• Published 28th Dec 2012
  • 4,036 Views, 140 Comments

The Workhorse - Backburner



Describing the relationship of Twilight and Big Mac, the events that brings them together, and the love that grew along the way

  • ...
8
 140
 4,036

Fire

Twilight had never spent the night at the Apple’s farmhouse. Once or twice she had slept in the barn with the girls, and on one unlucky occasion had been trapped in the clubhouse with Applejack, but she had never spent more then a casual visits time inside Applejack’s home. Big Mac had shown her around a little before they settled on the sofa together but Twilight found her eyes wondering around the unfamiliar living room.

“So Big Mac,” Twilight said. “Now that we’re…together, I think there are a few things we should know about each other.” Twilight couldn’t bring herself to say they were dating yet. It’s not that the word bothered her but it didn’t seem right to say before they actually went on a date as a couple. “Something we should probably get out of the way now is whether or not you care who knows.”

“Nope, granny’s gonna be nothin’ but smiles when she learns I’ve finally found a mare and Applebloom will find out no matter what we do. I don’t see anypony else enough to care what they think. Is their somepony you want to keep from known’?”

“Well, I hate to think what Rarity’s going to say when she hears about this. I won’t get a moments peace, but it would be a lot worse if she hears about it through town gossip instead of from us so keeping it from her wont work. Pinkie will want to throw us a party but I don’t think it will hurt to let her in on it otherwise. So I guess I’m in the same boat as you, I’m sure my friends will be thrilled.”

“Do you want me to be there when you tell them, I can’t do any of the talkin’ but it might help if they see me with you.” Twilight smiled.

“Of coarse I want you to be there, if we have nothing to hide we might as well enjoy the time we have together, and how many times are we going to get the chance to do the big reveal?” Big Mac thought it over.

“By that logic we should do this in the grandest way we can think of. If we only get one chance at this why waist it? Why can’t we do somethin’ so big they never forget it.” Twilight never knew Big Mac was that type of pony, he was a little quiet for the go big or go home attitude.

“Well what do you have in mind?” She asked, intrigued. Big Mac thought about it for a second before a slightly smug grin stretched his lips

“We could stage somethin’ where you’re a damsel in distress and I’m the white knight. Somethin’ like the incident with the apple cart but bigger. What if you fell off your balcony and I rushed in to catch you? Or I could rescue ya from a burnin’ building?”

“How would you saving me show the others we’re together?”

“Well naturally the white knight deserves a kiss from the fair mare he rescued.” Big Mac said as he held his head up high in a mock chivalries pose. This idea sounded absolutely ridiculous, but the way Big Mac was pitching it actually made it sound like it might be kind of fun to do.

“I have to admit I kind of like this suggestion, especially the one where you save me from a fire, but now we run into the problem of finding a building we could burn down.”

“That’s easy, we’ll use the library.” Twilight’s eyes widened.

“You want to burn down my library! You do know I live there right?”

“Well we wouldn’t actually set it on fire. You can use your magic to make it look like theirs a fire ragin’, a trick of the light to make ponies on the outside think it’s burnin’. We wouldn’t be in any real danger and once the secrets out there wont be any mess to clean up.” Twilight actually found that idea rather clever, in fact it was brilliant. Why not have some fun with this if they could? Sure it would be hard to explain to the Ponyville fire squad but if they pulled this off right it would be well worth the trouble.

* * *

“HELP,” Twilight said, gasping for air as the thick smoke surrounded her. “Somepony please,” maybe a bit too dramatic, but Twilight was hamming it up as she knew nopony could hear her. She let out a few feeble coughs. “Help,” her last cry was rewarded as a huge stallion burst into the room.

“Miss. Sparkle!” He called, fanning the smoke away from his eyes. “Where are you!?!”

“I’m here!” She called with as much strength as a pony in her position could be expected to muster. “Big Mac, I-”

“Don’t talk, save your oxygen, I’ll find ya.” Big Mac made a show of searching for her as he crawled along the ground between the flames. Even checking a bookcase and beneath the table trying to find the helpless mare.

“Big Mac, the stairs are burning.” Twilight called looking down at him from above. Big Mac turned his attention upward and saw Twilight lying helpless as the smoke rose around her.

“Twilight, your gonna have ta jump!” Big Mac said making his way beneath where she lay.

“I’ll break my neck!” She responded as a fit of coughing overtook her.

“No you won’t, I’ll catch you, just trust me.” Big Mac sat up on the ground below Twilight and stretched out his fore hooves, trying hard to keep his head below the smoke. Twilight looked down with fear in her eyes. Clenching them shut, she fell off the sofa and landed squarely in Big Mac’s hooves inches below.

“Of coarse when we do this for real I’ll scream.” Twilight said.

“Shh.” Big Mac quieted her. “Don’t speak, save your strength while I get ya out of here.” Twilight was unaccustomed to being swoon, and the flutter of her eyes she gave her savior was genuine. Big Mac carefully transferred Twilight to his back where she pretended to go limp. Crawling across the floor, Big Mac made his way around the fake fires and into the kitchen where he lay Twilight on the ground and pressed his ear against her chest looking for a heartbeat. Twilight giggled but tried her best to stay still before acting as if she was coming to.

“Big Mac.” She whispered. The stallion took his head off her chest and looked into her eyes.

“Miss Sparkle.” He said, turning his ear to her lips to hear her better. “What is it, are you alright?”

“I am now.” She said in her cutest tone. Big Mac looked at her with his eyes tearing up.

“I…thought I’d lost you.” He said almost choking.

“Big Mac are you ok?” Twilight said, breaking character. “You’re crying.” Big Mac wiped away the tears.

“To much?” He asked.

“No! No that was really good, I didn’t know you could act.”

“Well I’ve read several of the great plays, Shakespony, Pony Shelley, you name it.” Twilight became aware of the fires still burning and with a flash of her horn she removed the illusion. Big Mac backed away to allow Twilight to stand and watched as she flipped onto her stomach before hoisting herself off the kitchen floor.

“It shows, you’ve got a real talent for this.” Big Mac looked down at his hooves, twirling one on the floor.

“Well it’s nice to hear you say that Twilight.” The two of then walked back into the living room where Twilight looked around to see if her little magic trick had damaged anything. After a quick sweep showed it hadn’t, she smiled to herself with surety that this was going to work great.

“Do you know what time it is Big Mac?” The stallion looked out a nearby window.

“Near midnight, let’s hope the candles hold out till mornin’.” Twilight was surprised at how late it had gotten, they had only run through there routine a few times, was it really that long?

“Tomorrows going to be pretty big, you ready for the backlash?”

“As long as I have you by my side.” Twilight felt her ears fall back.

“That’s very sweet of you. You’re just full of surprises.”

“What ya mean by that?”

“Well you’re an avid reader, an actor, and much more talkative then I thought you were. I just never thought of how much alike we are, how good you could make me feel.”

“You know I could take that a number of ways.” Big Mac said, playing with a smile of his own.

“I’m sure you could, but being the gentlecolt you are I’m sure you’ll know a pony like myself wont do much until she’s swept off her hooves.”

“Done.” Big Mac said.

Casually walking over to Twilight, he stuck out a hoof and hooked it around her foreleg. With one quick motion it was out from under her and Twilight felt herself falling. She let out a startled yelp before Big Mac caught her with the same hoof and drew her close. She was now staring up at the ceiling, her back hooves tangled together leaving Big Mac to support most of her weight which he did effortlessly. He met her gaze with his big green eyes as she felt herself blush.

“Any other requests?” He asked softly. Twilight couldn’t think straight, a romance scene like this was something she had only read about, Big Mac had taken only a few seconds to turn her into a puddle of jelly in his hoof. “Well if you’re not go’n to make one, I will.” With that, he leaned in, and delivered the softest kiss to her burning cheek, if her eyes had been closed she doubted she would have ever known he’d delivered it. When he raised his head again Twilight could barely breath.

“I can’t wait to save you tomarra, so I can earn my first real kiss with you.” Twilight wrapped her hoofs around the stallion’s strong neck.

“I can’t either.”

* * *

The rest of the night with Big Mac had been, for lack of a better word, absolutely perfect. In truth it was better then that, but Twilight couldn’t find the right word to describe more perfect then perfect. It was early the next morning when she finally left, meeting Applejack in a chance encounter on her walk home. That marked phase one of her plan, getting her friends together at the library to witness the show as she delegated Applejack to gather them all for her. She had mapped everything out and if nothing went wrong this would be the talk of Ponyville for days.

Twilight didn’t usually like being the center of attention, but something in the way Big Mac had described this idea to her and the way it had taken shape made it to good to pass up. She had spent nearly every moment after she arrived home getting ready for their performance, her lack of sleep not bothering here in the least. Spike had taken notice of her efforts though, and decided to voice his concern.

“Twilight what’s gotten into you? Nopony comes in here this early and the library is spotless, what are you doing?” Twilight was at work shelving books, secretly surrounding each with a temporary magical shield in case the spell went wrong.

“I’m just getting ready for my friends to come over, I’m having a little get together today.”

“Didn’t you just have something like that with Big Mac yesterday, and the day before that, and-”

“Yes.” Twilight said a little stronger then she meant. “But I’m having another today. Why don’t you go wash your scales and get ready for company?” Spike groaned and headed upstairs to the bathroom muttering to himself. Twilight had a ways to go before she was ready to get some practice in, but by the time she was finished even Rarity would be impressed with her attention to detail. However just as Twilight finished preparing the fiction, and was starting to move on to non-fiction, a knock came on the door.

“Twilight, may I come in.” It was Big Mac’s voice. Twilight practically galloped to the door and opened it wide to see him standing tall before her.

“Next time just feel free to barge in, I was afraid our audience had arrived early.” Big Mac walked passed Twilight and looked around the room.

“Where exactly are you going to be?” Twilight pointed to her room on the second floor.

“Overlooking the scene below, make it worth the effort I’m putting into this, you have no idea how many books are in this library.” Big Mac smiled.

“I’m goin’ to go run some errands so it looks like I was here by chance. Is ten minutes enough?”

“Just perfect.” Twilight said. Big Mac leaned in and nuzzled his head against Twilight’s cheek.

“I’ll be back soon.” Big Mac left the library and Twilight closed the door behind him, her heart beating hard against her chest. This was possibly the craziest thing she had ever done. Up there with charging Nightmare Moon and challenging the Ursa Minor. She set to work with a new life after realizing she didn’t care.

A few minutes passed and Twilight had finished flame proofing all the books, (She did a rather patchy job in the back room but she didn’t think it would matter.) and calmly started work on her rouse. She conjured a small fire in the center of the library and aloud it to spread, watching to make sure it wasn’t actually burning anything. Walking up the stairs she smiled as some of the flames followed her, only stopping at a magical barrier Twilight had put on the top step. Watching as the smoke started to collect and rise, Twilight lay down on a position overlooking the library floor and waited for Big Mac to barge in.

If she did say so herself, this flame was spreading incredibly realistically, but its progress was rather slow from the initial spark in the center of the floor downstairs. Even the flames engulfing the books barely crept along not giving much to watch. Twilight had made sure the flames were almost heatless, but they still crackled and popped like a real fire would, and after a moment Twilight found herself to excited about when Big Mac showed up to be able to sit comfortably and listen to the noises without something else to occupy her. Grabbing a random book from one of the shelves downstairs, Twilight set to work occupying herself before she heard a door open and speedily closed it to look at the door.

“TWILIGHT, THE LIBRARY’S BURNING.” Came a voice from behind her. Twilight turned to see Spike standing in the doorway of the bathroom, a towel wrapped around his head. Time slowed to nearly nothing as a thousand thoughts ran through Twilight’s brain. It hadn’t even crossed her mind that Spike would still be in the library when the fire started. She didn’t even think about him. There wasn’t enough time to start the fire again before her friends got here and Twilight knew the smoke had to of already turned some heads. How was she going to explain this? “Don’t worry Twilight, I’ll save you.” Spike ran over to Twilight and pulled her away from the edge of her room overlooking the fire and toward the balcony.

“Spike you don’t understand! Let me explain!”

“Twilight it’s ok, I’m a dragon I can take care of this.” As Twilight found herself forced toward the balcony Spike started coughing from the illusionary smoke. Each cough sent out a stream of magic green flame that licked at Twilight’s wooden floor.

“SPIKE! YOU’RE GOING TO BURN DOWN THE LIBRARY!” she screamed.

“Not to make you sound stupid but the fire downstairs will do that long before I can.” By the time Twilight was on the balcony Spike had left several patches of green flame behind him that quickly started to spread. The addition of real smoke to the illusion Twilight had produced only made Spike’s coughing worse. “Stay here.” Spike said over the sound of the blaze before darting back inside unleashing more green flame to scorch Twilight’s room.

Twilight immediately ran in to get some water from the sink. Using her magic, Twilight started throwing it over the little green flames. However every time she put out one flame she saw another just as big was raging somewhere else. The smoke started to cloud her lungs and block her vision, her magic fluctuated as Twilight tried to stay focused. Suddenly she became aware of the heat, the library was getting hotter by the minute proving to Twilight the fire was well on its way to getting out of control.

She ran back to the entrance of the balcony only to find it covered in green flames. Below her she could see the shocked faces of Ponyville watching the house burn. Her friends stood among a small crowd, all of them sharing the same worried expression. Realizing she was trapped, Twilight went to look downstairs coughing and fighting her way through the smoke.

There was no way this could possibly get any worse, until she saw Spike passed out on the floor. Beside him was a huge bucket of water he had apparently brought from the kitchen. The fire might not be able to hurt him, but the smoke had overwhelmed his young system. Twilight wanted to help him but the green flames had mixed with hers converting the whole library into an inferno. Before Twilight could make up her mind what to do the front door made a huge thud as it slammed against the wall and Big Mac rushed in, smiling despite the scene around him.

“Big Mac!” Twilight cried. “It’s a real Fire! Get Spike out of here.” Big Mac looked up through the smoke at the worried expression on Twilight’s face and dropped the smile. Quickly he snatched up the little Dragon and ran outside returning only a short moment later. “Big Mac get out of here! I’ll find a way out!”

“I’m not leavin’ you to burn alive in here! Just hold on while I find a way to you!” Big Mac said. Twilight had originally left a path for Big Mac to use when it had been only her illusionary fire, but now nearly the entire floor of the library was a wall of heat and burning wood. Big Mac navigated through the blaze, jumping over what he could, and running through what he couldn’t. Flames licked at his coat, but the stallion was determined. When he reached a spot as close to Twilight as he could get, he looked up at her as he swatted away embers on his charred hair.

“You need to jump Twilight! Just like we practiced!”

“Big Mac this isn’t at all what we practiced! If you don’t catch me I’m-”

“I’m going to catch you, just trust me! I’ll come up there if I have to but I won’t leave without you!” Twilight knew when a member of the Apple family said something like that it was impossible to talk them out of it. She couldn’t let Big Mac gallop up the stairs, they were nearly completely engulfed, more so then anything else she could see. Twilight looked down at Big Mac’s waiting form below before she backed away from the edge. Closing her eyes, she leaped for the hooves below and screamed horribly as she flew through the air, feeling the hot air below her.

When she finally hit something she was almost certain it was the flames as her body began to truly feel the scorching touch of the fires heat and hear its thunderous roar. But as she opened her eyes she saw Big Mac was holding her in his hooves, shielding her from the worst of the blaze. Big Mac Put Twilight on his back and began making his way out of the library, but it was now even harder to navigate the floor then before. Twilight tried her best to hold on to him, but the stallion’s jumps and swerves to dodge the growing fire made it difficult. When they had at last almost reached the door Twilight breathed a sigh of relief only to lose her grip as Big Mac took a sharp turn. Tumbling off the stallion’s back she felt the flames lap up her side.

Twilight screamed as she desperately tried to put them out realizing she had been tossed into a virtual ring of fire, succeeding for the most part to extinguish herself she found no way to escape the approaching inferno that threatened to reignite her. Big Mac had apparently heard her cry as he leapt next to her over the lowest point of the approaching flames only to have his exit point consumed.

“We’re trapped!” Twilight said, tears snaking there way down her face. “We’re not going to make it.” Big Mac had a stern look on his face.

“Maybe not, but I’m going to give you a fightin' chance.” As the flames came ever closer Big Mac pushed Twilight to the ground and placed himself over her shielding her from the heat. The fire crackled and reached out around him but he only held her tight beneath him. “I’m sorry Twilight.” He said before the smoke clouded over Twilight’s vision, and knocked her unconscious.