create a great visual atmosphere for any social gathering.”

“So, what exactly are we supposed to supervise there ?”

“Nothing too special, we must assure that the fireworks were of the designated model, quantity, and delivered to the embassy building. Some of our staff workers are most likely there at this very moment.”

After a half hour of relatively arbitrary chatting, the carriage arrives in the designated are of Canterlot, and to be more accurate, its economical center. This city area was literally filled with boutiques, shops, manufactures, arranged around in a rather arbitrary, but esthetical manner. Quite soon, the taxi carriage approached the respective shop. Ruhig and Ms. Touche exited it, entering in the building. Despise the fact that it had the role of a storage building, it had a rather rich appearance and content, as it was specializing not only in fireworks, but in everything related to pyro works, including explosives. As they were entering in, Ruhig already say a few staff workers already taking care of a few wooden boxes. The climbed up to the second floor, where he met the owner of the store, taking a look outside the window. To his personal amazement, Ruhig saw yet again the same black carriage that seemed to follow him the entire day. He rapidly ignored that and returned to his discussion with the owner.

“Hello, we are here to finish the formalities related to our order.” Ruhig continued.

“Oh yes, they boxes are already ready to be transported up to the embassy. Everything left to do is to sign this Mr. Ambassador” said the owner while passing a few papers to Ruhig.

Ruhig approaches Ms. Touche giving her to verify together with him the content of the papers over a nearby table. After a few seconds of reading, Ruhig took out a pen signing the papers.

“Nice having to work with you Mr. Ambassador” Said the owner while stretching out his hoof forward.

“Mutually” hoofshakes.

Ms. Touche and Ruhig exit the store, observing how the target boxes are already being loaded in a transporting carriage preparing to depart.

“This ended relatively fast.” Said Mr. Touche.

“Quite rapidly indeed.” smiles “I just can’t imagine the visual expression of the quests when they will see the beauty of a MX20 firework” suddenly Ruhig shivers mumbling “Not that.”

“Mr. Ruhig, what ?”

“I forgot to check if they took our model in, MX20.”

“Oh, don’t worry Mr. Ruhig, they inserted the correct model.” Replied Ms. Touche confidently.

“Are you sure Ms. Touche ?” Said Ruhig while looking uncertain at her.

“I have a great photographic memory, I am absolutely certain.”

Ruhig smiled looking at her “Great quality might I remark. I suppose I’ll trust in this time” Ruhig looks around the streets, observing again that black carriage with a curious and deceived face expression.

“So, I suppose we will be heading back to the embassy.”

“Well, you may suppose so, but” takes a look at the pocket watch”……it’s almost lunch time. There is a nice restaurant near. Care to join me ?”

“Why not.” She replied back calmly.

“Wonderful. It’s on me.”

As they were walking, Ruhig took another look to the already rather suspicious black carriage already having troubled thoughts concerning it. After a few minutes of walking, they entered the restaurant Ruhig was talking about. It was, an esthetically ornamented structure, with a great musical ambiance and a relatively high clientele. They calmly took place at an empty, 2 seated table just next to the window. Quite rapidly, a waiter approached them, taking their orders. Ruhig took a barilla soup, while Ms. Touche went with a Caesar salad. While waiting, Ruhig took another look through the window seeing again that carriage, yet trying to distract his own attention from it, convincing himself in the fact that he has some form of paranoia. After some time, their meals arrived. Ruhig trying to distract himself tried to create a conversation, in a rather, unusual manner.

“I just love the barilla soup, its brilliant” said he while folding a napkin around his neck.

“Why so ?”

Ruhig said lighting up “You get 2 in one, food and liquid.”

“Interesting point of view.”

“You should try it Ms. Touche; addressing to the waiter: Could you bring a second barilla soup and spoon please ?”

“Oh, no, this is not necessary Mr. Ruhig.”

“I suppose I understand, but, why not ? , it’s on me anyhow” Laughed Ruhig shortly.

“No, I would just feel embarrassed to, try out your meal, doesn’t sound very intelligent of a lady.”

Ruhig looked her deep in the eyes “Miss Touche, you seem to me one of the most intelligent ladies I have ever met, and” sips “I know you for less than a week.”

“You truly think so Mr. Ruhig ?”

“Of course” sips some soup “in fact, I am most certain that if I weren’t here, you’d have become the ambassador.”

“Perhaps.” Replied Ms. Touche while looking down at the floor.

Ruhig laughed “I’d actually gladly give my position to someone worthy if I had to, but there would still be one impediment to this.”

Touche asked while eating “And what is that ?”

Ruhig kept a moment of somber silence replying “I prefer keeping this as a secret” sips soup “but I see you have all the necessary qualities, education, studies, manners, and, most importantly…” said he while sipping again.

“What ?”

“Good moral convictions, you seem like a good person to me.”

Touche asked curiously “Do you think Mr. Ruhig ?”eats looking at the plate.

“Knowing my….unique perception of the world, I can never be certain” smiles “but I was always somehow able to feel the good and bad in my entourage.”

“Rather interesting.”

“Oh yes, though this made my foalhood a little more, intriguing.” Said Ruhig while looking at the ceiling shortly.

“How exactly Mr. Ruhig ?”

“Telling this would be irrelevant at the moment” sips again “but it opened to me one of the greatest pleasures of life, discovering something new in everything.”

Touche giggled shortly “Almost poetic.”

Ruhig smiled sips again consequently, looking through the window. He saw a storm was brewing outside, a rain was sure to start any minute now. After a few moments the waiter approached them with another plate. Ruhig takes it and passes it to Ms. Touche.

Ruhig said smiling “Try it, rather nice; said he while pushing the plate closer to her.”

Ms. Touche smiles while trying the soup, making in a matter of seconds a face expression betraying a great discomfort caused by the olfactory qualities of the meal.

Touche said breathing rapidly “Spicy……”

“Of course, novelty always implies some small risks” said he thinking while passing Ms. Touche a glass of water.

Ms. Tocuhe rapidly, yet with a great finesse took the glass of water, drinking its content in a rather short amount of time.

“Do you consume that kind of meal on a regular basis Mr. Ruhig, if I may ask ?”

“My diet is quite diverse, but I suppose so….” said he while pulling back the plate “Ms. Touche, I am quite sorry for this small discomfort, I suppose I didn’t take in consideration your personal food preferences.”

“No, that is quite alright.” Said she while still regaining her breath.

A relatively strong rain started outside. Ruhig and Ms. Touche were trying to enjoy the most of the afternoon in the delightful ambiance of the restaurant. While trying to distract himself from that already suspicious sight of the black carriage, and thanks to his curiosity. Ruhig tries again to engage in a conversation. During their meal, Ruhig was genuinely trying to discover better Ms. Touche, still retaining some limits of privacy, naturally. In a time period of approximately thirty minutes they were starting to familiarize.

Unfortunately, and unobservable for Ruhig, during this peaceful and delightful chat time, the mysterious black carriage finally started enrolling itself. 2 white stallions dressed in deep black suits exited the window tinned, soft roofed vehicle, heading slowly straight to the restaurant. In the meantime Ruhig and Ms. Touche were continuing their entertaining chat…

“Kislohoofsk” smiles “such a nice place for a family to origin from. Fresh air, mountains, you are one lucky lady Ms. Touche.”

“Thank you Mr. Ruhig” smiles “do you have some city from which your family takes origin ?”

While Ms. Touche was asking the question the waiter closed to their table presenting the bill. Ruhig paid up, the same instant continuing….

“Actually, my family is original from the capital, though we have had a lot in common with Stalliongrad along generations.” Replied Ruhig back.

“That’s interesting.”

While they were discussing, the 2 “Earth pony” stallions entered the restaurant approaching the table at which Ruhig and Ms. Touche were chatting.

“Mr. Ambassador ?” asked the first one of them.

Ruhig replied with a concerned face expression “Yes ?”

“Could you talk to us for a few moments ?” Continued the second stallion.

Ruhig rose from his eat, approaching the 2 stallions, and retreating in a more private area of the restaurant.

“How may I be of service ?” Calmly replied Ruhig.

The first stallion said with a short, grumpy tone “Our boss wants to have a word with you.”

“I would gladly, but now it’s my lunch time, could your “boss”, perhaps approach me a little later ?” Said Ruhig while briefly looking him in the eyes smiling.

The second earth pony continued “Our boss doesn’t understand “No” said he with a somehow imposing tone, looking Ruhig straight in the eyes. “He is waiting outside in the carriage over there” points at the black carriage.

As usually during such moments, hundreds of thoughts were being analyzed in Ruhig’s mind in an astonishingly short amount of time. Since he was suspecting that carriage was following him the whole day, he knew this is a matter of great importance, as well as somehow a bad, suspicious sign.

“Well then, I suppose I could cut my lunch short this once.” Said he while talking a brief look at his pocket watch.

Ruhig approached Ms. Touche who was still at the table, looking at them.

“Ms. Touche, I have someone I must speak to, ex pronto. Could you please return in the meantime to the embassy, and assist the process of preparation for tomorrow’s ball ?”

“Yes, of course. But….who Mr. Ruhig ?”

Ruhig smiled “That’s the marvel of novelty for you Ms. Touche. We will find out.”

Ruhig slowly walks away following the 2 stallions. They exit the restaurant walking through the intense rain, finally approaching the black carriage. Ruhig enters being followed by the 2 white stallions, who close the door inside after him. Right after entering, he saw on the opposing seats of the carriage the so called “Boss”, next to who sat the 2 white stallions in silence. And so, the carriage departed, with a rather astonishing speed.

“Hello Mr. Ambassador, glad you made it. Do you know who I am ?” said an old earth pony with a quite aggressive and unpleasant for Ruhig attitude.

“Yes, you are Mr. Alca, famous business man, with a rather contradictorily reputation” said Ruhig while looking calmly around the interior decor of the carriage.

Mr. Alca is an old “earth pony”, with a coat of a white coloration, and a rather compact physical size. He has a rude, direct, quite specific metropolitan accent.

“Good, then we skip the formalities. Do you know why you are here ?”

“Let’s suppose I know, but in order to avoid further confusion, let’s say that you require something of me.”

“Don’t play games with me…..Ambassador.” Replied Mr. Alca with an obvious expression of disgust.

Ruhig *looking around*- Oh I am not playing games, never in such cases.

Alca – Listen, since some events that happened long ago I am not in good terms with the diplomats of your empire.

Ruhig looked at his watch “I recall that, you are banned from passing our borders for a lifetime, old, but rather vivant scandal it was back them.”

Alca interrupted confidently “But I still have a great amount of shares and capital invested in different companies back there.”

“Yes, I am listening” said Ruhig while continuing to look around.

“And now this new “great alliance” of yours is messing up beneath my legs. I’ll start to lose a lot of profit you know.”

Ruhig replied realizing the final destination of this chat “Hmm, so what is my implication in this Mr. Alca ?”

“I……need the alliance documents Ambassador.”

“Pardon me but, I am not in their possession, yet.” Replied Ruhig instantly.

“I know you receive them tomorrow.”

“You seem very well informed Mr. Alca. But still, what would bring you to the thought that I would do such a thing ?”

“Everyone has his price Ambassador…. “ Continued Alca.

Ruhig just stood there for a few seconds looking Mr. Alca straight in the eyes with a serious face expression. After some moments Alca clapped with his hooves 2 times, one of his “assistants” bringing up a suitcase. They put in right before Ruhig, opening its content. Inside, the large suitcase was filled with a great amount of golden, Equestrian bits.

“Name yours.” Continued Mr. Alca with a mercantilist look.

Ruhig took a look out of the carriage window observing it’s high speed and the distance it already managed to travel.

“I’m ready to give you for the documents one million Golden Equestrian bits. This suitcase contains one hundred thousand. Once decided, my boys will deliver you the entire sum. This is enough money for 4 generations to live in luxury.” Continued Mr. Alca yet again.

Ruhig turned back the suitcase and its content, taking out a coin and looking at it closely. Then he practically threw it back with a rather amused face expression.

Ruhig smiled “This is by far, less than the real price of the “Alliance treaty”.”

Alca replied looking a little angry and disturbed “Name your price.”

“Nothing, zero, nul, ноли …..” Started to list Ruhig.

“Nothing ?!” Asked Mr. Alca intrigued.

“Nothing, of your materialistic concept. You see Mr. Alca, this treaty is far more precious, overpassing the definition of currencies.”

“What the hell are you mumbling about ? Do you know how much I need those papers ?!”

“Those “papers” are a guaranty of peace and prosperity between our nations” said Ruhig, after which he started looking around.

Alca continued with an angry tone “Just take the money.”

Ruhig laughed with a little sarcasm “Mr. Alca you seem like a pony with great aims, but such….small concept” laughs slightly, remembering Alca’s small physical size “Though this “Alliance” requires some sacrifices from every one of us, the results are promised to be above any present expectation.”

“So, you do not accept the money ? Just to make it clear between us.”

“No, as this contradict my principles, values and convictions” said Ruhig while looking off the window and observing that during this discussion, the carriage already managed to exit Canterlot, heading down the mountain on which the city is located, through a narrow pathway.

Alca mumbled “Alriiight then…..”

“Now, I suppose our small chat is over, could you please stop right on the spot and let me exit the transport.” Replied Ruhig in his turn.

“Not yet, you disappoint me Mr. Ambassador.”

“All in a day’s work.” Calmly replied Ruhig,

“You see, I told you too much to let you leave this carriage……physically fit like this.”

“Well you did try to bribe me, but, taking in consideration the current private circumstances in which this attempt passed, let’s just forgive and forget.”

“If we didn’t convince you the good way, we always can do it the hard way.”

“I don’t think the Equestrian court will accept such an appeal” said Ruhig while understanding the real meaning of the “hard way”.

“Show him boys.” Replied back Alca with a tone mixing confidence and disappointment.

Right after this, the 2 assistants that were standing near Mr. Alca took out each a sliver horseshoe with 3 sharp spikes. They each put on one of these accessories, stretching their hooves and necks.

Ruhig unobservable mumbled “I suppose this is not sport footwear.”

“By refusing me, you did a huge mistake Ambassador. You know what they say ?”

“What ?”

“Never get in carriages with strangers.”

In the meantime, Ruhig quickly analyzed his situation, understanding the harm he may receive. During the whole trip, while looking around the carriage, he observed the simple mechanism that was holding the soft roof on the carriage. The simple, yet crucial device was placed on the distance of an unfolded wing from Ruhig, which realizing this, smiled for a brief moment, unnoticeable for Alca unfolding his right wing.

“My mistake, perfectly agree, but you also Mr. Alca did one small” smiles remembering Alca’s size “mistake.”

“What’s that ?”

“Do you know that old saying about the Pegasus in the soft roofed carriage ?”

“No.”

“Me neither” Said Ruhig provokingly smiling

“Get him boys !” Replied aggressively Alca in turn.

In the same second, Ruhig opened with his wing the small lever, letting the light roof be taken away by the strong wind and rain that were outside. Right after feeling the cold rain drops on his face. Ruhig widened his second wind, rapidly talking off, before any of Mr. Alca’s, earth pony, “guns” could grab him. Now he was just flying comfortably above the speeding opened black carriage.

“I feel uncomfortable to leave you at such a moment, but I have duties I need to perform.”

“Get back here you !!”

Ruhig continued with a concerned tonality “I am, so sorry for you Mr. Alca. Good bye” said he while stopping in the middle air, while the carriage was going down the mountain.

After a few moments Ruhig saw the carriage stopping as well, but since, the pathway was to narrow, it couldn’t turn around. Ruhig didn’t wait for his hosts to leave the transport, though they technically couldn’t. He just went on, gathering speed and altitude, through the already impossibly strong rain.

After some time of flight against the wind, he reentered the air borders of Canterlot, heading straight back to the embassy. Luckily for him, by the time flew above the very embassy, the rain has become a lot lighter and tolerable, yet Ruhig was dripping wet. He landed on the territory of the back yard, observing that the strong rain forced everyone to go inside the building. Ruhig though the next after importance space for the conglomeration would be the ball room, where he naturally headed. Once there he saw a certain fraction of the embassy workers there. Realizing the events he passed through just some time ago, and trying to distract himself from them, Ruhig prefers to approach first the workers working on the freshly unwrapped fireworks. He started giving them some quite specific instruction, imposed by an experience Ruhig gathered since his foalhood, in a rather unusual manner for Equestria, yet so popular during his youth….

Ruhig continued “…. And please make sure that the fuse length between each triplet was exactly one point five meters.”

“Yes Mr. Ambassador” said the worker while taking out a roll of fuse.

Ruhig mumbled for himself “Oh how I missed working with anything explosives related; said he whit a pleased face expression.”

Soon after making sure the process of the firework preparation goes as planned, Ruhig decides to pass through the storage room where the apperitives and snacks for the ball are being stored over the night. While doing so, he realized the lack of the necessity to verify them, yet his mind was still in a light shock after the little carriage related incident. Slowly overpassing it, he heads towards the reception room, where to his delight Mr. Presspapier and Ms. Touche were checking up some last formalities.

“Hello everyone, pardon my absence, had an entertaining chat.” Greeted then Ruhig gladly.

“Ruhig, what happened to you? You look awful” said he while seeing Ruhig dripping water on the floor practically.

“And you are also very young and in shape Mr. Presspapier” said Ruhig sarcastically “but, had it worse sometimes to be perfectly honest. “

“So Mr. Ruhig, who have you met in that carriage ?” Said Ms. Touche engaging in the chat.

“Oh, this is just rich, especially for you Mr. Presspapier” said he with a tone combining amusement and somehow compassion.

“Who Ruhig ?”

“I don’t want to cause unwanted agitation, so I’ll just write it down” said Ruhig while briefly taking Presspapier’s plane-table and pen, writing the correspondent name.

Mr. Presspapier then levitates the plane-table before his face reading the name. For a second, Ruhig was able to feel some fear and deep concern in his colleague’s breath.

Presspapier continued startled “What did he try to do to you Ruhig ?”

“Oh nothing exiting the concept you imposed by me through your own experience. Bribery, possibly kidnap or even worse” said Ruhig with an unexpectedly relaxed attitude.

Both Ms. Touche & Mr. Presspapier exclaimed “What ?!?”

“How can you talk so relaxed about that Ruhig ? He is dangerous, always has been, even a few decades ago. He will be back you know !” Continued Mr. Presspapier.

“Exactly…….*smiles*that means he already lost his most precious card, the element of surprise. It’s as if he didn’t even study basic tactics at school” said Ruhig while calmly taking a seat on a couch.

“We should announce the authorities about this.” Said Mr. Presspapier contemplating.

“Oh let’s overpass those silly ideas dear Mr. Presspapier. We both now, each from personal experience, that these kinds of persons are virtually impenetrable from the juridical and legal point of view.”

“You’re right. But he still will be back for you Ruhig, this is a very delicate matter.”

Ruhig continued proudly “Luckily I still retain a few unused cards down my sleeves” continued he while pointing amused at his proper sleeves.

“So, are you ready for any further confrontation ?” Said Presspapier concerned “Your life isn’t a joke Ruhig, especially during those diplomatically intense times.”

“I deeply appreciate the care, but I learned a long time ago how to deal with such problems.” Said Ruhig while taking out his pen and setting it near his eye, as if checking its proper verticality.

“I…hope you know what you’re doing Ruhig.”

Ruhig said calmly “Be most certain in that. I just want to assure you that I won’t let anyone, and I repeat anyone, be an impediment for the event I have personally been waiting for my whole career life.”

In the next moment Ruhig looked around the room, realizing Ms. Touche was still in it, listening with a somehow shocked and confused face expression to the entire conversation. It was somehow a moment of discomfort discussing about such delicate matters in the presence of one who has no understanding of them. Luckily, in another few moments a secretary approached Ruhig, handing an envelope.

“Mr. Ambassador, letter from the…. “Silver Square”.” Said she somehow shocked of her own words.

“Thank you” said Ruhig while the secretary was leaving “Well, since the letter has a direct bond with our Prime Minister, I suppose it deserves immediate attention.”

Ruhig opened the letter, reading carefully every single word. Quite soon, his face lighted up with a mixture of joy and pride.

“Ruhig, what does the letter say ?” asked curiously Mr. Presspapier.

Ruhig smiled “Excellent news. Our fraction of the “SAS Alliance” arrives tomorrow… “

Mr. Presspapier and Ms. Touche both light up a bit after hearing the news.

“And the good news seem to come on further colleagues. They will be escorted by, General Ironshell, commander of the 1st Air Fleet” Continued Ruhig joyously.

“How is this good Mr. Ruhig ?” Asked Ms. Touche somehow confused.

“He’s my old childhood friend, we were classmates, chumps, mates, you catch the idea. Those were the days, studies, shooting…” suddenly Ruhig realized he is getting carried away by memories; “Anyhow, he is one of the persons I can fully trust at the moment.”

Presspapier said relieved “Well then this really seems like good news.”

“Oh yes, definitely” In the next few moments Ruhig raised from the couch, heading for the exit of the room” Now if you could all excuse me, I have a few last formalities to check for tomorrow” said he gladly while leaving his slightly confused colleagues alone in the reception room.

Ruhig returned to his office, where he took a brief, concerned look around the room, before taking calmly a seat on a couch. In that moment, he remembered in a silly manner the fact that his suit was still unacceptably wet, immediately rising up and taking it off. Though Ruhig perfectly realized the fact that most of the embassy workers, Equestria and his motherland’s citizens were walking around only in their coats, he still somehow didn’t feel comfortable, locking up the door to his cabinet. Straight after that he hanged his suit over a radiator, small, yet clever detail of the building’s infrastructure. Right after that he just looked briefly through some vinyl records inserting one in the gramophone. He sat down at his table reading some documents brought to his office during the day, assimilating together with them, the impressions gathered during his unexpected city escapade. After another few hours of studies in the calm and warm ambiance of his office, Ruhig finished his working day, rising from his office desk and putting back on his already dry, and perhaps warmed up suit. At that time of the day, many embassy workers were already heading home, in anticipation of tomorrow’s event, which, for their delight shortens the successive work day. At the exit of the embassy, Ruhig saw Ms. Touche who, was perhaps in anticipation of a taxi carriage, as standing in a still relatively light rain. He just approached her, deciding to keep company during her wait. For a brief moment, they both just smiled one to another, Ruhig lifting his left wing over her serving as an umbrella.

Ruhig asked gladly “So, in anticipation of tomorrow’s event Ms. Touche ?”

“I suppose. Yet Mr. Ruhig, may I ask a question ?”

“Yes, of course.”

“Who was that, dangerous someone you were talking about back in the reception room ?”

“Hmm, Ms. Touche, do you recall I described the marvel of novelty a few hours earlier ?”

Touche answered a little confused “Yes.”

“Well the one we were talking about some time ago is everything but novelty for us, especially for Mr. Presspapier. It was Mr. Alca.”

“That very Mr. Alca ?” excalimed she with a confused and impressed tone.

“Precisely. Though *lights up* considering his size I would be more keen in calling him “pony Alca”….or “Alca pony”, the way you like it better” laughed a little.

“Did he really try to kidnap you Mr. Ruhig ?”

“Hmm, I may have misinterpreted his actions, yet, I am most convinced of this knowing that there are many precedents of such unpleasant situations.”

“Are you sure Mr. Ruhig ?”

“Well, you could go and ask Mr. Presspapier more detailed on this matter. I don’t want to impose you a wrongful and inaccurate description of the long ago happened events.”

“Perhaps you are right Mr. Ruhig” said she while looking down the street seeking a carriage.

Ruhig smiled “All I know is that the next few days are going to be quite exciting.”

For a few moments a complete silence had fallen, allowing both of them to hear the pure sound the rain drops made when contacting the asphalt.

“So Mr. Ruhig, how do you plan to solve such a conflict ?” asked Ms. Touche with a concerned tone while waving to a taxi carriage approaching them.

While the carriage dropped by, Ruhig helped Ms. Touche get in saying…

Ruhig took a deep breath gaining a dark face expression “Ms. Touche, I prefer keeping such concepts as a secret, but, let’s just say that I am an ambassador. Solving conflicts is part of my very nature. Have a nice evening” continued he while smiling and closing her door up.

“Thank you Mr. Ruhig” She replied while smiling and sighing.

And so the taxi carriage departs, Ruhig successively taking off right after that. Quite soon, he lifted above Canterlot and the clouds layer covering the entire city with the light rain. Once overpassing it, Ruhig saw once again, the dark, yet clean skies brightly enriched with stars. After many, yet rapidly passing minutes of flight, he finally arrived back home, walking slowly on the fundament cloud his mansion was being suspending over.

Arrived back home, Ruhig just carries on his evening routine. He took off his suit, arranging it carefully in the wardrobe, getting to enjoy some private time alone. Ruhig boiled himself some tea, setting on yet again a record on his gramophone. Luckily for him, variety wasn’t a matter of concern when relating it to the number of record discs he has in his collection. While sipping his tea, one of the only thoughts that were evolving throughout his mind was those related to his encounter with Alca, from which he managed to escape relatively easy. The truth was he knew he was extremely dangerous, especially in the past, during the times Mr. Presspapier was fighting for peace during the 2 kingdoms. Ruhig was still preferring to hide such historical details from his “protégé” as well as the actions he is ready to take in consideration in order to obliterate yet again that old threat. Quite soon, those negative thoughts were replaced by his bright concepts regarding the future day, as soon as he finished up his routine, going in bed. For Ruhig, another day was over, closing him and his entourage to the climax of the events set to be put in motion in another few days. He fell asleep, being in a condition of relaxation, contradictory mixed with anticipation.